PDA

View Full Version : The Road

FearedSanctity
05-15-2009, 06:57 AM
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwtaIe1P0Q4&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

A father and his son walk alone through burned America. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. It is cold enough to crack stones, and, when the snow falls it is gray. The sky is dark. Their destination is the coast, although they don't know what, if anything, awaits them there. They have nothing: just a pistol to defend themselves against the lawless bands that stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food--and each other.

Read about this movie on Slashfilm about a week ago. Really looking forward to this. Release date is October 16th

Downunder
05-15-2009, 10:41 AM
28 Days Later?

Skippord
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
pretty pumped for that

gonna buy the book in a few days

Zen v.W.o.
05-15-2009, 03:52 PM
28 Days Later?

Hardly. The trailer is done in order to cash in on the opening weekend, and for it to look more glossy towards the oscars, but the movie is dark and dismal, and the trailer doesnt give you a true understanding of how the film is really gonna go down. It's not an action flick in the least.

But the movie should own.

KillerWolf
06-03-2010, 02:54 PM
since the Hollywood video in my town has closed, and i had high expectations for this movie, i went ahead and bought before renting. my expectation of this movie was that of an appocalyptic/post appocalyptic film done right. no 2012, John Cusack, CGI fest - garbage.

i'm not saying that the movie was terrible, and it does have it's good points, but it did not work for me. i actually found this downer of a film to be a little boring. believe me, i wasnt looking for explosions, CGI, gunfights, or anything else in particular, but hell, there aint even a whole lot of dialogue in this movie.

my honest synopsis of this film is this: watch a father and son slowly starve to death while they forage through a bleak, grey landscape. for two hours. and not much else.

also, those other fine actors who have credit on the cover of the DVD (Robert Duvall; Guy Pierce) actually do little more than make breif cameos in the film. it's pretty much just Mortenson and the kid...slowly starving as they forage through a bleak, grey landscape...for two hours...and not much else.

thedamndest
06-03-2010, 04:39 PM
The book is excellent for all the reasons that would make it not a good movie.

Jeritron
06-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Does the book give any more clarification on the "missing thumb" situation, and whether or not the people who adopted the son at the end of the movie were "good" or "bad"?

Or is that even in the book at all?

thedamndest
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
The people at the end are only in it for a few pages, but there isn't any indication they are bad. The guy wrapped the dead father and they don't steal the kid's stuff, so I think we're meant to assume he's going to be okay since he essentially reached his destination. I don't remember where the thumb section is.