PDA

View Full Version : SEGA need to come out with a new console

The MAC
06-01-2009, 03:05 PM
While the 32X and mega cd where disasters I still think SEGA could learn from their mistakes and put out a really good console.

I loved the sega saturn , most real gamers did, and the Dreamcast was a moderate success. SEGA have the greatest arcade games. They lead 3d with their arcade boards. What do you think?

Hanso Amore
06-01-2009, 03:07 PM
They could never afford the funding.

Kalyx triaD
06-01-2009, 04:08 PM
Even so... then what? They can't even make a Sonic game without fucking up, now you wanna let them make another console? I'm not convinced SEGA's ready to get back in the race. It's a sad story, what with Dreacast starting so strong, but it's a deadly race and they couldn't hang. It's not like they were bullshitted out of business - the people have spoken, and our voice matters. Not enough of us dug it, or at least we liked the alternatives better.

The Mask
06-01-2009, 06:36 PM
i think the transition to 3d was what killed them off. since sonic was their big thing, and that just couldn't ever work in 3d. its a shame shenmue didn't work cause i'd have liked that to continue. the virtua fighter series was good too. basically if you threw in those two with jumped up graphically and gameplaywise versions of sonic/streets of rage/road rash i would be all over it. dunno why they don't do scrolling beat em ups anymore. most fun ever to do with a friend.

Funky Fly
06-01-2009, 07:48 PM
No they don't, you stupid shit. They are making more money now as a developer than they did as a console maker. The Dreamcast nearly bankrupted them, and that was actually wildly successful compared to the Saturn, which apparently only "real gamers" liked. I guess the 10s of millions more people buying up Playstations and N64s weren't real gamers then. :roll:

As a developer, they release games on all 3 systems. Much more money to be made with games (where you turn a profit on every sale) than systems (where you generally suffer a loss, but hope to make it up with the sale of games). If they were to jump back into the race, they'd face STEEP competition from all three rival consoles. 4 is too much for the market. Worldwide, the Wii is dominating. Nintendo's market penetration has expanded back to the days of the NES. Everyone and their grandma ha a Wii... literally. The Wii has drawn more people into gaming than ever thought possible. And if Swga makes consoles again, they'd have to stop sharing their games with that platform, which means a huge loss in game sales while trying to re-establish their own share in the market.

Then for the more hardcore crowd, you'd have to compete with the PS3 and Xbox. These systems have power and a massive library, respectively. No one's gonna be able to break into the market with that in your way. And if you're think Japan, the Nintendo and Sony have it locked down tight there. Even the Xbox is creeping in over the last year with their flood of SquareEnix JRPGS.

Think before you post.