PDA

View Full Version : Intercontinental History

Sovereigntywillpr
10-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I would love to see the IC belt be what it once was, but I guess that's what the world title is for (or what ever one is on smackdown, I guess)

But They should boast more about the history, talk about how it was once the North American Belt and was "merged" with the south american belt in 1979-80...

Also talk about how in 2002 it was Unified with the European Championship to add to it, Davey Boy Smith, HBK, that title has history too.

heck, I'm watching Global Impact that I taped and why not make that go up against a major Japanese title to say it covers asia too...rather it's a treal title from japan or just made up.

I Really think the IC champ should feud with the ECW champion at some point with the IC champion going over, make the titles look pretty equal but make the IC look good and come out on top.

ECW might as well go back to being called Eastern Championship wrestling... that all the title represents, the north-east of the USA as the IC is supposed to be the North/South American and Euro titles (along with hardcore and a few others I think)

while we are at it debut the next good FCW wrestler as FCW Champion(one who is already showing promise) and make him feud for either the US, ECW or IC belt.

thecc
10-10-2009, 02:59 PM
no

The Jayman
10-10-2009, 03:16 PM
there's nothing wrong with the IC title picture imo

Waylander
10-10-2009, 03:48 PM
As long as they don't have another 'stranger' from the crowd win it and keep going the way they are I think the IC title will be 'fixed' in the long run. I've complained about it a lot in the past myself but I have to say I think they're trying this time.

Perry Saturn
10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont think the IC title is as prestigious as it used to be because if you remember when curt henning was inducted to the hof they said it was just as important the world title

Afterlife
10-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I hate this thread.

thedamndest
10-10-2009, 04:15 PM
The Intercontinental title is the best booked title in the company and has been for quite some time. It's prestige is greater than that of every title in the company except the WWE Championship, and I can't remember the last WWE Championship match worth the price of admission (probably when the belt was on Smackdown).

As for all that other stuff, that's the kind of thing you put on a the History of the Intercontinental Championship, available at WWESHOP.com.

Your ECW suggestions would not make sense to anyone in the current demographic of the WWE, probably because they would not have been born when ECW was Eastern Championship Wrestling.

No.

Sovereigntywillpr
10-10-2009, 04:44 PM
I know they wouldn't change it from Exteme back to Eastern, I'm just saying that's all ECW pretty much represents now...you graduate from FCW and move on up east in ECW

Theo Dious
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
2009 has been a good year for the IC title. It's one big black mark has been the absolutely shitty match it suffered at Wrestlemania, but beside that, you've had great matches and contention in the likes of Regal, JBL, and Morrison, and very honestly, IC title competition is where I can actually stand Mysterio.

Mr. Nerfect
10-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I have to agree that the Intercontinental Title is more prestigious now than it's been in a long, long time.

Chavo Classic
10-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Agreed. Thanks to the efforts of Jericho and Mysterio earlier this year, and continued with the good work of Ziggler and Morrison, the IC means a lot more now than in recent memory.

Afterlife
10-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Basically, it looks good thanks to SmackDown!.

The Jayman
10-11-2009, 05:15 PM
exactly

Gertner
10-12-2009, 01:34 AM
Sovereigntywillpr is probably the worst poster in TPWW and that's saying alot!

CWK
10-12-2009, 03:17 AM
I miss the old days of the I.C. belt. First of all the I.C. belt that guys like Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Mr. Perfect wore was one of the best looking belts ever. I ABSOLUTELY HATE the current intercontinental belt.

The I.C. belt at one time meant as much if not more than the WWE title. Maybe because people were sick of seeing Hogan with the WWE title.

Anybody Thrilla
10-12-2009, 10:35 PM
Wrestlemania 6 did wonders for the IC title.

Mr. Nerfect
10-12-2009, 11:05 PM
One thing I do wish Jim Ross & Todd Grisham would bring up occasionally, is that the IC Title is one of only three championships defended in the main event of WrestleMania.

Phenomenal 1
10-14-2009, 10:23 AM
agreed that the IC Title prestige and book has improved since WM this year...the problem that I see is that not "enough" guys are getting shots at the title....no offense but how many more times can Dolph Ziggler be the #1 contender.....why not have Morrison vs Finlay, Morrison vs R Truth, Morrison vs Matt Hardy, Morrison vs Drew McIntyre, Morrison vs one of Cryme Tyme, Morrison vs DH Smith/Tyson Kidd....etc etc...the problem is the same champion faces off against the same #1 contender over and over again....at least with the US Title you get to see different bookings, I saw Kofi defend the title against Swagger, MVP, The Miz, Carlito, and Primo.....thats 5 different guys over a period of time getting shots at the title...not Dolph Ziggler getting 5-6 matches in a row since the Great American Bash....just mix up the challengers and give some of the fresh mid card guys a shot at the title....it would be a could way to test how over they can get....cause lets face it, the upper tier of the roster isn't getting any younger and they aren't finding guys quick enough that could get over and the problem is that they have to book people as being over and the fans either don't get it or reject it....WWE needs to make some booking shifts and make it quick in my opinion over the next 9-12 months...

Mr. Nerfect
10-16-2009, 07:52 AM
I hope they do give Rey Mysterio his rematch against John Morrison. There is no reason why that match should not rock our television sets again.

Anybody Thrilla
10-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Rey is already on to bigger things, apparently.

Question...how does a wellness policy violation result in not only a Unified tag title shot, but a World Heavyweight title shot immediately thereafter?

Mr. Nerfect
10-16-2009, 10:34 PM
Rey is already on to bigger things, apparently.

Question...how does a wellness policy violation result in not only a Unified tag title shot, but a World Heavyweight title shot immediately thereafter?

My guess is that Rey's complaints about his suspension were correct, and that the WWE actually did suspend him wrongly, or something. There's definitely something fishy about it, as Rey looks more important as a star now than he has since he was previously World Heavyweight Champion.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again -- while I'm not going to predict him to win, if Rey Mysterio does win the World Heavyweight Title at Bragging Rights, I will not be surprised.