PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Breaking Point

Volare
08-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Alright, is anyone interested in this so far?

I mean Orton/Cena in an I Quit match, seems like this is a set up for Cena since WWE won't let the kiddies see their superhero say "I Quit"

The only thing I'm interested in is the submission match between Undertaker and Punk. Maybe (and god I hope) we will see the Anaconda Vice again finally.

What's your take on this?

Gertner
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Its a stupid idea all around. I can see this being horribly boring.

screech
08-30-2009, 11:42 AM
As soon as I heard the concept, I had a feeling it was going to be bad. Almost no one uses a submission hold as a finisher anymore, and no one has been built up with one recently (like anyone would be).

This will probably be terrible.

Nicky Fives
08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
It is in Montreal, meaning that the crowd should be hot and be cheering who deserves to be cheered (ala Orton, Punk, etc.)... with HBK being booed to hell (if he's on the card)

Sixx
08-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Stop with Orton/Cena already... Jeez.

thedamndest
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
I might be totally off on this, but the way they booked the Singapore Cane finish between Kane and Khali on Smackdown made it sound like they were setting up a Singapore Cane submission match between the two at Breaking Point. This would imply that the matches aren't regular submission matches, but gimmick submission matches. Could be way off though.

Xero
08-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Well they are doing the I Quit match, so you might be right, Thed.

Xero
08-30-2009, 01:02 PM
And we will definitely see the Vice, but no way Taker's tapping.

Favre4Ever
08-30-2009, 01:10 PM
This PPV will just be setting things up for the Hell in a Cell PPV next month. Can't imagine paying for this.

GD
08-30-2009, 04:08 PM
Punk needs a decent title reign. There is no way he is losing at Breaking Point.

Droford
08-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Alright, is anyone interested in this so far?

I mean Orton/Cena in an I Quit match, seems like this is a set up for Cena since WWE won't let the kiddies see their superhero say "I Quit"

The only thing I'm interested in is the submission match between Undertaker and Punk. Maybe (and god I hope) we will see the Anaconda Vice again finally.

What's your take on this?

More Like Orton doesn't have a submission hold to use. Orton will win because I am 98% sure they want Orton/Cena HIAC to finish off things for now between the two of them with Cena winning then.

My guess is Cena is KO'ed via a punt and the ref stops it even though its an I Quit match. Cena has the "You didnt make me say "I quit"!!" angle, which is why he gets a rematch inside HIAC.

Juan
08-30-2009, 04:42 PM
CM Punk

The Gold Standard
08-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I bet DX beats Legacy via duel Sharpshooters

GD
08-30-2009, 05:04 PM
That would be Epic!

Droford
08-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I bet DX beats Hart Dynasty via duel Sharpshooters

fixed, even though I dont know how that would happen..

Kane86
08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
It is in Montreal, meaning that the crowd should be hot and be cheering who deserves to be cheered (ala Orton, Punk, etc.)... with HBK being booed to hell (if he's on the card)

Orton does not desered to be cheered at all.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 06:30 PM
Orton does not desered to be cheered at all.

He's not Cena.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Also, I don't see what's so "stupid" about main event submission stipulations.

screech
08-30-2009, 06:41 PM
Also, I don't see what's so "stupid" about main event submission stipulations.

...when half of the guys in the main event don't use a submission regularly.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
...when half of the guys in the main event don't use a submission regularly.

That's not a reflection on the ppv, it just further illuminates that Cena and Orton can't -- or at leas don't -- wrestle. Still doesn't make the ppv itself "stupid".

XCaliber
08-30-2009, 06:48 PM
Actually I think Orton will win so he can unveil his new submission finisher. :D

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Actually I think Orton will win so he can unveil his new submission finisher. :D

Maybe he'll just keep the headlock on Cena long enough that John taps out of boredom.

Kane86
08-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Yeah, Actually this should be right up Ortons Alley. Now all those matches where it was 25 minutes of Headlocks followed by an RKO can tottally work well with these stipulations.

Orton finally found his niche this won't be just another Orton match this time the headlocks actually mean something.

Jimmy Cones
08-30-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm a bit unsure what will happen with Punk v Taker, on one hand Taker can't lose on his return ppv, on the other Punk needs a decent title reign. Maybe DQ and then put Punk over at hell in a cell against Taker? Though I doubt it'd be clean.

I've decided not to pay attention to the WWE title until none of HHH, Cena, Orton, or Batista have the title. Unfortunately that doesn't leave many people.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
How is a HiaC match ever "clean"?

Innovator
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
You know Orton could just keep punting Cena in the head

XCaliber
08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe he'll just keep the headlock on Cena long enough that John taps out of boredom.

Cena could do the same by cutting a 1 hour promo I think even Orton would crack after that long.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd like Orton to get ahold of Cena's head and just keep raking his bootlaces across Cena's face.

ORton: You give up?

Cena: Never!

*rake rake rake*

Orton: How 'bout now?

Cena: Jesus, yes, that fucking hurts!

*rake rake rake*

Cena: I said I quit!

Orton: I know

*rake rake rake*

Droford
08-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I'm a bit unsure what will happen with Punk v Taker, on one hand Taker can't lose on his return ppv, on the other Punk needs a decent title reign. Maybe DQ and then put Punk over at hell in a cell against Taker? Though I doubt it'd be clean.

I've decided not to pay attention to the WWE title until none of HHH, Cena, Orton, or Batista have the title. Unfortunately that doesn't leave many people.

Wouldnt it be better to just not watch RAW?

#1-norm-fan
08-30-2009, 07:45 PM

Well it's a submission match so a DQ finish won't happen...

I am intrigued about how the title matches will end. Obviously Cena can't say I Quit. And Taker submitting just isn't going to happen though it would be the most incredible finish in WWE history. Yet I can't see Punk submitting and dropping the title so quickly again. Should be interesting.

screech
08-30-2009, 08:14 PM
That's not a reflection on the ppv, it just further illuminates that Cena and Orton can't -- or at leas don't -- wrestle. Still doesn't make the ppv itself "stupid".

It shows poor planning on WWE's part. Why book submission matches when not many people end matches with them? So it's not that the PPV itself is stupid, it's that the PPV is stupid to do now.

Triple Naitch
08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I wanna try and knock the idea of the PPV, but I also thought that the Championship Scramble matches were a bad idea at first. So I'm gonna sit back and wait until after the PPV before I give my opinion.

DAMN iNATOR
08-30-2009, 08:20 PM
So, who thinks they only came up with this idea just to have The Montréal Screwjob II (in the Punk/Taker match)? Because I'm smelling a conspiracy against Punk...:shifty:

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:22 PM
It shows poor planning on WWE's part. Why book submission matches when not many people end matches with them? So it's not that the PPV itself is stupid, it's that the PPV is stupid to do now.

Not many people end the matches that way, which it what makes it interesting. I would think they're going for a "What will happen?" reaction, rather than an "I'm writing this off before I see it". I will say that having Orton in a match like this is a bad idea, but I also think it should have been a regular submission match with Jerry and Cole playing up that Orton isn't a submissionist and is therefor, theoretically, fucked. To that end, I don't think doing the ppv style is bad, I think the way they're going about it it needlessly complicated.

That being said, it's not like Cena/Orton is the star of that show, anyway, so fuck 'em.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
I wanna try and knock the idea of the PPV, but I also thought that the Championship Scramble matches were a bad idea at first. So I'm gonna sit back and wait until after the PPV before I give my opinion.

As well we should. :y:

Sixx
08-30-2009, 08:23 PM
So, who thinks they only came up with this idea just to have The Montréal Screwjob II (in the Punk/Taker match)? Because I'm smelling a conspiracy against Punk...:shifty:

Hm. Sounds interesting, but conspiracy against Punk? You mean conspiracy to make him hated more, right? Cause I don't see how they would end it screwing him.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Hm. Sounds interesting, but conspiracy against Punk? You mean conspiracy to make him hated more, right? Cause I don't see how they would end it screwing him.

He was being facetious.

screech
08-30-2009, 08:27 PM
:shifty:

Juan
08-30-2009, 08:30 PM

The smartest post in this thread.

screech
Not many people end the matches that way, which it what makes it interesting. I would think they're going for a "What will happen?" reaction, rather than an "I'm writing this off before I see it". I will say that having Orton in a match like this is a bad idea, but I also think it should have been a regular submission match with Jerry and Cole playing up that Orton isn't a submissionist and is therefor, theoretically, fucked. To that end, I don't think doing the ppv style is bad, I think the way they're going about it it needlessly complicated.

That being said, it's not like Cena/Orton is the star of that show, anyway, so fuck 'em.

They're going for "What will happen?" and getting a "This sucks" instead. I've said I don't have high hopes for it, but that's because I had a strong feeling this was going to happen. I figured they wouldn't play up the fact that Orton isn't a submission guy, and change the stipulations to make it "fair."

Just a bunch of silliness, it is.

Sixx
He was being facetious.

Go me...

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:32 PM
They're going for "What will happen?" and getting a "This sucks" instead. I've said I don't have high hopes for it, but that's because I had a strong feeling this was going to happen. I figured they wouldn't play up the fact that Orton isn't a submission guy, and change the stipulations to make it "fair."

Just a bunch of silliness, it is.

This is, unfortunately, the disappointing truth.

Juan
08-30-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't know, I don't think you really need to be known as a submission guy to wrestle in an I Quit match. Submission Match is another story.

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't know, I don't think you really need to be known as a submission guy to wrestle in an I Quit match. Submission Match is another story.

No, that's the point. Putting Orton in a regular submission and then hyping the fact that his title is in danger because he's not a submission guy would have been the way to go. Making it an "I Quit" match was a cop out.

screech
08-30-2009, 08:34 PM

Right. That's why it sorta makes sense to make it an I Quit match. But it would have been more interesting if it was left a Submission Match. It would have been interesting to see how Orton handled it.

screech
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Afterlife beat me to it.

Juan
08-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I guess.

Pretty sure people would still be complaining about the fact that Orton is not known for his submission moves. Maybe I'm wrong though...

Afterlife
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess.

Pretty sure people would still be complaining about the fact that Orton is not known for his submission moves. Maybe I'm wrong though...

No, you're right, some would. And Cena is only known for one very bland one. But to see how two non-submission competitors woud handle that situation would be much more interesting in concept than another I Quit. NOt that I have any gripes with an I Quit match, either. Just doesn't have the same level "Where will this go?"

Droford
08-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I wonder if the tag title match is going to be a Submission match? Because you know who is going to tap out if thats the case.

Kapoutman
08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm seeing this live. I just hope it doesn't suck.