PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction #11: If you test positive for Steroids in baseball....

Splaya
07-30-2009, 02:24 PM
Should you get a lifetime ban. I only ask this because Hanso brought up a good point. Pete Rose has been banned for life because he cheat the game and made money. Players who roid are doing the same thing. So how are they not one in the same?

Jeritron
07-30-2009, 02:32 PM
There should be a stricter policy. I think there's room for mistakes, like substances or flawed tests.
I think maybe it should be 2 strikes, and testing should be more often.

Jeritron
07-30-2009, 02:33 PM
and the bans should be more severe. First offense should be a season ban. Second offense should be multiple years or a full out ban from baseball.

Emperor Smeat
07-30-2009, 06:49 PM
Pete Rose situation is a bit different in that he was betting while a manager and mostly on games for his team to win. If he had betted n other sports or on games not related to the Reds, it wouldn't have been that bad of a mess. Anytime he did not bet on the Reds, it gave away a signal that maybe the Reds wouldn't be able to win that day (not fixing the game).

MLB needs to replace the commish since he's done nothing of importance involving steroids unless he's forced or its too late. I agree with at least a 2nd offense should be lifetime ban since you'd be stupid to try roiding after getting caught the 1st time.

Jeritron
07-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I'm pretty sure the bet slips that have turned up have never indicated that he bet on or against the Reds

I also have a hard time believing that a guy who dives headfirst into home during an exhibition game is the type to throw a game.

Emperor Smeat
07-30-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm pretty sure the bet slips that have turned up have never indicated that he bet on or against the Reds

I also have a hard time believing that a guy who dives headfirst into home during an exhibition game is the type to throw a game.

Pete Rose's biggest problem was letting the whole scandal last for too many years before finally confessing because a book he wrote was coming out. I bet had he just accepted the fact he betted on MLB games, i doubt he gets a lifetime ban or one of those bans that can be liftable after a certain period of time.

Jeritron
07-30-2009, 09:39 PM
He will find his way into the Hall of Fame eventually as it is. His integrity as a Coach cannot be proven comprimised. Perhaps he bet on his team, but against them? That's only an accusation.
Either way, a disgrace like that represents his integrity as a coach and not a player. To be frank, he's not up for HoF consideration based on his coaching skills.
He's up for being the alltime hit king, and gambling has nothing to do with that.

I'm fairly confident he's going to get in. Probably sooner than later. The fans certainly don't care. I haven't heard very many fans from any market claim that he shouldn't be in. People want him in. Even existing HoFers.
All it's going to take is a commissioner with some sack to lift the ban and get the job done.

Jeritron
07-30-2009, 09:44 PM
Also, if the ban is lifted he would be voted on by the existing HoFers (veterans committee).

That may lessen his chances, since with the writers he'd probably be a shoe-in, and voted on by a much larger pool of people.
There are only 60 or so living HoFers, so he'd have to get 75% of their votes. I still think he'd get in, since some have been vocal about his deserving to be in, including Hank Aaron who has major pull among the group.

But, there is a chance that some of those guys will have a gripe, or an axe to grind and he could get blocked.

Emperor Smeat
07-30-2009, 10:28 PM
What helps Pete Rose was only his coaching time has problems since his years as a player don't have anything to do with the betting scandal. I believe his numbers are good enough as is to be in the Hall of Fame to go with how much of a factor he was for the 2 championships the Reds won in the 1970s.

But baseball's biggest problem is they probably have the worst commish out of the main sports in America. Until Selig is replaced, I wouldn't expect anything big in terms of rule changes or how steroids are treated.

Hanso Amore
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM

AMEN

Im not saying he wasnt wrong, but I think the idea of a lifetime ban is retarded and way too much. There is no proof he compromised the game at all. Steroids do. So if we dont ban the juicers, then Rose should be reinstated. If they keep Rose banned, juicers should be banned too.

I hate the logic that "When alot of these guys used roids there was no rule banning it". Well there is now. So Manny should be banned.

Hanso Amore
07-31-2009, 10:58 AM
Also, if the ban is lifted he would be voted on by the existing HoFers (veterans committee).

That may lessen his chances, since with the writers he'd probably be a shoe-in, and voted on by a much larger pool of people.
There are only 60 or so living HoFers, so he'd have to get 75% of their votes. I still think he'd get in, since some have been vocal about his deserving to be in, including Hank Aaron who has major pull among the group.

But, there is a chance that some of those guys will have a gripe, or an axe to grind and he could get blocked.

Most people actually think the writers and their holier than thou stance wouldnt put him in, but he actually has alot of vet support.

Loose Cannon
07-31-2009, 11:02 AM
I've said it before, if Rose goes in, they better let Joe Jackson in as well

Hanso Amore
07-31-2009, 11:07 AM
I've said it before, if Rose goes in, they better let Joe Jackson in as well

Is he even hall of fame worthy though?

I see you point, but I also think they are 2 very different cases.

Its all so fucking annoying.

Loose Cannon
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
heck yea he is. Baseball Referance has him rated well above there HOF Candidate Score thing. I always like to refer to their scoring. He was one of the best players in his era and I believe TY Cobb even said he was the best player he ever saw. Not that one man's opinion matters, but yea.

Both cases involved some form of gambling. The biggest problem I have witht the Jackson case is the fucking guy batted .375 and slugged over .500 in the series that was fixed. He did nothing wrong other then not saying anything.

Hanso Amore
07-31-2009, 11:18 AM
Im not all that familiar with his role, im gonna read up on it

I just think that throwing a world series is far worse than better on baseball. Its not even about the gambling...he literally destroyed the idea of the game.

ct2k
07-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Once the game has been properly cleaned up? Yes, why not.

But right now? No

The MLB is just as complicit in this as the players who juiced because they totally acquiesced to it and allowed it to become so widespread. To ban players for life for doing something that was tacitly allowed would be obscene.