PDA

View Full Version : The Fall of Dragon (armchair booking theory that will never happen)

What Would Kevin Do?
08-24-2009, 07:06 PM
So I was thinking. Bryan Danielson has signed with the WWE. WWE is supposedly interested in 4-5 other ROH guys.

Bryan Danielson is facing the ROH World Champion, Austin Aries, in one of his last matches.

What if Danielson wins, and does what many other wrestlers have claimed they'll do. What if Danielson were to bring the ROH title to WWE.

Think about it. I know a cross promotional feud isn't likely to happen, but it has happened before, with ECW. Conveniently, it happened when ECW made it to ppv. Coincidentally, WWE shows major interest in ROH stars right after ROH moves to Monday night.

ROH isn't a threat to WWE, but much like ECW, WWE is benefited somewhat by ROH doing good.

So what if Dragon won, and showed up on WWE with the ROH belt. What if other "ROH Wrestlers" (the ones WWE is interested in) start showing up, trying to win the ROH title back. It'd be an interesting angle, it'd get ROH some air time, and would take very little effort on WWE's part (eventually Danielson or someone would need to either go back to ROH for a match, or lose the title to a real ROH wrestle on WWE tv). On the other hand, it'd help the WWE crowd become immediately familiarized with some of the new ROH wrestlers making their way into the WWE, and essentially allow them to carry over their personas to the WWE.

Thoughts?

Also, who do you think that WWE is actually interested in? I'm guessing Nigel, Claudio, Kenny King, maybe Davey Richards, and POSSIBLY Chris Hero. Tyler Black is a dark horse. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if they showed interest in Austin Aries either.

Supreme Olajuwon
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
It'd be tough comparing ROH with WWE because the ROH guys are all so much smaller than their WWE counterparts. The ROH guys would look like the WWE guys' little brothers.

Nicky Fives
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
Don't see it happening..... Vince doesn't give two shits about ROH or their Title, and probably would never want to help out their promotion unless he could make a financial gain on the angle..... and considering that a strong 99% of the WWE fanbase would not have heard of Danielson or any other ROH competitor, Isay your theory is nothing more than a pipe-dream :(

What Would Kevin Do?
08-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Don't see it happening..... Vince doesn't give two shits about ROH or their Title, and probably would never want to help out their promotion unless he could make a financial gain on the angle..... and considering that a strong 99% of the WWE fanbase would not have heard of Danielson or any other ROH competitor, Isay your theory is nothing more than a pipe-dream :(

The same could be said about ECW in the past. ECW helped make good wrestlers, WWE took those wrestlers, ECW made new wrestlers.

Anyway, it's not a theory, it's just a what if/arm chair booking scenario.

Skippord
08-24-2009, 08:29 PM
Been thinking Nigel is big and can talk so probably him

Hero cause I'm in love with him

Indifferent Clox
08-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Id say it's more like 75%-80% who don't know who Bryan Danielson is.

Mr. Nerfect
08-25-2009, 02:24 AM
I can't see the WWE working with ROH. Rumours are suggesting that the WWE is trying to sign ROH guys to weaken them. I'd be lying if I said that I would not be interested in seeing a series of matches between WWE guys and ROH guys, though.

If I were booking the angle, the ROH guys wouldn't face each other on WWE TV, but would instead feud with the WWE guys. As for guys that ROH is interested in, here is a list of guys I can see being signed:

Austin Aries (he's just a great performer on every level)
Bison Smith (he's just the WWE's type of wrestler)
Brent Albright (he's been in the WWE before, but the WWE might be able to find a place for him this time)
Chris Hero (as a mid-carder, he's just got too much to offer the WWE)
Claudio Castagnoli (they had him signed at one point, and I'm not sure what happened, but I can see them trying again)
Colt Cabana (the WWE had him and released him, but times change -- I can definitely see Scotty Goldman as a Punk lackey)
Davey Richards (a solid wrestler with a style that the WWE might find interesting)
Delirious (the company has apparently looked at him before; it wouldn't be a big surprise, given that he is also the trainer of a lot of guys in ROH)
Erick Stevens (he's got the size the WWE likes)
Kenny King (this guy just oozes charisma, and he can wrestle)
Nigel McGuinness (he's got some good size to him, and is pretty well-rounded)
Tyler Black (he's the "hot thing" on the indy scene right now -- he's got a lot of potential to develop)

I can see the WWE offering all those guys contracts. They'll probably throw some Kevin Steen, El Generico, Jay and Mark Briscoe's way, as well. You know, just for the hell of it. Of those guys, think the most likely to take WWE contracts would be Brent Albright, Chris Hero, Claudio Castagnoli, Kenny King and Nigel McGuinness. Albright has alluded to such in interviews; Chris Hero really isn't doing much in ROH, and seems like the perfect addition, personality-wise to the WWE roster; Claudio has signed before, and isn't being used to maximum potential on the indy scene; and Nigel has been there, done that with ROH. A lot of the other guys have had bad big promotion experience before, are very young and still have a lot to learn before then taking deals with the WWE or are just too vital to ROH, so they might hang around if they don't feel the WWE will use them right.