PDA

View Full Version : IYO: Unified WWE Heavyweight Championship

GD
09-06-2009, 07:00 AM
High time the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship were merged together to form a solo Unified Heavyweight Championship which would be contested on all the 3 brands giving opportunities to all the new talents and keeping the main event scenario fresh.

Chavo Classic
09-06-2009, 07:11 AM
Still with the Chuck Norris thing, Guru?

In answer to your question: Definitely not. It would mean having to unify the other brand-exclusive titles, and doing it with purpose and meaning. I prefer the division between the brands at the moment. Unlike previous years, there's been a clear distinction between the shows and the wrestlers on each and it's paid off - Smackdown has been terrific and ECW has found it's raison d'etre with the superstar initiative.

GD
09-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Well I really get pissed off when we have 3 World Heavyweight title matches on a single pay per view.

Chavo Classic
09-06-2009, 07:48 AM
Why "pissed off"?

I don't see the harm in having each brand represented by championship, especially now each brand has it's own unique style and feel to it. Smackdown is for wrestling fans and Raw is for fans of sports entertainment, so it's good that each has it's own distinct top tier and figurehead.

I agree that ECW don't necessarily need a championship. However, without it a lot of people wouldn't take ECW seriously.

Pardeep 619
09-06-2009, 07:49 AM
Well I really get pissed off when we have 3 World Heavyweight title matches on a single pay per view.

They should not bother to do that then. There have been PPV's in the past where only one World Title was defended e.g. No Way Out 2003 and Backlash 2003.

Pardeep 619
09-06-2009, 07:52 AM
Getting rid of 2 world titles makes no sense. The company need to distinct the brands as being 3 separate entities (which they have not done well in recent times) and it is far easier to book feuds by having separate world champions on each show. If you don't think so then look back to 2002 as to how awkward it was to book feuds with one Undisputed Champion appearing on 2 shows.

GD
09-06-2009, 08:01 AM
They need to bring back brand exclusive ppvs and shove one or two ECW matches in them.

Nicky Fives
09-06-2009, 10:21 AM
They need to bring back brand exclusive ppvs and shove one or two ECW matches in them.

That;s my choice as well..... then have one PPV where only ECW matches are featured..... we all know how well that went last time.....:shifty:

Stealth-Icon
09-06-2009, 10:58 AM
I am also sick of seeing too many champions and think that there are a couple of ways to do it. If they keep them all and do brand specific PPV's, fine, but ECW doesn't get it's own PPV. They have their title match on either Smackdown or Raw's PPV, but that is the only match they get in a PPV.

What I would rather see is they just keep the WWE belt and have that their main title again (get a new belt for God's sake though). Have the main guys battling for the belt go on either show, but have the next guys in line there also. And if you lose your match against the Champion at the PPV, you don't get a rematch on the next show or PPV. You go back in line and battle up again. This will stop us from seeing the same two people in the main event for 2 or 3 PPV's in a row. If the champ loses the belt on the PPV, he gets his rematch the next week on one of the shows, but not at the PPV. THat is held for the next guy in line. This would keep different people in the title matches more often and if they do it right they can run different angles so the next one is ready to go with the champs. Keep it more multi dimensional than just the same two guys every week.

Keep the Int. and US belts brand specific as well as keep the ECW champ. That belt is about the equivalent as them anyways.

Unify the Divas and Womens belt also or just drop them both...I don't care.

TheFallenOneX
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
How bout we keep the 3 seperate championship belt, but then we create the ULTRA MEGA TRIBRANDED CHAMPIONSHIP you know a belt that Cena/Trips can constantly fued over so other guys on RAW can get a chance at the WWF championship

Emperor Smeat
09-06-2009, 02:45 PM
They tried it originally with the Undisputed Belt in the beginning of the brand split but ended up being too much work since the champion would either be involved in 2 title feuds at once or would cause 1 brand to be waiting while the other brand had their title match. This was also around same time Triple H was in title hog mode so if RAW didn't have the champion, he wasn't going to wait so RAW got their own belt.

GD
09-06-2009, 02:46 PM
That would be super gay.

Verbose Minch
09-06-2009, 02:52 PM
If they're going to ignore brand exclusivity, then why not? At least it'd be interesting. I mean, instead of having Triple H, Cena, Orton and Batista, you can have more variation with Taker, Punk and Edge facing them.

Rammsteinmad
09-06-2009, 03:55 PM
High time the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship were merged together to form a solo Unified Heavyweight Championship which would be contested on all the 3 brands giving opportunities to all the new talents and keeping the main event scenario fresh.

How does this work?

XCaliber
09-06-2009, 04:24 PM
There's no doubt that they need to minimize the number of belts but unifying each brands top title isn't ideal either. We would end up getting a new champion every month like we did shortly after the original draft was done. If anything I think they maybe unify the midcard belt preferrably have the US belt be dropped and have the IC belt defended on all the programs.

thedamndest
09-06-2009, 06:07 PM
The number of belts is fine right now for the number of shows they have and what is being produced on each product. If anything PPV time should increase. It's stayed roughly the same and they've added more and more belts. But I doubt that's a viable solution at this time.

Theo Dious
09-06-2009, 08:12 PM
Nah we definitely should unify the titles so that everyone on this board can piss and moan about how the main event scene is far too small and Triple H holds everyone down and they're sick of the same thing on every show. Let's do that!

The Gold Standard
09-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Keep the 3 world titles. Otherwise there will be many wrestlers not in the ME scene anymore. Which means Punk or Hardy probably would not have gotten in the picture.

GD
09-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Half of the roster has been World Champion.