PDA

View Full Version : Austin finished with WWE?

c4g2
04-07-2004, 09:53 AM
From tpww.net news

Breaking News: Steve Austin Finished With WWE?
By Chris Walters on April 7, 2004 at 12:56 AM EST

It's looking more and more likely that Steve Austin may once again be finished working with Vince McMahon and WWE.

According to one report, Austin and his attorney were in the middle of contract renegotiations when on Friday, Austin's lawyer tried playing hardball and McMahon resisted.

Austin couldn't have picked a worse time to be problematic to Vince, even if it isn't interpreted as such to others, but with the domestic abuse stuff going on, WWE is said to be extremely upset with Austin over the matter, especially at this crucial time.

"Stone Cold" was absent on RAW on Monday despite the fact that the show was in his hometown of Texas. We'll keep you updated on any progress in this story.

------------------------------

Well if he goes... :wave:
If he stays... :rant:

Paranoid Rattlesnake
04-07-2004, 10:03 AM
pardon me if I don't run off and cry

Shaggy
04-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Well I guess WWE will be with out Austin. I dont really think he will be around much longer. He only shows up for like 5 min every show. Its not really worth it.

SuperSlim
04-07-2004, 10:39 AM
well if Austin leaves... ah well
if he stays... ah well

The CyNick
04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
I like the guy, but everyone has a shelf life, his is up. He cant work, so he serves no purpose, except taking up TV time which could be used more effectively.

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-07-2004, 02:52 PM
I def like having him around, and would like him to return to the ring for a final run in the near future, but its absurd of him and his agent to play hardball when he isn't an active wrestler or important part of the companys storylines and plans technically.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

John la Rock
04-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Austin's time is way passed. He's pretty much useless now.

Funky Fly
04-07-2004, 03:23 PM
I like the guy, but everyone has a shelf life, his is up. He cant work, so he serves no purpose, except taking up TV time which could be used more effectively.
With him gone, mid carders like La Resistance won't have months of poorly built up credibility shot to heel in a 30 second squash by quadriplegic wannabe.

Sephiroth
04-07-2004, 03:50 PM
It's good that he is finally going, Now the youngsters can get to the top, or maybe a few new guys can get to the top :yes:

PureHatred
04-07-2004, 04:05 PM
He's basically a secondary character now. And because of his character, and the fact that he doesn't wrestle much, he can really only get himself over. It's weird to think about Raw w/o Stone Cold, but there's really no reason to have him on TV right now.

Tiken
04-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye!

Savio
04-07-2004, 05:28 PM
I would like him to return to the ring for a final run

VonErich Lives
04-07-2004, 05:50 PM
just reading on pwtorch.com

there reporting the contract hold up is over outside projects. Austin wants to be able to negotiate any non-wwe projects on his own, and Vince wants a say/cut.

tucsonspeed6
04-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Honestly, I don't hate the guy. I understand where everyone is coming from saying that he held down up and coming heels, but what else is the guy supposed to do? They can't go anywhere with his character, he can't wrestle, and even though his mic skills are pretty good, there are better guys out there...so they send him out on his go-cart or whatever the hell he decides to drive and he runs a few laps around the ring to get the people to cheer, stuns a few people to get a bigger cheer, guzzles some beer and leaves. When he was healthier, he was a damn good worker. He worked his ass off in every match, but that was then. I don't think he cares about holding the little guys down. HHH does enough of that for the both of them and he still needs to because he's still a wrestler. The last time Austing was abusive, it was because he was having major problems with the fact that he couldn't wrestle anymore. This time, I think it's because he knows he's out the door. I doubt that he could have postponed it any by holding down the midcard heels, either. He had Goldberg, HBK, HHH and all of the other main eventers to push him out of the limelight (which as far as I'm concerned, he was long before any of this happened) The whole story is sad and drawn out....Point is, when he left the last time, he should have done it the proper way, said his goodbyes to the croud, and lived on as a wrestling great in everyone's memory. Instead, we'll all remember his last appearance as the time he rode around the ring on his bigwheel...

Rob
04-07-2004, 06:17 PM
He can't wrestle so who cares? Let him get on with his life.

Fox
04-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Oh no! Now we can't see Austin bury young talent every Monday night.

:roll:

Bye Bye Austin. :foc:

VonErich Lives
04-07-2004, 09:38 PM
He can't wrestle so who cares? Let him get on with his life.

Do you think non-wwe projects with Austin would draw as much as if he was still w/ the WWE?

I think that's vince point, say what you want, but all WWE stars who have had non-wwe success has some buildup or promotion on TV.

Given, at this point SCSA is pretty well know, and his projects would have their own promotion... but who owns the rights to the name?

thuganomicalcrippler
04-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Honestly, I don't hate the guy. I understand where everyone is coming from saying that he held down up and coming heels, but what else is the guy supposed to do? They can't go anywhere with his character, he can't wrestle, and even though his mic skills are pretty good, there are better guys out there...so they send him out on his go-cart or whatever the hell he decides to drive and he runs a few laps around the ring to get the people to cheer, stuns a few people to get a bigger cheer, guzzles some beer and leaves. When he was healthier, he was a damn good worker. He worked his ass off in every match, but that was then. I don't think he cares about holding the little guys down. HHH does enough of that for the both of them and he still needs to because he's still a wrestler. The last time Austing was abusive, it was because he was having major problems with the fact that he couldn't wrestle anymore. This time, I think it's because he knows he's out the door. I doubt that he could have postponed it any by holding down the midcard heels, either. He had Goldberg, HBK, HHH and all of the other main eventers to push him out of the limelight (which as far as I'm concerned, he was long before any of this happened) The whole story is sad and drawn out....Point is, when he left the last time, he should have done it the proper way, said his goodbyes to the croud, and lived on as a wrestling great in everyone's memory. Instead, we'll all remember his last appearance as the time he rode around the ring on his bigwheel...

I agree wholeheartedly, excpet that I feel he deserves one last match. Something great, where he can get a HUGE ovation. Maybe against Benoit or Angle at WrestleMania 21

Kane Knight
04-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Honestly, I don't hate the guy. I understand where everyone is coming from saying that he held down up and coming heels, but what else is the guy supposed to do?
While I don't hate the guy, you're making it sound like he had no choice.

I dunno.

Eric's not really killing the show, and he doesn't wrestle. Why does Austin have to kill everyone in a non-wrestling role?

CBright7831
04-08-2004, 05:26 PM
Keep Austin.

Just keep him.

Just don't let him come out every week and stun someone.

Rob
04-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Do you think non-wwe projects with Austin would draw as much as if he was still w/ the WWE?

I think that's vince point, say what you want, but all WWE stars who have had non-wwe success has some buildup or promotion on TV.

Given, at this point SCSA is pretty well know, and his projects would have their own promotion... but who owns the rights to the name?

Vince McMahon sold The Rock his name so he could do the same. For all the millions Austin made him, he should just give it to him out of goodwill.

In all honesty, I don't know what impact being on WWE TV would have for Austin now. He doesn't wrestle and people don't care about him like they once did. I don't even think Steve Austin needs the "stone cold" name and if he did, he could probably get to court and get it being that he and his then wife created it.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Austin fwas a great wrestler for a while, but frankly, as already mentioned all he does is hurt newer talent. He creates feuds that people can't hope to win, so frankly I'm glad he's gone.

PureHatred
04-08-2004, 07:19 PM
Vince McMahon sold The Rock his name so he could do the same. For all the millions Austin made him, he should just give it to him out of goodwill.

Whoah!...the words "Vince McMahon" and "goodwill" were used in the same breath?

Crazy :wtf:

tucsonspeed6
04-08-2004, 08:06 PM
While I don't hate the guy, you're making it sound like he had no choice.

I dunno.

Eric's not really killing the show, and he doesn't wrestle. Why does Austin have to kill everyone in a non-wrestling role?

Because it puts asses into the seats...or at least that's what the WWE writers were thinking at the time. If you think about it, the anti-bischoff role could be filled by anyone, from Teddy Long or Paul Heyman, to (heaven forbid) Stephanie or Shane McMahon. None of them would hold down the midcard heels (Ok, maybe Shane would, but that's worst case scenerio) the way that Austin did. So why did Austin stay after WM19? Stubbornness, greed,...hell he could just be addicted to the business. Fact is, he did stick around, and since he couldn't wrestle, they slapped him into the Co-GM role. Most fans don't want to see Austin not being physical, so the writers did what they felt was the best option. They wrote him in, stunning random heels night after night. Something opened Vince's eyes, though...maybe the sales of merchandise fell, or maybe there was a noticably significant decrease in Austin's pops. Whatever it was combined with Steve's recent domestic issues was pretty much the end of SCSA. So when the usual contract resigning came around and Steve pushed, Vince pushed back. Why pay more for a guy who can't wrestle, isn't selling tickets or merchandise like he used to, and you really didn't have anywhere to go with?

I may have gotten a little off track here, but what I was getting at is that Austin wasn't trying to pull a HHH-esque glass ceiling. The only thing he did bad was sticking around after WM19. The writers were the ones who were stuck with no other choice. Having him kill little heels was probably the most profitable option they had.

Mr.Violent J
04-08-2004, 10:21 PM
Regardless of whether you like the guy, think he is/was a good worker, or was a good wrestler, you can't blame the WWE for keeping him around. His merchandise still sells like crazy and even tho he is not wrestling he does still draw some ppl. So he was still profitable to keep around. Although I do think it will be ultimately better for WWE to let him go now, I can see why they kept him around during the slump for the past few years as he was still one of the biggest draws they had.

Fox
04-08-2004, 10:24 PM
Here's an idea: put Austin with JR and King.

He's definitely got the mic skills, and he's got a great knowledge of wrestling and would probably be more entertaining in that role than he was in the role of Co-GM. Besides, JR and King are so stale these days that adding ANYONE to the mix would be an improvement.

YOUR Hero
04-09-2004, 12:16 AM
'The Rock' was given his name for non WWE projects at a price. Vince gets royalties and billing on Rock's movies.

James Steele
04-09-2004, 02:07 AM
I think that Austin should just leave with what dignity he has left and bring chyna back to kick his ass...

Ooops...did i say that?

Goldbird
04-09-2004, 02:21 AM
'The Rock' was given his name for non WWE projects at a price. Vince gets royalties and billing on Rock's movies.

Do you know i almost wanted to puke when i saw the name "Vince Kennedy McMahon" on the credits of the rundown?

Kane Knight
04-09-2004, 02:42 AM
Because it puts asses into the seats...or at least that's what the WWE writers were thinking at the time.
That's the problem. It didn't seem to bump ratings significantly.

tucsonspeed6
04-09-2004, 02:28 PM
That's the problem. It didn't seem to bump ratings significantly.

Vince thought it did though. Hopefully he's wisened up. He seems to be taking steps in the right direction. Now if we could have a "non-hoss" as the champ.....wait.....HOLY CRAP! :eek:

Corkscrewed
04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Austin doesn't really have anything to do outside of wrestling, though. He's not rich enough so that he wouldn't have to do anything for the rest of his life and still have enough money (I doubt too many wrestlers are... maybe The Rock, but he's a movie star now). He didn't finish college, if I remember correctly. I dunno... he basically needs to keep his fame. It's all he has left.

RGWhat316
04-09-2004, 04:07 PM
I'm an Austin fan and I enjoy seeing him on TV every week, but I agree that he doesn't serve a big purpose now. I like how he's the one that keeps Bischoff in line, but I guess since he can't wrestle, there's not a whole lot for him to do. But since not many new WM 19 was his last match, maybe they can give him one more big one to send him off the right way.

Rob
04-10-2004, 09:06 AM

He won't for much longer. His WWE deal expires soon and he'll sign some deal similar to Mick Foley's where he can do as many outside projects as he likes without sharing his pay day.

Joe Kerr
04-10-2004, 11:54 AM
but who owns the rights to the name?

Vince stole the name anyway from a tv show. uh i just forgot the name...wasnt it like ten million dollar man or something

Kane Knight
04-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Vince thought it did though. Hopefully he's wisened up. He seems to be taking steps in the right direction. Now if we could have a "non-hoss" as the champ.....wait.....HOLY CRAP! :eek:
:lol:

Kane Knight
04-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Vince stole the name anyway from a tv show. uh i just forgot the name...wasnt it like ten million dollar man or something
6 Million Dollar Man.

Steve Austin was the name of the guy.

Calling Austin the "Bionic Redneck" didn't help seperate things either. :D

Rock Bottom
04-10-2004, 12:13 PM

Vince didn't even give Steve Austin his name. He got it from a guy in a small-time promotion because he couldn't come up with anything better before his match.