PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to XBox Live through different WiFi networks

James Steele
10-12-2009, 11:23 AM
I am considering purchasing a XBox 360 with my next paycheque, and I know that they sell a $100 wireless network adapter but I want to know if any of you have used it and had success/problems connecting to either a neighbor's wifi or university wifi in dorms/apartments etc before I spend 100 bucks on the fucking thing. The main reason I am getting a 360 over a PS3 is because of my friends who have moved off and have a 360 so I'd like to play online with them and bullshit around. Also, is the elite that much better than the Pro or will the Pro take care of everything I'll need HDD wise (I don't use Netflix or anything like that.).

Kane Knight
10-12-2009, 11:30 AM
You can get a normal Wifi adapter and use it as a bridge. Google it for more details. Saves you money. As far as problems connecting, I've not done it with a 360, but if you're in a dorm, make sure they don't require a password or some sort of agreement screen, etc., and otherwise, a neighbour's wifi will work if unrestricted. When I'm out and about, my notebook steals wifi frequently.

James Steele
10-12-2009, 12:14 PM
I have a Belkin N USB WiFi Adapter that I use on my PC:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/product/250/UV/224078.jpg

I'll look up and see if I can just use this on the 360, but I am just trying to see what pros/cons others have had with this stuff. Thanks for your help KK.

Hanso Amore
10-12-2009, 12:20 PM
I sue the 360 adapter with my Linksys wireless router and it works great

Kane Knight
10-12-2009, 03:52 PM
Why would you sue it, Hanso? Did it block your access to chickswithdicks.com?

Vietnamese Crippler
10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
If you want to save money, a Pro is the way to go. Unless you plan on downloading a lot of DLC (i.e. Rockband, Guitar Hero, etc.) or you have a lot of games that you might install to the hard drive then you might want to spend a little extra for the Elite for its 120GB HDD.

As for the wifi, I've never had a problem with my official Microsoft one. And check ebay for prices; I got mine from there for $40.

alvarado52
10-12-2009, 03:56 PM
I dont think any usb network adapter works with the 360. If i were you, id hold off till they release the N adapter. I have the G adapter and it works great, but if its so close to being released, why not get the newest tech for the same price. Connection wise, ive never had a problem with my adapter dropping signal or streaming music. Video is a different story, which is another reason i say you should just hold off till the N is released.

As for the model, i'd say go with the elite, its $50 more (or maybe even less if you shop around) and youll get twice the space. You'll find yourself filling up 20gb or 60gb pretty quickly, once you begin to install your games either selectively or otherwise.

Hanso Amore
10-12-2009, 04:47 PM
Why would you sue it, Hanso? Did it block your access to chickswithdicks.com?

It blocked the webcam i have in your toilet.

James Steele
10-12-2009, 05:24 PM
It blocked the webcam i have in your toilet.

www.uglychickwithadick.net