PDA

View Full Version : Joey Mercury

Juan
02-01-2010, 04:25 PM
source: PWInsider.com

Three-time WWE Tag Team Champion Joey Mercury is set to return to World Wrestling Entertainment, according to multiple company sources.

Mercury, who has also worked as Joey Matthews, is perhaps best known for his partnership with John Morrison (then Johnny Nitro) as the team MNM, managed by Melina.

After being released from his WWE contract on March 26, 2007, Mercury continued working independents before retiring in 2008, reportedly due to injury issues.

Mercury is tentatively scheduled to rejoin the SmackDown roster.

thedamndest
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM
I thought he was going to be dead.

GD
02-01-2010, 04:46 PM
Mercury is pretty talented and a delight to watch in the ring. I am happy that he is back in the E!

Ermaximus
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Morrison-Mercury fued perhaps?

Also, this:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcY3_4fCHc8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lcY3_4fCHc8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Juan
02-01-2010, 04:48 PM
That was a brutal spot. Great match though...

Ermaximus
02-01-2010, 04:51 PM
One of the best at that PPV. It was Hardys vs. MNM vs. Regal/Taylor vs. who else again?

Juan
02-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Londrick

CSL
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
I thought he was going to be dead.

This. Pretty suprised they're bringing him back, don't see what he has to offer.

Ermaximus
02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Ahhh that's right. Hence why the match had so many high spots. Thanks for reminding me Juan.

Evil Vito
02-01-2010, 05:16 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Really excited about this. I like Mercury.</font>

sa
02-01-2010, 05:32 PM
did he really break his nose or was it fake blood

Nicky Fives
02-01-2010, 05:34 PM
meh..... he either has to reunite or feud with Morrison, because other than that I don't see much in his future.....

CSL
02-01-2010, 05:42 PM
lol fake blood

ron the dial
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
it was an entirely fake face actually

thedamndest
02-01-2010, 05:45 PM
That match didn't even happen.

VSG
02-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Morrison needed something fresh, especially with it being clear that The Miz was getting bigger crowd responses than him. I hope they do a pairing of the two again, the tag team division is not what it was!

Ermaximus
02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
That match didn't even happen.
Why? Was Benoit involved in it?:shifty:

Juan
02-01-2010, 08:05 PM

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/309846/1692656/3749300/joey.jpg

teamXtremist
02-01-2010, 08:31 PM
yeah mercury as a single guy i dont c it as a tag teamer he was pretty good but yeah that spot was one of the most brutal ever

Lock Jaw
02-01-2010, 08:33 PM

It was blue food coloring dyed red.

Jimmy Cones
02-02-2010, 09:21 AM
It was blue food coloring dyed red.

This is a popular misconception.. foodcoloring is always red, and never blue.

foodcoloring is always red. Since foodcoloring makes up about 40-45% of our food, and food is red. Foodcoloring is red because they have a protein called hemoglobin which contains red...

The bottom line is: foodcoloring is red.

I think I tried too hard there

Mr. Nerfect
02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
I always liked Joey Mercury. During their time together, I always felt that Mercury was the all-round better performer in MNM. John Morrison has grown so much, so it would be interesting to see them either teaming or feuding again.

Mercury is still pretty young. Although he has been wrestling since a very young age, he is only 30 years old. I think he's taken over a year off from the ring, so his body may have rested up quite a bit. Good on him for working his way back into the WWE.

I'd love to see Mercury with a broody type heel gimmick, going after Morrison for "forgetting about him." I think the two could actually have a really interesting mid-card feud. That's the sort of thing that can only happen on SmackDown!.

Anybody Thrilla
02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm not disappointed about this or anything, but sometimes I wonder just what the thought process was in bringing somebody like this back. Chris Masters, Goldust, etc....you know what I mean?

Afterlife
02-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Joey Mercury comes with an automatic storyline, and I've said this before. He returns with nothing in mind but revenge. He sacrificed everything for the WWE -- even suffering disfigurement -- and with no consideration, they threw him away. Now, he vows to climb to the top, take the WHC...and then throw that away.

Droford
02-02-2010, 11:55 PM
http://www.wwe.com/content/media/images/309846/1692656/3749300/joey.jpg
looks a tad like Samoa Joe to me..dont know why

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2010, 03:26 AM
Joey Mercury comes with an automatic storyline, and I've said this before. He returns with nothing in mind but revenge. He sacrificed everything for the WWE -- even suffering disfigurement -- and with no consideration, they threw him away. Now, he vows to climb to the top, take the WHC...and then throw that away.

This angle would be magnificent. I truthfully believe this could make Joey Mercury a star right out the gate. It'd give him a bad-ass quality to him that the fans could really get all over. But the WWE seem to be afraid of getting guys over.

He'll probably return with absolutely no hype, nothing but a smile or a frown, and possibly even lose his first match.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2010, 03:28 AM
Another angle I wouldn't mind seeing, even though this is not as good as Afterlife's idea, is Joey Mercury leading a group of "forgotten tag team wrestlers." Lance Cade and Curt Hawkins remain under contract. While they wouldn't be as big as the nWo or anything like that, I think it could be pretty cool to see them showing up wherever they wanted, and beating the crap out of guys because they want to get noticed.

Jeritron
02-03-2010, 04:08 AM
I'm not disappointed about this or anything, but sometimes I wonder just what the thought process was in bringing somebody like this back. Chris Masters, Goldust, etc....you know what I mean?

Well, you gotta have low level guys and jobbers. Not everyone on the roster is going to get pushes and win their matches, or be groomed to be stars.
There's always gotta be guys collecting checks just to job on superstars, with a very small chance of being used down the line.
You're not going to have guys you want to someday push jobbing on tv. So the role has to be filled by randoms like Joey Mercury and Chris Masters, or old midcard stars like Goldust, Val Venis and Hacksaw Jim Duggan.
In a way, they're just as important to the food chain as the main eventers.

Plus I'm sure it's political too. These jobber spots are probably coveted among the guys who haven't made a lot of money in the business, and would like the good check. I'm sure they bring in workers they like, or that somebody in the chain of command likes, and give them the token pay.
I would figure that's why Goldust has been collecting a check in this role off and on for 12 years now.

Xerzes
02-03-2010, 05:10 AM
Joey Mercury comes with the same rule as Jake Roberts or Scott Hall: if he can stay sober enough that he can walk a straight line, he'll entertain. Odds are not in favor of this, however.

Mr. Nerfect
02-03-2010, 11:23 AM
To be fair to both Chris Masters and Goldust, both are very over right now.

Anybody Thrilla
02-03-2010, 11:28 AM
I actually like Chris Masters and Goldust. I wasn't saying rehiring either was a bad idea. Mercury probably won't be bad either. It just seems they always 'don't have any plans' for a guy at some point then let him go...then they'll randomly bring people back. Jeritron makes sense, but I'm picturing the meeting where somebody says that Joey Mercury should come back, and a bunch of people are like "yeah, great idea".

Ermaximus
02-03-2010, 05:13 PM
He'll probably return with absolutely no hype, nothing but a smile or a frown, and possibly even lose his first match.

To Slam Master J or Jimmy Wang Yang no less.

Mr. Nerfect
02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
I actually like Chris Masters and Goldust. I wasn't saying rehiring either was a bad idea. Mercury probably won't be bad either. It just seems they always 'don't have any plans' for a guy at some point then let him go...then they'll randomly bring people back. Jeritron makes sense, but I'm picturing the meeting where somebody says that Joey Mercury should come back, and a bunch of people are like "yeah, great idea".

Oh, don't worry, I get what you're saying. For a while I'd forget they were even on the roster. Sometimes I even find it hard to believe that Goldust has been able to hold down a job with the WWE again.

sa
02-04-2010, 08:50 PM
holy shit mercury's face was all cuts

CSL
02-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Fake cuts

Mr. Nerfect
02-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I hope they don't bring him back with the MNM gimmick. Mercury always seemed out of place playing it. It wasn't as noticeable when you had Nitro and Melina there hamming it up, but Mercury as a solo Hollywood A-Lister just wouldn't work. Give him Afterlife's gimmick.

DLVH84
02-05-2010, 01:07 PM
i heard a rumor he's going to join CM Punk's group.

Jordan
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Sickest spot ever. It would be great if he does join Punk and he brings up that he was high during that match and thats why he got so fucked up.

sa
02-05-2010, 03:09 PM
that isn't fake cuts

Afterlife
02-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Apparently, he's coming in to join the Straight Edge Society.

thedamndest
02-05-2010, 03:50 PM
I was wondering about what Thrilla was wondering about. What prompts them to re-hire a guy? Probably a few things. You've got a guy who you already know what he's capable of. Maybe he didn't work out last time because the timing was wrong. Doesn't mean he's a bad worker. He's also used to traveling. The audience knows him already.

Who knows whether the timing will be better the second or third time around? Seems like for every Goldust there are a lot more Charlie Haases.

Juan
02-05-2010, 04:07 PM

Awesome

Mr. C
02-05-2010, 10:08 PM

If Joey Mercury was saved by CM Punk, would that lead to a feud with John Morrison?

What Would Kevin Do?
02-05-2010, 10:14 PM
Him joining the straight edge society makes perfect sense. Hell, that's essentially what he did in ROH when he joined the Age of the Fall. Jimmy Jacobs went on about how Mercury was destroyed by drugs, was spiraling out of control, etc, until he was saved.

sa
02-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Yeah What Would Kevin Do? that is true that did happen.

Anybody Thrilla
02-06-2010, 12:25 AM
Apparently he had a real life problem with pain killers? That would parlay swimmingly into the Straight Edge Society.

Afterlife
02-06-2010, 02:34 AM
If Joey Mercury was saved by CM Punk, would that lead to a feud with John Morrison?

It might. Punk would talk about Mercury being wise to get saved by the SES, unlike his doomed, unsavable ex-partner who's so deep into the chemical abuses of L.A.'s underworld that he can't even win a match under his own power.

I'm sure we'll hear something to that effect.

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 02:47 AM
Personally, to me, this screams MNM Vs Miz/Big Show at mania for me.

Juan
02-06-2010, 02:49 AM
It'll be a damn shame if Morrison isn't in MiTB though

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 02:57 AM

MITB will be overcrowded this year anyway and honestly, I think he's shit

Mr. Nerfect
02-06-2010, 02:59 AM

I don't know. It seems like Kofi Kingston might be a good bet as winner this year. While having Morrison in the match would be awesome, they can put him in next year. Hell, he might be bigger than the match next year.

The Miz & Big Show vs. MNM would be a pretty awesome tag feud, and it's not like Big Show or even The Miz has anything more pressing to do. You can then have Mercury turn on Morrison down the track, joining CM Punk, Luke Gallows & Serena for the reasons people have listed.

Juan
02-06-2010, 02:59 AM
When isn't MiTB overcrowded? Plus, it's obvious Morrison is getting some kind of push, so regardless of personal feelings, I think he's a lock to be in the MiTB match.

Juan
02-06-2010, 03:00 AM
I don't want to see The Miz in a long term tag team feud. He has such momentum right now with the US Title push.

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't want to see The Miz in a long term tag team feud. He has such momentum right now with the US Title push.

This is wrestlemania, not everyone can have something amazing to do.

Juan
02-06-2010, 03:10 AM
Yeah I know, I doubt The Miz or the US Title will even make it onto the WM card

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 03:11 AM
Also, right now, being tag champ gives massive exposure as you can be on both shows

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah I know, I doubt The Miz or the US Title will even make it onto the WM card

Exactlly, but this tag would.

Also the Miz/Morrison thing never really got concluded

Juan
02-06-2010, 03:12 AM
Yeah, it's not happening. Guarantee it

Juan
02-06-2010, 03:13 AM
Highly doubt Vince is gonna put a known pain killer abuser on the WM card over people who have been busting their ass all year. Plus, it's already been reported that Mercury is gonna be joining Punk's stable.

Dave Youell
02-06-2010, 03:24 AM
Highly doubt Vince is gonna put a known pain killer abuser on the WM card over people who have been busting their ass all year. Plus, it's already been reported that Mercury is gonna be joining Punk's stable.

Oh dear god! It's already been reported? Nevermind then......

Juan
02-06-2010, 03:30 AM
Sarcasm noted

Anybody Thrilla
02-06-2010, 11:40 AM
I still can't believe Christian is the one that set up all of those 'accidents' for Jeff Hardy.

Loose Cannon
02-06-2010, 11:44 AM
yea, Mercury joining Punk would be a good fit. Granted I have never seen Punk and this Society, but I'm sure it's awesome

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah the society is pretty awesome not gonna lie. Punk has a certain je ne sais quoi that just makes you react to him and having followers is so perfect. He reminds me of Raven.

Mr. Nerfect
02-07-2010, 08:22 AM
When isn't MiTB overcrowded? Plus, it's obvious Morrison is getting some kind of push, so regardless of personal feelings, I think he's a lock to be in the MiTB match.

I would say it's likely he will be in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match, but there is always a random element about that match every year because it is pretty there to get eight guys who should be on the WrestleMania card but aren't a spot. If John Morrison had a proper feud going on, he would probably do that over his MITB spot.

Now, it's not very likely we'll see Mercury back in time for WrestleMania (wasn't Lance Cade recently re-signed, too?), but Reality Check vs. MNM for the Unified WWE Tag Team Championship could be great. I am sort of keen to see The Miz vs. Big Show for the US Title, though (which is where I think they are going with this Miz/Big Show stuff).

wehavebensavedy2j
02-07-2010, 04:00 PM
i heard a rumor he's going to join CM Punk's group.

Makes sense, he comes back said he was addicted to pain killers but CM Punk has saved him and he shaves his head

Afterlife
02-08-2010, 06:07 AM
Yep. Makes sense.