PDA

View Full Version : is shenmue 3 still wickedly unfeasible to make?

The Mask
11-15-2009, 09:25 AM
or with all the new technology and whatnot will it be able to be finished cheap(er) and still maintain the original essence? i have never wanted to play a game through to the end so bad.

Triple Naitch
11-15-2009, 09:40 AM
I never understood why it has been so difficult to make. Shenmue I is one of my all-time favorites. Way ahead of its time.

OssMan
11-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Got so bored of Shenmue I dunno. Maybe it is cause it's totally "against" the way I normally play video games. I'm looking for sailors

jcmoorehead
11-15-2009, 03:52 PM
I never understood why it has been so difficult to make. Shenmue I is one of my all-time favorites. Way ahead of its time.

Money, the first two cost shitloads to make and they didn't make back what they cost so it was shelved.

Emperor Smeat
11-15-2009, 04:00 PM
In order for Shenmue II to have broken even on the Xbox meant at the time everyone who owned an Xbox needed to buy 2-3 copies of the game.

That game was a big reason why nobody wanted to touch a potential $100+ million project for years. Even Rockstar struggled with the money for GTA IV and used the $50 million from Microsoft to help fund the initial game and then used the profits to make the 2 expansion sets.

jcmoorehead
11-15-2009, 04:17 PM
I heard the same thing about just plain Shenmue on the Dreamcast too, either way it was too big an investment for them. Shame as it was a great game!

The Mask
11-15-2009, 04:19 PM
Got so bored of Shenmue I dunno. Maybe it is cause it's totally "against" the way I normally play video games. I'm looking for sailors

my big gripe with it was that you had to spend fucking ages in an empty car park throwing punches at air to train your skills up. that was fucking rubbish, though they addressed that a bit in shenmue 2.

i dont really understand what makes it particularly different to a lot of sandbox games out these days.

G
11-15-2009, 04:31 PM
i dunno. heard nothing but good things about this. might give it a try on the dreamcast

Gray
11-15-2009, 07:07 PM
I loved the original Shenmue. Always playing in the arcade and also the end fight where you had to beatup about 50 guys... It was awesome, sadly my thumbs by the time i finished it were near red-raw :'(.

Shenmue 2 didnt really live up to the expectations that Shenmue actually aquired though, dont think i actually completed it either because the game crashed on me and wouldnt work again. Lame.

The Mackem
11-20-2009, 10:06 AM
Was it the second Shenmue that ended when you were walking through a forest? My mate played these games and while he thought it was the best concept ever, he sure did seem to waste a lof of time walking and stuff.

The Mask
11-20-2009, 09:09 PM
that's right. it was weird. like that whole walking through the forest thing was kind of technically part of the ending, i think. like the lord of the rings of computer game endings. fighting through the skyscraper in shenmue 2 might have been the most awesome thing in any game ever though. like you deck a bunch of henchmen in an amazing looking way due to the qte, run away from some more using your mad skills to foil them along the way, fight some really weird dressed up guy in a cage somewhere along the way, finish him off with the best combo of all time, carry on up to the roof and then leather an 8 foot tall bald fat monstrousity while the man who killed your father looks on from a ladder dangling from a helicopter.

Triple Naitch
11-20-2009, 10:35 PM
I forget. Did they ever explain why the dude killed Ryo's dad?

The Mask
11-21-2009, 06:48 AM
im not sure. i am half sure somewhere it mentioned that ryo's dad killed lan di's pa back in the day, although i could be wrong.

The Mask
11-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Lan Di (蓝帝, born Longsun Zhao) is the principal antagonist in both Shenmue and its sequel Shenmue II. Lan Di kills Iwao Hazuki, Ryo's father, at the beginning of Shenmue. He blames Iwao for the death of Sun Ming Zhao (his father), and takes a precious stone mirror engraved with a dragon design.

:cool:

Triple Naitch
11-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Damn, I really wanna play this again now.

James Steele
11-22-2009, 03:59 PM
I only played the first one and only got to where you have to drive a motorcycle somewhere in a certain time and I never got it before I returned the Dreamcast to my friend.

Crazy Nick
12-03-2009, 12:34 AM
I own the first Shenmue on Dreamcast and still love it to this day. After playing and beating the first one about a million times, I decided to invest in an Xbox just so I could play Shenmue II. I was pretty impressed by it, although I must say the first one was much better because it was very original and I never had played anything like it. The second one was great as well, but was a disappointment because we were left with a cliffhanger ending.
I am sure many fans of the series would love to see a third one but, it is highly unlikely that it will come out. But we can still hope that it does though....

Big Fat Mike
12-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Stop beating the bottle of glue already.

Funky Fly
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
my big gripe with it was that you had to spend fucking ages in an empty car park throwing punches at air to train your skills up. that was fucking rubbish, though they addressed that a bit in shenmue 2.

i dont really understand what makes it particularly different to a lot of sandbox games out these days.

The insane amount of money and polish would be the difference. While game budgets are beginning to reach the $100 million mark, games are also more widespread and more profitable now. Add DLC to that and you get companies making profits in the billions (though, that's still companies that put out multiple big sellers each per annum). The guy would probably want half a billion to make it and Sega doesn't make that kind of cash anymore.

Plus, a lot of companies aren't willing to put a retardedly expensive game on hold for extended periods because of the creator's eccentric finishing touches. Delays happen, but usually it's only for when the game's totally broken. Even then, some games get put out still buggy and a patch gets released later.

Indifferent Clox
12-03-2009, 04:34 PM
one of my fav games ever