PDA

View Full Version : The most under-appreciated of all-time?

Nicky Fives
10-17-2009, 07:59 PM
I beleve this "honour" goes to The Undertaker. He is rarely mentioned in the "greatest ever" debates, with the names of Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, The Rock, Steve Austin and some others always mentioned. He has been stuck in feuds with many sub-par performers (Mabel, Kama, Kamala, Ultimate Warrior, Maven, Heidenreich, The Great Khali, Batista, etc.) and havs had some decent matches with crap.

Alternatively, he's also feuded with great workers such as Austin, Rock, HHH, HBK, Kurt Angle, Mick Foley, Brock Lesnar, Kane, Edge, Randy Orton, Yokozuna, etc., and has put on many great and outstanding matches, yet I feel he is not recognized as being the great performer that he is.

With all that being said, who do you feel is the most under-appreciated of all-time?

Favre4Ever
10-17-2009, 08:22 PM
I don't buy that. This guy hasn't had to job at Wrestlemania ever and is getting world title runs despite being post forty and injury prone. No way he's most under-appreciated of all time.

Seth82
10-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I'll say Barry Windham

Lock Jaw
10-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Undertaker is pretty damn appreciated.

The answer to the question is obviously Val Venis.

Bad Company
10-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Scott Steiner

redoneja
10-17-2009, 09:29 PM
I can buy the Undertaker being under appreciated when it comes to being considered a great worker by the IWC. But he's definitely recognized within WWE as being a great wrestler.

FourFifty
10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
The heels of the 80's and early 90's. Honky Tonk Man, Earthquake, Roddy Piper, Bob Orton, King Kong Bundy, The Million Dollar Man.... Guys that were used as stepping stones for Hogan just to make Hogan look good.

Fignuts
10-17-2009, 09:56 PM
I can buy the Undertaker being under appreciated when it comes to being considered a great worker by the IWC. But he's definitely recognized within WWE as being a great wrestler.

Yeah, I think nick actually means underappreciated by the iwc specificly. Anyone can see WWE appreciates him.

But I was about to make a similar thread like this about how when the discussion of "best ever" comes up on a message board, you never see taker on the list. Shame really, because for my money, he's definitely in the running.

Executioner
10-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Arn Anderson

James Steele
10-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Triple H?

IRodC
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
The heels of the 80's and early 90's. Honky Tonk Man, Earthquake, Roddy Piper, Bob Orton, King Kong Bundy, The Million Dollar Man.... Guys that were used as stepping stones for Hogan just to make Hogan look good.

I gotta agree on most of those guys.
Except Piper he is well known and appreciated for being a great heel

Verbose Minch
10-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Triple H?

:wtf:

Gertner
10-17-2009, 10:58 PM
I'll say Barry Windham

Good fucking call. Between Windham and Rick Martel I don't know who is under-rated more in terms of wrestling accomplishments.

Swiss Ultimate
10-17-2009, 11:16 PM
Brooklyn Brawler

Storer50
10-17-2009, 11:47 PM
Ray Rougeau

Nark Order
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Jake Roberts, IMO. He was big in his day but doesn't seem to be on anybody's top 5/10 lists. The man was fucking incredible

TLHOPPER
10-18-2009, 12:34 AM
Ricky Steamboat

FourFifty
10-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Jake Roberts, IMO. He was big in his day but doesn't seem to be on anybody's top 5/10 lists. The man was on a lot of drugs

CWK
10-18-2009, 02:31 AM
I don't buy that. This guy hasn't had to job at Wrestlemania ever and is getting world title runs despite being post forty and injury prone. No way he's most under-appreciated of all time.

Agreed 100%

CWK
10-18-2009, 02:34 AM
Rowdy Roddy Piper, one of the best heels in the history of wrestling, one of the best talkers in the history of wrestling, and also one of the funniest too. All of his greatness, and he had just one short two-month long reign with the I.C. belt in 1992. That was his only major title run ever, so definitely he is most under-appreciated.

Jannettyzilla
10-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Marty Jannetty.

Fuck Miz and Morrison. :n:

CWK
10-18-2009, 02:38 AM
Jake Roberts, IMO. He was big in his day but doesn't seem to be on anybody's top 5/10 lists. The man was fucking incredible

One of the best ever at psychology both in ring and out. Jake was the man, great name to mention!

The Gold Standard
10-18-2009, 02:45 AM

Yeah, I think nick actually means underappreciated by the iwc specificly. Anyone can see WWE appreciates him.

But I was about to make a similar thread like this about how when the discussion of "best ever" comes up on a message board, you never see taker on the list. Shame really, because for my money, he's definitely in the running.

Triple H?

Agree with all of these. With the IWC, Taker is not appreciated as he should be, and same with Triple H. IMO HHH is very good, but gets a bad rep because of his marriage to Steph.

HeartBreakMan2k
10-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Jerry Lynn

Roberts, and Anderson as back ups.

James Steele
10-18-2009, 02:57 AM
The Gold Standard lives up to his name, or as I like to say "The Gold Standard...INDEED!"

Waylander
10-18-2009, 03:33 AM
I think it's John Ce... haha sorry I couldn't finish that.

Rammsteinmad
10-18-2009, 07:55 AM
I think the reason Undertaker never turns up on these 'best of' lists, is because he's like the overall package, but doesn't shine in any one attribute.

Do a thread listed as 'great wrestlers', and you'll get a list of people like Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Lance Storm, Dean Malenko etc. Do a thread titled 'best mic skills', and you'll get Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, Chris Jericho etc. Do a thread of 'best brawlers', 'best high flyers' etc etc.

Undertaker doesn't usually come to mind for any of them, which is probably why he seems under appreciated.

As for peoples personal tastes, IE 'favourite wrestlers' etc... I guess that's just peoples choices.

The Gold Standard
10-18-2009, 01:39 PM
I think the reason Undertaker never turns up on these 'best of' lists, is because he's like the overall package, but doesn't shine in any one attribute.

Do a thread listed as 'great wrestlers', and you'll get a list of people like Bret Hart, Chris Benoit, Lance Storm, Dean Malenko etc. Do a thread titled 'best mic skills', and you'll get Kurt Angle, Shawn Michaels, CM Punk, Chris Jericho etc. Do a thread of 'best brawlers', 'best high flyers' etc etc.

Undertaker doesn't usually come to mind for any of them, which is probably why he seems under appreciated.

As for peoples personal tastes, IE 'favourite wrestlers' etc... I guess that's just peoples choices.

I couldn't have said it better myself

Anybody Thrilla
10-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I didn't enjoy a single Undertaker match until 1997.

4 knuckles up
10-18-2009, 02:18 PM
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/glWSWwFgCGc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/glWSWwFgCGc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Dark-Slicer Diago
10-18-2009, 02:24 PM
Shelton is much better then they're giving him credit, same with Haas and a lot of others.

Sixx
10-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Who's The Undertaker?

The Jayman
10-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Anyone who faces Batista and loses