PDA

View Full Version : Annoying monitor shit

road doggy dogg
06-08-2009, 11:36 AM
So my mom's desktop, the monitor is playing this fun little game where it doesn't want to turn on now. Dunno what the deal is.

It's getting a signal, I know that much. Like under "normal" conditions, when the computer is off, the power button turns yellow. And when I unplug it from the computer, it does that (turns yellow). But right now while it's plugged in, the light is green, so it is obvs getting a signal from the computer. But the light is blinking green. Like a slow blink. Dunno what that means? And the screen is totally blank. Just started doing this yesterday as far as I know.

What could it be? Display drivers? Faulty monitor? I'm not sure where to begin to diagnose anything.
crossrine

The Mackem
06-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Did you forget it's birthday?

Xero
06-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Could be a bad resolution. Can you start in safe mode?

road doggy dogg
06-08-2009, 05:43 PM
The computer itself is fine. Currently running with the old CRT that was on it before. No problems.

The monitor in question is a Viewsonic VX922. I tried hooking it up to my laptop and was getting the same thing. Did a quick Google search and it seems like it's likely something wrong inside the monitor. Pisses me off, paid good money for that thing a few years ago.
crossrine

Bad Company
06-09-2009, 04:55 AM
Is it hooked up via DVI or VGA? Can you get the on screen menu to come up on it, to adjust contrast etc.

Dave Youell
06-09-2009, 07:41 AM
Do some tests.

Try another monitor, if you have the same problem you know it's an issue with your PC graphics card (in theory)

Gets harder then, as if you can't see anyting on the screen you can't fix it with software patches

So, then i'd be thinking about borrowing a graphics card and hoping that works

Penner
06-09-2009, 03:43 PM
It seems like a problem with his monitor as opposed to a problem with his graphics card (because another monitor is working)

Bad Company
06-09-2009, 09:36 PM
HELP ME HELP YOU TONY

road doggy dogg
06-10-2009, 03:15 PM
SORRY

Um... I don't know if it's DVI or VGA. It's the "newer" kind, with the pins and the two screws, you know? I don't.

I can't even get the menu thing to come on. I had it up for a minute but everything seemed reasonable. When I had it working in Windows I was making sure the refresh was set to 60Hz (was reading that if it's at 75 that might screw it up) but that didn't fix anything. Idk. Sitting in the spare room right now, don't wanna fuck with it for fear of making it worse :'(
crossrine

Bad Company
06-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Can you get the menu display up on it by disconnecting it from the PC, turning it off, back on, and before it goes into sleep, getting into the menu?

Well DVI is usually white, and VGA is usually blue. Google it and let me know.