PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu or Muay Thai?

DaveBrawl
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I'm thinking about getting into a little training, not to be a pro fighter or anything of the sort, but more or less to get into shape, socialize a little more and kill boredom. I know some of you guys are deep into this stuff, and while I watch it and enjoy it I don't have the knowledge about certain styles like I'm sure some of you have. So that leads me into my question there is a gym in the next town over that teachs Muay Thai and another that teachs Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Which do you guys think would be more interesting? I've always been a wrestling fan and was on my high school team for a short while so I'm leaning more to the BJJ side, but like I said I really know very little about Muay Thai so there may be a lot involved in that as well. Educate me TPWW. Tell me which style you prefer.

Fabien Barthez
04-28-2009, 10:57 AM
It completely depends on whether you want to learn striking or grappling.

The Mask
04-28-2009, 11:19 AM
i don't know what the law is where you are but i'm pretty sure there are serious legal ramifications here if you continue a fight while your opponent is down here. not that it matters at the time but still. isn't there an mma school? that way you could get the best of both worlds.

DaveBrawl
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah I need to learn how to read apparently because the school with BJJ also has an MMA class along with BJJ and they added Muay Thai as well now (or just updated their website with it). They evidently also had a few guys end up at a state meet winning some medals so they must do a pretty good job.

http://www.zamoraboxing.com/

As for Fabien, I would like to learn both but grappling is more interesting to me than the striking. Although my striking is terrible. :lol:

Thanks for your help guys.

Impact!
04-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Do both

Reavant
04-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Do BJJ. Its easier to get in to and better all around for your body. Muey Thai is a great workout, but if you want to do something more than hitting pads, then you will be hitting eachother. If you want to do that, then by all means do it, but BJJ is a much more easy going environment, and the sparring is not as physically demanding. Plus theres so much stuff you can learn and become good at with BJJ. Im Muey Thai it comes down more often than not how athletic you are and how hard you want to push yourself. Also If you have a wrestling backround you are going to be a step ahead of any other BJJ beginner that doesnt.

DaveBrawl
04-29-2009, 12:35 PM
Yeah that is kind of what I was leaning towards. The best of both world's idea kind of interests me, but I think the BJJ may be the way I want to go. I was unsure of what all Muay Thai encompassed so I figured I'd ask. Thanks Reavant.