PDA

View Full Version : Baddest of the Bad - TIE BREAKER ROUND - JOKER/HANNIBAL LECTER

thedamndest
08-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Tied with 14 in the last round and the winner to meet Darth Vader. Who will it be? There must be a winner!

Skippord
08-11-2009, 02:52 AM
Hannibal The Cannibal

Tazz Dan
08-11-2009, 07:20 AM
Hannibal was ok, but Joker takes my vote.

D Mac
08-11-2009, 07:39 AM
Joker to job to Darth in the final. The Dark Side prevails.

BDR
08-11-2009, 11:18 AM
Gee I wonder who will win the tournament the suspense is killing me. :roll:

Jon Kano
08-11-2009, 11:24 AM
Pretty obvious Joker is better, getting sick of this whole Lecter thing tbh, it was like nearly 20 years ago, he was on screen for 16 mins or some shit, very good yes, but this good? NO

thedamndest
08-11-2009, 12:34 PM
He won the Best Actor Oscar for those 16 minutes.

Jon Kano
08-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Although it's a great achievement, and a top notch performance, I just think people put too much focus on that Oscar win.

I dunno, like everything, its down to personal opinion, and he does deserve to be up there in mine. But I also think it's overrated, I mean I thought he was much better and engaging in Hannibal.

thedamndest
08-11-2009, 01:25 PM
I thought he was good in all of them. Hannibal was my least favorite movie, in part due to the recasting of Jodie Foster and because of the change in ending from the book. But Hopkins was always interesting to watch in the movie. All of his lines and mannerisms were like clockwork.

Jon Kano
08-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Agreed.

And the recasting was a major fault too.

I dunno, there is something I do love about Silence more than Hannibal, the look, I think it would be the lens/older camera and editing they used for it, it looks more gritty and has more character. But then I really liked Hannibal as a 'film' and loved the fact Hopkins had more camera time.

Jeritron
08-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Kano, if you're going to say that Hopkins performance and oscar win is overrated then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Joker is great. I'm voting for him again here, but come on. You can't sit here and tell me he wasn't hyped and "overrated" in a similar, if not grander, fashion.

Jeritron
08-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I am voting The Joker, not because he's better. I actually think Hopkins gives the better performance and is the more interesting character.

I vote Joker because he was a greater foil for the hero. He was a more motivating and challenging villain. Lecter was more of a character study on the side, and was used as a plot device to advance the existing conflict of the FBI and Buffalo Bill.
He wasn't much of a foil to Clarice, but rather something that inspired her.
For that reason I think he qualifies as a character that transcends the villain role.

Jeritron
08-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Lecter's escape from prison is quite possibly the best sequence I've ever seen in a movie. It's an adventure all to it's own, and its so damn effective. It manages to be shocking and terrifying in concept. That's pretty hard to accomplish.

They build him up so well that the notion of him being unleashed into the general public makes your stomach drop as if you were a part of the movie. Not to mention the way he does it is unreal.

Jon Kano
08-11-2009, 07:59 PM
Kano, if you're going to say that Hopkins performance and oscar win is overrated then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Joker is great. I'm voting for him again here, but come on. You can't sit here and tell me he wasn't hyped and "overrated" in a similar, if not grander, fashion.

Yeah ok, as a single performance, you're right, he deserved and got the Oscar, fair enough.

For the time at least. So what I mean is that, since the performance, I believe that villains and performances from actors and films that didn't win, are better and simply excel. Joker being one of them.

And seriously, no I don't believe he was hyped or overrated at all. I mean they never referred or used 'Heath Ledger's last full appearance in a film' type promotion. Yeah, his death was hyped and massive, and they referred to him as Joker and TDK as a film, but his overall life, and real life persona was more the focal point in my opinion, least that's what I got from my media intake.