PDA

View Full Version : Mexican reaction to Rey unmasking

Chavo Classic
09-06-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm led to believe that when a Luchador is unmasked, they lose the right to wear their mask ever again and have to be known as their real name.

Since Rey lost his mask in WCW, and therefore forfeited the right to be Rey Mysterio again, was his decision to wear it again when signing with the WWE frowned upon by Mexican wrestlers and fans? Does anyone know how they reacted to this considering their respect for heritage?

Vastardikai
09-06-2009, 01:30 PM
I know he had to unmask twice: Once in WCW and once in Mexico. He already umasked in WCW at the time. When he had the mask vs. mask match against Psicosis in Mexico, he was more or less booed out of the building for putting the mask back on for that one night.

As of now, I don't have any respect for Rey. I don't know about the Mexican fans.

Leonard Washington
09-06-2009, 02:10 PM
...but Rey still wears the mask for WWE tours of Mexico...

LuigiD
09-06-2009, 07:18 PM
...but Rey still wears the mask for WWE tours of Mexico...

I went to Mexico a while back and saw some shows.
From my understanding, the Mexican people tend to like Mexican wrestling or American wrestling. I was speaking to a couple near me and they told me that typically people who like luchadors don't like American wrestling. I think some of them have a bad view of Mysterio, almost like a corporate sell out who sold out their tradition.
You know what was lame as hell by the way? remember Tough Enough? there was an episode were Mysterio took off his mask for the people training. They said it was a huge honor to do such a thing, blah blah blah, etc. I was like BS..he was in WCW without his mask for the longest time.

Chavo Classic
09-08-2009, 06:19 PM
You know what was lame as hell by the way? remember Tough Enough? there was an episode were Mysterio took off his mask for the people training. They said it was a huge honor to do such a thing, blah blah blah, etc. I was like BS..he was in WCW without his mask for the longest time.

Seems like Mysterio likes to pick and choose when his heritage means something. He is a huge corporate sell-out though, but who wouldn't be when Bischoff was offering more money than he'd ever likely to see again when the proposed mask angle was touted and a big push after promised?

Kami Raki
09-08-2009, 08:50 PM
Seems like Mysterio likes to pick and choose when his heritage means something. He is a huge corporate sell-out though, but who wouldn't be when Bischoff was offering more money than he'd ever likely to see again when the proposed mask angle was touted and a big push after promised?
Nash is the one that booked him being unmasked. Mysterio wasn't happy about it. Also, he isn't a sellout. Money is Money IMO.

LuigiD
09-08-2009, 10:45 PM
Nash is the one that booked him being unmasked. Mysterio wasn't happy about it. Also, he isn't a sellout. Money is Money IMO.

Well..of course..money is money..but how far does one go?
the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Chavo Classic
09-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Also, he isn't a sellout. Money is Money IMO.

Yeah, he is.

This whole thread was posted for me to investigate how pissed Mexicans were at Mysterio for turning his back on the tradition by putting the mask back on under the request of the American promoters who throw money at him.

weather vane
09-09-2009, 08:38 PM
hahaha

Sixx
09-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Doesn't the "Mysterio" part of his name make no sense anymore?

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 01:47 AM
Well..of course..money is money..but how far does one go?
the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Not when one wants to provide a good life for his family. You guys seem to be forgetting that he has one of those, with all this sellout nonsense.

Beauser
09-16-2009, 06:06 PM
The luchadors have a strong sense of pride. I'm not really sure how I feel about the whole masked, unmasked, masked again scenario. And, for Rey, who likes to be about his heritage, its a load of crap for him to do this.

He's an ugly little bastard without his mask.

Theo Dious
09-16-2009, 10:08 PM
I understand that dozens of fans were so outraged they refused to illegally enter the USA.

pooperscooper
09-21-2009, 06:10 PM
wasn't it vince who wanted rey to put the mask back on since he didn't think he would get over otherwise,

i mean... the dude does look like a 12 year old without the mask

Sixx
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM
A tattooed 12 year old, for that matter.

alvarado52
09-22-2009, 04:43 AM
As a mexican, i can vouche that i was stunned when he unmasked himself. I was like 'WTF! MYSTERIO'S A 12 YEAR OLD BOY!', and quickly tore all the posters off my wall.