PDA

View Full Version : Drag Me to Hell..

Kris P Lettus
05-10-2009, 05:33 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRi1A7-4--M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KRi1A7-4--M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Better have a Bruce Campbell appearance..

Fignuts
05-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Yeah, lookin forward to this.

Danny Electric
05-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Really want to see this.

Gonzo
05-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Looks decent. Horror films are hard to do well.

DaveWadding
05-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Also looking forward to this.

G
05-10-2009, 10:52 PM
YES, remember hearing about this on Howard awhile back. Exciting stuff

Alan The Rapist
05-17-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm really not impressed by the trailer. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hanso Amore
05-17-2009, 09:05 PM
Looks like every other shitty horror movie to come out in the last few years.

it has a great behind the scenes crew. But Meh. Hope it ends up better than the Unborn/Exorcism of blah blah blah/Haunting of Wherever.

Danny Electric
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
Got a feeling that this will be alot better than those.

Mr. Nerfect
05-20-2009, 10:44 AM
Looks decent. Horror films are hard to do well.

Horror films are incredibly easy to do well. The reason they aren't done well is because a lot of the directors are too obsessed with their own "twisted genius," and they make money being in the creative rut they are in.

The concept behind horror is to take a girl to a movie, get her scared by the predictable stuff that the guy knows is coming, so he can hold her arm while she freaks out. Then he gets laid later, and the movie-makers make money. Everybody wins, except those out there that appreciate actual frightening horror cinema.

The market for that is a lot smaller than what you'd actually expect, because when it comes down to it, a movie is either meant to be fun, or help you grow in some sort of way. When people are going to be "scared," they want it to be in a fun way. Or else then things become too "real."

bigdaddysuperfreak
05-20-2009, 10:48 AM
I never knew movie studios took into consideration the date fucking ratio when deciding on what movies to make.

deathtrap
05-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Haha what rubbish, make horror films for someone to get their end away

Apparently Raimi is writing Evil Dead 4 too

Mr. Nerfect
05-21-2009, 06:31 AM
I never knew movie studios took into consideration the date fucking ratio when deciding on what movies to make.

They take demographics very much into consideration, believe it or not.

The Gold Standard
05-26-2009, 02:04 AM
I dont think it looks good at all. IDK what all the hype is about. Last time I checked on RT, it was 100%

Jeritron
05-26-2009, 02:16 AM
Just from the looks of it, it seems like one of dozens of shitty modern horror films. It has "the look" and fits the trend, and doesn't look too good in trailers.

The thing is though, horror movies have to be experienced and it's probably harder than any other genre to get a real impression from trailers.

So, even though it looks lame, it sounds good. Those behind it are reputable, and it's gotten nothing but rave reviews.

Verdict: Gonna check it out.

D Mac
05-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Apparently Raimi is writing Evil Dead 4 too

:love::love::love:

Jeritron
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
That's what they've been saying for years but last I heard it was going to be a reboot, without Bruce Campbell, directed by someone else.

He's just helping it get made so he can get his chunk. I think he's doing Spiderman 4 and 5 next, which will take up a couple years of his life, and see Bruce Campbell age more.

Fignuts
05-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I heard that the reboot and ED 4 were seperate projects, with raimi on 4, and someone else on the reboot.

D Mac
05-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Nobody could compare to Bruce as Ash.

Jeritron
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
I heard that the reboot and ED 4 were seperate projects, with raimi on 4, and someone else on the reboot.

Well if so then it's a footrace. Raimi would have to make his before the reboot happened.
Once the reboot happens, they aren't going to make sequels to the original still.

Extreme Angle
05-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Just got back from the cinema, pretty good tbh

D Mac
05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
This looks like it's a rip off the TV show Supernatural.

Exyle
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Just saw this.

Honestly, thought it was "okay" at best. Not genuinely frightening like horror movies of old, but just periodically startling in a manner that becomes somewhat annoying before long.

If you've ever seen a "screamer" on Youtube, you've seen Drag Me to Hell.

Plot is decent, but predictable:
Anyone who didn't see the button/coin switch coming is retarded.

Jeritron
05-30-2009, 03:55 AM
This movie is FANTASTIC. It's very well made, and well written.
It's just entertaining top to bottom in several different ways.

First of all, I think you have to be an Evil Dead fan to really appreciate this movie...but I still think the average person will enjoy it, since it's so damn well done. The entire theater I was in was having a blast.

Anyways, it's supsenseful. It's not that scary of a movie. It's tense as hell though. It's an excercise in the craft of Hitchcockian suspense. The reward is scares and jumps. Some better than others. That's the extent of the scariness, other than the premise.
Surrounding the premise is also this damned feeling of doom and helplessness that I really liked.

A big part of what made this movie special was the humor. It amazed me how a movie could balance scares and laughs legitimately. Usually, one is sacrificed for the other. Not here. It was as outrageously funny as Evil Dead II, while also having parts that were genuinely creepy.
As good as the Evil Deads are, they are never scary and at times this is.

The execution was amazing. The music, and the presentation are a big part of what made this great. Obviously Sam Raimi knows what he's doing, but the use of music and smash cut title screens was fantastic.
Right down to the very detail, it is authentic "old school" horror. You'll know this the second the opening credits roll, and you see the 1970s Universal logo.

Funny, gripping, creepy, interesting, and damn entertaining. I was a huge fan of this movie.
I think being a horror fan helps.
The horror genre is so awful, and the rare gems are what make it worth continuing. This was a gem, and the type of horror movie I've been waiting for a long time.
I'd best describe it as a mix between Evil Dead II and the occult thriller horrors of the 1970s (Omen, Rosemary's Baby, Amityville Horror, etc.)

The marketing for this film was terrible. It was underpromoted, and what was shown was done in a way to make it look like another forgettable, cheesy, trendy BAD horror movie.
It couldn't be further from that.

Jeritron
05-30-2009, 04:01 AM
just saw a new classic 80s horror, only its 2009. Damn.

Fignuts
02-09-2010, 12:51 AM
lol just saw this on dvd.

Dunno. They were definitely going for an evil dead II feel, but at times the movie takes itself so seriously, that the goofy parts just seem to contrast it too much. Still enjoyable, but I don't agree that the humor and horror were balanced well.