PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION - Could ECW work as a "niche'd" show? (i.e. devoted to Cruiserweights, etc.)

Heyman
11-03-2009, 03:04 PM
QUESTION - Could ECW work as a "niche'd" show? (i.e. devoted to Cruiserweights, etc.)

Do you guys think that ECW would be better off trying to position themselves off as a "niche'd" show? In other words, instead of being branded as a "WWE light" or the "C show", ECW could be something entirely different.....and target a completely different demographic and audience.

Why not have ECW be a "niche'd" show, where you stack the show with....

-A Cruiserweight Division
-The Women's Division (non-eye candy....just women that can legitimately wrestle)
-Hosses (not the semi-talented ones such as Big Show and Kane, but guys like Great Khali, Mark Henry, etc.). These guys can also serve as bodyguards for the women and/or CW's.

One problem with ECW right now (and Smackdown for that matter), is that the show has no continuity. Whenever the show gets a semblance of momentum, a lot of the top talent gets sucked away to Smackdown or RAW (or in Smackdown's case, to RAW).

And let's face it: The chances of guys like Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston becoming a World Champion one day are extremely slim.

By making ECW a niche'd show, you achieve the following:

1) The show gets an identity

2) The show targets a certain demographic and certain audience (i.e. those that love watching the CW style of wrestling and women wrestling)

3) The show would target a new set of talent (i.e. more luchadore's from Mexico, that can have some sort of security in knowing that they won't be "held back" in the WWE since they'll be on a show with fellow CW's).

4) ECW can still be positioned as "PG" and as a "Global Brand."

Indifferent Clox
11-03-2009, 03:08 PM
instead of the hosses, which is dumb (sorry) use the hardcore guys who know how to use their environment in entertaining ways.

Juan
11-03-2009, 03:09 PM
The show already had an identity as far as I see it.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 03:19 PM
instead of the hosses, which is dumb (sorry) use the hardcore guys who know how to use their environment in entertaining ways.

The reason why I like the 'hoss' idea (i.e. guys like Kali, Henry, etc.), is so that it takes away the crap from the main shows. The hardcore guys that know how to use their environment in entertaining ways, can then be used on the main shows (just as we saw during the Attitude era).

thedamndest
11-03-2009, 03:21 PM
ECW is serving its purpose in that it's the show where new Superstars debut. They don't clutter up the main show rosters, and they get a chance to hone their craft on TV.

It's also a place where they can put older guys that they don't really need on the other shows.

Keep in mind, ECW only just relauched as a brand in 2006. That means relative to the number of guys who have debuted on Raw and Smackdown, very few have actually debuted on ECW. But CM Punk has already captured the World Heavyweight Championship. Morrison re-debuted on ECW and many think he could be on his way to capturing a world title. Christian re-debuted on ECW and will probably hold a World Heavyweight Title at some point. The point is, as more and more guys come through ECW, more and more guys will be successful. It's a numbers game.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 03:22 PM
The show already had an identity as far as I see it.

Do you mind explaining to me what that is? I don't watch the show all that much but from what I know, it's basically just "WWE light." The show basically has a bunch of promising, yet under-exposed, talent that inevitably get shipped off to another show once they start improving.

If ECW truly is a glorified "prospect/farm" show for the WWE, then do you really want that to be the identity?

Does the current ECW show target or cater to certain demographics/audiences that RAW/Smackdown does not?

Indifferent Clox
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
Yes it caters more to the IWC

Indifferent Clox
11-03-2009, 03:29 PM
focusing on matches

Heyman
11-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Yes it caters more to the IWC

I guess that's true. I just think it's really frustrating that a lot of the top talents from both ECW and Smackdown get shipped off to RAW (where they are then met with the 'bottleneck' of HBK, Triple H, Cena, and Orton).

In essence, no one really has a real reason to get behind ECW.....unless they genuinely enjoy watching promising prospects or something.

Juan
11-03-2009, 03:43 PM
.....unless they genuinely enjoy watching promising prospects or something.

Who wouldn't?

Heyman
11-03-2009, 03:45 PM
ECW is serving its purpose in that it's the show where new Superstars debut. They don't clutter up the main show rosters, and they get a chance to hone their craft on TV.

It's also a place where they can put older guys that they don't really need on the other shows.

Keep in mind, ECW only just relauched as a brand in 2006. That means relative to the number of guys who have debuted on Raw and Smackdown, very few have actually debuted on ECW. But CM Punk has already captured the World Heavyweight Championship. Morrison re-debuted on ECW and many think he could be on his way to capturing a world title. Christian re-debuted on ECW and will probably hold a World Heavyweight Title at some point. The point is, as more and more guys come through ECW, more and more guys will be successful. It's a numbers game.

Few things:

1) I hope you are right about Christian. The world title will more than likely come on Smackdown at some point.

2) Although I love the idea of guys "rising within the ranks" and being given ample time to strutt their stuff, I just don't understand why the same thing can't be achieved on one of the MAIN shows......where way more people watch. It's just a shame that RAW has become so bottlenecked, that it's practically impossible for this to occur.

With ECW generally getting around 0.9-1.2 ratings, is there really enough people to appreciate 'x' wrestler "rising within the ranks?"

Juan
11-03-2009, 03:56 PM
ECW has some of the best matches in WWE. That's really all I care about. I just wish people weren't so stubborn when it comes to ECW and actually give it a chance.

thedamndest
11-03-2009, 04:06 PM
One of the things ECW has been able to do is have guys compete with their peers rather than bring in a new guy who would squash jobbers and then get beaten down by The Undertaker or HHH and then finally end up as a jobber himself. It really does bring out the best of the new guys rather than just shove a new guy into the spotlight. It lets them develop naturally.

As far as its ratings, it doesn't have the star power of a Raw or Smackdown, but it isn't designed to. That's one of the reasons you couldn't fit all of the new guys on to the main show. There is just too much star power there. They would never get noticed. But when you do get guys coming up to Raw, fans are already familiar with them so they aren't overlooked. They get reactions.

Skippord
11-03-2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with thedamndest and Juan

Nicky Fives
11-03-2009, 04:51 PM
ECW needs to be more like it used to be.... its on at a later time, thus WWE should give the writers the ability for "edgier" storylines

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:06 PM
ECW has some of the best matches in WWE. That's really all I care about. I just wish people weren't so stubborn when it comes to ECW and actually give it a chance.

So - you don't see it being at ALL problematic that some of the best matches in the company are on a show that hardly anyone watches? (relatively speaking).

Of course I want ECW to have a chance. However - do you think ECW actually "has a chance" when their top talents are continuously being drafted away to the other shows every 12-18 months?

Why not showcase these awesome matches on the shows that people are actually watching? Furthermore, given the fact that we will NEVER see guys like Evan Bourne and other Cruiserweights be serious world champions, why not give them their own show?

By doing that, it would basically be what ECW is like now (i.e. great matches, etc.).....only

A) The show would have continuity (i.e. no top talents being drafted away)

B) The Cruiserweights wouldn't be held back or misused on the main shows.

ECW would still have awesome matches, but now the show would have a specific identity.....and not just be known as "WWE light" or the "WWE Farm."

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
One of the things ECW has been able to do is have guys compete with their peers rather than bring in a new guy who would squash jobbers and then get beaten down by The Undertaker or HHH and then finally end up as a jobber himself. It really does bring out the best of the new guys rather than just shove a new guy into the spotlight. It lets them develop naturally.

As far as its ratings, it doesn't have the star power of a Raw or Smackdown, but it isn't designed to. That's one of the reasons you couldn't fit all of the new guys on to the main show. There is just too much star power there. They would never get noticed. But when you do get guys coming up to Raw, fans are already familiar with them so they aren't overlooked. They get reactions.

I agree with a lot of what you said, and I definitely see your point of view, but I still think that things can be handled a LOT better. Whether people want to admit it or not, being a World Heavyweight Champion on RAW has 10x more significance than being a World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown.

Being a World Champion on Smackdown isn't that much more prestigious than what it would have been like to be an Intercontinental Champion 10 years ago.

In the last 5+ years, the WWE hasn't been able to create successful and legitimate main-event superstars. The reason for this, is that NONE OF THESE GUYS have made a main-event impact on the show that matters most: RAW.

Why do think a guy like Ken Kennedy never panned out? Whatever happened to Carlitto's promise? Or Shelton Benjamin's? Why do you think guys like John Morrison never get popped? Does anyone really expect anything to happen with Kofi Kingston (on RAW), with guys like Cena, Orton, HHH, and HBK there?

Has Jack Swagger done ANYTHING of significance on RAW? If not, then wouldn't you agree that him leaving ECW has done ECW more harm than it's done in bolstering RAW?

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I could care less about the ratings tbh. I don't know why you keep harping on the fact that no one watches ECW.

Plus, since ECW is the developmental brand of WWE, it only makes sense that the bright ones get drafted to Raw and SD. I really don't see the problem.

You always seem to want to restructure the brands, you make a thread about the subject rather frequently. In reality, the only brand that needs help is Raw. I am perfectly happy with ECW and Smackdown right now. Hell, even Superstars produces some good matches.

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:21 PM
Whether people want to admit it or not, being a World Heavyweight Champion on RAW has 10x more significance than being a World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown.

It's this mentality by a large portion of wrestling fans that is hurting ECW and SD more than anything.

Swiss Ultimate
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
I think it's a good idea. The problem is Vince McMahon.

Even if the company followed your formula they'd get their most popular guys sent away for good or ill to Raw and Smackdown.

I want variety, I want good wrestling and I want to be surprised.

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:24 PM
You seem to have a very unrealistic view on how the brands sjhould be structured. They are never gonna have a show with all cruiserwights, a show with all the good workers and a brand with all the veterans.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I could care less about the ratings tbh. I don't know why you keep harping on the fact that no one watches ECW.

The point I'm making is that it would do these wrestlers more justice if they were actually given T.V. time on the MAIN SHOWS to showcase their stuff......where far more people actually watch.

Plus, since ECW is the developmental brand of WWE, it only makes sense that the bright ones get drafted to Raw and SD. I really don't see the problem.

The problem is that these guys get "elevated" to RAW and ultimately get buried. This doesn't help either RAW or ECW. It hurts ECW since they lose a top star, and doesn't do RAW any justice since a talent just gets buried.

Jack Swagger. Nuff said.

You always seem to want to restructure the brands, you make a thread about the subject rather frequently. In reality, the only brand that needs help is Raw. I am perfectly happy with ECW and Smackdown right now. Hell, even Superstars produces some good matches.

I make threads about the subject rather frequently because it's such a glaring problem......and yet it's a problem that is easily fixable.

The wrestlers putting on 5 star matches on ECW and Smackdown, should be doing this on RAW (#1 show) *WITHOUT* being held back by a ridiculous glass ceiling.

You are definitely right that RAW needs to be restructured, but it needs to be done in such a way where the other shows are not getting adversely affected (i.e. Batista's presence on Smackdown only hurts the chances of CM Punk being a legitimate top guy on the show).

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:35 PM
It's this mentality by a large portion of wrestling fans that is hurting ECW and SD more than anything.

???

That's an absurd comment.

How about the fact that the WWE THEMSELVES make the RAW World title be made to look far more prestigious which is WHY the marks think as such.

There's a reason why guys like Jeff Hardy and CM Punk have been world champions on Smackdown, but not on RAW.

You are completely and utterly delusional if you think that the WWE doesn't position the RAW Heavyweight title to be far more prestigious than the Smackdown Heavyweight title.

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Jack Swagger might not be making huge waves on Raw, but he definitely not getting buried. He's getting a chance to further his development in front of a larger audience.

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:39 PM
???

That's an absurd comment.

How about the fact that the WWE THEMSELVES make the RAW World title be made to look far more prestigious which is WHY the marks think as such.

There's a reason why guys like Jeff Hardy and CM Punk have been world champions on Smackdown, but not on RAW.

You are completely and utterly delusional if you think that the WWE doesn't position the RAW Heavyweight title to be far more prestigious than the Smackdown Heavyweight title.

I see what you're saying, but just because WWE says it is, doesn't mean you have to fall in line and accept it.

In my mind, CM Punk is just as prestigious a champion as John Cena and Randy Orton. It's all in the way you watch these shows.

By your logic, Batista, Edge and the Undertaker rank lower as champions than John Cena and Randy Orton. You can chose to accept that as fact, but I just don't see it that way.

WWE also tells me that John Cena is one of the best wrestlers ever, doesn't mean I have to believe it or accept it.

Juan
11-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Seems like you worry a lot about how these shows are perceived by the marks, which doesn't affect the way I watch these shows at all.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:50 PM
You seem to have a very unrealistic view on how the brands sjhould be structured. They are never gonna have a show with all cruiserwights, a show with all the good workers and a brand with all the veterans.

Unrealistic? Yes. Easily the best route to go and condusive to creating way more *real* stars? (as opposed to bullshit "flash in the plan" guys like Kennedy). YES.

If RAW had the following roster:

-Triple H
-Edge
-Undertaker (part-time)
-Shawn Michaels
-Jericho
-CM Punk
-Christian
-Shelton Benjamin
-Matt Hardy
-The Miz
-Santino Marella
-MVP
-Ted Dibiase
-Cody Rhodes

-Any other young, non cruiserweight, guy with talent and potential, I guarantee the show would be far better and we'd see far more new stars being created.

-Triple H and Undertaker would do the job for the right guy (a clean victory over Triple H and Undertaker means more than going clean over ANY other guy on the roster)

-Edge can be a legit main-event guy and is also willing to put others over....and is also capable of having 5 star matches.

-Jericho and HBK would do the appropriate jobs to the up-and-comers while making them look good.

Anyway - that's just what I would do.

Smackdown can then have the stars that have 'peaked out', but are still big enough to be a decent draw: It can also be reserved for promising talent, but aren't quite as promising as the ones on RAW....yet

-Randy Orton
-John Cena
-Dave Batista
-Kane
-Big Show
-Jack Swagger
-John Morrison
-Zack Ryder

etc.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I see what you're saying, but just because WWE says it is, doesn't mean you have to fall in line and accept it.

In my mind, CM Punk is just as prestigious a champion as John Cena and Randy Orton. It's all in the way you watch these shows.

By your logic, Batista, Edge and the Undertaker rank lower as champions than John Cena and Randy Orton. You can chose to accept that as fact, but I just don't see it that way.

WWE also tells me that John Cena is one of the best wrestlers ever, doesn't mean I have to believe it or accept it.

Batista and Undertaker have both been the #1 guy in the company at some point throughout their careers (i.e. Bats in 05', and Taker back in his day), and so of course, they would never be perceived by the fans as being 'lower ranked champions.'

I guess the ultimate point I'm making is this: RAW is still being pegged as the #1 show, while a guy like Triple H is still being pegged as the absolute best in the business (in an indirect way). It would be MUCH better for a guy like CM Punk to actually get a clean victory over a guy like Triple H in a big PPV main-event at some point.

At some point - it would be awesome to push a guy like CM Punk in the same manner that John Cena and Dave Batista were. That's all I'm saying.

Until that happens, Punk will never become the star, or achieve the credibility, that the WWE wants. This goes for ANY young and promising star in the WWE.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 07:00 PM
Seems like you worry a lot about how these shows are perceived by the marks, which doesn't affect the way I watch these shows at all.

Marks compose 95% of the fan base.

You and I can appreciate good wrestling, etc., but the marks NEED their stars to have credibility.

Right now - the biggest thing that can add credibility, is being a non-transitional world champion on RAW.....and beating Triple H cleanly for it.

I would even go as far as saying that being a world champ (on EITHER show) means almost nothing. The only time a world championship MEANS something huge, is if you are a NON-transitional world champion on RAW, and have been made out to be clear cut #1 guy in the company.

thedamndest
11-03-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree with a lot of what you said, and I definitely see your point of view, but I still think that things can be handled a LOT better. Whether people want to admit it or not, being a World Heavyweight Champion on RAW has 10x more significance than being a World Heavyweight Champion on Smackdown.

Being a World Champion on Smackdown isn't that much more prestigious than what it would have been like to be an Intercontinental Champion 10 years ago.

In the last 5+ years, the WWE hasn't been able to create successful and legitimate main-event superstars. The reason for this, is that NONE OF THESE GUYS have made a main-event impact on the show that matters most: RAW.

Why do think a guy like Ken Kennedy never panned out? Whatever happened to Carlitto's promise? Or Shelton Benjamin's? Why do you think guys like John Morrison never get popped? Does anyone really expect anything to happen with Kofi Kingston (on RAW), with guys like Cena, Orton, HHH, and HBK there?

Has Jack Swagger done ANYTHING of significance on RAW? If not, then wouldn't you agree that him leaving ECW has done ECW more harm than it's done in bolstering RAW?

I would agree that making it on Raw seems to be the ultimate goal in the company. When the WWE Championship was on Smackdown for a brief period, the World Title was suddenly the most showcased belt despite not being the most prestigious. I would disagree that Smackdown's title is only slightly higher than a midcard title from ten years ago. When a Smackdown superstar gets moved to Raw, he will usually jump right into whatever position he left. HHH would fit in the main event of Raw, as would Batista, Orton, Cena, Taker, Edge, or Punk.

Part of the reason the WWE hasn't created many new stars is that John Cena has been unbeatable. One guy (Bobby Lashley) left. Another reason is because they give as much time to the Divas as they do the undercard. There just isn't time on PPVs for non-title feuds.

Kennedy never panned out because he kept getting injured and he just never got off the ground. Carlito is still okay when he wants to be, but doesn't really have a character or direction. Shelton is one guy who has never really given up, but as hard as he tries the fans have never really gotten behind firmly. Again, lack of undercard makes it impossible to build stars. The current situation on Raw is not helping with all the guest hosts.

Swagger has a great look, he can wrestle, and can talk. He is actually involved in an angle on Raw right now. There really wasn't anything left for him to do on ECW.

Heyman
11-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Another reason is because they give as much time to the Divas as they do the undercard.

thedamndest,

Excellent overall post. I would comment more on it but I pretty much agree with everything you said. I especially agree with you on the fact that the Diva's get *way* too much TV time. I would like to see them get the T.V. time that they were getting during the Attitude Era.

For actual female wrestlers that are legitimate competitors, and not just eye candy, I think it would be interesting to just lump them all on ECW and see if they attract a new demographic, etc. With the female competitors out of the way on the main shows, it then allows more time for the under card wrestlers to strutt their stuff.

DAMN iNATOR
11-04-2009, 01:21 AM
Batista and Undertaker have both been the #1 guy in the company at some point throughout their careers (i.e. Bats in 05', and Taker back in his day), and so of course, they would never be perceived by the fans as being 'lower ranked champions.'

I guess the ultimate point I'm making is this: RAW is still being pegged as the #1 show, while a guy like Triple H is still being pegged as the absolute best in the business (in an indirect way). It would be MUCH better for a guy like CM Punk to actually get a clean victory over a guy like Triple H in a big PPV main-event at some point.

At some point - it would be awesome to push a guy like CM Punk in the same manner that John Cena and Dave Batista were. That's all I'm saying.

Until that happens, Punk will never become the star, or achieve the credibility, that the WWE wants. This goes for ANY young and promising star in the WWE.

Uh, hello? Undertaker is the top guy on SD! right now, and I know your view is that the big gold World Heavyweight Championship means more prestige for guys who have held it while on RAW, presumably because that's where Eric Bischoff first introduced it as a main event title in the WWE.

However, (NEVER thought I'd see myself type this next part) I must agree with Juan that it doesn't really matter which show holds the WWE title and which one holds the World Heavyweight title. By using your very same logic as a devil's advocate thing here, I could, although, inaccurately, biasedly (if that's even a word) say that the World Heavyweight Championship is more prestigious on SD! because the first time it was held by someone on SD! it wasn't awarded to them, the way Triple H's title was by Bischoff. Doesn't make it true.

When you take a good hard look at who was on what brands when they won the World title, I think you'd have to admit that your statement that the World title is more prestigious on RAW than on SD! is utterly ridiculous.

Heyman
11-04-2009, 02:29 AM
Uh, hello? Undertaker is the top guy on SD! right now, and I know your view is that the big gold World Heavyweight Championship means more prestige for guys who have held it while on RAW, presumably because that's where Eric Bischoff first introduced it as a main event title in the WWE.

No. My view is that the RAW Heavyweight Championship is more prestigious than that of Smackdown's, due to the way that the WWE themselves have positioned it.

Why do you think the WWE moved Jeff Hardy over to Smackdown, as opposed to letting him stay on RAW back in 2008? Why do you think guys like Edge, Big Show (post 2003), Booker T, RVD, Rey Mysterio, etc. all become world champions on shows OTHER than RAW?

Why do you think that for most Wrestlemania's, the RAW main-event is the final match on the card? (and that whenever Smackdown has the 'final title match' on the card, it always involves Undertaker winning?).

However, (NEVER thought I'd see myself type this next part) I must agree with Juan that it doesn't really matter which show holds the WWE title and which one holds the World Heavyweight title. By using your very same logic as a devil's advocate thing here, I could, although, inaccurately, biasedly (if that's even a word) say that the World Heavyweight Championship is more prestigious on SD! because the first time it was held by someone on SD! it wasn't awarded to them, the way Triple H's title was by Bischoff. Doesn't make it true.

When you take a good hard look at who was on what brands when they won the World title, I think you'd have to admit that your statement that the World title is more prestigious on RAW than on SD! is utterly ridiculous.

RAW is the clear cut #1 show and the World title (whichever World title it is) is always THE #1 belt whenever it is on RAW. Period.

As much as we want guys like Jeff Hardy, CM Punk, etc. to be seen in the same light as Cena, Orton, Batista, and Triple H, the WWE does see them as such....and does not regard them as such.

THIS is what needs to be changed in my opinion.

Winning a world title does not hold as much significance nowadays as it once did....especially if this world title victory comes on Smackdown (CM Punk), ECW (Christian), or even on RAW if one is positioned as a transitional champ (Jericho). The one TRUE thing that really matters, is if you are pushed as THE #1 guy in the company (and this is no longer synonymous with being world champ).

The ONLY way a guy be a legit #1 guy in the company right now (i.e. the "face" of the company), is if they have a lengthy World Heavyweight title reign......on RAW.....AND a 100% clean victory is obtained over Triple H.

This is why guys like John Cena and Dave Batista became as big as they did. It's also one reason why Chris Benoit's victory in 2004 was so huge (although unfortunately for Benoit, he was pushed as a transitional champ).

It is also the reason why Edge, as many World titles as he's won, and as much of the man that he is, has NEVER been considered to be the "#1 guy in the company" at any point in his career. I truly hope that changes within the next few years.

Skippord
11-04-2009, 02:41 AM
Maybe they don't want a clear cut #1 guy so it seems like there's more competition?

Heyman
11-04-2009, 02:48 AM
Maybe they don't want a clear cut #1 guy so it seems like there's more competition?

Interesting thought. I think it's always better for business if you have a clear cut #1 guy though. WWE was at its best when they did this. Even in the boxing world and other sports, the sport is always at its best when there is ONE clear cut #1 guy.

If the WWE are truly interested in pushing guys like CM Punk or whoever, then a world title run on Smackdown alone will not suffice....unless at some point, you have a 'champ vs. champ' match or something and a guy like Punk goes 100% clean over Triple H.

Hell - even if CM Punk, as a Smackdown Heavyweight Champion, goes over Undertaker CLEANLY, it would atleast put him on par with the likes of Cena, HHH, etc.

Juan
11-04-2009, 03:09 AM
Interesting thought. I think it's always better for business if you have a clear cut #1 guy though. WWE was at its best when they did this.

but back then WWE had WCW to worry about it. Now, not so much...

DAMN iNATOR
11-04-2009, 05:31 AM
I respect your steadfastness in your opinion here, Heyman, but at this point in time I must strongly disagree with your assertion that RAW is the "A" show right now. It was, yes, for a VERY long time, the dominant brand in all the WWE. But a new dynamic has come along and changed all that and allowed SD! to take the reigns of the WWE by developing stars better, and avoiding comedy angles for the most part, which on RAW are way overdone these days.

Let's just see how many people still tune in when ("IF", perhaps?) they combine the fact that there's so many comedy attempts on RAW with the God-awful proposed new RAW opening featuring Nickelback. Yeah, that'll make people want to tune in, just like a tune from Eminem or Britney or Blink 182 or the Backstreet Boys would.:n::n:

Mr. Nerfect
11-04-2009, 08:22 AM
I think ECW could use a bit more credibility, don't get me wrong. I don't really like the idea of it being a "niche" show, though. I'd like it to be a forceable entity, though.

What I think ECW could use, is a big star. Not just a bigger guy in a small pond, but an actual big fish to make ECW seem like an ocean. Rey Mysterio, in my opinion, would be perfect for this. When he got suspended, I thought bringing him to ECW would be a good move. It lets him "pay off" his dues a bit, and it also helps out ECW tremendously by giving them a former World Heavyweight Champion, and a guy that the fans genuinely care about now and not someone they will care about later.

When Legacy splits, I wouldn't mind seeing Cody Rhodes moved to ECW. He has main event-level exposure on RAW, so people know who he is now. There would just be less of a roof for him on ECW. I feel that he would pull the show up more than he would pull it down. Cody and Goldust could also have their feud there.

I'd also like to see the ECW Title treated like an actual World Title. Why the fuck not? If they ever do another Champion of Champion Match, I'd like to see the ECW Champion get the win while the WWE and World Heavyweight Champion cancel each other out. Maybe shake up the belt design a bit. I know the 17lbs of platinum is new, but give it a distinct, but unmistakeably gold design, and I think it will help the belt out a lot.

I still maintain that ECW could benefit from a Television Title. Some say there are too many championships, but with three separate brands, I think that should be expected. ECW essentially has two levels: The guys involved in the ECW Title picture, and those who aren't. The guys who aren't could use something to put on their resume. It looks better for a guy like Paul Burchill to be able to call himself a three or four time ECW TV Champion when he moves to RAW or SmackDown!, instead of having nothing there. I actually believe this has been why the ECW Title has moved down in stature a bit.

To kill both the lack of big stars and lack of title credibility problem, you can use one man: Edge. He's won every single title there is to win. When he returns, people will take notice. If Edge returned to ECW, and said that he wants to be the ECW Champion because it's the only thing he is yet to achieve in his WWE career, then people will take notice of both him and the ECW Title. If Christian is holding the ECW Title, then even better. There is a history there, and a match like that could actually get time on the WrestleMania card, for example.

ECW is a developmental brand, no doubt about it, but there are different layers they can develop through it. You can have the really new guys, who get their start there; but you can also have guys that have nothing else really pressing to do, or are caught between being a main eventer and mid-carder on RAW or SmackDown!. R-Truth, for example, seems to be someone the WWE wants to push. Why not push him on ECW, where the competition is thinner? Then use the ECW Title to launch him into the WWE or World Heavyweight Title pictures as he'd be a "former World Champion."

DAMN iNATOR
11-04-2009, 09:38 AM
I like your idea with Edge coming back and returning on ECW to feud with Christian for the ECW title at WM, Noid...it makes for a believably credible match that could stack up just as well, if not better than any WWE or World Title, or perhaps, even dare I say, any MitB or Taker streak match on the card.

Mr. Nerfect
11-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Now, this would be even more unrealistic, but if Edge won the Royal Rumble to cash in that title shot against Christian, it would mean that Edge would have not only won every championship, but had also won the "big annual events," completeing the Triple Crown of having won the King of the Ring, Money in the Bank and the Royal Rumble.

The Royal Rumble winner challenging for the ECW Title would also instantly raise the interest of the ECW Title. The match would almost certainly not headline the PPV, but Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H won't need the Royal Rumble to boost it, and whatever SmackDown!'s match is could be set up on its own.

redoneja
11-04-2009, 01:02 PM
If you're going to "niche" ECW then I would suggest keeping the same talent but either adding a new championship or modifying the conditions of which the ECW Title is contested. I sorta like having a "Beat the Champ" Title like Smokey Mountain Wrestling had:
The storyline concept of the title was that the champion would defend his title every week against a "randomly drawn" opponent. For each successful defense of the belt, the wrestler won $1000, and if the champion could win five title matches in a row, including the title win, then the title was vacated and the champion received a $5000 bonus

Thats how it worked in SMW. I'd change the monetary amounts to $5000 and $10,000 for today though. I also think it would work best if it were a seperate title and wrestlers from all three brands could be "randomly drawn". That would triple the potential challengers each week, give the undercard workers on Raw and Smackdown something to do, and occasionally you could get a Raw or Smackdown main eventer on ECW (having been randomly drawn).

Juan
11-04-2009, 03:17 PM
wow @ this thread

Heyman
11-04-2009, 03:34 PM
I respect your steadfastness in your opinion here, Heyman, but at this point in time I must strongly disagree with your assertion that RAW is the "A" show right now. It was, yes, for a VERY long time, the dominant brand in all the WWE. But a new dynamic has come along and changed all that and allowed SD! to take the reigns of the WWE by developing stars better, and avoiding comedy angles for the most part, which on RAW are way overdone these days.

DAMN iNATOR,

I think you're missing my point. All I am saying is that the WWE themselves POSITION RAW as being the "A" show...or the #1 show. WWE Management wants fans to believe that RAW is "the flagship"....and the number one show.

I am NOT saying that RAW is more entertaining than Smackdown, or that RAW delivers higher quality programming. I agree with you that Smackdown, and even ECW, have been cooler than RAW for a while now (for all the reasons you listed).

And that is all I am really saying:

-If WWE management wants the fans to believe that RAW is their #1 show
-If ECW and Smackdown consistently produce better matches with their talents
-If smaller wrestlers (Cruiserweights) have absolutely no chance of becoming legitimate main-eventers that can have a lengthy, non-transitional, runs as world champions...

Then

-Why not structure the 3 brands as such that caters to this mentality?

Why not put guys like CM Punk, Jeff Hardy (if/when he comes back), Christian, Shelton Benjamin, etc., etc. on RAW where the BEST possible matches will be on the show that WWE management clearly wants people to believe that is the #1 show?

It seems fairly straightforward to me that this is what the WWE should do.....but they, and others on here, do not see that I guess. :-\

Heyman
11-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I think ECW could use a bit more credibility, don't get me wrong. I don't really like the idea of it being a "niche" show, though. I'd like it to be a forceable entity, though.

What I think ECW could use, is a big star. Not just a bigger guy in a small pond, but an actual big fish to make ECW seem like an ocean. Rey Mysterio, in my opinion, would be perfect for this. When he got suspended, I thought bringing him to ECW would be a good move. It lets him "pay off" his dues a bit, and it also helps out ECW tremendously by giving them a former World Heavyweight Champion, and a guy that the fans genuinely care about now and not someone they will care about later.

When Legacy splits, I wouldn't mind seeing Cody Rhodes moved to ECW. He has main event-level exposure on RAW, so people know who he is now. There would just be less of a roof for him on ECW. I feel that he would pull the show up more than he would pull it down. Cody and Goldust could also have their feud there.

I'd also like to see the ECW Title treated like an actual World Title. Why the fuck not? If they ever do another Champion of Champion Match, I'd like to see the ECW Champion get the win while the WWE and World Heavyweight Champion cancel each other out. Maybe shake up the belt design a bit. I know the 17lbs of platinum is new, but give it a distinct, but unmistakeably gold design, and I think it will help the belt out a lot.

I still maintain that ECW could benefit from a Television Title. Some say there are too many championships, but with three separate brands, I think that should be expected. ECW essentially has two levels: The guys involved in the ECW Title picture, and those who aren't. The guys who aren't could use something to put on their resume. It looks better for a guy like Paul Burchill to be able to call himself a three or four time ECW TV Champion when he moves to RAW or SmackDown!, instead of having nothing there. I actually believe this has been why the ECW Title has moved down in stature a bit.

To kill both the lack of big stars and lack of title credibility problem, you can use one man: Edge. He's won every single title there is to win. When he returns, people will take notice. If Edge returned to ECW, and said that he wants to be the ECW Champion because it's the only thing he is yet to achieve in his WWE career, then people will take notice of both him and the ECW Title. If Christian is holding the ECW Title, then even better. There is a history there, and a match like that could actually get time on the WrestleMania card, for example.

ECW is a developmental brand, no doubt about it, but there are different layers they can develop through it. You can have the really new guys, who get their start there; but you can also have guys that have nothing else really pressing to do, or are caught between being a main eventer and mid-carder on RAW or SmackDown!. R-Truth, for example, seems to be someone the WWE wants to push. Why not push him on ECW, where the competition is thinner? Then use the ECW Title to launch him into the WWE or World Heavyweight Title pictures as he'd be a "former World Champion."

Good post. I can't say I agree with everything you said, but it's a good post nonetheless. :y:

I like the idea of Rey Mysterio being on ECW (especially under my idea of ECW being devoted to CW's, female wrestlers, and useless hosses). A guy like Rey
Mysterio could really help guys like Evan Bourne, etc. garner massive credibility through a series of 5 star matches.

Believe it or not Noid, I think that in many ways, we are actually saying the same thing (i.e. ECW being a 'forceable entity' as opposed to just being another show).

I think for ECW to be a forceable entity however, the show needs to be unique in a MAJOR way.....so that people know what it's about and don't perceive it to be "WWE light."

However - another danger in giving ECW too many top-tier stars while not giving the show a discernible identity, is that it will take away depth from the MAIN shows.

thegoat10
11-06-2009, 04:00 PM
edge will win rumble cash it on chritsian for ecwchampionship at mania. At eliminaton chamber both raw & smackdown willl have matches to see who faces who at mania and if edge wins the belt he'll just will get drafted to raw or smackdown and christian to the other brand ......my guess

DaVe
11-07-2009, 01:51 AM
Why is this not a DISCUSSION thread?

Anybody Thrilla
11-07-2009, 07:39 PM
ECW is great and if you take it for what it is, there's nothing wrong with it.