PDA

View Full Version : How much do a team's fans affect how you feel about that team?

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2009, 01:23 PM
For me, a lot. Take the Chicago Cubs for example. They don't win and with the exception of Carlos Zambrano and Milton Bradley, their roster is full of likable guys. Yet their fan base is so fucking annoying that I despise the team.

On the flip side, you have the St. Louis Cardinals. They are a franchise with a lot of success both past and recent and I should dislike them, but their fans are both knowledgeable and respectful so I can't hate them.

How do you feel about this important subject?

ct2k
06-13-2009, 01:28 PM
I hate any team when its fans have no decency in defeat

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Also as a side-question do the fans from TPWW affect the way you feel about teams? Does Sammy make you hate the Dodgers? Does RP make you despise the Colts? Do you ever want to punch BCWWF in his Chelsea loving face?

Stickman
06-13-2009, 01:39 PM
I hate the Toronto Maple Leafs not just because their nickname is spelt wrong, but because the team hasn't won anything in 40 years yet they are rammed down Canada's throat and the fans are so snobby. You can't even get a ticket to a leafs game because tickets are left in people's wills. Yet the team sucks.

I should hate the Montreal Canadiens because they're french and they have the most Stanley Cups but I can't hate them because they're so classy.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2009, 01:40 PM
This thread was birthed by all the people taking joy in watching Red Wings fans get their comeuppance

road doggy dogg
06-13-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes. I cannot cheer for Philadelphia teams because they have THE worst fans in the world.

I hate fans that are so loudmouthed and cocky about their team. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them team because of it, but I definitely find myself rooting against that team more often than not. Even worse are teams that aren't even any good at all, yet have the loudest, most obnoxious fans (*cough* Leafs *cough*). I mean, yeah it's annoying hearing a Red Sox/Pats fan, but at least their team has done something recently.
crossrine

DaveWadding
06-13-2009, 03:04 PM
For me, a lot. Take the Chicago Cubs for example. They don't win and with the exception of Carlos Zambrano and Milton Bradley, their roster is full of likable guys. Yet their fan base is so fucking annoying that I despise the team.

:foc:

Jesus Shuttlesworth
06-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if people hated Boston teams because of the fans because there are a lot of dumb ones.

I can't stand the Lakers fans - at least the ones who attend the games anyway but I still wouldn't like the Lakers with or without those fans.

I can't stand the Steelers fans because of those stupid towels but other than that not really. I usually just don't like the teams for whatever reason

FearedSanctity
06-13-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with Philly fans. Also, with my experience here in Texas, Cowboys and Spurs fans are incredibly annoying.

And Raiders fans for thinking every year is the year they'll win the Super Bowl. I understand being positive, but come on now. Really?

Juan
06-13-2009, 05:01 PM
I couldn't care less about a team's fans. I just worry about my teams and their players.

road doggy dogg
06-13-2009, 05:14 PM
Wouldn't be surprised if people hated Boston teams because of the fans because there are a lot of dumb ones.

I can't stand the Lakers fans - at least the ones who attend the games anyway but I still wouldn't like the Lakers with or without those fans.

I can't stand the Steelers fans because of those stupid towels but other than that not really. I usually just don't like the teams for whatever reason

I find Boston fans are all over the spectrum. They range from the loud obnoxious idiot type, to the incredibly well-educated. I guess when there's just that many fans, you're bound to get a big mix.
crossrine

Brujesino
06-13-2009, 07:01 PM
And Raiders fans for thinking every year is the year they'll win the Super Bowl. I understand being positive, but come on now. Really?

but it is our year!

i hate laker fans mostly worst fans in the world know nothing fans

Juan
06-13-2009, 07:19 PM
I find Boston fans are all over the spectrum. They range from the loud obnoxious idiot type, to the incredibly well-educated. I guess when there's just that many fans, you're bound to get a big mix.
crossrine

I think that's true about most fans. Some team's fan get labeled with a certain tag, but in reality they do not represent ALL of that team's fans.

Juan
06-13-2009, 07:21 PM
I live in Sacramento Kings country, so most Lakers fans out here are bandwagoners, people then automatically assume that most Lakers fans are the same.

RatedGSuperstar
06-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I disagree about Cards' fans being a good bunch of people. I used to think that, and they generally treat you with respect when your team stinks and the Cards are pummeling them into the ground. But when that team (like, say, the Brewers) starts winning and the Cards can't seem to catch a break, they start whining about retarded things like the Brewers untucking their jerseys on the field after a win and acting like they're the classiest organization in the world (you know...ignoring the fact that Pujols will stare down his home runs more than anyone in the game and Tony LaRussa is a self-righteous alcoholic prick). Enjoy second place, St. Louis.

I always used to hate Yankees fans because I only knew bandwagon fans growing up in the midwest. Going to college near New York, though, I've come to know some really intelligent Yankee fans (and they're not the people that call into WFAN...those guys are worse than anything I could've imagined).

Droford
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
I hate the entire city of Pittsburgh and all the people that live in the "burgh" and all 3 of their teams..

DaveBrawl
06-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Chargers fans make me hate the NFL at times.

Jeritron
06-14-2009, 05:30 AM
Hmm... gonna make a big Noid post about my thoughts on the Sox/Yankees fan rivalry I am part of...

I would say that it can add to my hatred of a team, but it doesn't determine it.

For instance, I hate the Yankees. It's just a given being a Boston native and a lifelong Red Sox fan. I hate them for a variety of reasons that run from the front office, to the team credo, all the way through the lineup.

This also includes me hating a good number of the fans. Mostly the obnoxious ones who know nothing of baseball, or just follow the yankees as a trend. Meatheads who wear a yankees hat and root for the yankees because they think it's hip.

On the other side of the coin, I realize that nowadays there are some Red Sox fans that are like that as well. Still, I hate the Yankees and many of their annoying fans with a passion. One of the big things I dislike about their fan base is how frequently they failed to fill their stadium, and how often their fans would walk out on their team in late innings.
I also find the fabric of the Yankees image and legacy to be extraordinarily dull and mundane, despite being star-studded and prestigious.

I guess that's part of my affinity to the rag-tag history of the Boston Red Sox teams over the years, and the whole Fenway Park atmosphere.
It always exuded a more underdog, rebellious and colorful approach to baseball, while still bringing the classic legacy to the table. It was less broadway, and more main street. Again, that appeals more to me because I'm FROM Boston, but stepping outside of the situation I have a hard time seeing how the average fan would prefer the Yankees to the Sox.

Still, I respect many Yankees fans. I respect the real ones, and the knowledgeable ones. I also cannot fault a Yankees fan who is from New York originally. I fully understand their situation, and logically it's absurd to hate them for liking their local team.
On top of that, I feel like as much as the Red Sox and Yankees fans may hate eachother and their respective teams, there's a common bond.
We both understand the rivalry, and both have respect for it. We both "get" eachother I suppose.
I love New York. I just hate the Yanks.

I also don't blindly hate every Yankee. I hate A-Rod, and I hate Texiera. I've hated dozens of Yankees.

I respect, and even like Derek Jeter. I always liked Joe Torre, and Mike Mussina, and even though it upsets me that Johnny Damon has cut his caveman beard and gone to the other side, I still will always like him because he was such a big part of the circa 2004 Sox teams.

I despised the 1996 Yankees for the most part, but I always will respect them as a team because they were a "real team" or solid players who weren't based on salaries and stats, but just played well as a team and won. I can appreciate that as a baseball fan, even if I couldn't stand them.

Jeritron
06-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Back to fans.....

I hate the Rays fans.

I was going to type "Devil Rays fans", but changed it because such a thing never existed.

Good luck finding a Devil Rays hat/shirt in that crowd. They changed their name and logo just before last season, so that shows how far back their fanbase goes.

2 years ago the Red Sox would play them in Tampa Bay and have home field advantage. Those people are ridiculous.

Mr. Monday Morning
06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
I just dislike fans that are huge homers. I mean I understand loving your team and everything but some people take it too far.

I should probably hate Liverpool due to Flair Woo and a couple others (plus ct2k and all that) but Sid is pretty sound and I had a soft spot for them growing up.

Birmingham though...jesus. Bunch of fucking plastic bastards.

OssMan
06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I liked the Devil Rays.

Kapoutman
06-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Leafs fans are usually bad, and Bruins fans are a mix of obnoxious and classy. I would say that Rangers fans are good, though. Maybe they fear another curse or something, but they are mostly classy people.

Stickman
06-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Canucks fans suck. We are probably the worst bandwagon jumpers out ther. Our team hasn't won anything yet all the fans ever expect is to Win the cup...how?...or make the playoffs. Way to set realistic goals, just making the playoffs is not success. Plus they are quiet in the rink, will leave the third period early in a one goal game, and it's amazing how many people are on their cell phones in the rink.

One thing that bugs me too is when the Leafs and Habs come to town, their fans start chanting...the Canucks fans who outnumber them, instead of chanting "Go Canucks GO" start booing....wtf

Triple Naitch
06-14-2009, 11:11 PM
I try to ignore SammyG during the playoffs.

1_Pablo_Angel
06-17-2009, 03:08 PM
People on message boards and other 'fans' I know do unduly affect my opinion on football teams.

I know this is stupid but I can't really help it. I know most Liverpool fans probably aren't self pitying tossers but I've met a few that are. The exception is obviously Manchester United. The majority of supporters actually ARE from Surrey and Kent and are pricks with no idea about supporting a proper football team.

Y2Ant
06-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Yes. I cannot cheer for Philadelphia teams because they have THE worst fans in the world.

I hate fans that are so loudmouthed and cocky about their team. I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate them team because of it, but I definitely find myself rooting against that team more often than not. Even worse are teams that aren't even any good at all, yet have the loudest, most obnoxious fans (*cough* Leafs *cough*). I mean, yeah it's annoying hearing a Red Sox/Pats fan, but at least their team has done something recently.
crossrine

:y::y::y:

screech
06-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I'm from Philly (yet I despise the Eagles) and I have to agree and disagree with the hate. Yes, most fans outsiders encounter are complete idiots who don't know anything about whatever sport they watch. But there are fans here who DO know about the sport and aren't just loudmouth jerks (those fans, sadly, are few and far between however).

When people talk down to Philly fans, most of the time (if not all), they generalize based on whatever group they encounter. Not every fan of a Philly team is a moron. Not every fan cheers when someone breaks his leg on the field. Not every fan throws mustard packets at a five year old girl during the World Series.

People look past, or don't even see, the passion of the true fans who are actually respectful and knowledgeable, and only look at the surface (i.e. the ignorant asses that everyone assumes all fans of Philly teams are). The problem is that the good-natured fans get lumped in with the jerks, so everyone thinks all Philly fans are the same (which is completely false).

So yes, a lot of fans in this city are ignorant and downright rude, trust me I've grown up around them. But there are fans that actually know what they're talking about and would never cheer an injury to an opponent or throw a battery at someone who wouldn't sign (J.D. Drew for those who don't know).

Sorry for the Noid post (love ya, Noid), but I just had to defend myself and the "good" Philly fans that really do exist.

screech
06-18-2009, 03:26 PM
On topic, it's hard for me to cheer for the Steelers, Yankees and Ducks, and not just because I've also grown up a fan of each team's rival (it really does make sense).

I know that there are intelligent and good-natured fans of each, and it's not the ignorance that irks me; it's the arrogance. It's the 'we're the best team in any given year' and 'I'm right you're wrong because you don't agree with me' attitudes that fuel my disdain for each respective franchise.

Even when the Steelers were bad, the Yankees missed the playoffs, and the Ducks changed their name because they wanted to be...actually I can't understand why they wouldn't want to be associated with such amazing films, they were still talking about how they're better than everyone else.

Also, I get it: the Yankees have won 26 titles. They also haven't won anything since the turn of the century. Get off your damn pedestal and shut the hell up already.

Maybe I'm alone in thinking this way, but it bugs the hell outta me.

screech
06-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I also agree with Jeritron...except on Derek Jeter. Do I respect him? Yes. But that doesn't mean I have to like him.

LoDownM
06-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Cocky Red Wing fans has made me not like them even more. I really think they need to have a few losing seasons to knock the fans off thier high horses. I'd probably root for the Flyers if next years Stanley Cup ended up being the Wings vs Flyers. And I hate the Flyers.

Krimzon7
06-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Yes, fans do play a huge role in how I feel about teams. This phenomenom permeates to college football mostly. I Hate Florida Gator Fans, I hate Michigan WOlverines, But I love Southern Cal, and University of Georgia fans. Now, in a complete swerve, I love the assholes who root for University of MIami!

Also as a side-question do the fans from TPWW affect the way you feel about teams? Does Sammy make you hate the Dodgers? Does RP make you despise the Colts? Do you ever want to punch BCWWF in his Chelsea loving face?

To take it to a pro level, yes I hate the Lakeshow and DOdgers soley because of Sammy. God I wish he'd get banned during seasons his teams were good. RP makes me hate the Colts only because he embodies the typical 'lemmnig' fan.

Maybe I'm so opinionated because my team sucks :'(

WestNZ
06-30-2009, 04:35 PM
I should hate the Montreal Canadiens because they're french and they have the most Stanley Cups but I can't hate them because they're so classy.

Same here, but its very hard to hate a team that get's it done more than any other team,