PDA

View Full Version : Are would-be young wrestlers more interested in MMA now?

DrA
09-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Are the same people who aspired to be professional wrestlers ten or so years ago now training to be MMA fighters instead? I suppose the same question goes for boxers as well.

Kane86
09-01-2009, 05:21 PM
There kids they don't know what they want in life.

Indifferent Clox
09-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Yes. This is very much happening.

Kane86
09-01-2009, 05:26 PM
There will always be wrestling fans trust me. Like I said they are just kids its the current fad. Just like when we were all children we all wanted to be wrestlers.

Londoner
09-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Its not surprising if true, vince's way of treating wrestlers(hiring/firing every week) doesn't help things.

Kane86
09-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Its not surprising if true, vince's way of treating wrestlers(hiring/firing every week) doesn't help things.

Putting over big ass Roid heads doesn't help either.

mike adamle
09-01-2009, 05:48 PM
Putting over big ass Roid heads doesn't help either.

Why isn't this in caps?

Vastardikai
09-01-2009, 06:04 PM
I can think of one former pro-wrestler who, after learning how to roll, went into MMA.

And, I'm not talking about Brock Lesnar or Bobby Lashley.

FourFifty
09-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I think one factor is MMA is more masculine than wrestling. While in MMA you have pure adrenaline pumping action, in WWE you have a midget wrestling a guy in a cow costume.

#1-norm-fan
09-01-2009, 07:07 PM
No. I remember when I was a kid wanting to be a wrestler at least, MMA would not have appealed to me. It was the "Larger than life hero/villian" type aspect of being a wrestler that appealed to me. It's not present in MMA.

CSL
09-01-2009, 07:11 PM
A friend of mine quit 'the business' and is currently training with Paul Taylor for MMA so maybe

Emperor Smeat
09-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Its possible but it doesn't mean all those wrestlers who switched to MMA would be successful fighters. Anything that is currently popular or hot as a career choice is going to get more attention than other choices.

abec
09-02-2009, 05:02 AM
There is lots of scene MMA places in major cities which replaced all the regional/local wrestling companies from the early 90's and before. Therefore its much easier to get paid doing MMA and where the money is at is where the people will go.

jerichoholicninja
09-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Ya, All-Star Championship Wrestling used to be really big around here and even had a TV deal. Now there are a few different MMA type promotions and they have events at least once a month. When I work out at the gym that's usually the topic of conversation among younger guys and most of them are wearing some sort of MMA t-shirt. ACW is still around but lost the TV deal a bunch of years ago and only has one show every month or so and at the same crappy bar.

Funky Fly
09-03-2009, 12:56 AM
The problem with wrestling is Vince McMahon and Vince Russo. They are the 2 biggest things keeping wrestling from being the best it possibly could be, while MMA writes itself, what with being a real sport and all.

There shouldn't be any reason people can't watch both, but the thing I hear most often with that 18- 34 male demographic (most of the people I hang out with on a regular basis and their extended group of friends and so on and so on) is "wrestling is gay. It was cool in like 2000 with Stone Cold and The Rock, but it's boring now".

Kane Knight
09-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Are the same people who aspired to be professional wrestlers ten or so years ago now training to be MMA fighters instead? I suppose the same question goes for boxers as well.

Probably to some extent, but I doubt it's really much different from any fad or phenomena before it. Even when wrestling's in a slump, you can find a shitload of guys to fill up the local high school gym and prance around in tights.

Sovereigntywillpr
09-03-2009, 02:27 AM
a lot of these guy comr from comptative bckrounds.pluswhat would make your crazy hock dad happier? tights or beating people up...

Juan
09-03-2009, 02:48 AM
a lot of these guy comr from comptative bckrounds.pluswhat would make your crazy hock dad happier? tights or beating people up...

Lay off the crack pipe, bro.

Sixx
09-03-2009, 08:12 AM
Beating people up while wearing thights and having your chest and armpits waxed. Yeah.

Sovereigntywillpr
09-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Hving a Keybord tht doesn't work right has nothing to do with crck...

Ol Dirty Dastard
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
No. I remember when I was a kid wanting to be a wrestler at least, MMA would not have appealed to me. It was the "Larger than life hero/villian" type aspect of being a wrestler that appealed to me. It's not present in MMA.

You've clearly never seen Randy Couture vs. Brock Lesnar

Juan
09-04-2009, 10:14 PM
lol

abec
09-05-2009, 12:43 AM
Beating people up while wearing thights and having your chest and armpits waxed. Yeah.
Yeah because wrestlers dont do that too. Oh wait I get it.

Destor
09-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Are the same people who aspired to be professional wrestlers ten or so years ago now training to be MMA fighters instead? I suppose the same question goes for boxers as well.Yes this is happening A LOT. A lot of wrestlers are doubling doing MMA as well those who find some succes (considering the much higher pay days) are leaving wrestling for MMA.

Probably to some extent, but I doubt it's really much different from any fad or phenomena before it. Even when wrestling's in a slump, you can find a shitload of guys to fill up the local high school gym and prance around in tights.
This is false. It's growing increasingly difficult. You see more guys doing double duty these days than ever in an attempt to fill a card.

Skippord
09-05-2009, 01:21 AM
I want to know more about Destor's wrestling personality so I can go see him perform somewhere

tell me

Destor
09-05-2009, 01:24 AM
I wrestle as a daredevil varmit down on his luck, I go by Gopher Broke.

thecc
09-05-2009, 02:35 AM
Destor, I've always theorized you were actually Tracy Smothers IRL. Confirm or deny?

Skippord
09-05-2009, 02:51 AM
I wrestle as a daredevil varmit down on his luck, I go by Gopher Broke.
I think CHIKARA has a new star

Skippord
09-05-2009, 02:51 AM
Destor is really Chuck Taylor by the way

thecc
09-05-2009, 02:53 AM
If that's the case, Destor why do you hate children and ants so much?

#1-norm-fan
09-05-2009, 03:26 AM

No, see, that's not the "Larger than life comic book" hero vs. villian thing I'm talking about. Brock Lesnar is a dick... in a very real-life way. lol

Big difference between his "character" and, say, Andre The Giant circa 1987.

Verbose Minch
09-05-2009, 11:57 AM

Unfortunately, it culminated in twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching.

Juan
09-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Unfortunately, it culminated in twenty minutes of sweaty dick punching.

I think it's hilarious when wrestling fans use this as an insult toward MMA. Ironic.