PDA

View Full Version : Games That Should Go Back To Their Roots

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-09-2009, 07:05 AM
Viewing the thread on the new 2D Sonic game, reminded me how games sometimes evolve too far, and need to get back to what made them work in the first place.

Here are my nominations:

SONIC: It's about time. Ever since they first made the move to 3D, it's been a slippery slope.

RESIDENT EVIL: The fact that the last two games are even called "Resident Evil" offends me greatly. Seems like they just wanted to use an existing name to push their new brand of horror game.

ROLLER COASTER TYCOON: Everyone knows that this series peaked at RCT2. It's impossible to get the same level of detail with the 3D engine. It just turns into a big shiny mess.

The Jayman
09-09-2009, 11:36 AM
I nominate Mortal Kombat. The original 2D fighter was the shit and played MK2 for hours upon hours. I did like MK3 and UMK3 and played a little MK Trilogy. After that it went 3D and I lost interest. Don't get me wrong I did like MK Deception and Armageddon but mostly for the Konquest mode and the CAF (in Armageddon). Imo the last great MK game was MK2

Splaya
09-09-2009, 12:02 PM
I nominate Final Fantasy. Cannot stand the other shit, love the ATB

Boomer
09-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Viewing the thread on the new 2D Sonic game, reminded me how games sometimes evolve too far, and need to get back to what made them work in the first place.

Here are my nominations:

SONIC: It's about time. Ever since they first made the move to 3D, it's been a slippery slope.

RESIDENT EVIL: The fact that the last two games are even called "Resident Evil" offends me greatly. Seems like they just wanted to use an existing name to push their new brand of horror game.

ROLLER COASTER TYCOON: Everyone knows that this series peaked at RCT2. It's impossible to get the same level of detail with the 3D engine. It just turns into a big shiny mess.

I would agree with Resident Evil 5, but Resident Evil 4 struck me very much as a step forward for the series. RE5 felt like a big-budget rehash of RE4.

Playing Code Veronica made it very evident to me that the series needed a change in control scheme, and 4 did an admirable job in doing so.

I do still prefer the old ones, though. But that's probably nostalgia talking.

Kalyx triaD
09-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Tekken: Screw this 10hit juggle shit.

Boomer
09-09-2009, 10:29 PM
And honestly for me, the FPS genre in general needs a huge fucking reboot. TF2 is about the only FPS I feel like playing anymore. Even L4D, which I originally adored, quickly lost interest from me. COD4 might be the only other series that has just obviously reeked of quality in the past few years.

Dunno what they'd do though. I hope not go back to their roots...I rather like strafing.

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 02:02 AM
Tekken: Screw this 10hit juggle shit.

Most people I play with never bother to try them. Tekken can be pretty strategic and result in tense stand offs round here.

The Mask
09-10-2009, 02:05 AM
what are mario games like these days? mario 64 was good but the 2d ones were great too. i think there needs to be a shitload more 2d games really, they were so much more addictive back in the day.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2009, 02:06 AM
There's very little you can tell me about Tekken, but trust me - the game is dependent on long juggle strings. That's not fun. That's not cool. To survive at an advanced level you must adapt and integrate such tactics. Me and my guys don't do long juggles either, but challengers abroad will not share those honor rules.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:12 AM
METROID

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 02:14 AM
what are mario games like these days? mario 64 was good but the 2d ones were great too. i think there needs to be a shitload more 2d games really, they were so much more addictive back in the day.
The last one was basically Mario 64 except in space. They still make the 2D ones too, as they have Super Mario Bros Wii coming soon, which will actually have 4 people playing at the same time. They also have Mario *insert sport here* games, Mario Party games, and a bunch of Mario RPGs. Oh and super Smash Bros, which is like the Mortal Kombat of Nintendo games.
There's very little you can tell me about Tekken, but trust me - the game is dependent on long juggle strings. That's not fun. That's not cool. To survive at an advanced level you must adapt and integrate such tactics. Me and my guys don't do long juggles either, but challengers abroad will not share those honor rules.
Sad, but true. Can't ever play Tekken in the arcades because of this. Not gonna lie tho, I bust out "big" combos from time to time (6 hits max, and usually chains of moves that aren't meant to be strung together).

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:15 AM

Not really any cheaper than SFIV's ultras tbh.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2009, 02:22 AM
NO. Street Fighter 4's Ultras are far less annoying than Tekken's juggles. Are you crazy?!

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Some ultras are ridiculous. Most are fine tho.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:26 AM
The 10 hit juggles aren't exactly a cakewalk to perform.

You want to talk annoying in tekken? How about a really good king player.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:28 AM
also, just in case you missed it,

METROID

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 02:29 AM
Shadow Complex filled that void nicely, don't you think?

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:33 AM
Shadow Complex is very good, but you and I know, that it's not the same as a new 2-D metroid. Come on.

Shadow Complex is just temporary relief for 2-d metroid withdrawl.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2009, 02:45 AM
The 10 hit juggles aren't exactly a cakewalk to perform.

You want to talk annoying in tekken? How about a really good king player.

King's are obvious, sort of like Zangief's. You know what they want, react accordingly. Dragonuv(SP) is a bitch however.

Now I feel like like talking/playing fighting games. Had a great MvC2 session just today. I am so tourny ready. Gonna train over the weekend as well. Cammy is so fucking boss.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Completely unrelated, but I just wanted to say condemned is way scarier than any other survival horror game. Just got both games for 15 bucks.

Verbose Minch
09-10-2009, 03:17 AM
I nominate Mortal Kombat. The original 2D fighter was the shit and played MK2 for hours upon hours. I did like MK3 and UMK3 and played a little MK Trilogy. After that it went 3D and I lost interest. Don't get me wrong I did like MK Deception and Armageddon but mostly for the Konquest mode and the CAF (in Armageddon). Imo the last great MK game was MK2

The problem with that is that even if they went 2D again, the games would still be shitty. They're bad fighting games that were only good because of OMG VIOLENCE AND BLOOD.

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 03:20 AM
Yup. No real merit to them nowadays.

They should just make MK a Kongquest type game from now on. Forget the fighting game and just make it story mode of Armageddon with several playable people.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2009, 03:39 AM
How about let another studio get at it?

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Yup. No real merit to them nowadays.

They should just make MK a Kongquest type game from now on. Forget the fighting game and just make it story mode of Armageddon with several playable people.

Seriously. The one thing MK has over its competitors is a much better mythology, and more intrigueing characters.

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 03:45 AM
How about let another studio get at it?

They've done all they can (Kan?) as a fighting game. Their only big thing now is the Konquest mode they had in Deception and Armageddon.

Kalyx triaD
09-10-2009, 04:19 AM
They ain't do shit as a fighting game.

G
09-10-2009, 08:52 AM
I enjoyed Sub Zero Mythologies. This would be awesome

http://www.vgboxart.com/boxes/360/16960_mortal_kombat_mythologies_sub_zero-v3.png

BigDaddyCool
09-10-2009, 10:12 AM
The Sim series...i.e. Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Earph, and so on. The Sims is gay. Why do I want to raise a computer family instead of trying to find a real person and raise a real family?

Savio
09-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Sonic should have never been 3D

Xero
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
The Sim series...i.e. Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Earph, and so on. The Sims is gay. Why do I want to raise a computer family instead of trying to find a real person and raise a real family?

Real people can get out of a pool when there's no ladder.

BigDaddyCool
09-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Real people can get out of a pool when there's no ladder.

I have a hard time :'(

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I tried the sims once, and it was mind-numbingly boring. Don't "get it".

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Also, ninja gaiden.

I want a new 2-d ninja gaiden.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Do the 3-d games even aknowledge the stories of the 2-d ones at all?

BigDaddyCool
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM

I played the Sims for a while then I realized I'm to worried about getting my guy dates than me dates. I quit playing after that.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Also, I feel like the Jaquio is the most overlooked videogame villain ever.

Fignuts
09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Yeah, sim city is awesome tho. Havn't played anything past 2000 however.

BigDaddyCool
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
They started to get a little to complicated...but they were still fun.

OssMan
09-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Jaquio is a fucking piece of shit. I hate him

Funky Fly
09-10-2009, 03:49 PM

Word.

Savio
09-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Zelda might i dunno

Emperor Smeat
09-11-2009, 02:31 PM

I think for Ninja Gaiden the answer is no but Wikipedia is saying both games are prequels of the NES series. The creator of the new series didn't explicitly say they are prequels but just put them before the NES series for sake of a storyline.

For something like Zelda or Mortal Kombat then yes.

Fignuts
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I was only asking about Ninja Gaiden. Fucking zelda has no chronology.

Boomer
09-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Ninja Gaiden II, like my RE5 discussion, felt like a straight HD rehash of NG to me. I haven't played it, but watching my brother play through most of it did not make me feel like it was worth playing.

Fignuts
09-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah it got sub-par reviews, because it brought almost nothing new to the table.

Boomer
09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
I really enjoyed the original (well...Ninja Gaiden Black wasn't the original, but I digress). It completely lacks in story, but completely makes up for it in gameplay and difficulty. The fact that NGII had an even worse storyline is saying something.