PDA

View Full Version : whats up with the dead crowds on raw.

The MAC
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
It seems nothing gets the crowds going anymore. I watched perhaps the most anticipated comeback to the wwe, bret hart walk out on RAW to a luke warm reception. :nono:

Last week Vince came out to deliver his heel speecha nd the crowd chanted "boring" through it. What happened to the rabid crowds and WWE passion and all of that?

Kane Knight
01-17-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing boring shit nobody's interested in.

The MAC
01-17-2010, 12:54 PM
as far as wrestling goes, a storyline based on a shoot that has been 12 years in the making is pretty fucking interesting.

Maybe we should just have another little peoples court and HHH playing with his hornswoggle on tv

Xero
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Crowds suck now-a-days unless they're in a hotbed like New York, Chicago, Canada or the UK.

Xero
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Here's something to put this into perspective: The average WWE fan now was not alive when Bret was last in the WWF.

Kane Knight
01-17-2010, 01:20 PM
as far as wrestling goes, a storyline based on a shoot that has been 12 years in the making is pretty fucking interesting.

Maybe we should just have another little peoples court and HHH playing with his hornswoggle on tv

Yes, let's trade shit nobody cares about for other shit nobody cares about.

:lol:

True Brit Grit
01-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Don't agree whatsoever that the product is boring and don't even think it comes down to the fans being too young.

Last week on Raw there was an absolutely amazing promo cut by the Miz. Absolutely brilliant stuff played out by he and MVP in the ring - and you could clearly hear guys (who weren't 12) chanting 'boring...'

For me it comes down to the fact that the large amount of fans these days don't know what makes a good promo, a good match, or a good wrestler. That segment and the Bret return are classic examples.

The Pope
01-17-2010, 01:37 PM
WWE fans are retarded

Xero
01-17-2010, 01:43 PM
Don't agree whatsoever that the product is boring and don't even think it comes down to the fans being too young.

Last week on Raw there was an absolutely amazing promo cut by the Miz. Absolutely brilliant stuff played out by he and MVP in the ring - and you could clearly hear guys (who weren't 12) chanting 'boring...'

For me it comes down to the fact that the large amount of fans these days don't know what makes a good promo, a good match, or a good wrestler. That segment and the Bret return are classic examples.

Not entirely, and not really age in and of itself, but the fact that most fans weren't watching during the Bret era really puts a strain on them caring about who he is. There are fans who will go out of their way and watch old footage, don't get me wrong, but the majority can't be assed to even get their history straight and thus the importance of the Bret/Vince/Shawn angle is lost on them.

However, you're right. The majority of WWE fans these days don't understand what a good promo, match or wrestler is. They go by what WWE's standards are because they don't know any better. They'd rather take a Cena promo where he tries (and fails) to be serious over something like Miz's promo or the Bret angle. They want over the top now, not the gritty shoot-like stuff we came to love in the Attitude Era.

True Brit Grit
01-17-2010, 01:55 PM
I couldn't agree more - I came away from that episode of Raw (with the Miz promo) and also the Bret stuff thinking that it felt much like the 1998-2001 stuff. So much of that is lost on fans today. Perhaps we're all just getting older?

I do accept that WWE does have to take some of the blame. The attitude era was at its best when WWE was trying to outdo WCW and express themselves. Years without serious competition has left them lazy - so much so that when some gold like the Bret/Miz stuff comes out, it is completely flat.

The answer? Producing that knuckle-edge TV more often. They've proved they can do that and keep in with the PG criteria now.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-17-2010, 02:51 PM
I dunno Bret got a pretty loud reaction in the ring when he came out. It was when he and Vince did the bullshit cutesy WWE stuff that people stoppd caring.

Stealth-Icon
01-17-2010, 03:02 PM

Promos like this may look good on TV, but are incredibly boring live when you pay money and drink beer.

Fox
01-17-2010, 03:02 PM
I think the problem is that there's nothing on the line anymore; there's no throughline or primary storyline. During the Wars, for WCW is was the nWo vs. WCW; who's going to join tonight? What shit is Hogan going to pull? Who is Scott Steiner going to fuck up tonight? Where's Sting when you need him? Oh shit, he's in the fucking rafters with a baseball bat. In the WWF it was the Corporation, DX, Stone Cold, Mankind, the Ministry of Darkness, and all of their stories kind of intertwined and surrounded the focal point which was Vince McMahon vs. Stone Cold and anyone else who opposed him.

What is there now? A fucking guest host every Monday night? That doesn't mean shit. There is no focal point on RAW. It's like watching a really bad episode of Saturday Night Live sometimes, just a bunch of random ass shit thrown together, sometimes really funny, sometimes really horrible, usually just bland as hell, tied together with a special celebrity host. For all the bullshit that the Triple H era (2002-2004) gave us, I atleast give them credit for maintaining a focal point of Triple H, Evolution and the World Heavyweight Championship vs. Everybody else. That shit is gone. And the fans don't really care anymore.

Cool King
01-17-2010, 03:34 PM
Here's something to put this into perspective: The average WWE fan now was not alive when Bret was last in the WWF.

Yeah, like the recap video of Bret's return, it shows a girl twice who looks about 7 years old cheering for Bret Hart, but I bet that she was actually cheering for Cena and whoever made that video just took that footage and stuck it in the recap to make it look like everyone knows who Bret Hart is. :-\

(0:09 & 0:21)

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcXuxyIXmUE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wcXuxyIXmUE&hl=en_GB&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

el bobbo
01-17-2010, 03:37 PM
I think the problem is that there's nothing on the line anymore; there's no throughline or primary storyline. During the Wars, for WCW is was the nWo vs. WCW; who's going to join tonight? What shit is Hogan going to pull? Who is Scott Steiner going to fuck up tonight? Where's Sting when you need him? Oh shit, he's in the fucking rafters with a baseball bat. In the WWF it was the Corporation, DX, Stone Cold, Mankind, the Ministry of Darkness, and all of their stories kind of intertwined and surrounded the focal point which was Vince McMahon vs. Stone Cold and anyone else who opposed him.

What is there now? A fucking guest host every Monday night? That doesn't mean shit. There is no focal point on RAW. It's like watching a really bad episode of Saturday Night Live sometimes, just a bunch of random ass shit thrown together, sometimes really funny, sometimes really horrible, usually just bland as hell, tied together with a special celebrity host. For all the bullshit that the Triple H era (2002-2004) gave us, I atleast give them credit for maintaining a focal point of Triple H, Evolution and the World Heavyweight Championship vs. Everybody else. That shit is gone. And the fans don't really care anymore.

This might be a longshot, but they could have something like this with the CM Punk/straight-edge cult storyline. If Punk and Gallows can go over DX and win the tag titles, they will be on both shows and generate a huge amount of heat. Wrestlers can either be with the stable or against the stable while engaging in separate feuds.

But it's just a pipe-dream...

Nicky Fives
01-17-2010, 05:28 PM

This is THE reason

D Mac
01-17-2010, 05:46 PM
The rabid crowds are now in TNA.

NoRoolz
01-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, the dead crowds are horrible. Makes it awkward to watch and makes me feel like all passion is gone from the WWE.

VSG
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I think I first noticed this when WWE was last in Canada and Lawler kept bringing up the point of them being in bizzaro-world with the fans having a rep for acting opposite to the american fans. That night I dont recall a single pop/boo from the entire crowd!

Vastardikai
01-17-2010, 07:46 PM
At the end, the WWE really gives us nothing TO cheer for. (though the house show I went to was a hot crowd.) And when the fans want to cheer something and it's not what the 'E wants them to cheer, they try to kill it.

Then, there's the shit like "bizarro-world" for the fans that do cheer. And I remember the last time I watched Raw, the fans in Canada wanted to cheer Jericho. Then they had that moment where they had Jericho try to turn heel for his match with Cena. At that moment I quit caring.

Emperor Smeat
01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I would argue between the meh quality Raws during the Guest Host period and the stale/boring main events on RAW, the crowd either stopped caring or is waiting for RAW to have decent shows in a row.

If the WWE would stop their mindset of RAW as their flagship and everything else as 2nd tier, they could be rebuilding RAW into a better show similar to what was done with Smackdown. Smackdown used to be horrible after talent raids but since they have been left alone, they have built up the wrestling and feud quality much better than RAW.

FourFifty
01-17-2010, 11:02 PM
It seems nothing gets the crowds going anymore. I watched perhaps the most anticipated comeback to the wwe, bret hart walk out on RAW to a luke warm reception. :nono:

Last week Vince came out to deliver his heel speecha nd the crowd chanted "boring" through it. What happened to the rabid crowds and WWE passion and all of that?

Too many underage fans.
This means less drinking at the live shows.
This means less rowdy drunks reacting to anything.

Rammsteinmad
01-18-2010, 05:41 AM
I find Vince McMahon promos boring too. :wave:

Dave Youell
01-18-2010, 09:54 AM
When you promote your company to adults/teenagers who get drunk and rowdy and therefore react to things, that's what you will get (a hot crowd from 1999)

When you promote your company to familes and children, you get a family/childlike reaction, which isn't as passionate. (Now)

The Mask
01-18-2010, 10:05 AM
remember that time i said it'd be way better if they hadn't advertised the fact bret hart was coming back?

yeah.

James Steele
01-18-2010, 11:29 AM
remember that time i said it'd be way better if they hadn't advertised the fact bret hart was coming back?

yeah.

Then, there wouldn't have been any reaction at all.

rob11
01-18-2010, 12:10 PM
It comes as part of the territory when you appeal to kiddies.

The MAC
01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
raw is nicolodeon

tonight bret the hitman hart came out to talk to the evil mr. Mcmahon. While bret was talking The Miz came out and call bret a dinosaur. Bret called The Miz a Doo Doo Head and said he was not a dinosaur but his partner for tonights match is. The miz asked if its hulk Hogan, bret said no

then the lights went into a purty purple colour and music started. " i love you,
You love me..." Barney the Dinosaur came out handing sweets to the crowd. Barney then asked shawn michaels to come to the ring as Barney had a surprise for HBK.

Barney reached into his bag and found Shawns smile..

they all had a sweet and hugged. Raw did a 3.4 with Barbey out popping Bret hart.

The Jayman
01-18-2010, 03:15 PM
who's hosting Raw tonight? I forgot

DaveBrawl
01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Don Johnson!

and the kid from Napoleon Dynamite

DaveBrawl
01-18-2010, 03:17 PM
That came across way more excited than it should have.

The Jayman
01-18-2010, 03:19 PM
it's ok Dave. thank you

Jeritron
01-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Raw will be guest hosted by Boney

http://nickrewind.com/liveaction/weinerville/boneypg.gif

The Franchise
01-18-2010, 05:55 PM
I think a large part is the same shit in the main-event for years now and not an interesting mid-card at all. WWE seems burnt out.