PDA

View Full Version : First member of the 2010 WWE Hall of Fame....

Xero
02-01-2010, 09:42 AM
From PWInsider:

The first member of WWE's 2010 WWE Hall of Fame class will be Antonio Inoki. The company announced it on their Japanese website this morning. You can click here (http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wwe.co.jp%2Fnews%2Fnews_detail.php%3Fnid%3D10146&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate) to read a translated version of the announcement.

WWE also announced that Stan Hansen will handle the induction.

It should be interesting to see how WWE handles the often-ignored Inoki WWF title win over Bob Backlund in November 1979 in Japan. Backlund regained the belt on 12/6, but it was later announced that due to outside interference by Tiger Jeet Singh, the belt was vacant. Backlund then defeated Bobby Duncum Sr. in a bout at Madison Square Garden to regain the title. The American audience was never told that Backlund had lost the belt in Japan, nor were they told that the Duncum bout was to fill the vacancy. WWF did not publicly acknowledge the title win until many years later when it was listed in the Title Histories of the WWE championship, although they later dropped that acknowledgement.

Inoki, most famous to American fans for a mixed bout against Muhammad Ali, was the heart and soul of New Japan Pro Wrestling for most of it's existence. He parlayed his wrestling popularity into political success as well, much like Jesse Ventura, but on a much grander scale.

Gertner
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Hansen should be in too, but a solid choice.

Vastardikai
02-01-2010, 09:55 AM
What Gertner said.

Dark-Slicer Diago
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
This just brightened up my shitty day. :)

DaveBrawl
02-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Wasn't Stu Hart already announced as the first member or was that just supposed to be part of the story? Either way glad to see Inoki get some recognition.

Hanso Amore
02-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats good stuff. Stu is a good one too.

Add Macho Man Randy Savage as the main attraction and am in

Xero
02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Wasn't Stu Hart already announced as the first member or was that just supposed to be part of the story? Either way glad to see Inoki get some recognition.

I'm guessing that was just for the storyline and that he'll officially be announced later. Would be silly not to induct him this year honestly.

DaveBrawl
02-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I agree.

FourFifty
02-01-2010, 03:16 PM
Haystacks Calhoun for the Hall Of Fame, FTW!!!!!

Dave Youell
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Misawa should be in there IMO

thedamndest
02-01-2010, 03:39 PM
If Antonio Inoki has time to step down from his government job at the senate, I would love to induct him into the WWE Hall of Fame.