PDA

View Full Version : Best in-ring story telling.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 01:57 PM
So I just whipped out the old Rise and Fall of ECW Disc 2 DVD and watched Rey Mysterio Jr vs Psycosis, 2 out of 3 falls match. Now I dunno if it was coz these guys were in their prime, coz these guys had been wrestling each other for years, coz Joey Styles was calling it lucha libre style, but man these two put on a show. Clear definition between the heel and face or rudos and técnicos. No spoilers, if u ain't seen it watch it!
So what are your best examples of in ring story telling?

Yes I'm new. Long time TPWW reader, just signed up recently, be nice plz.

Lock Jaw
02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
I think the only ones to read stories in the ring were The Rock and Eddie Guerrero. I think. I can't remember any others.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 02:10 PM
Haha did they have books?
Ya'll know what I mean.

Anybody Thrilla
02-10-2010, 02:22 PM
Goldust read Green Eggs and Ham once.

I've always been partial to Bret v. Owen at Wrestlemania X. Classic 'jumping out of the shadows' story.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Thanks Thrilla, I will have to watch that one (started watching wrestling during the monday night wars)
Was gonna mention Sabu v Scorpio (same DVD, still watching it) but these guys ares just trying to kill each other haha.

Mr. JL
02-10-2010, 02:30 PM
I would say Bret Hart versus Diesel.

The theme both played up in their interviews was Diesel's power and how the big man can end it quickly, but if Bret can keep the match going longer and longer and take out his legs then he can beat him. And I remember in the match Diesel started off strong, hitting big powerful moves and going for the early pin covers to the point where you thought he might just get the quick dominating win, but then Bret started wearing down the legs and you could see Diesel's chances fading as Bret dished out more and more offense to DIesel's legs.

Anybody Thrilla
02-10-2010, 02:31 PM
You definitely need to see Bret v. Owen. Arguably the best match ever.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Will do Thrilla, found it in 3 parts on youtube, gonna watch a bit more oldschool ECW whilst they load on my comp.

Watching RVD v Jerry Lynn from Hardcore Heaven atm

CWK
02-10-2010, 03:12 PM
Bret Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin at Wrestlemania 13. The end of a long feud, and they both made face/heel turns in the match. Can't think of a better story being told. Its equal may be the Shawn Michaels vs. Ric Flair match at Wrestlemania 24.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 03:15 PM
Hart V Austin was great. I wasn't watching regularly at that point but rented it out just for that match. Very good. Bloodstone!!

Vastardikai
02-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Bret vs Bulldog at SS '92 is another great match that told a good story in-ring.

Interesting how many of these matches include Bret Hart.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Thrilla!...Wow...
Very good match, exactly what I was looking for. The end in particular. Awesome commentary aswell. McMahon was so face haha, weird.

Gonna hit up Bret v Bulldog SS'92, i'll get back to ya Vas

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 04:00 PM
Ooh IC title match, very mixed reaction from the crowd for Bret although Vince plays is up to be awesome even tho there's British flags everywhere, will look up where this was held soon but right now.. here we go!

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 04:04 PM
Ah Vince just said Wemby stadium, hell yeh, this is when the IC title was built around fueds and meant something. Crowds are crazy! The hell, is that Bobby Heenan on commentary? Whoa...

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Haha found Bret v Bulldog part 2 and Bulldog had lost his dreads haha, damnit gonna keep looking for the original, was enjoying it.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Damn! Sorry Vastardikai... I enjoyed the first ten minutes but couldn't find the rest. Just got matches from years later. Lame. Thanks for the suggestion tho, if u can find parts 2 and 3 of that match, hit me!

Spaff
02-10-2010, 05:59 PM
Damn! Sorry Vastardikai... I enjoyed the first ten minutes but couldn't find the rest. Just got matches from years later. Lame. Thanks for the suggestion tho, if u can find parts 2 and 3 of that match, hit me!

stop ass licking and replyin to yoursef:nono:

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 06:18 PM
ok

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
any decent story telling matches Spaff? It's ok i'm way behind u in posts, don't be threatened by my genuine interest in wrestling matches

el bobbo
02-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Goldust read Green Eggs and Ham once.

The Artist formerly known as Goldust...

http://thewrestlefanrunner.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/goldust3vt22.jpg

I wish they had shit like this on Raw again.

LewisTheTruest
02-10-2010, 07:35 PM
How the mighty have fallen........ I guess

Damian Rey
02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
I would say Bret Hart versus Diesel.

The theme both played up in their interviews was Diesel's power and how the big man can end it quickly, but if Bret can keep the match going longer and longer and take out his legs then he can beat him. And I remember in the match Diesel started off strong, hitting big powerful moves and going for the early pin covers to the point where you thought he might just get the quick dominating win, but then Bret started wearing down the legs and you could see Diesel's chances fading as Bret dished out more and more offense to DIesel's legs.

Is this their match where Bret uses a t.v. or camera cable from outside the ring to tie Diesel up in the corner and begins to pummel him when the b ig man can't get loose? If so, I remember this spot, and I also remeber Bret garnering some heel heat from the crowd for that.

Loose Cannon
02-10-2010, 10:13 PM
I believe yes. Survivor Serie 96 if I recall

Loose Cannon
02-10-2010, 10:19 PM
there's so many. One match that comes to mind where storytelling basically had to take over the match (99% thanks to Savage) was Warrior vs Savage at Mania 7. Macho perfected that match and it told a great story to finally end the feud. I could watch this match over and over. love it

Damian Rey
02-10-2010, 10:24 PM
there's so many. One match that comes to mind where storytelling basically had to take over the match (99% thanks to Savage) was Warrior vs Savage at Mania 7. Macho perfected that match and it told a great story to finally end the feud. I could watch this match over and over. love it

This is his retirement match correct? You'll have to excuse me as it's been a while since I relived any early to mid 90s WWE. If that's the match, then yes, completely agree. Warrior's best match imho.

Loose Cannon
02-10-2010, 10:25 PM
yep, correct

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-10-2010, 10:50 PM
diesel vs. bret is 1995 survivor series

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-10-2010, 10:51 PM
HHH vs. Cactus Jack from the rumble in 2000 tells a great story.

Jeritron
02-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Jericho and Michaels at Wrestlemania 19

The way they anticipate, and steal eachothers spots. There's this constant back and forth in attempts to one up eachother.
The way Jericho tries to surpass Michaels by being his student is great.

Loose Cannon
02-10-2010, 10:59 PM
yep you're right, Austin/Bret is 96. my bad

Swiss Ultimate
02-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Steamboat VS. Macho Man...
Not sure about the specifics...

Supreme Olajuwon
02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
<object width="480" height="365"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x32jse"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/x32jse" width="480" height="365" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object><br /><b><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x32jse_magnum-ta-vs-tully-blanchard-steel_sport">Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard - Steel Cage I Quit Match</a></b><br /><i>Uploaded by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/WordLife19">WordLife19</a>. - <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/us/channel/sport">Discover the latest sports and extreme videos.</a></i>

Damian Rey
02-11-2010, 01:09 AM
Jericho and Michaels at Wrestlemania 19

The way they anticipate, and steal eachothers spots. There's this constant back and forth in attempts to one up eachother.
The way Jericho tries to surpass Michaels by being his student is great.

This was another one. Great match. The post match ending was icing on the cake.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-11-2010, 09:34 AM
wow that cage match was fucking nuts.

Gertner
02-11-2010, 10:01 AM
So I just whipped out the old Rise and Fall of ECW Disc 2 DVD and watched Rey Mysterio Jr vs Psycosis, 2 out of 3 falls match. Now I dunno if it was coz these guys were in their prime, coz these guys had been wrestling each other for years, coz Joey Styles was calling it lucha libre style, but man these two put on a show. Clear definition between the heel and face or rudos and técnicos. No spoilers, if u ain't seen it watch it!
So what are your best examples of in ring story telling?

Yes I'm new. Long time TPWW reader, just signed up recently, be nice plz.

I hope you die.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-11-2010, 10:32 AM
Honestly that cage match would hold up to today's standards, simply because of raw intensity. People don't show that kind of intensity anymore, it is usually extremely contrived, whereas in that match it was 2 bad dudes who "despised one another".

St. Jimmy
02-11-2010, 01:35 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeYW9zmuaew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MeYW9zmuaew&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aljk4lTuYS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Aljk4lTuYS8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>