PDA

View Full Version : What's the learning curve on Marvel vs Capcom 2?

Kane Knight
02-11-2010, 04:13 PM
Okay, like, I really haven't played much of the vs series. Or really, anything. I picked up the demo on the XBLA because it's discounted this week, but the "how to play" seems kind of dense compared to a lot of the other shit. So I spent ten minutes goofing around with a friend and some of it's obviously familiar, but I'm wondering how much the rest of the game takes to catch on.

The Jayman
02-11-2010, 04:22 PM
not a lot really. I would just go into Training mode and just practice with the controls. Most of everyone's moves/combos are the same button sequences

Kane Knight
02-11-2010, 09:09 PM
Sweet. Thanks. :D

Krow
02-11-2010, 09:40 PM
You know where you could also go to get some good practice in? 2000.

RoXer
02-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Leave him alone Kalyx.

Be the bigger man.

Kalyx triaD
02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
Leave him alone Kalyx.

Be the bigger man.

What? I don't do that sock shit, RoXer, please.

MvC2 has the 'Hunter Combo' style for all characters. Two weak hits then the fierce is everyone's three hit target combo. You know that most Capcom fighters have six buttons and this has four attack buttons, the traditional medium attacks strike out when you connect two weak attack inputs. Some medium and fierce attacks are launchers, we'll get to that in a sec. Basically, just think X, X, Y!

MvC2 has Special and Super Cancels. You can cancel any normal hit into a special or super move to create a combo. You can also cancel specials into supers. For instance you can do Spidey's low fierce punch normal (a good poke) to web swing special to Maximum Spider super. You cannot go backwards in this chain, but if you have enough meters in your super bar, you can chain up to three supers so long as you have tag partners in the game.

Another convention is aerial rave combos. All characters have a pop up attack, you can either find their unique one of do the universal d/f fierce punch or kick attack. A red circular shock wave will appear on the floor for these pop-ups and you can jump after your enemy to continue the combo (often a Hunter Combo in the air).

Now go beat RoXer Jesus Christ he sucks.

Krow
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Yeah, RoXer! Give credit for the horribly-executed smart remarks where it's due!

That really was terrible, in hindsight.

Kane Knight
02-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Yeah, RoXer! Give credit for the horribly-executed smart remarks where it's due!

That really was terrible, in hindsight.

Yeah, you know when that comment would have been witty?

<s>never</s> 1995.