PDA

View Full Version : Brett Rogers will be Fedor's first Strikeforce opponent

Impact!
08-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Fedor Emelianenko will make his Strikeforce debut in a showdown with undefeated heavyweight Brett Rogers, Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker announced on Wednesday during the Russian superstar’s public workout at the Fighthouse Gym in New York City. No date or venue was announced.

Unbeaten in his last 27 fights, Emelianenko (30-1, 1 NC) flattened former UFC champions Andrei Arlovski and Tim Sylvia in his most recent outings. The 32-year-old Russian knocked out Arlovski with one punch 3:14 into their match at Affliction “Day of Reckoning” in January but has not competed since.

Hard to handle on his feet and on the ground, Emelianenko has finished his last five opponents inside one round and holds victories against Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, 2006 Pride Open Weight Grand Prix winner Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic and former UFC heavyweight champions Mark Coleman and Kevin Randleman. He has delivered 23 of his 30 career wins by knockout, technical knockout or submission.

Rogers (10-0), meanwhile, launched himself into the national spotlight when he dismantled Arlovski in 22 seconds at a Strikeforce show in June. The 28-year-old Minnesotan has finished all 10 of his opponents and stands as a formidable physical challenge for Emelianenko. The 6-foot-5, 265-pound EliteXC veteran will own a significant height and weight advantage when the two meet.

Impact!
08-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Least it's not Werdum I suppose...

The Show Off
08-26-2009, 10:37 PM
Least it's not Werdum I suppose...

Werdum would be legit at least.

Impact!
08-26-2009, 11:56 PM
Rogers beat Arlovski, that's legit enough I guess...he's very similar to Shane Carwin in a way...Werdum is coming off losses to Arlovski and JDS, with wins over Mike Kyle and Vera...so in regards to the casual fan Rogers probably seems like a more dangerous opponent...maybe...I still would have rathered Overeem V Fedor.

Reavant
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
vitor would have been more dangerous to fedor than rogers... expect a sylvia type finish

Mr. JL
08-29-2009, 02:55 AM
Still, pretty intriguing given that Rogers knocked out Arlovski much quicker and without being hit as 'Fedor' did. I'm betting that Rogers defeats Fedor in this bout, which will make Strikeforce's newly signed acquisition appear to be a joke. And probably a waste of money and 'co-promotion'.

Impact!
08-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Dunno, I really haven't been overly impressed with Rogers so far. Yes, he did beat Arlovski in 22 seconds, but it didn't/doesn't really show off that much. If he had of beaten Arlovski convincingly over a couple of minutes I'd probably agree with you...

Mr. JL
08-29-2009, 03:36 AM
Its more a prediction if anything. Knocking out Arlovski does appear to be easier than it once was but Fedor ate a fair bit of knuckle before he did it. I just have a feeling Rogers is going to make the UFC laugh out loud and leave Strikeforce shaking their heads when it is all said and done.

Impact!
08-29-2009, 04:07 AM
Only one way to tell I suppose :p

Vastardikai
08-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Rogers is just stupid enough to charge in and try to knock out Fedor.

And... it's just crazy enough to work.

Honestly: I see Fedor getting Rocked, falling, Brett chasing him to the ground to finish, and Fedor busting out an armbar.

Reavant
08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
urgh... the KOing of arlovski wasnt impressive at all. Andrei hadnt trained in mma since his loss to fedor. He had been with freddie roach training boxing. His contract had a stipulation that he fight every 4 months so he stepped in short notice to fight brett.

The big thing about the whole fight is andrei didnt stick to any gameplan that was set out there. Now you may ask, it was 22 seconds what does it matter? His MMA coaches had 2 days to work with him, and they tried hammering in his head to move a lot to his right and not attach until he cuts the angle. If you watch the fight, he stood flat footed right in front of brett and threw inside leg kicks. Note he has not thrown a leg kick since he fought fedor.

Given arlovski's suspect chin, I see nothing really impressive outside of good reach and power on bretts part. andrei was being retarded and deverved to get beat and rogers just happened to be the guy in the cage with him that night.