PDA

View Full Version : DISCUSSION - Would the WWE, and Edge, benefit from an E&C re-union? (a la DX style?)

Heyman
02-12-2010, 02:06 PM
DISCUSSION - Would the WWE, and Edge, benefit from an E&C re-union? (a la DX style?)

Back in 2006, we saw how the WWE decided to re-unite Degeneration X. One can argue that this allowed Triple H to become more accepted as a face...and also helped DX create "hilarious" skits that anyone under the age of 12 would find "hilarious." :shifty:

With DX possibly on the verge of splitting up, could the WWE use another 'dynamic duo' that enjoyed great success with one another in the past? (in terms of promo's, entertainment value, etc.). More importantly - IF the WWE are interested in having Edge be a top face in the company, then would aligning him with Christian be a smart move? Would a re-alignment with Edge also help Christian out?

For those that are wondering - I am NOT suggesting that E&C re-unite as a tag team on a full-time basis. I am suggesting that they basically have an arrangement that was similar to what we saw from DX over these past few years (i.e. tag from time to time, focus on singles when it matters most, achieve individual glory, etc.). Maybe it's my personal opinion, but I also believe that a re-united Edge and Christian would be FAR more entertaining than DX (whether it's targetting the PG crowd as faces, or acting like heelish jackasses as they did back in the day).

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2010, 02:09 PM
I think an Edge & Christian reunion would be great, but not right now.

Edge has just won the Rumble and is obviously doing his own thing right now, and with ECW ending soon Christian has had an amazing run as ECW Champ which will hopefully lead to a good push on Smackdown.

My main concern for a reunion is that it'd be too similar to DX. Whilst seeing E&C together again, after a week or two it'd be no different than the pranks etc DX were pulling, only if E&C ever face DX we all know who'd come out of that match the winner.

Maybe a one-night thing, and then just have them be allies afterwards would be pretty cool (which is pretty much what you suggested). But a full return right now wouldn't work. For me anyway.

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2010, 02:11 PM
For the record, I don't think WWE would benefit much from it.

Heyman
02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
I think an Edge & Christian reunion would be great, but not right now.

Edge has just won the Rumble and is obviously doing his own thing right now, and with ECW ending soon Christian has had an amazing run as ECW Champ which will hopefully lead to a good push on Smackdown.

My main concern for a reunion is that it'd be too similar to DX. Whilst seeing E&C together again, after a week or two it'd be no different than the pranks etc DX were pulling, only if E&C ever face DX we all know who'd come out of that match the winner.

Maybe a one-night thing, and then just have them be allies afterwards would be pretty cool (which is pretty much what you suggested). But a full return right now wouldn't work. For me anyway.

Good post. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1) I think Christian being 'aligned' with the 'top dawg' on Smackdown would only help his cause...atleast for the time being.

2) While E&C could be way too similar to DX, is that necessarily a bad thing? Keep in mind - that the WWE's main audience are kids around the age of 12. As much as most of us dislike the current DX, their merchandise, etc. are selling like hotcakes for the 8-12 year old demographic. If DX go their seperate ways, then E&C could easily fill that gap.

Between now and Wrestlemania, I would keep Edge by himself. I particularly liked redoneja's idea in the other thread, where he suggested that Edge be a 'tweener' type guy. After Wrestlemania, the WWE can then explore the idea of E&C re-aligning.

The One
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM
In terms of "alliances" I'd like to see more of those across the board. It's always somewhat bothered me when two superstars who were tag mates for years split off, and then never interact with one another again. The idea to have them in a somewhat DX capacity isn't bad, especially since I think E&C could shovel some merch on top of their individual sales. So, yes. I think it would be great if they continued with the fact that they are best friends/brothers (god it pissed me off when they started saying they were friends after years of calling them brothers). They both have their own programs, their own feuds, their own lives...but that doesn't mean they can't occasionally tag with one another and still have their lives interwoven.

And DX wasn't the first team WWE has done that with in recent years; they also did a great job of it when Jeff and Matt Hardy were WWE and ECW Champion respectively. Same thing, they are close, but their focus isn't on the tag straps. (By the way, I would have been VERY happy to never see DX win the tag belts...they didn't need them, and it's not what their group was about)

TOVO Fact: Tovo prefers chess to checkers.

parkmania
02-12-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm first in line to buy the new E&C Kazoo.

Unfortunately, the E&C cologne would never sell... because it Reeks!

The One
02-12-2010, 03:04 PM
Sometimes Awesomeness isn't an appropriate scent...

TOVO Fact: Tovo has decided he is going to "go green" and minimize his carbon footprint.

thedamndest
02-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I think Christian would benefit much more than Edge would. I also wouldn't want to see them suddenly revert back to their year 2000 personas and completely drop 9 years of character development. Maybe they could get out a kazoo and do some poses for old time's sake, but I think they should more or less stay who they are.

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Y'know what I reckon would be quite funny is if they cut some kinda 'reunion promo' or summit, and Christian pulled out the kazoo for 'old times sake' and Edge is kinda like 'WTF I stopped doing that years ago'.

Nicky Fives
02-12-2010, 05:00 PM
yes they would if it was done correctly..... but I don't see them handling it in the way they should.....

Fignuts
02-12-2010, 05:12 PM
Honestly, I'd love to see a DX vs E&C match.

Favre4Ever
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I think this would be great, mostly because they are both considered to be at "main event status" now. The other major tag teams in the WWE right now are also composed of higher-up stars as opposed to lower mid card talent, and most of the members of those teams have found ways to be in the group AND maintain a singles career. E&C would be a great addition to toss into the RAW mix IMO.

Favre4Ever
02-12-2010, 05:51 PM
After 'Mania that is.

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Honestly, I'd love to see a DX vs E&C match.

I'll go ahead and tell you the results now: DX wins.

Krow
02-12-2010, 06:16 PM
Nah. It'd be cool to see once or twice, but why revert two established singles stars to a gimmick that's been on the shelf for almost 9 years? Sure, that attitude is still part of the core of each character, but can you really see Edge going from Rated-R Superstar to playing Kurt Angle's theme on kazoo again (re: Rammsteinmad)? It'd seem contrived, and if George Lucas, Michael Jordan, and Jay Leno have taught us anything, trying to go back to what made you popular, even iconic, tends to taint the legacy.

Let them do their own thing, and if they run into one another, it'd be a neat little nod to the past. But don't reunite them.

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Nah. It'd be cool to see once or twice, but why revert two established singles stars to a gimmick that's been on the shelf for almost 9 years? Sure, that attitude is still part of the core of each character, but can you really see Edge going from Rated-R Superstar to playing Kurt Angle's theme on kazoo again (re: Rammsteinmad)? It'd seem contrived, and if George Lucas, Michael Jordan, and Jay Leno have taught us anything, trying to go back to what made you popular, even iconic, tends to taint the legacy.

Let them do their own thing, and if they run into one another, it'd be a neat little nod to the past. But don't reunite them.

Sorry, I can't tell if your agreeing with my post or not. Edge wouldn't play the kazoo, hence the 'WTF you doing man?' comment. Some of Christians promos recently have been both serious and funny, which is why he could pull out a kazoo for nostalgia to have Edge shoot him down.

Afterlife
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I'll go ahead and tell you the results now: DX wins.

Kinda like DX vs. Showmiz.

Afterlife
02-12-2010, 06:43 PM
Sorry, I can't tell if your agreeing with my post or not. Edge wouldn't play the kazoo, hence the 'WTF you doing man?' comment. Some of Christians promos recently have been both serious and funny, which is why he could pull out a kazoo for nostalgia to have Edge shoot him down.

This really is perfect. E&C were a fantastic tag team, and now that both men have evolved, they could be "unstoppable". I'd say if it happens this year, it'd make SummerSlam very interesting. And like DX, I'd keep it a possibility to team up as long as both are face or heel. But I don't think they'd have to revert to anything to make it work.

Krow
02-12-2010, 07:32 PM

That was kind of vague, sorry. That idea is definitely more reasonable than what I mentioned. I was referencing your post, more or less, since you'd mentioned the kazoo thing. Who could forget something that fucking brilliant/stupid?

But I'm not really keen on an E&C reunion whatsoever, and having Christian pull out a kazoo might go a little too far in the goofy direction. Maybe have Edge slap the kazoo out of his hand, and Christian storm off. Then Edge look around, pick it up, and play it for a second, then shake his head and throw it away.

Krow
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Although, from a marketing standpoint, it could bank.

Gerard
02-12-2010, 07:43 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AvJDoovyThA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AvJDoovyThA&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:yes:

RatedGSuperstar
02-13-2010, 01:32 AM
Have Christian go to SmackDown when ECW is done, but keep them away from each other's storylines until the second half of 2010 or later. Edge finds himself in some kind of a 2-on-1 feud (Punk and Gallows, maybe?), needs a mystery partner to even the odds, and pull the routine where it looks like Edge almost has to go into a handicap match before Christian's music hits.

Incredibly predictable, but it would be what everyone wants in that situation, and it would be awesome.

Arnold HamNegger
02-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Have Christian go to SmackDown when ECW is done, but keep them away from each other's storylines until the second half of 2010 or later. Edge finds himself in some kind of a 2-on-1 feud (Punk and Gallows, maybe?), needs a mystery partner to even the odds, and pull the routine where it looks like Edge almost has to go into a handicap match before Christian's music hits.

I like this and I'd like it even better if it was Punk and Mercury. I'd like to see Mercury's reaction in a meeting being told "Welcome back...now your first PPV match is another Tag Team Ladder match." :lol:

Anything with Edge and Christian together is gold.

Skippord
02-13-2010, 02:37 AM
Y'know what I reckon would be quite funny is if they cut some kinda 'reunion promo' or summit, and Christian pulled out the kazoo for 'old times sake' and Edge is kinda like 'WTF I stopped doing that years ago'.
Edge never played the kazoo anyway :roll:

dronepool
02-13-2010, 02:54 AM
If they do the whole "for the benefit of those with flash photography" thing, I'd be amused.

Mr. Nerfect
02-13-2010, 04:23 AM
I would LOVE to see it. Not right now, but I could see them teasing it between now and WrestleMania with some backstage interactions. But here is how it could help all parties involved:

Edge: My biggest concern with Edge is that his "ARGH! I'm Edge!" character never seems to last long as a face. I do like that they're not just throwing away the past six years he has spent as an intense mother-fucker, but there could be a peaceful calm to Edge now that he has achieved everything there is to achieve in the WWE; or a bit of a zen about The Rated-R Superstar since he missed out on some ring time. Christian could help Edge really dig a niche as a face, like Shawn Michaels did with Triple H. I don't think Edge should scrap his current character, but I would not mind seeing it grow more with his brother back by his side -- even if it is as the straight-man to Christian's goofball.

Christian: Captain Charisma gets a boost in credibility by teaming with Edge. Christian, like it or not, is not on the same level as the main event guys in the WWE. He should be, but he's not. By teaming with Edge, Christian would not only solidify his own popularity, but suddenly he would be an impact player.

WWE: Nostalgia sells. Edge & Christian moved some merchandise as heels back in the day. They could definitely move some as faces (I'm actually trying to remember them playing face characters, and I just can't seem to remember it -- apart from maybe their Brood days; but that was a different gimmick entirely). E&C remind me of an era that I very fondly remember. Of that era, I didn't realise it at the time, but Edge & Christian were perhaps the most entertaining thing about it. They were amazing heels, but they were just fun.

I don't think an Edge & Christian reunion would draw people in, but wrestling is in a slump anyway. I think that seeing two men being extremely entertaining together would be enough reason to keep watching, though, and that is always a good thing.

One thing I loved about Edge & Christian, was just how deceptively menacing they were as a tag team. They seemed like jokes and such, but at the time, they had won more Tag Team Championships than any team in WWE history, and they would pretty much win every Ladder Match they were in with The Hardys and The Dudleys. They won 3/4 with both teams involved, actually, if I recall.

God, I miss Edge & Christian. Even if they do have Christian as the Hamish and Edge as the Andy (Australian comedy duo reference for ya), then they could still work. They were almost like that anyway back in the day. Edge was the "big brother" and Christian was the "little brother" and it worked. Bring back that dynamic, with Christian cracking the funnies, and Edge doing the same for a little while before saying "This is serious, Christian" and switching to some more serious tones.

You could even give them a "Canadian Boondock Saints" type gimmick. I dunno. Edge & Christian would work, I know that much. They just have too much chemistry and history not to. Just don't over-produce them. They should be closer to a face version of John Morrison & The Miz than DX in how they are treated. But I feel that had more to do with the RAW/SmackDown! divide than anything. Here's hoping E&C would be on SmackDown!.

If the WWE put out an Edge & Christian CD -- I would so totally buy it. Something like that could really get the fans into a Copeland family reunion, as well.

Mr. Nerfect
02-13-2010, 04:24 AM
If they put them back together -- do it in Toronto. That's all I'm going to say. I think the fans there would eat it up, mark out for the catchphrases and stuff.

Poit
02-14-2010, 01:48 AM
It would reek of awesomeness.

Tazz Dan
02-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Noid, I totally want to rep you for the Hamish and Andy call, but I'm posting from my phone and it won't allow it. I will later though. :D