PDA

View Full Version : Why Cena is good for business

AJHayes
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Aside from the fact that he is a merchandise machine. He provides an atmosphere that is perfect for getting a crowd riled up. Tully Blanchard said that there has to be a spark for a powder keg. This is Cenas place. He is beloved by the kids and loathed by real wrestling fans. This creates something of a rivalry and makes the crowd easier to work.

I've been working hard on legitimizing Cena lately. I've figured out that the STF(u) is a leg lock jaw vice, as he doesn't pull back on the neck or apply the stf properly.

Nicky Fives
07-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Cena doesn't apply alot of moves properly... ever see him hit that somersault-bulldog thingy correctly???? that's what I thought

Dave Youell
07-16-2009, 06:29 PM
Cena is good for business because he makes his employer lots of money

That, is ALL that matters in the world of wrestling

AJHayes
07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Dave, I definitely don't argue. However, I'm trying to look beyond the money thing (for some strange reason).

Dave Youell
07-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Dave, I definitely don't argue. However, I'm trying to look beyond the money thing (for some strange reason).

All that matters is that what ever a guy does, he makes money.

Vince doesn't care about pandering to us net fans, because like lemmings, we watch regardless. We will always be there and he doesn't have to please us. We give him the money that provide's Cena

Cena then makes Vince money with T Shirt sales to kids

Basically it's the net fans fault ok? If the core fan actually switched off, things might change, but we won't. So why bother trying to fix it

Dorkchop
07-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Cena is a poor worker with a shit load of charisma. He works his ass off for the company. He does countless interviews, is a nice guy backstage, and sells a crap load of merchandise. Paul Heyman wrote a pretty good article on why Cena is WWE's top guy

Regardless who he is facing he gets a reaction and makes people care.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/wrestling/heyman/1625079/Paul-Heyman-on-why-WWE-boss-Vince-McMahon-loves-John-Cena.html

Pretty good read. I really like Heyman's articles. I wish he had one every day.

#1-norm-fan
07-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Cena would still be able to sell merchandise if he worked a little less "PG" which would also please the net fans. I'm talking, feel free to cuss and be a little more "adult". Let's face it, it wouldn't force too many parents to make their kids stop watching. Austin was a merchandising bonanza and he is about as far from Cena as you're gonna get. You think it was mostly the 18+ crowd buying his shit?

Kane Knight
07-17-2009, 01:39 AM
Since the merch isn't growing at a rate to compensate for a lack of asses in seats, and a hit to buys, the idea that Cena is doing well by Youell's standards is completely inane. has the IWC really traded one markish behaviour for another one?

By the way, Cena is a good worker. He busted his ass when he was new. Now, he's being protected as an investment, and one which has already been hurt a couple of times. Yeah, surprise that he's not putting out technical masterpieces night after night these days.

Cena would be better for business if WWE knew how to run a promotion and make everyone care about him, not just a demographic that tunes out for reruns of High Schol Musical. As he is, good for business? He's more a stopgap measure than a truly positive one. But I won't blame Cena, because all he's doing is toeing the company line.

#1-norm-fan
07-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Cena would be better for business if WWE knew how to run a promotion and make everyone care about him...

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on most of the WWE roster

The Pope
07-17-2009, 01:43 AM
his matches suck. Parents just buy their little 5 yr old dumbass kids their cena merchandise.

Londoner
07-17-2009, 02:53 AM
Cena might be 'good for business' but most of his matches make me cringe, and i end up turning the channel over. Is that good for business? People not watching?

Mr. Nerfect
07-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Since the merch isn't growing at a rate to compensate for a lack of asses in seats, and a hit to buys, the idea that Cena is doing well by Youell's standards is completely inane. has the IWC really traded one markish behaviour for another one?

By the way, Cena is a good worker. He busted his ass when he was new. Now, he's being protected as an investment, and one which has already been hurt a couple of times. Yeah, surprise that he's not putting out technical masterpieces night after night these days.

Cena would be better for business if WWE knew how to run a promotion and make everyone care about him, not just a demographic that tunes out for reruns of High Schol Musical. As he is, good for business? He's more a stopgap measure than a truly positive one. But I won't blame Cena, because all he's doing is toeing the company line.

I pretty much agree entirely with this.

Sting Fan
07-17-2009, 04:43 AM
Yep +1 on what KK said her as well.

It is great to see some of the reactions to WWE pandering to children, a couple of you sound like spoilt 5 year olds who arent getting any pudding.

If its not aimed at you and you cant handle that flick it off, no point crying because your demographic aint where the money is.

My Final Heaven
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Heyman's article is exactly how I feel on the Cena situation.

Cena's the top guy because he's exactly what WWE needs right now - A workhorse who's unattatched, willing to juggle 3 or 4 projects at once, and comes across as a genuinely nice guy in media interviews.

Myself, I'm a Cena fan simply for his "selling facial expressions".

Kane Knight
07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Yep +1 on what KK said her as well.

It is great to see some of the reactions to WWE pandering to children, a couple of you sound like spoilt 5 year olds who arent getting any pudding.

If its not aimed at you and you cant handle that flick it off, no point crying because your demographic aint where the money is.

You're retarded if you believe the bolded part is true. I'll give you some credit and assume you were just doing your usual "taking the bullshit rant a step too far" routine, but seriously.

The Pope
07-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Cena can't even pull a headlock.
haven you seen his STFU you're supposed to do a headlock to the head.cena puts both hands straight ahead of the guys face that leaves about 2 inches of space between cena's hands and the other guys face. making that move look bad.

AJHayes
07-17-2009, 03:26 PM
haven you seen his STFU you're supposed to do a headlock to the head.cena puts both hands straight ahead of the guys face that leaves about 2 inches of space between cena's hands and the other guys face. making that move look bad.

I've figured out that the STF(u) is a leg lock jaw vice, as he doesn't pull back on the neck or apply the stf properly.

Kane Knight
07-17-2009, 03:47 PM

And the Rock had the shitiest Sharpshooter this side of Destor's BYWF. Your point is?

therocksays
07-17-2009, 04:44 PM
IT DOESN'T MATTER

DAMN iNATOR
07-17-2009, 05:25 PM
And the Rock had the shitiest Sharpshooter this side of Destor's BYWF. Your point is?

What? The Rock's sharpshooter was mediocre, yes, but it was nowhere near as bad as you say it was. Go back and watch more of his matches and you'll see that I'm right. Seriously. Not to be contrary or anything, it's just better that we have some objectivity in here, rather than your extreme slant on something one way or the other.

#1-norm-fan
07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKC2-SuGxpg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kKC2-SuGxpg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Skip to 1:10.

Even Cena's STFU is undeniably better looking than that. lol. Pathetic.

#1-norm-fan
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
For the record, the guy who does the video is a bit of a tool and gets way too technical about "what makes a good sharpshooter".

I just posted it to show Rock's abysmal attempt.

Dorkchop
07-17-2009, 06:47 PM
The first sharpshooter on benoit doesn't look like it would hurt either. benoit's back was barely even bent. It looked better because Bret sat down and was lower to the mat, but at the same time Benoit's whole body was more parallel with the mat.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rocks always had a shit sharpshooter. I'm pretty sure he knew that. With the exception of the Rumble match with Mick, Rock was probably a really safe guy to work with.

4 knuckles up
07-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Nobody in the WWE has a better work ethic than John Cena. Fuck it. Nobody in the WWF had a better work ethic, either.

Kane Knight
07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
What? The Rock's sharpshooter was mediocre, yes, but it was nowhere near as bad as you say it was. Go back and watch more of his matches and you'll see that I'm right. Seriously. Not to be contrary or anything, it's just better that we have some objectivity in here, rather than your extreme slant on something one way or the other.

Do you ever say anything true?

Volare
07-18-2009, 12:52 PM
The first sharpshooter on benoit doesn't look like it would hurt either. benoit's back was barely even bent. It looked better because Bret sat down and was lower to the mat, but at the same time Benoit's whole body was more parallel with the mat.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Rocks always had a shit sharpshooter. I'm pretty sure he knew that. With the exception of the Rumble match with Mick, Rock was probably a really safe guy to work with.

To me it always looked like he was gonna lose grip on the shins/boots he was holding. Plus it looks more like an "ankelshooter" than a sharpshooter.

Haze
07-18-2009, 01:01 PM
oxymoron |ˌäksəˈmôrˌän|
noun
a figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., Cena is good).

Kane Knight
07-18-2009, 01:09 PM

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Speaking of not looking like it'd hurt, howabout that Walls of Jericho? I doubt many people on here would call Jericho a bad worker, but MAN, does that move suck ass these days. It's not even a Boston Crab anymore, he just holds the legs up to facilitate getting to the ropes.

Haze
07-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Speaking of not looking like it'd hurt, howabout that Walls of Jericho? I doubt many people on here would call Jericho a bad worker, but MAN, does that move suck ass these days. It's not even a Boston Crab anymore, he just holds the legs up to facilitate getting to the ropes.

I love Jericho, but this is a very true statement.