PDA

View Full Version : A WAY better PPV idea than "Fatal Four Way"

Favre4Ever
02-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Which is so retarded I'm about to puke up these two Five Guys burgers I ate. And I love Five Guys.

I've thought for a long time that the WWE would have nothing to lose and everything to gain by having a "Deadly Games" type tournament on PPV annually. First of all this sort of event would be a great platform to not only elevate mid-card talent but even lower-card talent. New feuds create themselves so quickly that they would practically write themselves. In addition, I think the bracket-type tournament system is a great device for keeping the home audience involved and "emotionally invested" in what's going on.

I may just be saying this because that Survivor Series was one of my all time favorite PPV's. But if they are scrapping most of the ones that have been mainstays and creating brilliant themes like "FATAL FOUR WAY!", how could it hurt to try this?

Xero
02-18-2010, 09:45 PM
Would definitely be better than what they're planning.

Was going to make my own thread on custom gimmick PPVs, but I guess I'll put it here.

Three Stages of Hell - A tournament PPV. Four matches to start, they're singles matches. Second round (matches five and six) are street fights. The main event is a cage match.

This puts the gimmick of a tournament combined with gimmick matches, which seems to be what WWE has a hard on for at the moment.

Favre4Ever
02-18-2010, 09:47 PM
^ :y:

Favre4Ever
02-18-2010, 09:52 PM
I think what bugs me the most is something you were talking about earlier- gimmick matches always had more weight because they were surprising when the were unveiled. When Vince revealed that Trips was going to have to deal with Jericho....IN HELL IN A CELL BAH GAWD!!!, it was the surprise that added some degree of novelty to the match. However, if Jericho and Triple H were feuding around that time and six months prior I knew there would be a "Hell in a Cell" themed PPV on that date, a little bit of the shockwave is taken out of it.

It's like surprise returns. When The Undertaker shows up out of nowhere after being gone for eight months because of injury and he's suddenly a demon biker with no explanation, you're like "Holy shit!". But if that had been preceded by two months of shitty vignettes of him saying he's coming back, like they often do now, I feel like that takes the air out of the whole thing.

This is a roundabout way of saying that "Fatal Four Way" is a shit PPV name and they should use my idea.

kareru
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
heres the twist.

there will be no 4 way matches on the card at all

Xero
02-18-2010, 09:58 PM
On the vignette point, I have a bigger problem when they had Jericho and Bischoff's return/debut. Both were shown on-screen before the big debut, taking a huge chunk out of the excitement.

This affected Bischoff's pop more because him in WWE was one of those "never gonna happen" moments.

However, it just completely destroyed the concept they had with Jericho, with the code being broken, revealing "Save_Us.Y2J" AFTER Jericho was shown on-screen.

Favre4Ever
02-18-2010, 10:05 PM
The Bischoff backstage stuff definitely would have been better after the fact. Still like Booker T's reaction to this day though.

"Tell me......I did NOT.......just see that."

Rammsteinmad
02-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah after reading all the reports I'm seriously starting to consider giving up on WWE after Wrestlemania. I don't watch Raw/Smackdown/ECW (Only highlights on Youtube), and only watch the PPVs. But in all fairness, seeing upcoming events named after matches just really doesn't impress me. I mean, 'WWE Fatal Four Way'?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!

All the themed PPV's so far IMO have been awful. 'Hell in a Cell', 'TLC', 'Breaking Point', they've been fucking terrible and left me regretting staying up till 4AM on a college day. 'Elimination Chamber' looks pretty sweet, but in todays WWE PG environment, I await another disapointment.

'Fatal-Four-Way' could be great as I love FFW matches, and it's a great way to fill up the card with lots of talent, but c'mon, to flat out call the event 'WWW Fatal-Four-Way'...

Wrestlemania had better be fucking good this year, coz I'm finding it harder and harder to tolerate this.

Whew went on a bit of a rant there...

Triple Naitch
02-18-2010, 10:56 PM
Two 5 Guys Burgers? I'm impressed.

Anybody Thrilla
02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
None of us have any idea what's actually going to be on the Fatal Four Way card at this point. Why don't we all just settle the fuck down?

Favre4Ever
02-18-2010, 11:54 PM
Two 5 Guys Burgers? I'm impressed.

I'm a pig :(.

Droford
02-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Fatal 4 Way is really all 4 corners bull rope matches, except that if they dont hit the corners in the correct pattern the ring blows up and they die.

GoneFishing
02-19-2010, 11:34 AM
Fatal Four Way...... Fatal For WWE, better title.

The next thing you know, we're going to have "Handicapped Danger"..... maybe I shouldn't have said that in case they're watching.....

Jimmy Cones
02-19-2010, 11:41 AM
I wish they had more elimination style matches.

I agree that they would do better to not announce the matches prior to the event since it takes the surprise out.

This thread has made me hungry for hamburgers.

Ermaximus
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Fatal Four Way still sounds more interesting then WWE Wild Card. I mean, how do you do a "wild card" PPV?

"Ok so here's tonight's wild card lineup:
R-Truth will be facing John Cena.
Goldust will be facing HHH for the WWE Title.
Kofi Kingston will be facing Hornswoggle.
Chavo and Primo will be facing ShowMiz Pizza for the unified tag titles.
Edge will be facing Slam Master J and Jimmy Wang Yang for the WHC.
CM Punk will be wrestling Luke Gallows.
Drew McIntyre will defend his IC Title against Todd Grisham.
Lastly, the diva's will have a random match. Who cares what happens, you just have 2 minutes ladies and McCool wins.

Have a great show!"

They need to give up on these gimmick PPV's. Nobody cares anymore.

addy2hotty
02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
'In an amazing twist, John Cena drew himself in this Sunday's WWE Wild Card draw and will defend his title TONIGHT against John Cena! Can Cena defeat the odds yet again against an opponent
determined to defeat the odds yet again.

Make sure you tune in to see the MOST controversial WWE Champion of all time defend his title against possibly the MOST controversial WWE Superstar of all time!

Other matches are not scheduled as yet due to possible time constraints.'

Jeritron
02-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the American Cena Jokes have run their course...

parkmania
02-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I love Five Guys.

And the choir says AMEN!

To pull the Fatal Four Way PPV back from the edge, I wonder how close to the "season end" of NXT we'll be when it hits. I could see matches set up a bit like Bragging Rights: 1 Raw guy, 1 Smackdown guy, 1 NXT "Pro" and 1 NXT "Rookie".

BigDaddyCool
02-19-2010, 02:38 PM
5 Guy's Burgers suck ass.

Swiss Ultimate
02-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Anybody know what the buy-rates have been like?

rob11
02-21-2010, 02:18 PM
The Bischoff backstage stuff definitely would have been better after the fact. Still like Booker T's reaction to this day though.

"Tell me......I did NOT.......just see that."
When you listen to the crowd when Bischoff walks up to Booker, you hear a reaction so rarely heard. Actual shock. It was kind of killed when he came out, but the crowd's reaction when hes first seen in the back was priceless.

Afterlife
02-21-2010, 06:01 PM
I don't mind gimmick ppvs. I liked real Survivor Series shows, and I LOVE the Royal Rumble.

What I dislike is trying to build an entire ppv around a match type -- especially a match type that's not rare, like "Fatal Four-Way".

The Franchise
02-21-2010, 06:35 PM

They got old in 2007

Triple Naitch
02-21-2010, 06:38 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Fatal Four Way type one night tournament PPV. Just like ECW did sometimes. Start the night with a fatal four way, then the guy who gets pinned is eliminated. Then have a triple threat, and then the same thing, culminating with a one on one match for the championship. It may get old though, so they may have to add a few stipulations to keep it fresh.

owenbrown
02-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Cena IS a joke

parkmania
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a Fatal Four Way type one night tournament PPV. Just like ECW did sometimes. Start the night with a fatal four way, then the guy who gets pinned is eliminated. Then have a triple threat, and then the same thing, culminating with a one on one match for the championship. It may get old though, so they may have to add a few stipulations to keep it fresh.

1st elimination by any means (pinfall, submission, countout)
2nd elimination by either of the two means NOT used the first time
3rd elimination by the last remaining sort.