PDA

View Full Version : Let's be real for a moment...

#1-norm-fan
07-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Is there anyone still wrestling today that you genuinely feel a rooting interest for during a match. I don't mean like "I kinda wanna see this guy win the title, so I'll root for him and be happy when he wins it."

I mean, like, you actually kinda feel like a heartbroken little kid when they lose. Like... genuinely angry and pissed that he lost a match in which he was scripted to lose.

I bring this up because the Taker-HBK topic made me think about how that little bit of genuine rooting for one wrestler the way I and most others root for a sports team and how it is lost. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's WWE's inability to build a character properly but I genuinely root for Shawn Michaels to win every meaningless match he is a part of, more-so at a PPV. And HBK is the only man right now who could win a world title that would genuinely make me mark out. (And I don't mean, just enjoying the moment sitting in my chair with a smile and coming online to tell people I just "Marked out".

I had a feeling Kennedy might have been on his way to being that guy. Also, MVP before he became stale on Raw.

So... think long and hard... anyone?

Juan
07-12-2009, 12:20 AM
CM Punk

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 12:34 AM
A part of my extended family died when Flair lost at WM XXIV...but the retirement ceremony...on RAW...can't even describe it...I had to use several kleenex, because it was just so :'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(:'(...I am not even exaggerating with the emoticons either.

Pardeep 619
07-12-2009, 12:35 AM
I was pissed off when Jeff Hardy lost both his world titles. Fuck you CM Punk!!! (I secretly love Edge so he's ok in my book)

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 12:39 AM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/OvQ-qsuUIBw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/OvQ-qsuUIBw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bqaihPW1Hng&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/bqaihPW1Hng&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

FourFifty
07-12-2009, 01:11 AM
Punk, DiBaise, James Storm

Emperor Smeat
07-12-2009, 01:45 AM
Jericho since his debut in WWE and his late WCW years.

In the past : The Rock, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, and Hogan

Jannettyzilla
07-12-2009, 02:25 AM
Current: Kane, Jericho, Edge, Orton, Christian, Santino

Past: Hogan, Pillman, Goldberg, Jannetty (and The Rockers), The Rock, Booker T (WCW).

IC Champion
07-12-2009, 03:27 AM
Chris Jericho

DaVe
07-12-2009, 03:35 AM
When I've said in the past I'm a big Austin, Taker and Kane mark, I don't just mean it in the way you described above, but I am a legit mark when they're wrestling.

I was pretty much shouting at the TV at Mania when things were looking bad for Taker, and pretty much the last 5-10 mins of the match in general. Kane and Austin to a slightly lesser extent: when Kane loses I'm relatively annoyed even though it makes sense for him to put others over... so I'm really enjoying Kane's run on Smackdown right now.

Londoner
07-12-2009, 06:41 AM
John Morisson(really annoyed me when he lost on smackdown this week).

ron the dial
07-12-2009, 06:45 AM
CM Punk

XL
07-12-2009, 06:53 AM
The last time I felt like that was for Angle in his match against HBK at WM21. I was literally shouting "Tap. Tap. Tap." and then marked out when Michaels eventually did. I think part of that was because it was rumoured to be his last match.

The time before that would have been for Benoit at WM20. Once again I was marking for the submission finish and when it did I actually stood up and punched the air in front of a number of other people.

Nowadays one of the few guys I like to see winning is Christian. Might be that "Underdog"/"Underappreciated" thing he seems to get.

XIII
07-12-2009, 08:10 AM
jericho,morrison,matt hardy,jeff hardy,mvp,

remeber back in the day when you watched all the ppvs with the iiegal cable box?? those were the days... now you have to sit in a uncomfortable computer chair and watch crappy quality shit on justin.tv or wherever..........

$50.00 for a ppv every three weeks is crazy...

remember when somone winning the title was exciting??

Londoner
07-12-2009, 08:20 AM
remember when somone winning the title was exciting??

Aye, those were the days...

Now it just feels rather meaningless and 'same old same old' as everybody it seems gets a chance at the top title now, where as before you never knew if they would eventually get there or not, it felt more meaningful. Now its just 'can i get a shot at the title? GM: 'yeah sure you can'

Chavo Classic
07-12-2009, 09:16 AM
I got really emotionally invested in Evan Bourne during his ECW title match against Matt Hardy a while back. The only other time I've been genuinely involved in a match since was CM Punk's MITB win, mostly because I thought he had no chance of winning it twice in succession.

I think it really helps to be rooting for a guy to enjoy shows now, although admittedly it's for reasons other than I like the guy's character or gimmick - it's for smark reasons. For example, I liked Evan Bourne's style before he signed for the WWE and I always enjoyed his matches but he was never the focus of my main attention on a card. Since he signed for the WWE, I've hoped he'll do well considering how they treat cruiserweights and luchadors. It's why it's a pleasure to see him pick up victories over the big useless hosses like Henry and Knox.

I've enjoyed CM Punk's matches from ROH in the past, and so it's also satisfying to see a good grappler and athlete succeed in the WWE considering his size and gimmick. It's refreshing to see someone like Punk do well in an environment where only the guys created to suit the usual tastes of Vince get by.

Skippord
07-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Edge, CM Punk and Chris Hero

Mr. Nerfect
07-12-2009, 10:47 AM
Right now, I do genuinely root for CM Punk, MVP, John Morrison, Chris Jericho, William Regal and The Brian Kendrick. But those are the only ones that I genuinely get upset about when they lose. Dolph Ziggler is getting to that stage, though. I would have at least been upset if he had jobbed to Khali.

Kane Knight
07-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Quite a few, actually. Jericho, Benjamin, Michaels, Kane, Morrison, Christian (In theory, sicne I haven't seen him wrestle in ages), Angle (again, in theory), The hardy boys (I like Matt more than Jeff, but I still want to see Jeff win, deep down, no matter how many gripes).

I'm not obsessive enough to get worked up over them, but I do root for them.

Nicky Fives
07-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Edge & Christian..... Robert Roode a little

Fox
07-12-2009, 09:01 PM
No.

I wish I could say that there was someone, ANYONE in the wrestling industry today who made me revert back to my markish mindset. But there's not. CM Punk comes close but even still I see his matches as business, for better or worse, win or lose.

Last guy that made me feel that way was Rob Van Dam when he was the WWE/ECW Champion.

What Would Kevin Do?
07-12-2009, 09:09 PM
Jimmy Jacobs

Testicle
07-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Last guy that made me feel that way was Rob Van Dam when he was the WWE/ECW Champion.

I definitly had that feeling with Rob, just because there was a point where you never thought he'd win the big one, then it became a reality.

I get that with Jeff Hardy too, when Punk cashed in MITB I was really hoping Jeff would still retain.

Testicle
07-12-2009, 09:40 PM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/wrestling/rvd2.jpg

Happened.

DAMN iNATOR
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
...and then he went and fucked it all up. WHY, ROB, WHY?!:(

Destor
07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Is there anyone still wrestling today that you genuinely feel a rooting interest for during a match. I don't mean like "I kinda wanna see this guy win the title, so I'll root for him and be happy when he wins it."

I mean, like, you actually kinda feel like a heartbroken little kid when they lose. Like... genuinely angry and pissed that he lost a match in which he was scripted to lose.

I bring this up because the Taker-HBK topic made me think about how that little bit of genuine rooting for one wrestler the way I and most others root for a sports team and how it is lost. Maybe it's my age, maybe it's WWE's inability to build a character properly but I genuinely root for Shawn Michaels to win every meaningless match he is a part of, more-so at a PPV. And HBK is the only man right now who could win a world title that would genuinely make me mark out. (And I don't mean, just enjoying the moment sitting in my chair with a smile and coming online to tell people I just "Marked out".

I had a feeling Kennedy might have been on his way to being that guy. Also, MVP before he became stale on Raw.

So... think long and hard... anyone?
No, I am not a mark.

Testicle
07-12-2009, 10:16 PM
No, your a big-time wrestler now, how is it in your self-exclusive fanatsy world?

Testicle
07-12-2009, 10:22 PM
I swear, 99.9% of your posts contain calling someone a mark or denying that you yourself are a mark. We got it.

Destor
07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Yuppers. Gonna stay that way too. This board went from being moderatly smart to clamouring marks in less than a year.

Pretty annoying.

ron the dial
07-12-2009, 10:23 PM
i would like to see a statistical analysis of destor's posts to prove the above claim. otherwise yr word will mean nothing from this point forward.

Destor
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
lol

Juan
07-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Yuppers. Gonna stay that way too. This board went from being moderatly smart to clamouring marks in less than a year.

Pretty annoying.

Sad but true

legendkillerRKO
07-12-2009, 11:33 PM
I have the opposite...I hate Rey Mysterio so much it hurts my heart when he wins!

thedamndest
07-12-2009, 11:41 PM
As a rule of thumb, I always want the Big Show to win. He never does. :(

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 12:37 PM
I have the opposite...I hate Rey Mysterio so much it hurts my heart when he wins!

I can empathise. Two faces I will probably always want to see lose (though one is a heel now) are Mysterio and Punk. Fuck them both.

Though hés not a face, Miz almost counts. Except I stopped watching him unless he was involved with someone I gave a shit about.

FourFifty
07-13-2009, 01:36 PM
...and then he went and fucked it all up. WHY, ROB, WHY?!:(

Because he likes pot.
He likes pot more than success.

mike adamle
07-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Potentially I see Jack Swagger as one of these people, def. not yet though.

Kane Knight
07-13-2009, 02:46 PM
Potentially I see Jack Swagger as one of these people, def. not yet though.

If Swagger could handle himself a little better in terms of presence and mic skills, I'd be all over him.

:naughty:

:shifty:

GD
07-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Chris Jericho and for some reason I want Punk to turn full hell and have a long World title reign.

parkmania
07-13-2009, 05:34 PM

QFT! It made me nearly throw up when he won Big Goldy at WM22. I even had the misfortune of being there - which would have made throwing up even a bigger problem.

DAMN iNATOR
07-14-2009, 02:31 AM
Because he likes pot.

Well, to be honest it really wasn't that much of a question...but in RVD's honor...

<EMBED height=344 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=425 src=http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/hRQYNLUz7Ro&hl=en&fs=allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></EMBED>

DaVe
07-14-2009, 05:59 AM
:roll:

How saddening that Juan and Destor can't enjoy wrestling to the extent that the rest of us can.

Juan
07-14-2009, 06:03 AM

How saddening that Juan and Destor can't enjoy wrestling to the extent that the rest of us can.

Just because I agree with Destor about the mark infestation doesn't mean I don't enjoy WWE. If you knew me, you'd know that. So please, just stop.

Mr. Nerfect
07-14-2009, 06:20 AM
Because he likes pot.

One day Rob Van Dam and Brian Kendrick will make a fantastic tag team in TNA.

DaVe
07-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Nah, mate, you're missing a key phrase, Juan, 'to the extent'. As in you can't get 'emotionally invested' or the like in a wrestler.

I don't understand whats wrong with marking out and enjoying wrestling to that extent, in that way.

screech
07-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Kane, Christian, Jericho. They're the ones off the top of my head.

I also go into some kind of a trance when Kane is making his way to the ring. I stop whatever I'm doing and just stare at the TV.

It's odd.

Kane Knight
07-14-2009, 03:52 PM

How sad is it that wanting someone to win is now "markish."

Juan
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Nah, mate, you're missing a key phrase, Juan, 'to the extent'. As in you can't get 'emotionally invested' or the like in a wrestler.

I don't understand whats wrong with marking out and enjoying wrestling to that extent, in that way.

Nothing at all. I didn't mean to imply that there is something wrong with marking out for wrestlers. As I pointed out in the first page, I mark for CM Punk and marked out big time when I was at the Bash for Edge and Jericho.

I was only agreeing with Destor that there are generally more marks in the wrestling forum now than in the past.

Juan
07-14-2009, 09:21 PM
I will say this, ever since creating the Vault, I have noticed a pattern with some guys on the internet that are wrestlers. They like to throw around the word "mark" more freely than everyone else.

Funky Fly
07-14-2009, 10:10 PM

Pretty annoying.

You will always have me.

Cool King
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
I mean, like, you actually kinda feel like a heartbroken little kid when they lose. Like... genuinely angry and pissed that he lost a match in which he was scripted to lose..

The Brian Kendrick. I always get pissed off when he loses. And as of late, The Miz also.

#1-norm-fan
07-14-2009, 10:14 PM
By the way, Mark Henry is on his way to becoming my other "mark out guy" if they keep his character the way it's been...

Loose Cannon
07-14-2009, 10:17 PM
no, I don't really care who wins or loses anymore. I have no emotional connection to anyone. I mean, I have favorites, but it won't put me in a bad mood if they lose

Darc
07-14-2009, 10:18 PM
I want Triple H to win so everyone gets angry. It's funny.

McLegend
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Kane.

Since he loses so much I'm near suicidal because of it.

Destor
07-18-2009, 08:09 PM

Noy really, you just end up enjoy wrestling in a new way. A way hopefully you will understand in time.

Boondock Saint
07-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Zack Ryder

LuigiD
07-18-2009, 09:41 PM
CM Punk and Santino Marella.
I really like Santino and I think if he wins enough maybe people will start to take him seriously and we will see his talent shine through.

Testicle
07-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Noy really, you just end up enjoy wrestling in a new way. A way hopefully you will understand in time.

Duh, of course, because your way is better. :roll:

Testicle
07-18-2009, 09:52 PM
How sad is it that wanting someone to win is now "markish."

BINGO! :y:

Testicle
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
We all know wrestling is a work, we just want the guys that we like to win and be successful, what is wrong with that?

Or do I not get it because I haven't thrown on a pair of boots and wrestled nobodies infront of 25 people?

DAMN iNATOR
07-18-2009, 10:05 PM
We all know wrestling is a work, we just want the guys that we like to win and be successful, what is wrong with that?

Or do I not get it because I haven't thrown on a pair of boots and wrestled nobodies infront of 25 people?

To your question in bold print: In Vince's twisted book, it's "wrong" for the fans to cheer someone he's worked hard at being pretty much a career heel, and vice versa with the babyface wrestlers. But that's only Vince's opinion, because he wants us all to be brainless zombies that cheer for who he tells us to cheer for, and boo who he wants us to boo. And that obviously doesn't always work, especially these days in the era of the IWC.

A perfect example, and nobody I've seen in all my years of watching fits the bill better, of someone who the fans rail against Vince on this issue is John Cena: He wants everyone to love Cena to death, but only kids under the age of 12 and women, in general, seem to really do this, while the rest of the fans at live events boo the living hell out of him. It's almost like that with Rey Mysterio, but I think to a somewhat lesser extent.

Mr. Nerfect
07-20-2009, 03:34 AM
Kane.

Since he loses so much I'm near suicidal because of it.

Michael Hayes has been doing a fucking fantastic job of booking Kane over on SmackDown!. In the past three weeks, Kane has gone over the Intercontinental Champion, the #1 Contender for the World Heavyweight Title, and a rising star. Hayes gets something about monsters -- they need to win so that when they do lose, it means something.

It's making me care about Kane again, which is very good. If they put Kane over Khali, and then have him turn face against CM Punk, I could definitely see Kane getting a World Heavyweight Title run. Make Kane the first guy to win the WWE Championship, ECW Championship and World Heavyweight Championship -- it'd be a special kind of achievement, which is something Kane never held before.

AJHayes
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
I swear, 99.9% of your posts contain calling someone a mark or denying that you yourself are a mark. We got it.

And tell me whats wrong with being a mark? Maybe ignorance is bliss.

Ironballs
07-22-2009, 06:30 AM
http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/specialevent/wrestling/rvd2.jpg

This.

Jericho also.

I was also kinda pissed when TBK got jobbed out to Lawler the other night..

The Jayman
07-22-2009, 12:59 PM
I would have to say Christian and Kane. I get really involved when these 2 wrestle. when I say involved I mean I start from the couch and wind up in the floor hitting the ground the same time the ref is couting the pin.