PDA

View Full Version : why is Santino good?

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:34 AM
explain it to me

Juan
10-15-2009, 02:38 AM
he has his moments. but it seems they take the easy way out in trying to make him funny, instead of just letting him be his funny self

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:39 AM
like he does say funny stuff every now and again, but most of it's just annoying stereotype mispronunciation gags

Juan
10-15-2009, 02:40 AM
it's like they realized what was funny about him and decided to make him do it over and over instead of letting him really develop

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:46 AM
I used to not hate him entirely

now he's on all the time it seems like and it's irritating

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:47 AM
Compared to Bret though... I mean if we were doing a poll about who has the best mic skills, Jericho, The Rock, and Santino would be the only 3 in the HOF.

also this is why I made this thread

Juan
10-15-2009, 02:50 AM
lol i noticed that. i think Ermaximus may have gotten ahead of himself.

what's crazy is that he had to edit that post because he didn't include the Rock :|

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:52 AM
just puzzled me a bit as to why you'd put Santino with those two

Skippord
10-15-2009, 02:53 AM
and by a bit I mean a lot

The Ravishing One
10-15-2009, 03:02 AM
Ermaximus is just plain crazy. There's loads more people worthy of a mention ahead of Santino.

The Ravishing One
10-15-2009, 03:04 AM
Also, i agree thats he's getting abit stale now. He needs new material - although i doubt its his fault.

Dave Youell
10-15-2009, 03:27 AM
Simple:

UNLEASH THE HONKYMETER!

--

That was enough for me to love him

Juan
10-15-2009, 03:34 AM
that was pretty hilarious. i think they ended the whole Santino/Beth/Rosa thing way too early

Indifferent Clox
10-15-2009, 03:36 AM
Santino is amazing because he is hilarious

Skippord
10-15-2009, 03:45 AM
he's not hilarious though, he's kinda funny at best

Lux
10-15-2009, 04:31 AM
I agree.

he needs new material or I don't think I'll bother having the tv on during his airtime.

Indifferent Clox
10-15-2009, 04:38 AM
I agree that he isn't as funny as he use to be.

Mr. Nerfect
10-15-2009, 04:49 AM
The WWE sort of jumped on him, and he's often working with a lot of ridiculous stuff. Considering how well Santino does with it, though, he's a genuine comedic talent. I think I first decided I wanted to like the guy when he almost made Vince crack up in his serious debut promo. "Do you speak English, Santino?" "...Si! Si!"

What I love about the mispronunciation gags is that Santino always does something -- an action, or throw in an extra word or something -- that rises it about stupidity.

Considering that he is a pretty good ring talent, I hope that he gets somewhere in this business.

Indifferent Clox
10-15-2009, 04:53 AM
yeah his improv skills are pretty awesome

DAMN iNATOR
10-15-2009, 05:48 AM
<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzFYfHsYj24&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xzFYfHsYj24&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Great bit at the end of a diva's match, where Santino tells King he thinks one of the teams was cheating, and then proceeds to grab his soda and throw it in his face before slinking off with King's "delicious Subway sandwich"...I believe it may have been during Santino and King's brief feud, or used as build-up to it.

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUY0hQYfxCE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UUY0hQYfxCE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Loved that shit, too...Santino rapping in protest to Stephanie about his "I.C. title" as he calls it...

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxcvNou4Q0I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CxcvNou4Q0I&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Now you may wonder why that last one is necessary. Well, simply put, Santino's rap skills are not nearly shown off as long and as well as they could be in the 2nd vid, so there's another almost 3 minutes worth.

Lux
10-15-2009, 06:10 AM
"take that william regal, you're not even in a resturant but.. you got served"

ok, see, that shit needs to be on more. :lol:

Evil Vito
10-15-2009, 07:49 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Posted it in the battle royal thread but it's only appropriate to go here as well:</font>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_Pt5Zo4ycE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_Pt5Zo4ycE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Nerfect
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM
I loved Santino rapping on William Regal. Regal's reaction is fucking priceless -- as are all Regal's reactions. I heard about that Battle Royal clip, but I never actually watched it until now. Awesome. :heart:

I do agree that Santino needs to go somewhere, though. He needs to develop some in-ring crediblity. He's got the wrestling ability, and he's got the entertainment thing completely down. It's time to put the package together.

Executioner
10-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Simple:

UNLEASH THE HONKYMETER!

--

That was enough for me to love him

DING!

Cuzziebro
10-15-2009, 09:19 AM
I swear everyone now and then when Satino actually has a match, he shows little bits of brilliance and almost a push. He would be getting beaten badly, then all of a sudden Santino will pull out and move and surprise himself. The WWE should go with this more, build him up as a legitimate threat to the United States title. He could still keep his 'funny' promos but make him a strong credible in ring performer aswell.

LuigiD
10-15-2009, 09:48 AM
I think Santino is hysterical. I always laugh at his segments.
What others have said though..I would like to see him get a push to develop his in-ring talent. Every time I see him wrestle, he just gets destroyed.

Ermaximus
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Come on guys, how could you not love Santino's take on Rey Mysterio's theme music? That was priceless. "You sir are nota da Batman! I'm Rey Mastrio! Boo yaka boo yaka!"

jskinnyg
10-15-2009, 10:37 AM
The funniest thing in a LONG time in the WWE... But I agree with everyone else above... Where is the wrestling ability... He's def got some... But he is NEVER in the ring on TV...

I thought he was just injured there for a while and they kept using him because the crowds love his comedy but... Come on Vinny, ya got to develop him in the ring more... I got my Ferrari red shirt... i want more Santino... One of the reasons i continue to watch RAW every week...

Mr. Nerfect
10-15-2009, 11:09 AM
I swear everyone now and then when Satino actually has a match, he shows little bits of brilliance and almost a push. He would be getting beaten badly, then all of a sudden Santino will pull out and move and surprise himself. The WWE should go with this more, build him up as a legitimate threat to the United States title. He could still keep his 'funny' promos but make him a strong credible in ring performer aswell.

He's definitely got the skill. It's always surprising just how athletic the guy is because of the character he plays. All they need to do is have a legend appear in a backstage segment with Santino, and have them offer to "train" Santino. Someone with Marella's sort of style would work. I actually think Ricky Steamboat or Dean Malenko would be good choices.

Then have Santino start kicking ass.

jskinnyg
10-15-2009, 11:33 AM
He's definitely got the skill. It's always surprising just how athletic the guy is because of the character he plays. All they need to do is have a legend appear in a backstage segment with Santino, and have them offer to "train" Santino. Someone with Marella's sort of style would work. I actually think Ricky Steamboat or Dean Malenko would be good choices.

Then have Santino start kicking ass.

NOW THAT IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT...

ron the dial
10-15-2009, 11:34 AM
lol

Kane Knight
10-15-2009, 11:48 AM
like he does say funny stuff every now and again, but most of it's just annoying stereotype mispronunciation gags

Yes, but they're brilliant and innovative.

The Ravishing One
10-15-2009, 12:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Posted it in the battle royal thread but it's only appropriate to go here as well:</font>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_Pt5Zo4ycE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M_Pt5Zo4ycE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:rofl::rofl:

DAMN iNATOR
10-15-2009, 07:34 PM
He's funny and all, but I can't help but think that he'll never make it past mid-card hell where he gets used as fodder for comedy angles, and someday way down the line, he may have an outside shot at the US or IC title again, but I think that will probably be where he would peak, if he hasn't already.

Mr. Nerfect
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
He's funny and all, but I can't help but think that he'll never make it past mid-card hell where he gets used as fodder for comedy angles, and someday way down the line, he may have an outside shot at the US or IC title again, but I think that will probably be where he would peak, if he hasn't already.

I think the dude has got a better chance at the IC/US Title than he ever really did.

Mr. Nerfect
10-15-2009, 07:46 PM
Yes, but they're brilliant and innovative.

Just like KK's sarcasm...

Gertner
10-15-2009, 07:53 PM

Let's face it. Santino's comedy is what's keeping him in the WWE. He's on RAW every week, usually in the most entertaining part when the Guest Hosts are featured, doesn't have to take alot of bumps since his matches are mostly comedy matches, and is pretty over. Santino has it pretty good.

parkmania
10-15-2009, 08:07 PM
The best so far was when he couldn't pronounce Ben Roethlisberger's name until 'Swog slapped him.

Mr. C
11-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Make Santino Marella wrestle in no shoes and give him a choke as a finisher.

Heyman
11-26-2009, 11:20 PM

Santino, like so many faces of yester-year, was awesome as a heel but just mediocre as a face.

This has been one of the MAJOR achilles heels for the WWE. They do a tremendous job of pushing heels but instead of building on that, they decide to take any semblance of a face pop (i.e. the casual fan cheering the awesomeness of said heel character), and turn them face.

Gertner
11-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Heel Santino was pretty fucking hilarious. Definitley better than face Santino.

Funky Fly
11-26-2009, 11:27 PM
His backstage stuff is overdone and overstretched. He needs new material there.

In ring, he is golden. His antics are priceless (the snake jab? pure ROFL) and he's skilled (both comedically and physically) enough to be able to do "surprised by his own strength" bit without it seeming forced.

RatedGSuperstar
11-27-2009, 01:13 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUZoMkZra1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FUZoMkZra1A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

SANTINO!
Santana?
SANTINO!
Sandusky?

ImpactPlayer365
11-27-2009, 01:47 AM
Santino is hilarious...and he's young. He'll be a bigger player as time goes on.

Mr. Nerfect
11-27-2009, 10:37 PM
I've always wanted to see Santino Marella sneak out of the ring during a big Battle Royal, and then sneak back in at the end and win it all. The guy has a lot of in-ring talent, actually, so I wish he was treated a bit more seriously.

I still like to compare my ideal vision for him to an early Kurt Angle. A bit of a goof outside the ring, but inside, he brings the goods.

Fignuts
11-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Santino is the only wrestler whose humor doesn't seem forced, or scripted. Half the time, I can't tell if what he says is written for him, or if he just improved it on the spot.

Everyone else just seems like they are trying too hard, where as santino sounds natural.

Fignuts
11-28-2009, 01:32 AM
I havn't seen any of his face stuff tho, so whatever, that might suck. Definitely made to be a heel.

jerichoholicninja
11-28-2009, 02:27 AM
He's probably got more charisma while wrestling than any one else not name Chris Jericho.

Nark Order
11-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Well, that's the thing. Santino is good. He definitely isn't one of the greatest mic men of all time. I mean, what? I think wrestling hasn't been up to par for several years so fans latch onto the guy that stands out a bit in comparison to the rest of the mediocre crap. WWE then realizes the appeal and oversells the shit out of the guy to the point where it's impossible to enjoy anymore.

Droford
11-28-2009, 02:44 AM
Santino would have been jobless 5 months ago if it werent for them needing his comedy as a foil to the celebrity GM each week.

I wish they would fire him already.

Nark Order
11-28-2009, 02:48 AM
Come on guys, how could you not love Santino's take on Rey Mysterio's theme music? That was priceless. "You sir are nota da Batman! I'm Rey Mastrio! Boo yaka boo yaka!"

I think it's enjoyable but to say he's one of the greatest mic men ever is overselling him a bit.

Go watch some old tapes of Macho, Jake, Honky, Buddy Rose, Dusty,
Rude, Foley, Eddie, Jericho, Angle, Rock, Austin, Nash, Hayes, Flair, and even Bret then get back to us.

Theo Dious
11-28-2009, 06:35 AM
I think it's enjoyable but to say he's one of the greatest mic men ever is overselling him a bit.

Go watch some old tapes of Macho, Jake, Honky, Buddy Rose, Dusty,
Rude, Foley, Eddie, Jericho, Angle, Rock, Austin, Nash, Hayes, Flair, and even Bret then get back to us.

Even if you put him at the end of that list, that's still a small crowd out of an awful lot of guys over the years.

Santino may not be the greatest ever but he's one of the most refreshing mic guys to hit the scene in the past few years. He's possessed of a natural charisma and above averate wrestling ability and has a lot to give to WWE and its fans.

Nark Order
11-28-2009, 11:12 AM
I equate it to what they did to Cena actually. Alot of people don't see John Cena as a great mic guy but when he was doing his own stuff week after week, his mic work was all anybody talked about. Now that WWE writes his stuff, it comes across pretty awful most of the time. Same with Santino. It's hard to thrive when you're saying things that you can't relate with that's just not you. Promo writing is the worst thing to happen to prowrestling ever.

Well, obviously I didn't list everyone because I was pretty tired. If you notice, I left off Savage who is, in my opinion, the greatest mic man of all time. Others not listed include Perfect, Trips, Michaels, Hall, Vince, Goldust, Piper, Lou, Heenan, Shane Douglas, Billy Graham, Governor of Minnesota, Jarrett... you get the picture. Lots more. And I personally wouldn't add Santino onto that list yet. He's good but he's oversold by the IWC and he's shoved down people's throats too much by WWE. Another example of them seeing a great thing unfolding naturally so they ruin it via ridiculous storylines and over exposure.

Vastardikai
11-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Don't forget the guy who slapped Santino around.

Swiss Ultimate
11-28-2009, 02:12 PM
explain it to me

He makes me smile on occasion.

Theo Dious
11-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Savage who is, in my opinion, the greatest mic man of all time

:wtf:

Mr. Nerfect
11-29-2009, 12:49 AM
I would love to see Santino Marella feud with Jack Swagger. I do not even know why.