PDA

View Full Version : Pushing Young Talent in WWE

Wolfpack423
11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
I think its apparent after last night's Survivor Series which for the most part I enjoyed particularly the main event, that the young guns are starting to get the rub. Sheamus and McIntyre were responsible for every elimination on Team Morrison, except Benjamin who was eliminated by Miz another young gun. Kofi was the sole survivor of his team. WWE has always been a place where superstars are continuously being made.

On a sidenote: If we are getting HHH vs. HBK at Wrestlemania, the feud is going to be amazing. I know it was a triple threat but nobody expected that Sweet Chin Music to happen at the opening bell. Awesome and a good way to begin dissension.

Rammsteinmad
11-23-2009, 12:02 PM
Overall it was a pretty good PPV. Probably not the best this year, and I can't stand this whole PG thing, but it was pretty solid throughout. Was surprised that Sheamus got the final pin in his match, and the Kofi/Punk mini-match was great!

Of course, their all being groomed so that DX can squash them somewhere down the line. :mad:

Wolfpack423
11-23-2009, 12:42 PM
Overall it was a pretty good PPV. Probably not the best this year, and I can't stand this whole PG thing, but it was pretty solid throughout. Was surprised that Sheamus got the final pin in his match, and the Kofi/Punk mini-match was great!

Of course, their all being groomed so that DX can squash them somewhere down the line. :mad:

DX will be preoccupied at the moment, because I can see them starting to build a feud between HHH and HBK. See I can understand people's frustrations with PG, but to be honest I have enjoyed alot of matches this year in the WWE and most of them were just straight matches.

Joesgonnakillyou
11-23-2009, 12:48 PM
I hate Sheamus and Drew McIntyre. Really hate them. I hate McIntyres stupid 'evil' voice, his slow head bob when he talks and his fruity hair that looks worse as any match goes on. Sheamus is just your standard 'hoss', the only thing is that he can just about string a sentance together. Clumsy tossbag managed to injure a ref. McIntyre is the next Test and Sheamus the new Snitsky. When you look at people in that match who could actually be major players job to these two charisma free piss breaks it just frustrates the hell out of me.

I really liked the rest of the PPV though. Especially the Kofi stuff. HBK's sweet chin music was awesome

Lock Jaw
11-23-2009, 01:06 PM
Miz, Kofi, and Swagger are the only young talent being pushed who seem to have actual personalities.

Though Kofi is kinda weird since he isn't Jamaican anymore, but his music, attire, logos, finishing move name.... all still remain "Jamaicafied".

Wolfpack423
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
I hate Sheamus and Drew McIntyre. Really hate them. I hate McIntyres stupid 'evil' voice, his slow head bob when he talks and his fruity hair that looks worse as any match goes on. Sheamus is just your standard 'hoss', the only thing is that he can just about string a sentance together. Clumsy tossbag managed to injure a ref. McIntyre is the next Test and Sheamus the new Snitsky. When you look at people in that match who could actually be major players job to these two charisma free piss breaks it just frustrates the hell out of me.

I really liked the rest of the PPV though. Especially the Kofi stuff. HBK's sweet chin music was awesome

I like your forum name. I am not huge fans of Sheamus or McIntyre either. I am just saying that they are pushing younger talent. I am a huge Kofi fan and agree with you that HBK's sweet chin music was awesome.

blake639raw
11-23-2009, 02:16 PM
Miz, Kofi, and Swagger are the only young talent being pushed who seem to have actual personalities.

Though Kofi is kinda weird since he isn't Jamaican anymore, but his music, attire, logos, finishing move name.... all still remain "Jamaicafied". Yeah, I agree about Kofi. I thought the same thing. Although, if they just give him just stupid generic, nu-metal song, I'd prefer the Jamaican song.

Mr. Nerfect
11-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Kofi's doing fine as he is.

For the record, I really, really love Drew McIntyre.

screech
11-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Kofi's doing fine as he is.

For the record, I really, really love Drew McIntyre.

:y:

Drew McIntyre has a lot of potential. Plus, his finisher is great. He does the Double Arm DDT so smoothly.

screech
11-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Though Kofi is kinda weird since he isn't Jamaican anymore, but his music, attire, logos, finishing move name.... all still remain "Jamaicafied".

I agree. I think he is doing very well where he is now, but he needs three things to really put him over the top:

1. New theme music
2. New attire
3. To wrestle a more aggressive style

With the third one, having the flashy, athletic stuff is okay (and pretty much necessary since that's what got him noticed initially). However, I think he needs to take to a more physical style and add to the "badass-ness" of his new character.

Loose Cannon
11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
starting to get the rub? the "young guns" have been getting the rub since 2005 when Cena and Batista were put in top spots. There has been tons of young guys that have recieved pushes since then and some have made it and most have failed (or just given up on coughkenkennedy).

It may seem like they are just starting to get rubs because the WWE does do a lot of flip flopping with thier younger talent. A guy may carry the IC Title today and 6 months later will be jobbing on ECW.

Loose Cannon
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
I mean look at those two guys that were teaming with Edge a couple years back in his stable. They recieved a pretty hard push. Now, one is back in training and the other competes on ECW.

Look at a guy like Elijah Burke. He got a pretty hard push to start his career and now he's gone. I remember people on here saying how he was going to be huge.

And the list goes on

Emperor Smeat
11-23-2009, 11:28 PM
The writers are more to blame for all the flip flopping since it seems that they push the young wrestler early and then pull the plug before any benefits could be gained.

For example Swagger. The writers basically had his push set once he announced he was going to stay undefeated for the rest of the year. He has had good matches with Miz and Bourne and could have used the momentum so by the end of the year, he would be a legit contender for the Rumble or at least as a fresh main eventer. Instead he looses after a few weeks and it appears that his momentum has been killed off.

To be fair, they are giving Kofi a better push with his feud with Orton and it does appear it could last a while which will give Kofi enough time with a main event quality feud.

CSL
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
I agree. I think he is doing very well where he is now, but he needs three things to really put him over the top:

1. New theme music
2. New attire
3. To wrestle a more aggressive style

With the third one, having the flashy, athletic stuff is okay (and pretty much necessary since that's what got him noticed initially). However, I think he needs to take to a more physical style and add to the "badass-ness" of his new character.

How dare you suggest Kofi change that theme you evil bastard

screech
11-23-2009, 11:31 PM
How dare you suggest Kofi change that theme you evil bastard

I love the theme, but it's too fun-loving for his new, edgier character.

It's like when Finlay delivers a beatdown or something badass, then fucking Swog's music hits. Totally kills the moment.

CSL
11-23-2009, 11:34 PM
If they ever give Kofi a new theme, I demand his current one be instated as the new theme for all 4 shows. And any live events. And most of the undercard.

Johnny Vegas
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
If only TBK didn't fuck up his push...:nono:

That TBK & Ezekiel pair was awesome...

Kane Knight
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
The writers are more to blame for all the flip flopping since it seems that they push the young wrestler early and then pull the plug before any benefits could be gained.

I don't know if that realy changes the point. This isn't a new thing; tons of guys have gotten a rub to not go anywhere. It's a solid point that it happens, and usually goes nowhere.

Now, personally, I'd like to see Kofi and Swagger go somewhere.

Mr. Nerfect
11-24-2009, 01:18 AM
I don't think Kofi should change too much right now.

Jaded-Dragon
11-25-2009, 12:21 AM
I'm sorry, I watched Turning Point, and I was AT Survivor Series, and in no way shape or form did SS even come close to the product that TNA is putting out right now. Watch the main event from Turning point, then watch the two triple threat matches at SS. Both SS matches had guys laying outside on the floor for over 5 minutes. They might as well have been singles matches.

There was a small "Same old Shit" chant started in my section during the main event. And yes, it truly is. How many times are we going to see Triple H and/or HBK vs Cena? I'm tired of seeing the superman underdog Cena win every time. I'm tired of seeing Triple H do the same god damn 5 moves per match. I'm tired of seeing Shelton Benjamin get squashed, and I'm really tired of seeing Hustler quality females with 3 weeks of wrestling training trying to put on a decent match.

It's a good thing my tickets to SS were free, because I still feel ripped off.

Indifferent Clox
11-25-2009, 12:27 AM
true

Juan
11-25-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm sorry, I watched Turning Point, and I was AT Survivor Series, and in no way shape or form did SS even come close to the product that TNA is putting out right now. Watch the main event from Turning point, then watch the two triple threat matches at SS. Both SS matches had guys laying outside on the floor for over 5 minutes. They might as well have been singles matches.

There was a small "Same old Shit" chant started in my section during the main event. And yes, it truly is. How many times are we going to see Triple H and/or HBK vs Cena? I'm tired of seeing the superman underdog Cena win every time. I'm tired of seeing Triple H do the same god damn 5 moves per match. I'm tired of seeing Shelton Benjamin get squashed, and I'm really tired of seeing Hustler quality females with 3 weeks of wrestling training trying to put on a decent match.

It's a good thing my tickets to SS were free, because I still feel ripped off.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Deus_Ex00700/Sheamus_oshauhnessy.jpg

DAMN iNATOR
11-25-2009, 01:15 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/Deus_Ex00700/Sheamus_oshauhnessy.jpg

I'll see that Sheamus pic, Juan, and raise you a Sheamus titantron...
</EMBED>
</EMBED>
<object width="580" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5u-yTe_4494&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5u-yTe_4494&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="580" height="360"></embed></object></EMBED>
:y:

Indifferent Clox
11-25-2009, 01:40 AM
yeah they are pushing the fuck out of sheamus

Phenomenal 1
11-25-2009, 07:16 AM
starting to get the rub? the "young guns" have been getting the rub since 2005 when Cena and Batista were put in top spots. There has been tons of young guys that have recieved pushes since then and some have made it and most have failed (or just given up on coughkenkennedy).

It may seem like they are just starting to get rubs because the WWE does do a lot of flip flopping with thier younger talent. A guy may carry the IC Title today and 6 months later will be jobbing on ECW.

Loose Cannon has a good point here....Look at The Brian Kendrick for example....when he started the swaggeristic, self centered gimmick with Big Zeke as his muscle, he got a major push getting wins over guys like Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy, R Truth, Kane, and others....and nay we forget that he actually was placed in a WWE Title main event and scored a pin in in the Championship Scramble to become interim WWE Champion, and then just a little over a year later, he is on RAW and is losing to Kofi Kingston and others in less than 10 seconds. Shortly after TBK was given "future endeavors" and sent packing with little or nothing to show for it.

Young guys are always being given opportunities, title opportunities, and a medium to showcase that "IT" factor that makes or breaks a main eventer. The problem in WWE is either they think you have it or you don't have it. If you don't take the initiative to push your own character, try to invent yourself in a way the fans see it, and actually grab the brass ring and get over...then WWE sees nothing left in you and your left stuck on the midcard or getting one sentence on WWE.com with Future Endeavors surrounding your name.

WWE biggest problem is they feel we need comic relief and keep guys like Santino Marella and Hornswoggle employed over others, versus showcasing quality wrestling matches and well developed story lines.

Some blame does fall on the talent, as in the case with Kennedy and TBK, but there are plenty of people who have been given the pink slip to the door that never got a chance to showcase their talent or show what kind of gimmick they could really run with because they were lost in the pack of established names in the "E." WWE is just as much to blame if not most to blame for the problems of young guys getting hammered by the glass ceiling in pro wrestling.

TerranRich
11-25-2009, 02:25 PM
I'd really get behind Drew McIntyre if they got rid of HIS accent (like they did with Kofi) and had him more natural, more "himself". The best gimmicks are those that are closer to the real personalities, just amplified a bit.

Mr. Nerfect
11-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Does McIntyre actually have an accent, though. I enjoyed his fight with Finlay on SmackDown!. You can tell they were just like "Hey, let's beat the shit out of each other."