PDA

View Full Version : Morrison/Bourne

Anybody Thrilla
04-15-2009, 01:20 PM
Did anybody see this match on ECW last night? Holy hell, that was a great TV match. They got something like twenty freakin' minutes, and it was amazing. I love when they have long matches on TV. It also didn't hurt to have two of my favorites in the match.

Anyway, unless the Supplemental Draft still has some more coming, it would appear they're both stuck on ECW. Could Morrison benefit from another ECW title run? Is Bourne ready for the title?

Discuss pretty much anything you'd like here. I really just wanted to sing praise for that match.

Jeritron
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
That was a fantastic match

Anybody Thrilla
04-15-2009, 01:28 PM
One thing I really enjoyed about the match was how 'smart' both guys were wrestling. There are a lot of moves in a wrestling match where I think to myself 'that shouldn't have worked' or 'that guy should have gotten out of the way', but those were pretty much minimized in this match. For example, when Morrison swept Bourne's feet from under him on the apron or when Bourne ran right behind Morrison as he hit the ropes and took him out over the top. A lot of close finishes and some great high impact offense from both guys.

I'd give it four stars, honestly.

ron the dial
04-15-2009, 01:47 PM
is the full match up anywhere? i missed it last night and they only have the end on wwe.com.

Damian Rey
04-15-2009, 01:48 PM
I agree. Morrison running back into the ring to drop kick Bourne's knee was awesome was well. They had a wonderful chemisrty, and it was nice to see a match given proper time.

BTW, Morrison's face right before he hit the moonlight drive was awesomeness.

Anybody Thrilla
04-15-2009, 01:50 PM
is the full match up anywhere? i missed it last night and they only have the end on wwe.com.

Juan could probably find it somewhere.

mike adamle
04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
morrison got drafted to sd

Juan
04-15-2009, 02:26 PM
It's playing right NOW!!

http://www.justin.tv/tpwwvault

#BROKEN Hasney
04-15-2009, 02:27 PM
morrison got drafted to sd

WOOOOOOOOOO I HAD NOT HEARD. HONEST!!!!

Anybody Thrilla
04-15-2009, 02:30 PM
It's playing right NOW!!

http://www.justin.tv/tpwwvault

I knew it.

Well, I guess that was a nice final match for Morrison on ECW.

ron the dial
04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
best match i've seen on tv in a long time.

Rammsteinmad
04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
I haven't seen it, but I'm gonna go ahead and say wow! What a brilliant match! Because it's Evan Bourne and John Morrison, so no doubt it was great!

Johnny Vegas
04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
was the match better than hbk/benjamin in '05?

Jeritron
04-15-2009, 04:55 PM
best match i've seen on tv in a long time.

Not just on any TV. On JUAN TV!

Mooияakeя™
04-15-2009, 05:00 PM
CHANNEL JUAN.

Oh how well that works :D

RGWhat316
04-15-2009, 08:13 PM
I was definitely surprised at how good the match was. It definitely proves that Morrison does not need Miz to be succesful.

Damian Rey
04-15-2009, 08:21 PM
was the match better than hbk/benjamin in '05?

I think the only thing that kept it from that level is that the crowd was rather dead for the majority of the match. But in terms of quality, and overall greatness, it's pretty close to being just as good.

St. Jimmy
04-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Evan Bouring

KaliKot
04-16-2009, 01:27 AM
I love how striker was going LARIAAAAATOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yeah awesome match although I kinda lacked morrison's flying moves the sick SSP from last week

Mr. Nerfect
04-16-2009, 05:17 AM
I can't wait to watch this match.

4 knuckles up
04-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Part 1:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6Wm3wGr91M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G6Wm3wGr91M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Part 2:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5t35Co5Tqgw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5t35Co5Tqgw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Krimzon7
04-16-2009, 09:55 AM
That.

was.

GREAT.

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
I think the only thing that kept it from that level is that the crowd was rather dead for the majority of the match. But in terms of quality, and overall greatness, it's pretty close to being just as good.

That seems to happen a lot on ECW. They churn out some beautiful matches sometimes and the crowd is almost always lukewarm at best. It's a shame, really. Do they film after Smackdown? If so, they're probably all worn out by then.

yeah awesome match although I kinda lacked morrison's flying moves the sick SSP from last week

I liked Morrison's lack of high-flying offense for two reasons:

1) In kayfabe turns, Morrison was the bigger individual in the match and Evan Bourne is known (and greatly praised) for his high-flying. Instead of trying to beat Bourne at his own game, Morrison was using his natural size advantage to his...well, advantage. Note the spot where he had Evan in what one of the announcer's called 'a modified torture rack'. Morrison has never used that move before. Why not? Because he's usually not the big guy in the match.

2) We all know Morrison can fly. We've seen it tons of times. This match just showed his versatility in being able to work a different type of match, and I'd say he worked really well here.

I didn't mean for this post to be so long, but WHATEVER.

ron the dial
04-16-2009, 11:11 AM
i think they film after RAW so yeah same idea

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I'm about to watch the match again on my DVR like a huge tool. BRB.

Mr. Nerfect
04-16-2009, 11:31 AM
It's almost come out of my mouth (so to speak) a few times in this thread, but I'm going to say it now. I'm about to go watch the match on TV now, but I actually heard some people say that the way the match was constructed was perfect. The style they worked, as Anybody Thrilla pointed out, with Morrison having no reason to fly; and the whole "that shouldn't have worked" factor being taken out, as Thrilla also said.

It doesn't sound like so much a choreographed dance, as two wrestlers actually trying to really beat the other guy using their strengths and appropriate strategies, which is what match psychology is pretty much about.

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Yeah buddy, that's how it went down. Enjoy.

Damian Rey
04-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Watched it again. I LOVE the spot where Bourne cross bodies Morrison as John's trying to bounceoff the ropes. Great spot there.

And in terms of the crowd, that blows for them that this was taped AFTER Raw. The crowd seemed semi hot during Raw. It's a shame they couldn't get going again for what was by far the best match that night.

Mr. Nerfect
04-16-2009, 12:56 PM
Just watched the match. Very impressed. Wished it had gone on longer, and normally a 20-minute match doesn't hold my attention. Some things I'd love to point out:

* John Morrison probably had no clue where he was going. After having The Miz turn on him, and not yet knowing if he was going to be drafted away, Morrison managed to play a character that was loyal to the John Morrison vibe, but seemed more "face-ish." Little nods to Bourne when they were circling to start, and not coming out with the Slammy, for example.

* Man, Evan Bourne can strike. Not sure if this was the first time he used some of those strikes, but I hadn't noticed it before. Seemed like real desperation, and it adds a "tough" quality to Bourne. He's not just a cruiserweight, but he's one that's feisty enough to knock your teeth out.

* You could tell how awesome the match was by how many fucking replays they showed.

* Josh Mathews & Matt Striker really added to the match, and have quite a fun chemistry. I really love both guys, and I really love both guys together.

* I keep hearing that the crowd was dead, but they seemed pretty into it, if you ask me. Chants for Evan, pops for the big spots, etc. Maybe it was piped in, and I just didn't notice or care, but I wouldn't say the crowd is dead. Seemed like they cared about both guys, and that they had the audience's attention in the palm of their hand.

* I loved the crossbody and kicking spots.

* Hopefully people in the WWE will take notice of this.

Mooияakeя™
04-16-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm not watching it on those movies above, though I really want to.

Instead, I'm gonna watching it in Haytch fucking Dee tonight.

Damian Rey
04-16-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm not watching it on those movies above, though I really want to.

Instead, I'm gonna watching it in Haytch fucking Dee tonight.

:y:

And in response to Noid...I remember the crowd getting some chants and a few light pops in, but nothing like it should've been. I felt that this should've gotten the same hotness as the Swagger/Cena match did.

And I haven't said until now, but I agree that the Striker/Matthews announce team is very good. I think in general, Striker is very, very good. He's very objective, and what I like most, is observant. he really adds to the psychology of the match with his little tidbits and analysis.

Anybody Thrilla
04-16-2009, 02:02 PM
One thing I noticed about Striker on Raw was that he was about the only guy commenting on what was actually happening in the match as opposed to what would happen due to the outcome. It was refreshing.

Mooияakeя™
04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Striker needs to add foreign object to his vocabulary. Then we will truly have a claimant to the throne of commentating, just like Justin Roberts is to announcing.

Damn I miss that word being used.

Damian Rey
04-16-2009, 03:02 PM
That would solidify him as hands down the best color man in WWE. Period. Striker is amazing in the booth. To me, he's by far the only color man to actually put guys over while calling what goes on during the match. His isnight and attention to detail really sets him apart from Lawler.

Striker really needs to be on Raw.

Juan
04-16-2009, 04:49 PM
ECW was taped before Smackdown BTW

Heyman
04-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Did anybody see this match on ECW last night? Holy hell, that was a great TV match.

Absolutely mind boggling that this match wasn't on RAW or Smackdown.....you know....where people actually watch.

Why these guys aren't on RAW is beyond me.

Krimzon7
04-17-2009, 01:34 AM
ECW was taped before Smackdown BTW

Thanks for the clarification. Superstars was taped before Raw this week, much to my chagrin. On one hand, I was happy to see Undertaker, but I would have Jizzed in my pants for this match live.