PDA

View Full Version : I love wrestlers on Smackdown, but hate them on Raw...

Team Sheep
05-31-2009, 07:40 AM
When I watch Smackdown it feels like I can appreciate and enjoy characters much more than on Raw. There have been so many guys that I've loved when they were on Smackdown but hated as soon as they got drafted to Raw, and vice-versa.

People like CM Punk - couldn't stand him on Raw but as soon as he got a new surrounding on Smackdown, I like him. Same with Rey Mysterio, I find him much more tolerable on Fridays. I thought Michael Cole was a superb play by play commentator in his years on Smackdown, but he's been embarrassing to listen to on Raw, and I now look forward to hearing JR on commentary on Smackdown rather than when he was on Raw and he sounded like he didn't give a shit. I could go on about many more people here.

Do any of you feel like this? You might not know as many of you don't watch Smackdown, or not on a weekly basis anyway. It must be because they're given more time on Smackdown, every week you're guaranteed a full 2 hours of lengthy matches which I love, as opposed to Raw which just feels rushed and more often than not you're lucky to see a 10 minute main event. Guaranteed that if you put someone who I wasn't a fan of on Raw over to Smackdown, I'd probably grow to appreciate that character.

Londoner
05-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Yup i do, i enjoy smackdown loads more than raw anyway cause its booked better. I'm not sure why, do both shows have different writers?

Team Sheep
05-31-2009, 08:13 AM
Yup i do, i enjoy smackdown loads more than raw anyway cause its booked better. I'm not sure why, do both shows have different writers?

I think so. Raw just feels like a circus. Rushed matches, and they have to get in at least 2 or 3 major segments in a show. On Smackdown they just let them go out there and do what they have to do, feels much more relaxed, like a real wrestling show. Feuds are explained more through matches rather than talking.

Londoner
05-31-2009, 08:19 AM
I think so. Raw just feels like a circus. Rushed matches, and they have to get in at least 2 or 3 major segments in a show. On Smackdown they just let them go out there and do what they have to do, feels much more relaxed, like a real wrestling show. Feuds are explained more through matches rather than talking.

I've been starting to think that on Raw they're still stuck in this new era style of wrestling and on smackdown they've resorted back to the attitude era style. Smackdown does have a attitude era feel to it nowadays.

Chavo Classic
05-31-2009, 10:10 AM
No mention of ECW?

Volare
05-31-2009, 10:22 AM
I like how Edge is rollin on Smackdown. His promos are great, and he's got a great feud (even if temporary) with Jeff Hardy. Jericho just adds as a great second heel to the brand, and I can't wait for Morrision to get his shot at Edge.

Team Sheep
05-31-2009, 10:22 AM
ECW doesn't really come into this statement. I consider ECW as just a nursery program to get guys ready for Raw and Smackdown. It's only an hour long and doesn't have a real World title, so it would be unfair to compare. It's an okay 60 minutes, but doesn't really hold any relevance to the subject at hand.

Chavo Classic
05-31-2009, 10:33 AM
ECW doesn't really come into this statement. I consider ECW as just a nursery program to get guys ready for Raw and Smackdown. It's only an hour long and doesn't have a real World title, so it would be unfair to compare. It's an okay 60 minutes, but doesn't really hold any relevance to the subject at hand.

I'm just thinking that ECW is probably more of a 'traditional' wrestling show as the ratio of matches to skits and backstage segments on ECW in comparison to Raw and Smackdown is definately in favour of the former.

But in response to your initial thoughts, I have always prefered Smackdown since the days of Heyman's booking and the Smackdown 6. It feels more relaxed and cool rather than the in-your-face booking and atmosphere of Raw.

The Fonz
05-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Smackdown is the "Wrestling" show, since we're not counting ECW. Raw is basically a big Sports Entertainment circus for celebrity and press to coo over. That's the main difference between the two, Raw is for the big stars with the biggest drawing power, regardless of any sort of actual wrestling ability, its about the entertainment being well...entertaining, not the wrestling.

And also taped shows may be better for guys like Cole, Rey, and Edge. They can edit out anything where they look sloppy, and can really show there stuff.

Volare
05-31-2009, 11:22 AM
Edge does not need to be edited.

Londoner
05-31-2009, 11:25 AM
Edge does not need to be edited.

:y:

Verbose Minch
05-31-2009, 12:17 PM

Truth. :y:

Y2Ant
05-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Smackdown is the "Wrestling" show, since we're not counting ECW. Raw is basically a big Sports Entertainment circus for celebrity and press to coo over. That's the main difference between the two, Raw is for the big stars with the biggest drawing power, regardless of any sort of actual wrestling ability, its about the entertainment being well...entertaining, not the wrestling.

RAW = sports entertainment, Smackdown = wrestling.

Volare
05-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Here's the easy way to debate it. Would you rather see Vickie Guerrero and "Santina" argue for 20 minutes, and get a couple good matches on RAW, or would you rather see more promos that matter, and 4 or 5 matches on Smackdown! with 3 of them being apart of a storyline instead of a clusterf**k like RAW has.

Dorkchop
05-31-2009, 12:22 PM
I've barely watched Smackdown since it moved to Friday nights, but I've made an effort since the latest draft. Jericho is a fantastic wrestler and he's had some pretty great matches already.

Now that Big Show and HHH are on Raw, Smackdown isn't as boring. I still like both those guys, but they've gotten pretty stale for my opinions. HHH's feud with Randy was very interesting.

I still don't like the blue lights on the crowd. It looks terrible.

Do you know what would be awesome?.... if Smackdown got Regal... and if Regal was being pushed again. That would be amazing

Londoner
05-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Nah i don't care about regal anymore.

Batista03
05-31-2009, 03:39 PM
I dont have the privilege to see Smackdown! where I stay because of the station. But I liked it when I did get to see it. The thing with Raw is that they need to set the feuds to go with the time they have for the show. Start off with one of the main feud at the start of the show; then let the minor feuds take over the first hour. That way the matches can go for a good time period. The last hour will be for the main feuds. That is just imo.

Team Sheep
05-31-2009, 07:24 PM
I still don't like the blue lights on the crowd. It looks terrible.

See I hate the red lights on Raw. The blue on Smackdown just feels more...refreshing.

Londoner
05-31-2009, 07:32 PM
See I hate the red lights on Raw. The blue on Smackdown just feels more...refreshing.

Agreed. Also raws theme music sucks.

The Fonz
05-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Agreed. Also raws theme music sucks.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiL5litb4pQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AiL5litb4pQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Smackdown's theme suck though.

Team Sheep
05-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Yeah all the themes suck tbh. Raw's had Papa Roach for a good few years now though, time for a change. Smackdown tend to change theirs every couple of years. Let's not even talk about ECW's.

Mr. Nerfect
06-01-2009, 01:40 AM
SmackDown! is a pretty fucking awesome brand right now. There is never anything particularly offensive on there. Plus, JR is actually doing good work over there. The matches are good, so are the promos, and it's actually written by wrestlers, I believe.

Batista03
06-01-2009, 06:29 PM
I wish that they would take in our thoughts about some story lines. And one thing I miss is how back in the attitude era, the title changed about every 2 months or so and they had title changes on Raw and Smackdown!. If they could bring that back it would give the shows better ratings because ppl that can only watch it on tv can see more title matches/changes and get others involved into it instead of always having to order the ppv to see a title change/match. I have had many talks with my friends who think the same way.

Lock Jaw
06-01-2009, 06:51 PM
I too have made an effort to watch Smackdown after the draft, mainly due to Chris Jericho and CM Punk going over.

I have actually find it highly enjoyable.

I even stopped reading spoilers, resisting the temptation. The result being that last week I got a mark out moment when Jericho did the sneak attack on Rey, because I didn't see it coming for once.

RGWhat316
06-01-2009, 07:42 PM
I kinda know what you are saying. I'm an MVP fan and all, but him being on RAW is still kinda weird, especially as a face.

Anybody Thrilla
06-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Smackdown is on a roll right now, and Raw has been terrible. Even people like Dolph Ziggler and Charlie Haas are looking good right now.

Batista03
06-02-2009, 04:41 PM
They need to add the writters from Smackdown to Raw to make it better. I miss the triple and fatal four ways for the title. I just wish I could still watch Smackdown. Damn those cable companies that dont want to get the channels.

parkmania
06-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I wish that they would take in our thoughts about some story lines. And one thing I miss is how back in the attitude era, the title changed about every 2 months or so and they had title changes on Raw and Smackdown!. If they could bring that back it would give the shows better ratings because ppl that can only watch it on tv can see more title matches/changes and get others involved into it instead of always having to order the ppv to see a title change/match. I have had many talks with my friends who think the same way.

"Anything can happen in the WWE (as long as you pay to see title changes)"

I do agree that they've lost any sense of unpredictability on ALL of WWE's weekly programming.

Londoner
06-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Erm,the US title just changed hands on raw on monday. Maybe they listened to this thread? :shifty:

parkmania
06-03-2009, 05:29 PM
The midcard belts do change semi-regularly, but, barring CM Punk's cashing in Money in the Bank last year, how many top belt (WWE Heavyweight, World Heavyweight) changes have we gotten for free in the past 2-3 years?

Londoner
06-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Very little if any i think, which i think is due to the amount of ppvs we get.

parkmania
06-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Go go wikipedia:

WWE belt has not changed hands on weekly programming since Edge won it from RVD on July 3, 2006 in a triple-threat match that included Cena. Prior to that goes back to Lesnar beating Angle in the Iron Man match September 16, 2003.

WHC belt has only changed 3 times for free since its inception in '02:
1) Edge used Money in the Bank to beat Undertaker May 8, 2007
2) CM Punk unsed Money in the Bank to beat Edge June 30, 2008
3) Jericho beat Batista inside a steel cage on November 30, 2008

EDIT: Just noticed - we're about due for a WWE belt change on weekly programming based on it doing so every 3 years :shifty:

Team Sheep
06-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Jericho beat Batista for the World title on Raw last October/November.

Innovator
06-03-2009, 10:38 PM
I wonder why Smackdown is so awesome?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/emKxRo1a3cs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/emKxRo1a3cs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Sixx
06-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Wow, I wasn't familiar with that song, pretty cool.

Volare
06-04-2009, 02:39 AM
The song sang by legends.

Mr. Nerfect
06-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I say go unpredictable, and have MVP win the WWE Title on RAW sometime in the near future. The last time we got a first-time winner of the WWE Title on the RAW brand, was when Randy Orton won the WWE Title from Triple H for the first time.

RAW just needs to be fresh right now. You've go so many established stars and egomaniacs running wild that it's just variations of the same old shit. I mean, Orton and Triple H were feuding over the WWE Title two years ago, and you just know that's going to end up the storyline again.

Have MVP bounce back from losing the US Title by challenging Randy Orton to a WWE Title match. Orton tells MVP that he doesn't stand a chance, so he accepts his challenge. MVP then shocks the world when he wins the title that night, perhaps with Ric Flair in his corner.

The Evolution feud you know they are going to do is main event enough without the WWE Title being involved. They can do Triple H vs. Randy Orton vs. Batista vs. Ric Flair at a PPV while MVP and Shawn Michaels can wrestle over the WWE Title, or something.