PDA

View Full Version : Apperantly no Rock Band 3 this year.

D Mac
04-12-2009, 02:49 PM
http://blog.wired.com/games/2009/01/no-rock-band-3.html

A bit of old news, but I didn't know until I googled Rock Band 3.

Well, this sounds sensible: Harmonix won't be releasing Rock Band 3 this year.

Harmonix CEO Alex Rigopulos, speaking at a CES conference session Wednesday, said that the company would not release a sequel to its popular music game for the 2009 holiday season. "We've actually made a choice to break out of the annual release cycle for Rock Band this year," Crispy Gamer quoted Rigopulos as saying. "[This is] partly because the annual cycle places limits on the choices you can make as a developer. We're trying to take a long term view."

While not churning out a yearly update to a music game might seem like anathema to some -- I certainly imagine that Activision CEO Bobby Kotick performed an exaggerated spit-take upon reading this news -- it's a smart move. First off, Harmonix already has the biggest game in its company's history, the Beatles title, to worry about. That'll be enough of a challenge for the already-stretched developer.

To add Rock Band 3 to the holiday lineup would mean that Harmonix would probably have to outsource its development, and we don't want that. What we're more likely to see is incremental upgrades to Rock Band 2. Rather than attempt to build a library of songs for a disc sequel, Harmonix can concentrate on just churning out top-quality content for its download store. And as we saw last year with the addition of the Music Store to the original Rock Band, big feature upgrades are also a possibility.

And considering that the so-called "music game glut" may have delivered lower-than-expected sales of both Guitar Hero and Rock Band this year, maybe that's another excellent reason for Harmonix wanting to have just one new game on shelves for Christmas.

Funky Fly
04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
It's better this way. It guarantees that neither RB3 nor this Beatles title will be half assed. And like the article says, they have new shit coming out every tuesday anyway. And downloadable game updates = win.

D Mac
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Well, now that we know they need to put the rest of Nirvana: Nevermind on here.

Teen Spirit, Come as You Are, and Lithium.

Kane Knight
04-12-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm with the Funkster. They updated Rock Band to give us new features and tweak gameplay. Hopefully, they fix some of my gripes, but I don't need RB 3 when I can buy DLC and get updates.

Plus, I'd rather get the Beatles game.

Kane Knight
04-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Well, now that we know they need to put the rest of Nirvana: Nevermind on here.

Teen Spirit, Come as You Are, and Lithium.

Odds are they're gonna hold of on those for a while.

Kalyx triaD
04-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Save RB3 for next gen altogether. Let Neversoft/GH kill one of their star franchises while Harmonix sets up something nice. My only gripe is that they're sleeping with MTV. Weird that "Music" Television is attached to something of quality - that plays music no less!

Kane Knight
04-14-2009, 04:51 PM
You really need some mood stabilizers.

Kalyx triaD
04-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I need for MTV to stop being gay.