PDA

View Full Version : Next Star Trek

parkmania
01-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Paramount Pictures has staked out an opening weekend for the sequel to J.J. Abrams’ highly successful reboot of the Star Trek film franchise. The as-yet-untitled Star Trek sequel will debut on June 29th, 2012.

Abrams’ Star Trek, which was released last May, earned over $257 million at the domestic box office. Abrams is producing the Trek sequel, which Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof, are writing. Abrams has not announced whether or not he will direct the film.

Jeritron
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I bet Abrams will do it. Not the most knowledgable about Star Trek, but it's pretty obvious that they gotta do something epic with Klingons. Maybe some large scale Star Wars-esque ground battles to go with the space battles they brought in.

New characters: Is there anyone from the original show that they didn't set up in the first? Maybe they'll set up Khan or something.
Also, wouldn't be suprised to see them incorporate Borgs and TNG stuff in this "new reality" timeline. Prob in the 3rd movie

parkmania
01-11-2010, 07:14 PM
It seems like most of the races I'm coming up with off the top of my head (Tholians, Gorn, Archons) were not known until Shatner & crew met them in episodes. Pretty sure I remember seeing Andorians in the movie, and we definitely saw them in Enterprise.

Typing that makes me think of something - as oddly as they were treated in Enterprise, how about the Suliban and the Temporal Cold War?

Blue Demon
01-11-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm hoping for KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*inhales*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAn

Vastardikai
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I'll definitely check it out. I can now no longer see Scotty as anyone other than Simon Pegg.

Tb1
01-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Obviously excited for this. Hoping for the next one to focus on Klingons, but I wouldn't be surprised if they gave in to temptation and went with KHAAAAA - Khan. Would love a few more battle scenes and some moral issues as well.

D Mac
01-12-2010, 01:05 AM
2012 is too long away. :(

Boondock Saint
01-12-2010, 02:17 AM
I'll definitely check it out. I can now no longer see Scotty as anyone other than Simon Pegg.

That's too bad.

Lock Jaw
01-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Tribbles for the main villain next movie. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I hope they aren't going to revert to old tricks like constantly putting the ship in peril and crap. They over did that with the past films.

Kane Knight
01-12-2010, 12:31 PM
Star Trek II: The rise ofKHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*inhales*AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAn

Jeritron
01-12-2010, 12:33 PM
http://imstars.aufeminin.com/stars/fan/naveen-andrews/naveen-andrews-20050815-62285.jpg

JJ Abrams should cast Naveen Andrews to play a klingon

Buzzkill
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM
Plz no Klingons

I have never been a Star Trek fan but whenever I hear Klingon I only think of Star Trek conventions; the word has become a form of self-mockery to me

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
Probably have the Klingons attacking the new Vulcan homeworld, or something. blah

XCaliber
01-12-2010, 07:47 PM
No Khan please i'd rather they have an early encounter with the Borg over that but even that isn't such a great idea. It only seems logical for the next movie to deal with the Klingons in some way shape or form. This may be a new universe but as the 1st movie indicated as much as things change certain things will remain the same.

Lock Jaw
01-12-2010, 10:02 PM
I don't think they should use the Borg or Khan. They've already got movies.

Maybe Cardassians? Those guys were serious business.

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

D Mac
01-13-2010, 07:07 AM
Q should be in this.

El Vaquero de Infierno
01-13-2010, 07:14 AM
Katherine Janeway should be in this...

Tb1
01-13-2010, 04:02 PM
Cardassians wouldn't be a bad idea, still yet to have their own movie.

XCaliber
01-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Q should be in this.

Which one Trelane?

Tb1
01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/06/19/trek-de-lancie.jpg

parkmania
01-14-2010, 12:19 AM
As far as I'm concerned, John deLancie can suck a cock.

Dude was brought into town shortly after Next Gen went off the air for a comic book convention. His hotel was attached to the convention center, yet he was an hour late getting to his 2-hour timeslot for signing autographs. He was unapologetic about it, and when I finally got up to him and tried to say something nice to him he was the rudest motherfucker I'd had the displeasure to meet in several years.

On the other hand, Armin Shimmerman was a blast to meet... he definitely "gets it".

Tb1
01-14-2010, 02:11 AM
http://www.starrytrek.com/db1/00004/starrytrek.com/_uimages/Quark.JPG

Lock Jaw
01-14-2010, 02:35 AM
Maybe a Ferengi movie! They can be accomplices to The Tribbles!

parkmania
07-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Speculation that Khan Noonien Singh would once again menace the forces of Starfleet in the as-yet-unnamed Star Trek sequel appears to be unfounded. Actor Karl Urban, who has reprised his role as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy in the sequel, accidentally let slip what director J.J. Abrams has kept under wraps, the identity of the villain in the film.

When, during an interview with SFX about his lead role in the new Judge Dredd film, Urban was asked about working with Benedict Cumberbatch on the Star Trek sequel, the actor replied: "He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary."

Gary Mitchell, as fans of the original series know, was a Star Fleet Academy friend of Kirk’s, who as the result of an encounter with a "galactic barrier," acquired extraordinary telepathic and telekinetic powers along with a serious case of megalomania. Gary Lockwood played Gary Mitchell in the classic "Where No Man Has Gone Before" episode, which was the second pilot episode ordered by NBC (at the behest of Lucille Ball). This was the episode that got the series on the air and established the makeup of the original series crew. It marked the first Star Trek appearances of William Shatner (Kirk), James Doohan (Scottie), and George Takei (Sulu).

Cumberbatch, who is brilliant as the nearly superhuman sleuth in the BBC’s Sherlock, would appear to be an excellent choice to play Mitchell, who doesn’t shy away from referring to himself as "godlike."

Gonna be interesting to see how they adjust that story to the "new" Trek universe. Although I would have prefered new material to a rehash. I have a feeling that's gonna be my view of this whole franchise though.

Swiss Ultimate
07-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Could always wait until the next reboot.

parkmania
07-11-2012, 09:04 AM
True, it'll probably be a LOT less than 40 years this time.

XCaliber
07-11-2012, 12:06 PM
Speculation that Khan Noonien Singh would once again menace the forces of Starfleet in the as-yet-unnamed Star Trek sequel appears to be unfounded. Actor Karl Urban, who has reprised his role as Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy in the sequel, accidentally let slip what director J.J. Abrams has kept under wraps, the identity of the villain in the film.

When, during an interview with SFX about his lead role in the new Judge Dredd film, Urban was asked about working with Benedict Cumberbatch on the Star Trek sequel, the actor replied: "He’s awesome, he’s a great addition, and I think his Gary Mitchell is going to be exemplary."

Gary Mitchell, as fans of the original series know, was a Star Fleet Academy friend of Kirk’s, who as the result of an encounter with a "galactic barrier," acquired extraordinary telepathic and telekinetic powers along with a serious case of megalomania. Gary Lockwood played Gary Mitchell in the classic "Where No Man Has Gone Before" episode, which was the second pilot episode ordered by NBC (at the behest of Lucille Ball). This was the episode that got the series on the air and established the makeup of the original series crew. It marked the first Star Trek appearances of William Shatner (Kirk), James Doohan (Scottie), and George Takei (Sulu).

Cumberbatch, who is brilliant as the nearly superhuman sleuth in the BBC’s Sherlock, would appear to be an excellent choice to play Mitchell, who doesn’t shy away from referring to himself as "godlike."

Gonna be interesting to see how they adjust that story to the "new" Trek universe. Although I would have prefered new material to a rehash. I have a feeling that's gonna be my view of this whole franchise though.

This article which came out sooner contradicts that one:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/26/five-characters-who-wont-be-in-the-star-trek-sequel

The Destroyer
07-11-2012, 01:55 PM
Plus they've already adapted that story - it was done in the comic series set in the film continuity late last year which Orci was involved in as a creative consultant.

Seems a bit lazy if they do it again.

DLVH84
07-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I believe Jonathan Frakes should direct. He really understood Star Trek. Or at least assist Abrams.

Swiss Ultimate
07-12-2012, 07:46 AM
Anyone involved in the Next Generation movies should be barred from the set.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
First Contact was a pretty good film, DTTS.

Kane Knight
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
First Contact was a pretty good film, DTTS.

Was that the one that rehashed most of the themes of Star Trek 2, only without the subtlety or quality?

Swiss Ultimate
07-12-2012, 11:37 AM
It was the one where they tried to make a horror movie out of the Star Trek franchise.

Tb1
07-12-2012, 12:21 PM
Was that the one that rehashed most of the themes of Star Trek 2, only without the subtlety or quality?

That would be Nemesis.

Tb1
07-12-2012, 12:22 PM
It was the one where they tried to make a horror movie out of the Star Trek franchise.

That was also Nemesis, inadvertently.

Tb1
07-12-2012, 12:23 PM
Generations had promise but was a complete mess. First Contact was wonderful, and I'm still a big fan of Insurrection although it has plenty of it's own problems.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-12-2012, 03:43 PM
Nemesis was god-awful; Insurrection has grown on me over the years but I still think it is fairly poor.

Curtis Anderson
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Anyone involved in the Next Generation movies should be barred from the set.

I don't understand why you would say that. You are probably running on nostalgia here. The movies based on The Original Series have not aged that well, Wrath of Khan excluded. The Next Generation movies, while not mind-blowing, are at least all competent.

Lock Jaw
07-12-2012, 04:06 PM
Star Trek II-IV and VI are still awesome. I actually enjoyed Star Trek: Generations, though it could have obviously been way better. First Contact was awesome. Insurrection and Nemesis were pretty "mehhhh", though I think I have only seen them once and don't even remember what happened in them.

RoXer
07-12-2012, 04:51 PM
In Order:

Star Trek: First Contact - 80
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 78
Star Trek Generations - 77
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 77
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 75
Star Trek: Nemesis - 70
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 70
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 68
Star Trek: Insurrection - 67
Star Trek Travels Back in Time to Save Whales - 17

Kane Knight
07-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Generations had promise but was a complete mess.

After a long career of defying the odds to almost Cena-like proportions, he dies because he falls off a ladder.

Lock Jaw
07-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Screw you pal. Star Trek Travels Back in Time to Save Whales was one of my favorite movies as a kid.

Mooияakeя™
07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
I still stick by what I photochopped years and years ago....

Would love to see him as a captain in some form

http://www.tpww.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7100&stc=1&d=1342130834

Mooияakeя™
07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
God knows how btw.

On a side note, dunno if this planned "Starate is gonna be an SG-1 or not?"

Swiss Ultimate
07-12-2012, 06:13 PM
My favorite was the one with the Whale.

Kane Knight
07-12-2012, 06:48 PM
I still stick by what I photochopped years and years ago....

Would love to see him as a captain in some form

http://www.tpww.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7100&stc=1&d=1342130834

Indeed, Moonraker.

God knows how btw.

On a side note, dunno if this planned "Starate is gonna be an SG-1 or not?"

Wot

Mooияakeя™
07-12-2012, 06:54 PM
http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/will-smith/359040-independence-day-stargate-movie-sequels

Tb1
07-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Yeah, Nemesis was mostly a disaster. I watched a fan edit that used a few deleted scenes and cut out alot of the fat that was much better. Insurrection would've been a better TNG episode.

Tb1
07-12-2012, 08:26 PM
In Order:

Star Trek: First Contact - 80
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock - 78
Star Trek Generations - 77
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan - 77
Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country - 75
Star Trek: Nemesis - 70
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier - 70
Star Trek: The Motion Picture - 68
Star Trek: Insurrection - 67
Star Trek Travels Back in Time to Save Whales - 17

Disqualified for saying Final Frontier was a better film than Insurrection or Voyage Home. Jesus krispies

RoXer
07-12-2012, 09:56 PM
Voyage To Save Whales can suck my pink dick

JimmyMess
07-13-2012, 09:31 AM
I like the Whales saving movie

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
-Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (100)
-Star Trek: First Contact- (90)
-Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (85)
-Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (81) - good but too short.
-Star Trek: III The Search for Spock(79)
-Star Trek (2009) (77)
-Star Trek: Generations 75
-Star Trek: Insurrection-70.
-Star Trek: The Motion Picture Director's Cut 65. (Included because a good amount of the film was cut-up to be more like an actual movie where things happen.)
-Star Trek: The Motionless Picture (Original Version): 50.
-Star Trek: Nemesis-50.
-Star Trek V: The Final Frontier-0

SlickyTrickyDamon
07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, Nemesis was mostly a disaster. I watched a fan edit that used a few deleted scenes and cut out alot of the fat that was much better. Insurrection would've been a better TNG episode.

Insurrection WAS a TNG episode: Who Watches the Watchers.

Mooияakeя™
07-13-2012, 08:25 PM
The Inner Light was the best thing that came out of TNG for me. Not sure how it would of played on the big screen, but it's just proof that sometimes, pure acting and not a full out budget can trounce explosions and epic ideas. I know films need to be this and that compared to a series episode, but I guess what I'm saying here is for most of the TNG movies, it was like rubbing shit into the excellent work of the series.

Quality far outweighs anything. I liked the new movie, I'm happy it worked out. It was good to get some $$$ into the franchise too so it doesn't totally die. There is a demand for it. Each series has it's retaining factors and good points, the new movie too. I just hope a new series will be commissioned soon enough...

For the love of god though, head writers: Manny Coto & Ron Moore

parkmania
07-15-2012, 06:45 PM
BTW, how many other people realized that

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTYyOTQ4MDE2MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTE0MTgwNw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

features Shinzon and Kirk 2.0?

Kane Knight
07-15-2012, 07:04 PM
-Star Trek V: The Final Frontier-0

Oh, come on. It at least deserves a 10 for the rousing choruses of "Row Row Row your boat."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qZC_v6BRWPM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Inner Light was the best thing that came out of TNG for me. Not sure how it would of played on the big screen, but it's just proof that sometimes, pure acting and not a full out budget can trounce explosions and epic ideas. I know films need to be this and that compared to a series episode, but I guess what I'm saying here is for most of the TNG movies, it was like rubbing shit into the excellent work of the series.

Quality far outweighs anything. I liked the new movie, I'm happy it worked out. It was good to get some $$$ into the franchise too so it doesn't totally die. There is a demand for it. Each series has it's retaining factors and good points, the new movie too. I just hope a new series will be commissioned soon enough...

For the love of god though, head writers: Manny Coto & Ron Moore

No way would it play well on the big screen. At least, not as a Star Trek feature. I agree that quality is more important than budget and effects, but that would have left people all pissed.

There would be nerdriots