PDA

View Full Version : The Great American Bash

Boondock Saint
04-12-2004, 12:49 PM
From Wrestlezone.com...

WWE will be reviving an old WCW tradition, as their PPV for this June will be called "The Great American Bash." The event will take place on the 27th in Norfolk, Virgina

Promotional photos of Torrie Wilson dressed as Uncle Sam will be used to market the event as well. WWE also plan to promote that members of the military will be able to view the PPV for free as well.

The Great American Bash was a series of summer events promoted by Jim Crockett Promotions in the late 1980s.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure if this is confirmed, but I have to goto class. Thoughts?

SuperSlim
04-12-2004, 12:50 PM
I think it's rather stupid

Loose Cannon
04-12-2004, 12:50 PM
That's pretty interesting IMO

HBKHHH
04-12-2004, 12:51 PM
Seems more likely now that Vince will bring back WCW instead of ECW. :nono: Confidential is getting replaced too.

The Ravishing One
04-12-2004, 12:52 PM
That's pretty interesting IMO

The CyNick
04-12-2004, 01:49 PM
Its a cool idea, and the right city to do it in. They own these WCW PPV names, why not use them?

Hopefully whenever they add another PPV in Dec it will be called Starrcade.

tucsonspeed6
04-12-2004, 01:53 PM
I don't see why people think that bringing back WCW PPV names would be bad...It wasn't the names that made them bad, it was the matches. Shitty booking, bad writing, and guys who refused to sell were what killed WCW. Now that WWE is good to watch, maybe we'll see a return of good WCW too. BTW, having a third 2 hour show may just kill me. Watching two a week already has me beat. Anyone think they may be pushing this too far?

da_king
04-12-2004, 02:08 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
yeah the should definatley bring back starcade, one of the originals.

</font>

SuperSlim
04-12-2004, 02:09 PM
some of them are good... like Starrcade.. and ummm that's bout it.

The CyNick
04-12-2004, 02:12 PM
I don't see why people think that bringing back WCW PPV names would be bad...It wasn't the names that made them bad, it was the matches. Shitty booking, bad writing, and guys who refused to sell were what killed WCW. Now that WWE is good to watch, maybe we'll see a return of good WCW too. BTW, having a third 2 hour show may just kill me. Watching two a week already has me beat. Anyone think they may be pushing this too far?

there is no plan as far as I know to add another 2 hour show.

The block on Spike TV that currently airs from 10PM to midnight (Velocity/Confidential) will be changed in the beginning of May to have Velocity air on Sat at 7PM and then whatever the replacement for Confidential will be will air at 10PM. Each show will be one hour.

So even if they do add a third brand they will only get a one hour show (Sat at 10PM) unless they add another timeslot on another day.

Mr. Nerfect
04-12-2004, 03:20 PM
So my guess is that this will be SmackDown! exclusive? I guess Kurt Angle, Bradshaw, John Cena and Rene Dupree are going to be the focus. Which Lance Storm, William Regal and/or La Resistance were involved, though.

Shaggy
04-12-2004, 03:47 PM
I wonder if WWE is gonna start using a whole bunch of old WCW ppv names. Or even now adding in some ECW. Might we have Starcade or maybe perhaps they might take the whole World War 3 thing WCW had with the 3 rings. That was pretty kick ass right there.

Loose Cannon
04-12-2004, 03:49 PM
I wonder if WWE is gonna start using a whole bunch of old WCW ppv names. Or even now adding in some ECW. Might we have Starcade or maybe perhaps they might take the whole World War 3 thing WCW had with the 3 rings. That was pretty kick ass right there.

yeah, bUT WW3 is like Royal Rumble. It just has more guys and everybody starts off together. Maybe a War Games match they should bring back.

MVP
04-12-2004, 07:21 PM
I think WWE should avoid using Starrcade as one of their PPV names because that was WCW's most prestigous PPV of the year in my opinion (some people will say Superbrawl), and it's not a good idea to make it look inferior to Wrestlemania because let's face it, it will.

I'm going to mark out for Great American Bash though. :cool: I think WWE ought to revive Souled Out, Uncensored, and Bash at the Beach. That'd get some of the WCW fanbase to return.

The CyNick
04-12-2004, 07:33 PM
I think WWE should avoid using Starrcade as one of their PPV names because that was WCW's most prestigous PPV of the year in my opinion (some people will say Superbrawl), and it's not a good idea to make it look inferior to Wrestlemania because let's face it, it will.

I'm going to mark out for Great American Bash though. :cool: I think WWE ought to revive Souled Out, Uncensored, and Bash at the Beach. That'd get some of the WCW fanbase to return.

Well Starrcade is inferior to Mania, there's not much disputing that.

IF anything it would be good to use Starrcade because they could promote it as the biggest SD-only PPV of the year. Nothing wrong with that.

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-12-2004, 07:37 PM
I think its cool to use some new names, but I don't want WWE changing all their names to wcw names, thats senseless. I say use the Great American Bash for the extra July PPV, and Fully Loaded or maybe even Halloween Havoc or something for the Raw October PPV. Other than that I'd shy away from changing the names to WCW names.

Batsu
04-12-2004, 07:46 PM
You know what I'll bet the new 1 hour show will be? A "Classic Matches" show along the lines of WCW Classics on Turner South. Moving Velocity to an earlier timeslot to match up with Heat on Sundays is a good idea.

The "Classic Matches" are what a lot of people tune in to Confidential to watch anyway. They could even keep Gene Okerlund hosting it.

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-12-2004, 07:54 PM
That'd be cool, but aren't they planning an ondemand channel of classic matches and events from their library? If they are doing that I doubt they'd also do a free regular cable show, unless they wanted to promote the on demand channel through it.

Boondock Saint
04-12-2004, 08:20 PM
New Blood Rising should return.

:shifty:

Mikey
04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
yeah the should definatley bring back starcade, one of the originals.

</font>

CBright7831
04-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Starrcade
Great American Bash
Bash At the Beach
Halloween Havoc
Super Brawl

I think those were the five major WCW PPVs. Or at least they were in my opinion. I'm probably wrong on thsi, but I think Starrcade was the Wrestlemania for WCW. Either that or Super Brawl. Maybe GAB.

Hell, I'm talking out of my ass.

TazroK
04-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Bash at the Beach were always usually good PPV's. I love the whole theme of it. WCW's PPV's usually always had a different look (except the last year or 2). WWE's PPV settings are just dull, and unimaginative.

CBright7831
04-12-2004, 08:55 PM
Bash at the Beach were always usually good PPV's. I love the whole theme of it. WCW's PPV's usually always had a different look (except the last year or 2). WWE's PPV settings are just dull, and unimaginative.
Yeah, like BATB was a beach setting, GAB had a family picnic setting, and Halloween Havoc had a grave yard and a blow up Pumpkin. I always liked that.

Wondermouse
04-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Don't forget Hog Wild. It brought us such great performers as Jay Leno and Dennis Rodman.

MVP
04-12-2004, 09:16 PM
Don't forget Hog Wild. It brought us such great performers as Jay Leno and Dennis Rodman.I hope you're being sarcastic.

Wondermouse
04-12-2004, 09:18 PM
I hope you're being sarcastic.

It's the only way I know how to be.

KayfabeMan
04-13-2004, 02:55 PM
At least when WCW ran Great American Bash events,they were awesome.

Also,like it or not,Road Wild/Hog Wild events drew AMAZING publicity for 'em.

Disturbed316
04-13-2004, 04:26 PM
They should bring War Games back, but save it for an interpromotional thing.

Moongoose Mcqueen
04-13-2004, 08:54 PM
They should bring War Games back, but save it for an interpromotional thing.

Just cuz they use the war games match doesn't mean they should use the name for the ppv. I don't think they should or will change the names of their existing ppvs, just maybe consider them for the additional ppvs. Great American Bash fits well for July's extra smackdown ppv, I say its nothing more than that.

The CyNick
04-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Just cuz they use the war games match doesn't mean they should use the name for the ppv. I don't think they should or will change the names of their existing ppvs, just maybe consider them for the additional ppvs. Great American Bash fits well for July's extra smackdown ppv, I say its nothing more than that.

I think they should use War games for Survivor Series every year, RAW vs SD. I think that would be pretty sweet. It could set up some feuds that could go into the Rumble and then culminate with interpromotional matches at Mania.

CBright7831
04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
But this is the WWE. They don't take fan's opinions.

Hell, Kevin Kelly, a guy who worked there for seven years sent in tons of ideas and they only used one - the Triple H/Stephanie marraige angle.

thuganomicalcrippler
04-14-2004, 02:18 PM
Doesn't "Great American Bash" sound like Chelsea Clinton's fifth boithday party?

parkmania
04-14-2004, 06:23 PM
there is no plan as far as I know to add another 2 hour show.

The block on Spike TV that currently airs from 10PM to midnight (Velocity/Confidential) will be changed in the beginning of May to have Velocity air on Sat at 7PM and then whatever the replacement for Confidential will be will air at 10PM. Each show will be one hour.

So even if they do add a third brand they will only get a one hour show (Sat at 10PM) unless they add another timeslot on another day.

I caught a glimpse of something on SpikeTV a few days ago (I think it was during last week's RAW, but I don't remember now) - just a screenshot of the words "WWE Experience Coming May 1st (or was it 2nd). My thoughts on this are that this may very well be the name of the show that will be replacing Confidential, and that the name sounds very much like it might just be Spike's version of Tough Enough. After all, TE was a JOINT production of WWE and MTV, and MTV probably owns part of the rights to that name.

TazroK
04-14-2004, 06:28 PM
I also liked, when they use to do this outdoor event, near March Break. Someone always got thrown in a pool, or ocean. Rey vs Ric Flair match was awesome.

Tornado
04-16-2004, 01:13 PM
I also liked, when they use to do this outdoor event, near March Break. Someone always got thrown in a pool, or ocean. Rey vs Ric Flair match was awesome.
<font color=#33ffff>Wasn't that a Nitro where the ring was in the middle of a swimming pool or something?</font>

Disturbed316
04-16-2004, 02:14 PM

<font color=#33ffff>Wasn't that a Nitro where the ring was in the middle of a swimming pool or something?</font>

Yeah, it was a Nitro. Big Bossman a.k.a big bubba something got clotheslined into the pool one year, was pretty funny seeing him try to swim away.

I think they use that place during the spring breaks, thats why loads of people in the crowd had bikini's on :naughty: