PDA

View Full Version : UFC 47: It's on (thoughts, spoilers, ect)

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:40 PM
So the event starts with Mike Kyle going over Wes Sims with a first round knock out. Sims claims he was bit, Kyle defends himself by saying he was wearing a mouth piece. Knockout was clean though.

UFC 48 Main event announced
Ken Shamrock vs Kimo (I think that's what they announced.)

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:43 PM
Robbie Lawler vs Nick Diaz is next.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:51 PM
Diaz (your typical grappler) comes out taunting and wanting to fight a stand up game with Lawler (a striker). Diaz doing very well to the suprise of many, rocking Lawler several times. Diaz is much improved in his striking game.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Lawler surged late in the first round. I think the striking was just Lawler under estimating Diaz. Fight still hasn't gone to the ground yet with us in the second round.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:56 PM
DIAZ KNOCKS LAWLER OUT! Clean punch to the jaw, it'll knock anyone out. Very impressed with Diaz, did not expect him to come out swinging.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 10:59 PM
Results thus far.
Mike Kyle vs Wes Sims
Kyle by knock out at the end of the first round.

Robbie Lawler vs Nick Diaz
Diaz via knock out with a right hook in the second round.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 11:25 PM
Cabbage (MMA record: 20-4) vs Arlovski (MMA record: 7-3

From their histories I'm guessing this will be another stand up fight.

And the match starts.

Round One: Arsovski comes out swinging and Cabbage just eats them and smiles. Well nevermind he just got rocked a little bit. Arlovski is the aggressor. Cabbage's ear just cut cut open a bit from several punches. Cabbage looking for the left hook, but no dice. Arlovski comes out with another barrage, and Cabbage still eats them. Cabbage looks phased only a little.

End of Round one. Arlovski most likely won the round by points, but Cabbage seems unbothered really. Maybe a little hurt.

Round two: Cabbage gets rocked by another barrage, and still stalks him, cabbage fired back. Another barrage from Arlovski, ref stops the fight. Cabbage's nose busted. Cabbage went down. I don't think it should have been called but it was none the less.

Your winner: Arlovski

HeartBreakMan2k
04-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Edwards (MMA record: 22-8-1) vs Franca (MMA record: 8-1)

Should be a striking game too, but for some reason I wouldn't doubt this going to the mat a little.

Round One: Franca coming out with some strikes, wild punches anyway. Not fluid at all. And we're on the ground. Franca an somewhat of a half guard, working for a leg lock. Edwards wants to stand, and he get the room to do so. Nice kick to the leg of Franca, Franca sprawls for a shoot, but no dice. Edwards doing well, very methodical. Franca goes for the high kick, almost connects but gets hung and falls, Edwards doesn't goes after him and he doesn't wanna go to the ground. Franca takes Edwards down. Already back to the feet. Franca connects with a high kick. Follows by another shoot and has Edwards in his guard.

End of the round. Not real sure who I would give this round to. I'm going to go with Edwards, inspite of Franca's take downs.

Round Two: Franca comes out with the high kick again. He may be going to it a bit to often, Franca shoots again and gets caught in Edwards guard. Edwards probably won't be to hurt by ground and pound due to his striking ability. Ref is probably going to have to stand this back up. Or not, Franca passes to the half guard. Going for the side mount, but Edwards rolls and gets caught in the guard of Edwards. France going for a leg lock, Edwards has got to get up, may bet caught in a achillies lock. Edwards gets up after a nice roll. Franca shoots again. Both and laying back, going for heel hooks, Franca out and caught once again in Edwards guard. Both stand back up. Franca went for a wild spin kick at the end.

End of round two. I'll score that to Franca probably. Edwards did a better job of defending himself on the ground then I expected but Franca was the aggressor and did well with it. This match has gone to the ground more than I expected honestly. I knew Franca would want that, but I expected Edwards to do a better job of protecting himself from getting taken down.

Round three: Another take down by Franca, Edwards catches him back in his guard though. Franca trying to pass into a mount, almost sorta has it but Edwards still has a leg hooked. Edwards went for an komora arm bar, Franca reversed it into an arm bar himself, Edwards escapes and we're back to standing. Edwards going for a knee, may have hit it. Franca comes out swinging, and I swear I've typed "france" like eight times. Edwards almost has a side mount on Franca. More of a half guard. Edwards impressing me. Franca looks frustrated. Swinging very wildly. Back to standing. Franca goes for another single leg takedown with the shoot and gets him. Edwards has the better position though I think. Edwards in the guard now, going for shoulder bumps :wtf: But Edwards stands back up, Franca with another shooot, going for a knee bar.

END of Round three. I'm going to go with Edwards again I think. Prediction, Edwards two matches to one. Very Very close though.

Your winner by judges decsion: With a vote of two judges to one, Edwards.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:12 AM
Lytle (MMA record: 27-10-4) vs Tiki (MMA record: 9-3)

Again I'm guessing another stand up fight, but I was suprised about the amount of ground time on the last fight so who knows.

Round One: Lytle comes out striking. Both want a stand up fight. Both striking. Lytle takes Tiki down and gets his back, Tiki escapes. Lytle wants to set the pace. Doing a fairly good job of it too. Tiki blocking well. Seems to be a feeling out process. Lytle is basically the only one who seems to be comfortable with the idea of a takedown. Lytle has the experiance edge. Lytle misses the haymaker. Tiki with a great combination up against the cage wall. Lytle connects with a right that rocks Tiki's head back a little.

End of Round One. I'll give that one to Lytle. Tiki wasn't nearly aggressive enough.

Round two: Lytle comes back out aggressively. Tiki lands a nice hit. The two battle back and forth, with Lytle getting the take now, getting caught in the guard, now the half guard, and finally the side mount. Lytle has Tiki's back, simple choke for the tap out.

Your Winner: Lytle in the second round.

Tiki is at 0 and 4 in the UFC.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:18 AM
Ortiz-Liddell is next!

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:43 AM
"The Huntington Beach Bad Boy" Tito Ortiz (MMA record: 11-3) vs "The Ice Man" Chuck Liddell (MMA record: 12-3)

Couture is doing commentary. He says he's leaning toward Chuck Liddell over Ortiz. Personally I'm not sure. Chuck is a great striker, Tito is a great grappler but Chuck is great at defending that. This is going to be really close coming down to the judges decision for Ortiz, I think. Damn I don't have an idea who to go for here. :(

LOL some fan through Tito's hat back in after Tito through it to the crowd. Liddell fan I'm guessing. :p

Holy shit, I'm jacked about this. Let's go Tito. :love: Chuck is great, but Tito is the mang.

Round One: AND WE'RE OFF! They both come out a little hesitant, Chuck's a little more aggressive with his stand up then usual. HUGE Tito chant breaking out. Tito and Chuck almost look like they're sparing. Ortiz goes in for a shoot, half hearted and Liddell avoids it. Tito says he wants to go toe to toe, but probably not the best idea if he really does it. Punch and counter punch very constant. Chuck with a decent jab. And another. Another huge Tito chant breaking out. Both go for straight rights, hit but no power with it. Tito blocks a night hook from Liddell. Tito shoots again, Chuck avoids and gets Tito off balance. Nice straight right by Tito connects. Tito looking for little leg kicks here and there. Glancing damage at best really. Randy says Tito was stronger than Liddell, but Chuck's a better puncher. Randy brags saying neither Tito nor Chuck really hit him. Chuck with a nice combo but Tito with a nice counter. CHuck hits Tito straight to the face Tito blocked it for the most part, and ate it then said "bring it".

End of Round One. I'll give the round to Chuck, not much happened until the end.

Round Two: Chuck comes out leading Tito, nice inside kick by Tito. CHuck rocking the shit out of Tito. KNOCK OUT! CHUCK KNOCKED TITO OUT WITH A HUGE COMBO.

Your Winner: By knock out, Chuck Liddell.

They hug after the match, Tito is a mess and really pissed and upset with himself. Several cuts. Chuck went off. Shots one after the other with Tito at the fence. Tito didn't have a chance to break out. Great display by Chuck. Tito chose to stand up, which is what killed him honestly. Ego over proper strategy, simple as that.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:48 AM
Results:

Mike Kyle vs Wes Sims
Kyle by knock out at the end of the first round.

Robbie Lawler vs Nick Diaz
Diaz via knock out with a right hook in the second round.

Cabbage vs Arlovski
Arlovski by knock out in the second round.

Edwards vs Franca
Edwards by 2-1 judges decision.

Lytle vs Tiki
Lytle by tap out in the second round.

Ortiz vs Lidell
Lidell by knockout in the second round.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:48 AM
After the fight, Ortiz says Lidell is the toughest son of a bitch in the UFC. Lidell says he respects Tito for trying to stand up. Great show of respect after the match.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 12:50 AM
Well that's my coverage. Sorry it wasn't the best in the world at first, I tried to improve it as it went. Hope it informed you a bit. Great show. Really enjoyed it as always. I encourage you all to get the replay.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Well, they're showing the undercard now. So I suppose I'll keep you post on that too, I guess.

Brown (MMA record: 9-1) vs Sudo (MMA record: 8-3-1)

Side note: Sudo is weird as fu</>ck, if you've never seen him you've missed out. Very different style compared to most.

My prediction: Damned if I know, Sudo is just entertaining though so I want him to win.

Round One: Sudo starts out with his Bruce Lee stance. Sudo tapped out Butterbean recently by the way. Sudo is small, Butterbean is like 350 so yeah. Anyway Brown backs down Sudo and has him up against the fence. Both going for inside knees. Sudo with a heel trip and get in somewhat of a mount/guard. Brown escapes and gets a take down of his on. Sudo with the guard, almost gets first a triangle choke, then a shoulder lock, Brown escapes. Gets back in the half-guard, and now a full guard. Just to state again, Sudo is still nuts, even the announcers think so. Sudo going for a trian or an arm bar. Brown fighting, but gets caught in a submission and is for to tap.

Your Winner: Sudo with a tap out (combo triangle and arms bar.) in the first round.

Rob
04-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Great show! Only got two predictions wrong (had Cabbage and Ortiz). Nick Diaz was awesome and that was easy the fight of the night. A night of electric matches and a total showcase for any news fans. If you didn't see the show, buy the replay. Main event result may work well for the company in terms of future matches but I was surprised, not shocked, to see Ortiz stand up and willingly take what Liddell had. He should have at least attempted a take down at the start of the second when he started to get hit with that barrage of punches. Can't wait for the June show. No way will Ortiz fight on it though especially against Lee Murray who they are grooming for a middleweight title fight. I actually think Murray may have stronger punching power than Liddell (in fact, I'm sure of it) but Ortiz will piss on him on the ground.

Rob
04-03-2004, 01:11 AM
HBK2K - Great job with the play by play here dude! :y:

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 01:14 AM
It was a great show. They've been on a streak of getting better with their last 5 or 6 shows. Constantly improving. I expect Cabbage and Ortiz to pick up wins too Rob. Diaz suprised me, great showing. Ortiz gets a lot of respect for trying to stand up, still think he let his ego and pride get in his way, but much respect anyway. Takes a man to take hits like that. ORDER THE REPLAY!

Oh and this concludes my coverage. Hope it informed you all. Even if none of you posted during the show. :mad:

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 01:15 AM
HBK2K - Great job with the play by play here dude! :y:

Thanks a lot Rob. I don't do play by play very much, so I was just trying to improve and figure out how to do it as I went. I'm pretty happy with how well I did after the first two fights.

Rob
04-03-2004, 01:21 AM
I'm believing him when he said he got caught with a thumb in the eye during the barrage though because the way he took the punches at the end of the first and just went nuts proved he could stand and take him really. He also has an excellent chin but hey, when you are in a shoot and take 10 square shots to the jaw, you are going down no matter who you are.

Wes Sims is going to be a huge wrestling star some day.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 01:26 AM
Yeah, It'd be hard to take that many shots without catching a thumb really. As much as I love Ortiz and know he can take the punishment fact is, as you said, you're going to go down. I understand what he did, but I still think he should have went to the ground. Not to say Lidell isn't good on the mat, he's proved time and time again he can defend there very well, I still think Ortiz could have won it in a wrestling match.

I can see that about Sims too now that you mention it. Never thought of it before you said it.

Rob
04-03-2004, 01:36 AM
He apparently loves wrestling too. His size and charisma has Vince McMahon drool all over it.

Back to Tito, if Cabbage went down after getting caught clean that many times than what chance do any other fighters have really?

Genki Sudo is so awesome too. I want to see him and Caol Uno back fighting more regularly in the States.
You hear that Nathan Jones is going to start doing shoots now?

HeartBreakMan2k
04-03-2004, 01:40 AM
Didn't hear it, but I can picture him going for his spin kicks, slipping and stumbling right into a right hook.

Seriously though, Jones is big enough and strong enough that with a good amount of training he could do something. I just can't see him being too successful though.

Sudo is the man. He may not seem like much when you watch him at first, but everything he does is strategy. I do MMA and have for a few years locally, and have faced guys similar to him. He lures people in to thinking they have him, then he ends the match. Great talent.

Excellance of Execution
04-03-2004, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the coverage HeartBreakKid2k, it's really appreciated. It sounds like it was a great show. I wish i would have been able to watch it. Hopefully i will be able to watch the next one, especially if Ken Shamrock is fighting.

Rob
04-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Was an awesome show bro. The next show should be pretty good too with Shamrock vs. Kimo II and Matt Hughes and Lee Murray returning to the Octagon.

VonErich Lives
04-04-2004, 04:58 PM
ok, I gotta ask a stupid question, if goign down is part of UFC, the mat wrestling and submissions and stuff, why did Ortiz try and box?

I dunno, everyones calling it "guts" and "pride"... sounds stupid to me, unless theres a reason I'm missing.

I wish I had watched it, Ortiz is too cocky, always fun watching him get his ass kicked.

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-05-2004, 04:54 PM
I dunno if this has been said, but apparently Ortiz was just piss scared of Lidell, ecause of their past and that Lidell had really pounded the crap out of him. I guess he figured it'd look more gutsy if he stood up and took his beating like a man.

I didn't see the whole show, but what I saw was cool. I enjoyed what I saw of Lawler vs. DIaz and Franca vs. Edwards, and the main event was interesting. Overall, exciting stuff, I hope to see more of it.

Rob
04-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Ortiz certainly didn't look pissed scared while getting into the Octagon. He looked very calm and very pumped. I have no idea why Ortiz tried boxing when his main strengths are wrestling and ground and pound. Liddell is a superior striker so I guess he thought he had to throw a swerve and try to stand with Liddell. Obviously never worked but to be fair, he did get a thumb in the eye before a barrage of punches and that is definately going to put you off your guard.

Like I mentioned earlier, this result was probably the best for the company. It opens up matches for Liddell whose UFC career may have been over had he lost since he lost to Randy Couture last time out, lost to Quinton Jackson in Pride and then Ortiz. For Ortiz, a loss means he can get it on with Lee Murray in a major grudge match. He has way to many high profile wins not to get rematches. Ortiz is the company's big draw and unlike everyone else in the company, he knows exactly how to sell a fight. A 4 man tournement between Courture, Ortiz, Liddell and Vitor Belfort looks freaking nice!

Ol Dirty Dastard
04-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Liddel's defense on takedowns is apparently really good as well. So maybe Tito didn't believe he could get him down. Couture said he's incredibly quick to get up.

Kris P Lettus
04-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Is Kimo the "I fight for Jesus" Samoan???

If so he's the man.. I haven't watched UFC in years...

Rob
04-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Yeah he is. I think Ken Shamrock will waste him though. More looking forward to the 1st round of the middleweight tournament and Matt Hughes' first first since losing his title to BJ Penn.

The CyNick
04-07-2004, 07:17 PM
Didn't see the show yet, but with Ortiz losing again, I wonder if he's going to try his hand at pro wrestling soon. I've heard him cut promos and he's really good, he could be a newer more charasmatic version of Ken Shamrock. I know he still has some stuff left he can do in UFC, but I'm think a year or two down the road.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Didn't see the show yet, but with Ortiz losing again, I wonder if he's going to try his hand at pro wrestling soon. I've heard him cut promos and he's really good, he could be a newer more charasmatic version of Ken Shamrock. I know he still has some stuff left he can do in UFC, but I'm think a year or two down the road.

I heard that he accepted a date or two in Japan already for pro wrestling... any truth to that?

The CyNick
04-09-2004, 04:40 PM
I heard that he accepted a date or two in Japan already for pro wrestling... any truth to that?

I dont know about pro wrestling, it could be true, I just dont recall hearing anything like that.

I did see something from Meltzer where he said Ortiz has 4-5 fights left on his contract with UFC where he makes $120,000 per fight plus $80K bonus for wins. So that would keep him busy for about 2 years, and I doubt UFC would let him do anything else in that time period.

However, after that, and especially if he keeps losing I can see him looking to the WWE. Apparently him and Rey are good friends.

Rob
04-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Ortiz has no pro wrestling deals on the table. If you look at the whole thing with open eyes, the future for the company in terms of marquee fights looks very good. There are very good reasons for Belfort, Ortiz, Liddell and Courture all fighting each other again since they all have history with each other. I'd pay to see any of them fight each other again especially Ortiz vs. Liddell II because that fight would be so different from the first.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-11-2004, 03:19 PM
Thanks for clearing that up about Ortiz. Yeah, UFC (and MMA in general) has a very bright future ahead of them, especially with Ortiz heading the charge. Even if he does lose, he has the look and the ability to get fans behind him, and become the marque name.

The CyNick
04-11-2004, 11:44 PM
I'd be interested to see how far UFC could go if they can get some weekly television. I know its been talked about, but until it happens its just talk.

Rob
04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Apparently it's on for the fall now but I'm sure you already knew that being that I heard it from the same source you will.

The CyNick
04-12-2004, 04:24 PM
Apparently it's on for the fall now but I'm sure you already knew that being that I heard it from the same source you will.

Yeah I herad about the possibility of it being a "reality show" type deal. Hopefully cooler (smarter) heads prevail.