PDA

View Full Version : Could Bragging Rights be a new beginning for John Cena?

CWK
10-24-2009, 12:02 AM
If Cena were to at Bragging Rights, thus sending him to Smackdown, could this be a whole new chance for him? What I mean is that could this be a possible heel turn & revamped persona for John Cena? Think about it, he could be written in as depressed about being forced out of RAW, thus being dis-engaged with his fans and developing a big time mean streak.

The guy needs a change to his persona. I think he might gain more fans that actually like him. I'm no Cena fan at all, but curious to see where they go with the Cena character.

James Diesel
10-24-2009, 12:19 AM
As long as kids are watching,

Cena = The biggest and bravest of them all. Can deflect all pain from enemies and fights for justice.

Punk = Big mean doo-doo head that made Jeff Hardy go away. Punk makes all kids go sad face, cry and whine.

Orton = "Mommy, why is that big shiny man acting like a snake? He scares me....."

Hello. Welcome to WWE.

:wtf:

Fignuts
10-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Kinda funny that wwe is promoting kid-friendly tv, yet Jeff hardy the druggie was a face and cm punk the straight edge is heel.

Ermaximus
10-24-2009, 01:10 AM
John Cena as a heel is as likely to happen as R-Truth winning the World Heavyweight Title. This is Cena's downfall. He won't go back to being a heel. None of the greats in the business were just 1 side of the face/heel spectrum. Austin, Rock, Hogan, HBK, HHH, Taker, all of these guys could play both a face and a heel and that's why fans got behind them. I say let whatever happens happen. Either Cena continues to be Super Cena and most people dislike him,or the WWE takes a risk and turns him. All you can really do is sit back and wait.

Fignuts
10-24-2009, 01:33 AM
I honestly believe Cena could have been the next austin if they would have kept going with the anti-hero persona he had around that survivor series where he turned. Forgot what year it was. That combined with less limitations to what he can do in the ring would have made him a star to casual and internet fans alike.

Mr. Nerfect
10-24-2009, 01:43 AM
I first decided I didn't like John Cena around the time he started feuding with Booker T over the United States Title in 2004. Since that boring series, which was horribly booked, I decided that I did not think John Cena should be the man to carry the company. Then he started feuding with Carlito and Jesus, and made both look pretty foolish at times. He also "blinged out" the US Title. He was the champion right up until he challenged JBL for the WWE Title at WrestleMania 21, and I still maintain that they should have done a Hulk Hogan/Ultimate Warrior thing there, and not have put the US Title on Orlando Jordan, but rather had both titles on the line in JBL/Cena.

And JBL should have won that match. Cena was not ready to carry SmackDown!, and Batista's World Heavyweight Title win was ready to completely overshadow it. Or, as disgusting as this may be to some, a DQ finish would have fit JBL's character, and really built John Cena up as the man to end JBL's title reign.

But anyway: I don't see John Cena turning heel anytime soon. Granted, if Cena does go to SmackDown! -- he will be a loser. He will have technically lost the blood feud with Randy Orton, and that should weigh in Cena's head. I'd definitely like to see more depth come about because of it. But I cannot see a complete Cena heel turn. If it happened, however, I would completely mark out. Especially considering how many faces are on SmackDown! (The Undertaker, Batista, Rey Mysterio, John Morrison, etc.). Compare that to the main event heels (CM Punk, Chris Jericho, Kane) and Cena certainly adds some flavour in there.

Droford
10-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Punk vs Cena is money and the WWE knows it.

Kane Knight
10-24-2009, 02:14 AM
Kinda funny that wwe is promoting kid-friendly tv, yet Jeff hardy the druggie was a face and cm punk the straight edge is heel.

Even funnier since the wrestling industry wasn't very far removed from a recent steroid investigation.

On the other hand, who's gonna boo Jeff? He's big with the nostalgiacs, the druggies, the chicks, and the kids.

And Shadow, who's all four.

Rammsteinmad
10-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Nothing's gonna change. Cena might be on Smackdown, but it'll still be the same old shit.

On a related note, he'll probably lose to Orton, but then 'find a loophole' that allows him to stay on Raw.

Nicky Fives
10-24-2009, 11:30 AM
As long as kids are watching,

Cena = The biggest and bravest of them all. Can deflect all pain from enemies and fights for justice.

Punk = Big mean doo-doo head that made Jeff Hardy go away. Punk makes all kids go sad face, cry and whine.

Orton = "Mommy, why is that big shiny man acting like a snake? He scares me....."

Hello. Welcome to WWE.

:wtf:

hit the nail on the head with that one my friend :lol:

thedamndest
10-24-2009, 12:50 PM
Even if they keep Cena face (which they probably will) there is a lot more for Cena to do on Smackdown than there is on Raw. He can feud for several months with CM Punk or Chris Jericho. He can get in the ring with Ziggler or Morrison and give them some kind of rub. He can have a friendly rivalry with Rey or Batista. There's the possibility of a big Mania meeting between Cena and the Undertaker. Basically, you don't even need to turn him heel.

I'm actually convinced that a John Cena heel turn has been so built up in the IWC's group-think mind to be the thing that turns everything around for the WWE that the second it isn't exactly like the Attitude Era they will shit all over it. Cena doesn't need a heel turn. He just needs new people to wrestle.

LuigiD
10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
I am all for Cena going to Smackdown.
Like others pointed out, plenty of interesting potential feuds. There is too many "big stars" on Raw.

Ol Dirty Dastard
10-24-2009, 01:29 PM
He needs to not be a huge d-bag when he performs.

Mr. Nerfect
10-24-2009, 01:34 PM
Even if they keep Cena face (which they probably will) there is a lot more for Cena to do on Smackdown than there is on Raw. He can feud for several months with CM Punk or Chris Jericho. He can get in the ring with Ziggler or Morrison and give them some kind of rub. He can have a friendly rivalry with Rey or Batista. There's the possibility of a big Mania meeting between Cena and the Undertaker. Basically, you don't even need to turn him heel.

I'm actually convinced that a John Cena heel turn has been so built up in the IWC's group-think mind to be the thing that turns everything around for the WWE that the second it isn't exactly like the Attitude Era they will shit all over it. Cena doesn't need a heel turn. He just needs new people to wrestle.

I don't think it's just new people to wrestle. I think it's a slight change in philosophy behind how he is used/pushed. On RAW, he's treated like a Superman, and works the same match every time he steps into the ring (pretty much). His shtick is the same night in and night out. But on SmackDown! there is room for progression, development and depth. Cena could feud with CM Punk about something and not just for the hell of it.

HBPunk
10-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Cena needs to rap again!remember his interaction with christian/tomko on the highlight reel the night he debuted on raw?it was awesome and fucking funny,then he stopped forever.that feud had such potential in its own right and wwe fucked it up,then cena became a fucking marine saluting asshole and fucked his character.put him heel,let him rap and keep fuckin rapping

The F.B.I.
10-24-2009, 04:06 PM
I am all for Cena going to Smackdown.
Like others pointed out, plenty of interesting potential feuds. There is too many "big stars" on Raw.

Randy Orton and who else......no one really....HBK and HHH Don't count in my book.....i think we are seeing the beginning of HBK's last run and I wouldn't count HHH to be to far behind....

that is why i don't see Cena losing to Orton....there isn't enough depth on the raw roster to sustain him being defected to smackdown....

thedamndest
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Whatever happens, the Orton/Cena is going to be done. Orton will probably do a mini-program with Dibiase immediately after this. After that he has HHH or HBK, most likely HBK.

The situation is worse for keeping Cena champ on Raw. He feuded with HHH, HBK, and is finishing Orton. The next closest heel on Raw would be Big Show, who is currently with Jericho and he has already faced, or they elevate Swagger.

el bobbo
10-24-2009, 05:23 PM

I was going to make a post about this at one point...

It's so ironic that Punk, a really fit/in-shape drug free guy, is the main heel and guys like Batista, HHH, and John Cena, who suck down anabolic injections like a fat kid by the Slurpee machine, are the main faces.

Ol Dirty Dastard
10-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Cena has no substance anymore, he just does things. His character is completely ludacris.

Swiss Ultimate
10-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Cena has no substance anymore, he just does things. His character is completely ludacris.

To be fair, the same is true of Kane and Undertaker. Vince loves unbelievable characters...

Xero
10-24-2009, 06:14 PM
But they're SUPPOSED to be unbelievable. Cena is like a weightlifter with superhuman powers. It's like if Arnold Schwarzenegger, when he was competing, shot lasers from his eyes.

jskinnyg
10-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Cena turning heel is a MUST in my book... Especially if we are going to put him up there with thte likes of The Rock & Austin... He will be a kick ass heel and at least most of us could actually stand him for a little while... I just can never forgive Vince for letting him introduce that GD spinner belt... Such a disgrace...

Kane Knight
10-25-2009, 12:16 AM

The "heel turn solution" is a rote reaction by the IWC anyway. Guy's stale? Heel turn, problem solved. It's been going on so long with Cena that it's completely unsurprising it's developed a life and mythos of its own.

Anyway, new people to wrestle is fine, but I think people are more angry about SuperCena, rather than him wrestling the same people. I mean, Cena/Orton again and again is kinda...Meh, but the functional problem is that he's a dominant underdog who almost always overcomes the odds. Without changing that, it doesn't matter what show they put him on, and it doesn't even really matter if he's face or heel.

I'm not saying he needs to shift from four moves of doom to putting on ten plus minute clinics every night, but he needs a structural change to make him different. Not a change of scenery.