PDA

View Full Version : Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva at UFC 101

The Show Off
04-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Forrest Griffin vs. Anderson Silva, not Thiago Silva, set for UFC 101 (Updated)
by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Apr 28, 2009 at 12:20 pm ET

The Ultimate Fighting Championship will scrap a UFC 101 bout between former UFC light heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin (16-5 MMA, 7-3 UFC) and top contender Thiago Silva (13-1 MMA, 4-1 UFC) in favor of a Griffin vs. Anderson Silva (24-4 MMA, 9-0 UFC) match-up.

Sources close to the organization today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) a meeting was held last week to discuss the Anderson Silva vs. Griffin bout.

UFC President Dana White has since confirmed with Yahoo! Sports that the fight has been signed.

Anderson Silva, fresh off a heavily criticized title defense over Thales Leites at UFC 97, will now move up a weight class for the non-title fight with Griffin.

Although not officially announced by the organization, UFC 101 takes place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia. The event also features a UFC lightweight title fight between title-holder B.J. Penn and top contender Kenny Florian.

Rumors of the potential Anderson Silva vs. Griffin bout began showing up last week after some cryptic emails were sent to a variety of MMA news outlets. The flames were fanned when seemingly unsubstantiated reports of the rumored fight were posted on a few MMA message boards over the weekend.

Although the fight is now signed, a source close to Thiago Silva told MMAjunkie.com the fighter was unaware his fight with Griffin had been scratched. Even as of this morning, the fighter was apparently under the impression he was still scheduled to fight Griffin at UFC 101.

MMAjunkie.com first reported in March that the UFC had lined up the Thiago Silva vs. Griffin fight, which many considered a bout that would determined the light heavyweight division's No. 1 contender after Quinton Jackson. Jackson is scheduled to fight the winner of a UFC 98 bout between current champ Evans and Lyoto Machida later this summer.

The source isn't sure if Thiago Silva will remain on the UFC 101 card with a new opponent or if he'll be shifted to another event.

As for Anderson Silva, UFC officials wasted no time scheduling him for his next fight. He most recently fought on April 18 as a headliner for UFC 97. He entered the fight as a significant favorite, and though he won a lopsided unanimous-decision victory, Anderson Silva was criticized for what seemed a conservative game plan in which he opted not to follow Leites, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, to the ground.

UFC President Dana White called the fight "embarrassing" and "disappointing," and he openly questioned if Anderson Silva needed another challenge at 205 pounds. The fighter, who picked up a UFC record ninth straight victory with the Leites win, moved up to 205 pounds in July 2008 for a non-title fight with James Irvin, and the Brazilian striker has made no secret of his intentions to move up a weight class again in the future.

The UFC has obliged.

Stay tuned to MMAjunkie.com for more on this story.

And for complete coverage of UFC 101, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

DaveBrawl
04-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Should be awesome. Hopefully the rest of the card shapes up too.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-28-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, White said he was gonna force Anderson to fight - Forest will def press the action enough to make that happen.

Loose Cannon
04-28-2009, 05:21 PM
this is going to be amazing. yea, Griffin is going to go right at him. Silva is carrying some heat with him and I bet the crowd is going to be hot to see him get his ass whooped.

The Show Off
04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I'm going to say Giffin will lose if he goes right after Anderson like he did with Jardine, Ortiz and Bonnar but if he tries to stay to the outside and pick away at Anderson he might stand a shot. Griffin is a gigantic light-heavyweight definitly bigger than anyone Anderson has face at least recently. If I were Griffin I'd push Silva up again and use some of that Randy Couture dirty boxing.

Fabien Barthez
04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
The gauntlet has been laid down. This fight will deffinately answer the questions and settle the arguments in the other thread.

August is fucking miles away :(

Innovator
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Wow, Forrest is gonna have some serious weight on him come fight time

Rob
04-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Funny enough, a friend of mine who is very close to Dave Meltzer and Kevin Iole told me this morning UFC were lining up Keith Jardine to fight Anderson Silva. I said "what about Forrest Griffin" and he said "never gonna happen, they aren't that stupid".

I didn't think it was a bad idea and turns out the hunch was true. Should be a good fight. Forrest will probably outweigh Silva by a good 25lbs before bell time though and that's not a good thing.

The Show Off
04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Funny enough, a friend of mine who is very close to Dave Meltzer and Kevin Iole told me this morning UFC were lining up Keith Jardine to fight Anderson Silva. I said "what about Forrest Griffin" and he said "never gonna happen, they aren't that stupid".

I didn't think it was a bad idea and turns out the hunch was true. Should be a good fight. Forrest will probably outweigh Silva by a good 25lbs before bell time though and that's not a good thing.

They just announced that Jardine is facing Thiago Silva at 102.

I'd have to put my money on Silva since he overwhelms opponents but I'm hesitant since this is Jardine's fight after a loss which going by his career as of late (win-loss-win-loss) makes him a shoe in to win.

Rob
04-28-2009, 08:07 PM
That's another pick 'em fight too.

RP
04-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Who isnt rooting for Forrest too? All the guys Silva has faces, i havent been able to root for. Accept for maybe Dan Henderson. But Forrest is soo easy to root for in this match.

Also, If Forrest wins this fight, he's a MMA legend right? This would make him one of the all time greats.

The Show Off
04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Who isnt rooting for Forrest too? All the guys Silva has faces, i havent been able to root for. Accept for maybe Dan Henderson. But Forrest is soo easy to root for in this match.

Also, If Forrest wins this fight, he's a MMA legend right? This would make him one of the all time greats.

It wouldn't make him a legend I think beating Shogun and Rampage back to back will do more for his legacy than beating Anderson Silva. Most people can explain away the win on Forrest's part by saying he beat a guy he had a huge size advantage on.

RP
04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
His size advantage wont be that huge. Silva is a big Middleweight and will be a decent sized Lightweight once this fight happens.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
he walks around at 215, Forrest walks around at almost 240.

The Show Off
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
he walks around at 215, Forrest walks around at almost 240.

That and it'll be the first time in forever that someone will have a reach advantage on him.

Stickman
04-29-2009, 01:29 AM
Silva, KO round 2

Impact!
04-29-2009, 05:03 AM
Awesome...though I was kinda lookin forward to Griffin V Thiago.

Rob
04-29-2009, 06:21 AM
His size advantage wont be that huge. Silva is a big Middleweight and will be a decent sized Lightweight once this fight happens.

Silva isn't as big a middleweight as people think. He makes 185lbs with ease. He came in at 182lbs for the Leites fight. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he weighed in at less than 200lbs for the James Irvin fight too.

There is a very good chance Griffin could have 20-25lbs on Silva when they get in the cage.

RP
04-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Silva weighed in at 206 for the Irvin fight.

Fabien Barthez
04-29-2009, 10:14 AM
The fight is like, 14 weeks away as well. More than enough time for a few protein shakes and some time in the weight room.

Rob
04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
The fight is like, 14 weeks away as well. More than enough time for a few protein shakes and some time in the weight room.

GSP said he wouldn't move to 185lbs without at least 6 months in the gyn putting on solid muscle.

Fabien Barthez
04-29-2009, 10:40 AM
But GSP comes into the cage like a a chiseled rock, and Anderson comes in very very lean. Guys like Rich Franklin and Hendo can't have been far off what Forrest will cut from before they cut for the MW fights with him.

Rob
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
Franklin and Henderson never came into the cage in the 225-230lbs like Griffin will.

The Show Off
04-29-2009, 12:06 PM
Forrest Griffin is a legit 6'3" or 6'4" where as Franklin and Hendo are hovering around the 6 foot mark. I think the big factor in this fight is the reach. The reach was how Forrest was able to keep Rampage at bay and if Forrest can survive Rampage's knockout power he may be able to survive Andersons power which isn't as much as Rampage...

Don't get me wrong Anderson is a better more accurate more versatile striker, he just doesn't have as much power as Rampage, and if Forrest can stay out of range consistantly that'll bode well for him.

It'll be the first time Anderson fights someone he doesn't have a reach advantage on.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-29-2009, 02:02 PM
lol if you don't think Forrest Griffin would have a huge reach and weight advantage you're kidding yourself. Griffin made Shogun Rua look tiny. I realize Shogun's not the biggest dude in the world, but he is a pretty reasonably big guy.

Rob
04-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Forrest Griffin is a legit 6'3" or 6'4" where as Franklin and Hendo are hovering around the 6 foot mark. I think the big factor in this fight is the reach. The reach was how Forrest was able to keep Rampage at bay and if Forrest can survive Rampage's knockout power he may be able to survive Andersons power which isn't as much as Rampage...

Don't get me wrong Anderson is a better more accurate more versatile striker, he just doesn't have as much power as Rampage, and if Forrest can stay out of range consistantly that'll bode well for him.

It'll be the first time Anderson fights someone he doesn't have a reach advantage on.

Rampage has more KO power than Rashad Evans and Keith Jardine and Griffin couldn't handle those two. It's all relative. Anyone can be KO'd.

The Show Off
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Rampage has more KO power than Rashad Evans and Keith Jardine and Griffin couldn't handle those two. It's all relative. Anyone can be KO'd.

Very true but Griffin did stupid things in those fights because he probably thought he was equal to those guys in striking. Forrest has got to know he no where near the striker Anderson is. That's why I think he'll employ the tactic he used against Rampage long enough to press the smaller Anderson Silva into the cage and dirty box him

Funky Fly
04-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Should be a good ass card. I'm gonna be hitting up the bar a lot more this summer.

Rob
04-29-2009, 08:12 PM
I'm very excited at the thought of Brandon Vera kicking Matt Hamill's head off his shoulders.

The Show Off
04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm very excited at the thought of Brandon Vera kicking Matt Hamill's head off his shoulders.

One can only hope. Though I am somewhat afarid that Hamill will get the win.

Rob
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
Not if the real Brandon Vera shows up. And he looked very serious in his last fight. Hamill is never going to be able to hang with top guys. Vera on the other hand should be a top guy.

The Show Off
04-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Not if the real Brandon Vera shows up. And he looked very serious in his last fight. Hamill is never going to be able to hang with top guys. Vera on the other hand should be a top guy.

I totally agree but that's if the real Truth shows up, which after the way he looked against Jardine and Werdum I'm afraid might not happen.

Nark Order
04-29-2009, 11:36 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Maybe I'm missing it. Penn vs Florian at UFC 101 as well. It's about god damned time.

Reavant
04-30-2009, 12:11 AM

If you watch Rampage fight, all of his power comes from hooks and uppricuts. He does not throw many or have a lot of power in his strait punches. This is why guys like griffin and jardine and everyone else who wants to use reach can beat rampage if they stay smart. Guys like rampage cant hit you because hooks and uppers dont have range.

Silva does not use hooks and uppricuts very often and his knock out punches are all strait crosses. Something that forrest is going to have a huge problem with.

Again Rampage couldnt hit him, but he made a mistake on the range with jardine, and he apparently sucks off his back which is the only reason rashad beat him.

Forrest does not have a good chin at all. Hes just a smarter fighter now.

Mr. JL
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM
It's a big fight and even with Silva's recent performances, I don't think he is going to walk away with a loss. I think he may knock Forrest out, and rather quickly to be honest.

RP
04-30-2009, 06:29 AM
Ok what.

Stop just stop

Anderson Silva is 6'2 with a 77.5 reach

Griffin is 6'3 with a 77.0 reach

Silva weighed in at the Irvin fight as 206.

Lets just stop with the advantage bullshit and get your facts straight thx.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Ok what.

Stop just stop

Yeah cuz Silva didn't really have to cut weight for the fight. You're going to look at Forrest and Silva next to each other, and Forrest is going to look a lot bigger. So you... get YOUR facts straight.

Rob
04-30-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah cuz Silva didn't really have to cut weight for the fight. You're going to look at Forrest and Silva next to each other, and Forrest is going to look a lot bigger. So you... get YOUR facts straight.

I have to agree. Weighing 205lbs at the weigh ins and what you weigh going into the fight are two different things.

The Show Off
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
Ok what.

Stop just stop

You got those numbers from wikipedia. And height and reach don't always equal size. That's how Randy Couture and Georges St. Pierre who are essentially the same height fight 3 weight classes from one another.

Nark Order
04-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted yet. Maybe I'm missing it. Penn vs Florian at UFC 101 as well. It's about god damned time.

RP
04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
Anderson Silva has said in several interviews that his normal walk around weight is 220-230. He said this several times before the Irvin fights

So STFU

Funky Fly
04-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Whoa, are you suggesting this guy seriously cuts 35 to 40 pounds in weight? On a regular basis at that? He may have been 220 for that fight (at 205 pounds), but no way you can keep up that kind of dehydration/rehydration (all the way down to 185) and not destroy your organs (especially your kidneys). Besides, after a while you will stop sweating (a bad sign) anyway.

Furthermore, even if he was cutting that hardcore, how could he possible go down to 182 for the last fight? Those 3 extra pounds would have been murder on his system.

RP
04-30-2009, 05:56 PM
i'm not suggesting anything. He's said so himself.

Rob
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
His walk around weight isn't close to 230lbs.

Funky Fly
04-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Damn right, because he would be dead right now if it was. You can't cut that much weight and then fight world class mixed martial artists. Not fucking doable. You ever watch the Ultimate Fighter? Guys are practically dead after 25 pounds of weight cutting, let alone 40.

Rob
04-30-2009, 06:28 PM
To be fair, no fighter cuts weight in 48 hours like they do on that show. And even then, how many fighters on that show had to cut more than 15lbs in days. I can only really think of Jason Guida and Bobby Southworth.

Reavant
04-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Anderson Silva has said in several interviews that his normal walk around weight is 220-230. He said this several times before the Irvin fights

So STFU

Then he was just talking up himself for the fight so the media would shut up about the size difference or get in the head of his opponent. Theres no way he cuts that much.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah at most he walks around at 215.

RP
05-01-2009, 10:59 AM
yah Anderson Silva is a liar and we totally no more about his weight then he does. Yah.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-01-2009, 11:25 AM
If he walks around at 230 it's all in his gut mon ami.

I know what I see and Anderson Silva is nowhere close to the size of Forrest Griffin. Griffin could easily fight at heavyweight, he even holds a win over Jeff Monson.

Funky Fly
05-01-2009, 05:42 PM
yah Anderson Silva is a liar and we totally no more about his weight then he does. Yah.

It's not about if he's lying or not, IT'S FUCKING SCIENCE YOU ASSBAG. You can't cut that kind of weight.

Nark Order
05-01-2009, 06:15 PM
RPs logic clearly beats out the laws of science.

Reavant
05-01-2009, 07:06 PM

All fighters lie or say shit in interviews to fuck with their opponents. Like before a fight the fighter is going to say this is the best ive ever felt blah blah blah..... when theyve really broken a bone or got real sick in camp.

How many fighters predict theyre going to lose?

How many fighters say before a fight things werent right?

Not to mention he would have to be dropping almost 40% of his body weight everytime he had a fight. Call me crazy for thinking he was fibbing just a little bit.

Rob
05-02-2009, 04:00 PM
What do you know Reavant? You've never had to fight :shifty:

RP
05-03-2009, 07:34 AM
Cutting 45 pounds in 3-4 months, twice to three times a year, is not a medical miracle. You retards need to get a fucking clue already. Its nothing to do with science. The guy fights two or 3 times a year and has 3 to 4 month training camps. Its easily done. Plus you're argument is basically, even tho he says he does this, he's wrong. Just stop. You're wrong on all fronts.

Reavant
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
He said that in a prefight interview never in a post fight one. Im not saying hes wrong Im saying hes hyping a fight. Good to hear you believe whatever a person on TV says tho :y:

Nark Order
05-03-2009, 01:22 PM
But cutting weight and losing weight are completely different. Cutting is typically seen as getting rid of your water weight. Cutting 45 pounds in 3-4 months doesn't make any sense. If he walks around at 230, then he'd have to cut all that weight before a fight. If he actually lost some weight in training and then cut the rest, that would make more sense but then that would trounce your theory that he walks around at 230.

Terra Ryzin
05-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Cutting 45 pounds in 3-4 months, twice to three times a year, is not a medical miracle. You retards need to get a fucking clue already. Its nothing to do with science. The guy fights two or 3 times a year and has 3 to 4 month training camps. Its easily done. Plus you're argument is basically, even tho he says he does this, he's wrong. Just stop. You're wrong on all fronts.

If he is cutting weight for 3-4 months 2 - 3 times at year when does he have time to get it back? :wtf:

Rob
05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
If he is cutting weight for 3-4 months 2 - 3 times at year when does he have time to get it back? :wtf:

:lol: Game over right there.

RP
05-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Gaining 20-30 pounds takes about 25% of the effort it takes to lose 20-30 pounds. Dear God you guys are dumb.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-04-2009, 11:58 AM
Gaining 20-30 pounds takes about 25% of the effort it takes to lose 20-30 pounds. Dear God you guys are dumb.

:|

But he has to lose the weight you stupid fucking twit. Losing and gaining 45-50 pounds 3-4 times is absolutely the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard (which he'd have to lose to fight at 185).

Bottom line, a) you're a fucking ass and I don't like you and b) Forrest Griffin unless he chopped off a leg could not compete at 185, he is just wayyyyy too fucking big. He is a thick fucking mug, no two ways about it. Anderson Silva on the other hand can get allllllllllllllllll the way down to 182... who do you think is the bigger man?

Now... fuck off.

RP
05-04-2009, 06:17 PM
GOD YOU ARE FUCKING DUMB CRASH BANG NEWSTEAD. YOU ARE SO FUCKING DUMB I WANT TO REACH THROUGH THE COMPUTER AND CHOKE YOU TO DEATH WITH YOUR DUMBNESS. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

Nark Order
05-05-2009, 12:02 AM
TALKING IN CAPS MAKES HIM RIGHT

Reavant
05-05-2009, 01:16 AM
RP, Ive been cutting weight for almost 10 years of my life, Ive been around people who cut unbelievable amounts of weight my entire life with my time in wrestling and I am telling you that what anderson was saying was all hype for his fight at 205 not to mention you have to factor in that there might be a discrepencey in translating what he was really saying considering when Anderson speaks his translator is seriously censoring what he is actually saying.

Reavant
05-05-2009, 01:20 AM

yes putting on 20-30 pounds is much easier to put on than to get off, but lets just say that anderson is in tip top shape every fight. When someone is in really good shape, it is hard to put weight on especially if you remain physically active at all. To be able to put on that kind of weight right after a fight hed have to do nothing but sit in one place for about a month and triple his caloric intake with all fats and carbs. He would actually have to work hard to put that type of weight on.

The Mask
05-05-2009, 07:05 AM
MANCHESTER, England -- I'd read about the eating habits of junior welterweight champion Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton: the Double Whoppers and Indian curries, the french fries and pepperoni pizzas, the Peking duck and KFC. I've heard the nicknames: the Unfitman, Ricky Fatton. But it's hard to believe that Hatton, undefeated in 43 professional bouts, The Ring magazine's 2005 Fighter of the Year, is really, well, a lardo.

So I'm in a stuffy gym in Denton, a suburb of Manchester, England, to see for myself if the tabloid headlines about Hatton's excesses are true.

I'm not alone on this late-October day. More than two dozen fans (including, of all people, the Undertaker, of WWE fame) are gathered ringside as Hatton and trainer Billy "The Preacher" Graham strap up for pad work. They're prepping for the biggest fight of Hatton's life, a Dec. 8 pay-per-view bout with reigning pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather.

They go to work. Hatton stalks and pounces. Thwack! He springs forward and uncorks his trademark left-hook, straight-right combo. Thwackthwack!

"Think Floyd Mayweather can move this fast?" Graham yells to no one in particular.

I don't see a fat man. Sure, a beer belly might lurk beneath the heavy rubber sweat suit. But the fighter I'm watching deftly cuts off the ring, attacks quickly, then zips back before the counter can come. No way he could be the 5-foot-6 fighter who balloons from 140 or 147 to a postfight weight of 185.

Fabien Barthez
05-05-2009, 07:42 AM
Yeah. this was the point I was thinking of, but didn't really feel like getting involved to be slammed down by you 'in the know types'

Don't you fight at heavyweight Reav? and surely any weight you have gain and cut at anytime was a different ballgame because you are far from having a lean or athletic physique...

Ricky Hatton drops about 40lbs from the first day of his 12 week camp until weigh-ins. In addition to this, If you look at Silva's last 2 years of fights, he had Rich Franklin, Then 4 months later Dan Henderson, who he was noticably larger for than he was for Rich, indicating he cut more than usual, and his next fight was the 205 fight, which if i'm not mistaken, he knew was coming, but the opponent was the only questionable factor. What I'm saying is from the Franklin fight to the Irvin fight, he had 9 or so months to get larger, and he did. Having a big MW in the middle like Hendo made it less obvious it seems, but essentially, RP isn't as wrong as all you geniuses are lambasting him as.

Fabien Barthez
05-05-2009, 07:44 AM
:|

But he has to lose the weight you stupid fucking twit. Losing and gaining 45-50 pounds 3-4 times is absolutely the most ridiculous shit I've ever heard (which he'd have to lose to fight at 185).

Bottom line, a) you're a fucking ass and I don't like you and b) Forrest Griffin unless he chopped off a leg could not compete at 185, he is just wayyyyy too fucking big. He is a thick fucking mug, no two ways about it. Anderson Silva on the other hand can get allllllllllllllllll the way down to 182... who do you think is the bigger man?

Now... fuck off.

Genius number 1.

Didn't you say Forrest had the MUCH bugger reach as well?

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Genius number 1.

Didn't you say Forrest had the MUCH bugger reach as well?

In that case I'd prolly be wrong. But there is no doubt he is that far bigger dude, if you don't think that then I dunno... you're a bigger twit than I thought you were. And I already thought you were a pretty big twit.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-05-2009, 11:35 AM
If Anderson Silva gets up to 230 pounds, it is mostly in his belly. When Forrest Griffin gets up to 230, there is not much fat. Everyone knows Forrest is a gigantic 205er. I don't see what's so fucking hard to understand about this?

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-05-2009, 11:50 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OMLYyLC8HTo/SGFCS83-rUI/AAAAAAAAJKM/SHq32kOaF0o/s400/Forrest+Griffin4.jpg

http://media.ufc.tv/i.cfc?method=get&w=550&cs=1&s=38A08610-1422-0E8C-9AE3394E9DA42438.jpg

Both of them at 205

-edit-

Look how dehydrated/more chiseled forrest is at the weight. Not to say Anderson looks bad or anything, just Forrest is a bohemoth at the weight.

Rob
05-05-2009, 01:16 PM
Don't confuse cutting weight and losing weight. Hatton loses a legit 25lbs before cutting 10lbs-ish so he can go back into the ring hydrated with added weight. A lot of the UFC fighters actually cut up to 20lbs in a week so they can do into the cage with that added weight or as much as it as possible. Anderson Silva isn't coming into the cage at middleweight weighing over 20lbs on the day.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Don't confuse cutting weight and losing weight. Hatton loses a legit 25lbs before cutting 10lbs-ish so he can go back into the ring hydrated with added weight. A lot of the UFC fighters actually cut up to 20lbs in a week so they can do into the cage with that added weight or as much as it as possible. Anderson Silva isn't coming into the cage at middleweight weighing over 20lbs on the day.

That's what I was trying to say.

Fabien Barthez
05-05-2009, 09:29 PM
I know all this but what I was saying is Rp got harpooned for suggesting that Anderson cannot gain and lose 40lbs between his last fight and his following one from Forrest, and what I'm saying is he has enough time before the fight to significantly bulk up, reasonably adding 15-20lbs of muscle in this time, and the rest just loose weight. He could then cut weight in the final week before the weigh ins and end up in the fight within 5-10lbs of forrest.

And from there, he could work it all down in the gym in 4 months before the next fight and find himself in the position to be cutting for middleweight.

If he has one fight every 4 months, which he pretty much does, and one in the middle of those 3 is the LHW fight, he essentially has a minimum of 8 months to control his BMI. And he know when his LHW fights are due, its all in his contract.

Nobody questioned that forrest is physically larger. It didn't need any picture or you telling me how lovely and sculpted Forrest is at a weigh in. What you say in the start of the post I quoted was that it is rediculous for a fighter to manipulate his weight by 40lbs either way in 4 months and what I say is you are fucking wrong. And I was equating you being wrong about this to you being wrong about the reach difference.

this discussion is about weight, not about mass and size, will he have a similar muscular build by fight time? No. But that was never the argument.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-05-2009, 10:45 PM
I know all this but what I was saying is Rp got harpooned for suggesting that Anderson cannot gain and lose 40lbs between his last fight and his following one from Forrest, and what I'm saying is he has enough time before the fight to significantly bulk up, reasonably adding 15-20lbs of muscle in this time, and the rest just loose weight. He could then cut weight in the final week before the weigh ins and end up in the fight within 5-10lbs of forrest.

And from there, he could work it all down in the gym in 4 months before the next fight and find himself in the position to be cutting for middleweight.

If he has one fight every 4 months, which he pretty much does, and one in the middle of those 3 is the LHW fight, he essentially has a minimum of 8 months to control his BMI. And he know when his LHW fights are due, its all in his contract.

Nobody questioned that forrest is physically larger. It didn't need any picture or you telling me how lovely and sculpted Forrest is at a weigh in. What you say in the start of the post I quoted was that it is rediculous for a fighter to manipulate his weight by 40lbs either way in 4 months and what I say is you are fucking wrong. And I was equating you being wrong about this to you being wrong about the reach difference.

this discussion is about weight, not about mass and size, will he have a similar muscular build by fight time? No. But that was never the argument.

That was my argument. People were saying size wouldn't be a factor. Size is a factor, Forrest is the much larger man, and can bull him around.

Eat my balls.

Fabien Barthez
05-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Erm, not really they weren't. People were saying Forrest will outweigh Silva by around 30lbs, and that Silva didn't cut down for the Irvin fight and I say that is not correct.

Nobody is actually having this argument you keep making.... Like, you keep trying to prove your point that nobody is at all challenging you to do.

What sort of oxygen-starved brainiac comes to a message board to have discussions purely with himself, and rebut to what people say with a different argument?

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Ok what.

Stop just stop

That's what I was arguing with you prick. The reach is one thing, but size is another.

So Fabien, how about... never mind, words cannot describe how much of a wang you are.

RP
05-06-2009, 12:17 PM
Its not that big of a size difference. Its really not.

Fabien Barthez
05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
He was responding to Rob saying he weighed under 200lbs for that fight. At that point, the argument was that Anderson won't even weigh 205. Not the same thing.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-06-2009, 05:10 PM
He was responding to Rob saying he weighed under 200lbs for that fight. At that point, the argument was that Anderson won't even weigh 205. Not the same thing.

Me and him were arguing about something different. Rob and my arguments happened to coincide in certain cases.

Cut your losses... this is b/w myself and RP and he appears to be a big boy.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Its not that big of a size difference. Its really not.

We'll see come fight time.

Fabien Barthez
05-06-2009, 05:46 PM
I don't know how to argue with someone who makes it up as he trundles, so whatever.

Rob
05-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Why are people still going on about that?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he weighed in at less than 200lbs for the James Irvin fight too.

I got corrected and yet people are still harping on about

And where was the arguement that Anderson Silva wouldn't make 205lbs? It was people denying Forrest Griffin would be a legit 20lbs plus heavier come fight time. Anderson Silva won't be in that cage weighing 225-230lbs. Forrest Griffin will very easily.

Fabien Barthez
05-07-2009, 04:51 PM
But, nobody denied that. Just read back. That's why this guy keeping on arguing this is so frustrating.

Rob
05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Actually, RP said Anderson Silva walks around at 225-230lbs and when asked if he was saying he cuts over 40lbs to make weight, he said he didn't have to because Anderson Silva said it.

Anderson Silva hasn't said this anywhere I've looked. I'm just saying.

Also, RP mentioned that Silva weighed in at 206 for the Irvin fight and used that to talk up his arguement to how Forrest Griffin will not have a weight advantage on the night.

You telling me you agree with that?

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-07-2009, 05:45 PM
RP kept on denying it then you started agreeing with him you fucking tit.

Also I'm pretty sure I read an interview with Silva saying he walked around at 215. But it's a moot point now anyways.

Terra Ryzin
05-07-2009, 08:55 PM
kinda funny that i google "anderson silva walkaround weight" and just about all the results are message boards with people arguing over his weight

The Mackem
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Does this thread rank high?

RP
05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Silva isn't as big a middleweight as people think. He makes 185lbs with ease. He came in at 182lbs for the Leites fight. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure he weighed in at less than 200lbs for the James Irvin fight too.

There is a very good chance Griffin could have 20-25lbs on Silva when they get in the cage.

Silva weighed in at 206 for the Irvin fight.

This is what was actually said Rob. Its on the first page.

The Show Off
05-08-2009, 10:30 PM
The reason I believe that Forrest is a bigger fighter because he's always fought at 205 and couldn't possibly make a 185 weight class, his body is just too big to allow that, where as Anderson Silva makes 185 regularly and in his fight against Yushin Okami weighed in at 174lbs and that was only a little over 3 years ago between the ages of 30 and 34 your body doesn't change at all.

So since Anderson Silva could make a 174 weight when he was thirty years old and the fact that the best of my knowledge Forrest has never faught below 204/205 I think that Forrest Griffin is a bigger fighter.

But this is all just conjecture but we'll find out who's bigger when they go head to head.

Rob
05-09-2009, 05:13 AM
This is what was actually said Rob. Its on the first page.

Er... I just fucking quoted myself saying that.

I said Silva makes weight at 185lbs with ease - FACT.

I said he weighed 182lbs for the Leites fight - FACT.

I said someone could correct me if he didn't weigh 199lbs for the Irvin fight and I got correct and never argued back - FACT.

I said there is a very good chance Griffin would have a 20-25lbs weight advantage against Silva on the night of their fight and he will - FACT

In the words of Kimbo Slice - "I'm done Gus".

Fabien Barthez
05-11-2009, 07:46 AM
That last one isn't a fact. It is a presumption. And you have no argument because it is May, and not August right now. Unless of course, you are going to his Weight Watchers class every week until then.

As of the end of the Lietes fight, he has about 9 months until he needs to make 185lbs again. It's preposturous to suggest that he won't close the weight gap more than what you suggested Rob.

Rob
05-11-2009, 11:01 AM
How is it? Have you ever been to a gym? You can't put on 20lbs of solid muscle and keep it during a weight cut process within 3 months without steroids. It just can't be done. The only other way he puts on the weight and keeps it during his training is by adding body fat and he won't be doning that.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-11-2009, 01:08 PM
You can only put on I think like 1 and a third pounds of muscle a month if you are working your balls off unless you are on steroids apparently. You can't just up and put 20 pounds of muscle on.

Rob
05-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Don't worry, they won't listen Dale.

Fabien Barthez
05-11-2009, 08:32 PM
I said he will close the gap, not match him. You can add way more muscle than that if you have the right workout and diet plan. He could put on 12lbs of muscle pretty easily in this time.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I said he will close the gap, not match him. You can add way more muscle than that if you have the right workout and diet plan. He could put on 12lbs of muscle pretty easily in this time.

Pretty easily? lmfao shut the fuck up.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
05-12-2009, 12:48 AM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8361/cripplefightc11756058.jpg

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-12-2009, 01:33 AM
You know this thread is totally beating a dead horse and I should have stopped a long time ago, but I can't help but argue with Fabien because he is such an immense douchebag.

Rob
05-12-2009, 03:30 AM

Get off the drugs.

Fabien Barthez
05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
You can only put on I think like 1 and a third pounds of muscle a month if you are working your balls off unless you are on steroids apparently.

So what makes what you say, with such confidence in what you are saying, correct, and me so fucking wrong?

You have literally just made up something to back up what you are saying. My brother owns gyms. His business is mens health and fitness. But I suppose his knowledge compared to your 'facts' is redundant, right?

I mean, working your balls off to gain muscle mass. You are literally still as stupid as when you were tragically spawned. Go and read a men's health magazine, go talk to someone who runs a gym. I can take being spoken to like a piece of shit, merely for disagreeing with someone, but when your point proving comebacks contain 'I think's and 'aparently's then as far as i'm concerned my arguing is done for me.

I too am getting bored of this, having some twat dispell things I know with things 'he think's....... apparently.

Fabien Barthez
05-12-2009, 07:47 AM
How is it? Have you ever been to a gym? You can't put on 20lbs of solid muscle and keep it during a weight cut process within 3 months without steroids. It just can't be done.

Well, I disagree. I have been to a gym, several, many times. Until someone here can come up with some sort of solid factual information about this, you are as full of shit as you think I am.

disagree with that? tell me how I am wrong without any evidence to back up what you say? And tell me why its so audacious for me to suggest you are wrong on the same grounds as you suggest me?

Drugs are way safer than your hypocracy Berty.

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-12-2009, 08:12 AM
Your brother owning multiple gyms just means he is a good businessman.

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-12-2009, 08:13 AM
Also doesn't someones metabolism come into play when concerning muscle gain?

Fabien Barthez
05-12-2009, 09:03 AM
It more means he started a business he was passionate about, as this was his goal. And with this being your sole focus, you are inevitably going to garner a level of expertise on the subject.

Yeah, metabolism, personal fitness levels, diet, rest is one of the most fundamental factors in muscle growth. Muscle grows during resting periods, so regulating your workout/rest ratio based on how your body reacts best can produce way way way more rapid results than someone who thinks 'I wanna get big, I'm just going to spank the gym every day until my veins pump fire'

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-12-2009, 09:28 AM
It more means he started a business he was passionate about, as this was his goal. And with this being your sole focus, you are inevitably going to garner a level of expertise on the subject.

Someone owning multiple locations of a certain business does not automatically mean that person has any passion for that endeavor. Also in this position you can have no idea about anything except actually running a business and assigning someone to run the day to day operation. There are plenty of people who open businesses just for the sake of making money.

Rob
05-12-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, I disagree. I have been to a gym, several, many times. Until someone here can come up with some sort of solid factual information about this, you are as full of shit as you think I am.

disagree with that? tell me how I am wrong without any evidence to back up what you say? And tell me why its so audacious for me to suggest you are wrong on the same grounds as you suggest me?

Drugs are way safer than your hypocracy Berty.

Two words - Fuck off.

Fabien Barthez
05-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Well, no mate. If that is all you have in response for my challenging your imperial wizdom, then maybe you should.

Rob
05-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Well you talk about me providing facts to prove you wrong. Why aren't you providing said facts to prove us wrong?

And what hypocracy is this you speak of too?

Actually, don't bother answering. I'll have more chance getting a sane answer from my socks.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-12-2009, 10:41 PM
So what makes what you say, with such confidence in what you are saying, correct, and me so fucking wrong?

You have literally just made up something to back up what you are saying. My brother owns gyms. His business is mens health and fitness. But I suppose his knowledge compared to your 'facts' is redundant, right?

I mean, working your balls off to gain muscle mass. You are literally still as stupid as when you were tragically spawned. Go and read a men's health magazine, go talk to someone who runs a gym. I can take being spoken to like a piece of shit, merely for disagreeing with someone, but when your point proving comebacks contain 'I think's and 'aparently's then as far as i'm concerned my arguing is done for me.

I too am getting bored of this, having some twat dispell things I know with things 'he think's....... apparently.

I work at a gym you fucking tosser. I also lift weights. Do you know the difference in someone's appearance when they put on even 10 pounds of muscle, they look absolutely fucking jacked. putting on 10 pounds of muscle is MASSIVE.

You're a stupid cunt.

Reavant
05-13-2009, 01:37 AM
jesus christ!... ok yes it is possible for people to put on pounds of muscle in short periods of time without steroids. These types of people are very knowledgeable and skilled in working their own body chemestry and training regimens. However they are almost certainly people that are focused only in traing weights. Ie body builders or power lifters. To be able to make gains in muscle like that you have to be devoting all you training to lifting. Not intense cardio trainging, not boxing, not muey thai, not jujitsu...

We are not talking about lifters you see in a gym, we are talking about MMA fighters, especially anderson silva. The argument that he is putting muscle on is especially ammusing because he has incredably low muscle tone compaired to probably 90% of his fellow fighters at his weight class. Plus him putting weight on like that would make him big and bulky, thus causing his body to move differently, and slow down. (why you dont see many bodybuilders as fighters)

Fabien Barthez
05-13-2009, 08:14 AM
Well you talk about me providing facts to prove you wrong. Why aren't you providing said facts to prove us wrong?

And what hypocracy is this you speak of too?

Actually, don't bother answering. I'll have more chance getting a sane answer from my socks.

Because I'm not the one who is shooting the other down. All I've had is aggressive knockdowns from you and that other dickhead (who out of the blue, works in a gym, didn't see that coming from the master of bullshit)

I was told by you superstars of arguing that the most you can put on is 1 1/3rd lbs of muscle a month. Which is total bollocks. You could throw a dart at a board blindfolded and land on a number more accurate to the truth.

You are a hypercrite because you are arguing with the same lack of evidence as me, yet everything you say is 100% accurate, and every disagreement has called for you to disregard my reading of this thread, tell me to fuck off, inscinuate I am on drugs, because I don't agree with you, and now I'm insane.

Yet, you still prove nothing. Arguments aren't won on siding with knobheads and just insulting your way to victory. Scarily, you are actually older than me, and yet you want a playground argument, and siding with this wanker who is literally just making stats up one every 3 hours. As fast has his brain can produce them.

Reav, 10-12lbs isn't that much. It's a similar defecit to what Rich Franklin put on muscle-wzie from his last MW fight to his following 205 fights. Granted he is very lean, but he is still a more than comfortable size for MW. 10 solid lbs added for his forrest fight are hardly going to restrict his speed and movement to a point they jeprodise him.

Fabien Barthez
05-13-2009, 08:22 AM
Oh, and post your sig gym king newstead. Let us all marvel at the physique you are currently chisseling out with all your knowledge and because you are a (SHIRT) lifter and working a gym andLIES.....

How do you get such definition in your arms dude? tell me your secrets to physical perfection.

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-13-2009, 09:28 AM
Oh, and post your sig gym king newstead. Let us all marvel at the physique you are currently chisseling out with all your knowledge and because you are a (SHIRT) lifter and working a gym andLIES.....

How do you get such definition in your arms dude? tell me your secrets to physical perfection.

lol god you're a fag

Ol Dirty Dastard
05-13-2009, 09:30 AM
Oh and wait, let's look at a picture from me a year ago, when I hadn't been lifting any weights. (plus I look marvelous in a dress)

Fabien Barthez
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
insults and lies.

The Show Off
05-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I just started this thread to talk about the possabilities of this awesome fight and what has this become?

I've been on TPWW for over 8 years and this is one of the longest threads I've started and the people on it are barley talking about the subject I started. It was partially my fault so whatever.

Got I love The People's Wrestling Website.

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
I just started this thread to talk about the possabilities of this awesome fight and what has this become?

I've been on TPWW for over 8 years and this is one of the longest threads I've started and the people on it are barley talking about the subject I started. It was partially my fault so whatever.

Got I love The People's Wrestling Website.
Dont blame yourself, blame society.

Reavant
05-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Reav, 10-12lbs isn't that much. It's a similar defecit to what Rich Franklin put on muscle-wzie from his last MW fight to his following 205 fights. Granted he is very lean, but he is still a more than comfortable size for MW. 10 solid lbs added for his forrest fight are hardly going to restrict his speed and movement to a point they jeprodise him.

again... look at his muscle tone compaired to rich franklin.

Also look at the way the two fight. Rich uses more strength and power when he fights which would be improved by gains in muscle mass. Anderson fights with speed and accuracy. Something that putting on 10-12 pounds of muscle would hinder.

Rob
05-13-2009, 01:07 PM
Because I'm not the one who is shooting the other down. All I've had is aggressive knockdowns from you and that other dickhead (who out of the blue, works in a gym, didn't see that coming from the master of bullshit)

I was told by you superstars of arguing that the most you can put on is 1 1/3rd lbs of muscle a month. Which is total bollocks. You could throw a dart at a board blindfolded and land on a number more accurate to the truth.

You are a hypercrite because you are arguing with the same lack of evidence as me, yet everything you say is 100% accurate, and every disagreement has called for you to disregard my reading of this thread, tell me to fuck off, inscinuate I am on drugs, because I don't agree with you, and now I'm insane.

Yet, you still prove nothing. Arguments aren't won on siding with knobheads and just insulting your way to victory. Scarily, you are actually older than me, and yet you want a playground argument, and siding with this wanker who is literally just making stats up one every 3 hours. As fast has his brain can produce them.

Stick the the name calling. Everything you say is blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

And blah.

Reavant
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I suppose if you really wanted a rise out of him you could say manchester is a bunch of sissys

Fabien Barthez
05-14-2009, 05:09 AM
again... look at his muscle tone compaired to rich franklin.

Also look at the way the two fight. Rich uses more strength and power when he fights which would be improved by gains in muscle mass. Anderson fights with speed and accuracy. Something that putting on 10-12 pounds of muscle would hinder.

For sure. But would I be wrong in saying Anderson was a bigger built guy pre-UFC? My point being that maybe increased level of competition encouraged him to improve speed and accuracy to succeed..... He may not have been that much bigger at all....

Fabien Barthez
05-14-2009, 05:11 AM
Stick the the name calling. Everything you say is right, and I have to resort to total nonsence because I literally have zero comebacks.

And defeat.

Fabien Barthez
05-14-2009, 05:17 AM
Oh, and if he put 70% ish of the weight gain on below the ribcage, I don't see how it could be considered hinderance that much.

Reavant
05-14-2009, 11:07 AM
For sure. But would I be wrong in saying Anderson was a bigger built guy pre-UFC? My point being that maybe increased level of competition encouraged him to improve speed and accuracy to succeed..... He may not have been that much bigger at all....

The weight class in pride was actually 183 not 185 so I would presume that he was possibly smaller then than he would be now

Reavant
05-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Oh, and if he put 70% ish of the weight gain on below the ribcage, I don't see how it could be considered hinderance that much.

I hope you just mean leg muscle because putting weight on or right below the rip cage is pretty much only going to be fat and if you mean to tell me that any extra fat isnt a hinurance, then Id say you have lost all credibility and need to read up on your health books (by the way Im not considering the upper back and pecs as weight on the rib cage)

Fabien Barthez
05-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Cage Rage was 185. But if he came into the Lietes fight at 182, its neither here nor there, i'm just saying i reckon he looked bigger, and cut more weight...

I was talking majority legs yes. stronger abs and groin, but you can only work so much there in a short time.

Everything above the ribcage directly affects striking, whereas below only improves.... although kicks and other mechanics of MMA vary all that, but that's what I mean by below the ribcage.

Reavant
05-14-2009, 04:06 PM
mmmmk.... abs and groin muscles dont really grow when you work them. You dont work your core like you would the larger muscle groups. To build muscle strength and size you have to do heavy weight short rep exercises, and you can to that with core muscles I guess, but they dont work that way effectiovely and doing that to train for MMA is retarded. You work the core with high repitition exercises that condition your core muscles to not tire. Threfore while they will become more dense, they will not increase in size that would warrant a significant weight gain that strength training the larger muscle groups would do.

Also hes been on like 5 different countdown shows, has he ever once been doing serious strength training on his legs?

anyway, if he looked bigger THEN and was cutting more weight THEN and hes not as big now... what point are you trying to make? This whole thread was about how anderson cuts from like 230 lbs every fight and how thats absurd.

Fabien Barthez
05-15-2009, 06:51 AM
He has never been on these shows for a 205 fight.... all of this is pure speculation right now.

My point was he has potential to be bigger built, and looked more devastating then than he has of late tbf.

My entire point here is that in the timeframe available, it would not be impossible to put on enough lean mass to close the fight time weight difference to around 10lbs instead of 25-30.