TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   I don't get Nakamura (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=131914)

Rammsteinmad 07-19-2016 12:45 PM

I don't get Nakamura

Like, he's solid as fuck in the ring, and has a unique sense of charisma about himself, especially his mannerisms...

But I just don't "get" it. He's good, but the internet seem to make him out to be the second coming of Christ. His entrance is cool... but it feels like everyone else has an orgasmic experience out of it, whilst I'm just like :wave:

Surely I'm not the only one? What's the mass appeal of Shinsuke? And what's so amazing about his entrance that I'm not experiencing?

Ol Dirty Dastard 07-19-2016 12:47 PM

People just think he's cool in a wrestling world where very little is actually cool

Big Vic 07-19-2016 01:17 PM

I don't either can someone cool post good videos of him?

Innovator 07-19-2016 01:28 PM

Well we can't all be perfect

My Final Heaven 07-19-2016 02:19 PM

It's the same situation is Sasha Banks, people pop a load all over their screens every time she comes out with her "Female Kanye" gimmick. All she's really accomplished so far has been being the Xpac of the Four Horsewomen. I think 'net fans have a sort of "radar" for a latent gene that certain wrestlers have that makes them defend them like they're the Final Fantasy VII of the wrestling world :|

My Final Heaven 07-19-2016 02:24 PM

And what is it that makes the Banks Statement the most devastating wrestling hold ever invented in the history of everything?

It's just the presentation of it LOL. Sasha screws up her face & pulls back in on the Crossface in that convoluted way, with her pink extensions and her Bling glasses and her BOSS knuckles & every fan on Facebook is all ":drool::drool::drool:"

:rofl:

Fignuts 07-19-2016 02:29 PM

Banks is the most talented of the four horsewomen. Kind of a toss up between her and becky if you're talking in ring ability, but of the 4, she's the most comfortable on tne mic. She just has more of "the whole package" than any other woman on the roster right now.

My Final Heaven 07-19-2016 02:39 PM

I'm still waiting on that WWE Films remake of Bringing Down the House, starring William Regal and Sasha.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....1umEeFQ1hL.jpg

#BROKEN Hasney 07-19-2016 02:56 PM

My girlfriend in her uni halls got dragged to a WM event and hated it. I showed her Nakamura V Zayn and she got why I liked it and thought he was a level above.

He is the Freddie Mercury of wrestling for me. Yeah people can wrestle like him like people could sing like Freddie, but that physical charisma that you can't teach just goes a long way.

Triple A 07-19-2016 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Final Heaven (Post 4835025)
It's the same situation is Sasha Banks, people pop a load all over their screens every time she comes out with her "Female Kanye" gimmick. All she's really accomplished so far has been being the Xpac of the Four Horsewomen. I think 'net fans have a sort of "radar" for a latent gene that certain wrestlers have that makes them defend them like they're the Final Fantasy VII of the wrestling world :|

Sasha Banks has been pretty boring in WWE so far, but feels like every match I have seen with her in NXT was freaking sweet... I guess cause they give them more time or something on NXT, or maybe the matches were just "booked" better or w/e. Feels like most WWE women's matches are the same shit. Bayley also... all her matches seem really good... and feels like she would be "absolutely ruined" way more than Sasha on the main roster

Droford 07-19-2016 03:16 PM

I saw Nakamura wrestle for NJPW last year in a tag match with Okada vs the Briscoes at ROH War of the Worlds. The only other exposure I had at that point to NJPW was sitting up late watching WK9 Last year.

Part of me thinks he's over for the specific reason that yes he's great but up until last year there was only a small subset of the wrestling fan base (fans of Japanese wrestling) who saw him wrestle. Its still sort of like that now with him on NXT..

Simple Fan 07-19-2016 03:16 PM

To me it's a factor of realism. Whether your talking about Nakkamura or Sasha Banks. Nakamura brings it in the ring and that is something that draws me to him. His charisma is through the roof and hethere fans invested in seeing him. For Sasha it's a lot of the same things. She is by far the best in the ring between her, Charlotte, Becky, and Bayley. Her character is the best in the women's division and people like good characters.

The Condor 07-19-2016 07:46 PM

I don't get it either. He is Asian Prince in wrestling gear and kicks a lot. That's it.

drave 07-19-2016 08:04 PM

He's the only person I know who has a black belt in pro wrestling. That means something!

Ol Dirty Dastard 07-19-2016 08:09 PM

I like Shinsuke, not so hot on Sasha. I find him being compared to her offends me.

Frank Drebin 07-19-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Condor (Post 4835091)
I don't get it either. He is Asian Prince in wrestling gear and kicks a lot. That's it.

This breaks my heart

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 04:41 AM

He's got more charisma than just about anyone else in wrestling today.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 04:43 AM

I don't like Sasha Banks as much as most. I think she works well in NXT, but I wish she'd go back there. She's boring as fuck on the main roster. The only reason people are into her is because of her NXT work.

The main roster women's division should probably only be Charlotte, Paige, Bayley and Nattie, as much as it pains to cut Becky from that list. Becky at least seems to be somewhat over, but they've cooled her by constantly having her lose.

Simple Fan 07-20-2016 11:27 AM

I don't get Bayley. I just don't see anything in her for the main roster. She is just ok in the ring and her mic work is poor. I've said it a few times but I believe the main roster would overwhelm her to much. I don't feel like the hugging gimmick will get over on the main rosters either. NXT over hypes a lot of talent and I believe she is one of them.

Hanso Amore 07-20-2016 11:49 AM

I dont see it. I watched his takeover match against Zayn. Great in the ring. But I see alot of his movements and poses as very awkward to the typical fan.

I can totally see a large chunk of the average audience wondering who the weird Asian guy is.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 11:49 AM

In Noid's world, the women's division would be at its best if it was Kelly Kelly, Maryse, Aksana, Ashley Massaro, Rosa Mendez and the Bellas just passing the divas belt around every month in bathroom break matches during a ppv.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewAllenHanso (Post 4835934)
I dont see it. I watched his takeover match against Zayn. Great in the ring. But I see alot of his movements and poses as very awkward to the typical fan.

I can totally see a large chunk of the average audience wondering who the weird Asian guy is.

Yeah, everyone should just mimic each other. Also no Asians.

Hanso Amore 07-20-2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4835937)

Because that is exactly what I said.

You ever wonder why Nickelback outsells The Black Keys?

Doesnt mean they are better.

But not everything works to a large, dumb audience.

Sure, be different. But dont expect everyone to get it or like it.

KIRA 07-20-2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatthewAllenHanso (Post 4835952)
Because that is exactly what I said.

You ever wonder why Nickelback outsells The Black Keys?

Doesnt mean they are better.

But not everything works to a large, dumb audience.

Sure, be different. But dont expect everyone to get it or like it.

This is my biggest fear concerning Nakamura(Balor to a lesser degree) on the main roster I'm so afraid Vince is going to Fandango him or something because he thinks oversimplifying someone is the best way to get them over so Nakamura goes from being awesome to just very very stereotypical Asian guy. Triple H at least gets that not everything has to be dumbed down for people to like it but Vince and probably Steph are convinced the audience is stupid.

The Condor 07-20-2016 03:27 PM

We had this discussion a while ago, but the hardcore fans who lionize Nakamura, Balor, Sasha, NXT, et al... are a small pie piece of WWE's total audience, and therefore it's business. They all deserve an opportunity, but if they don't click it's just because the broader audience isn't looking for what the hardcore fans like. for example, Jim Duggan was shit in the ring and quasi-mentally challenged, but he always out popped and drew better than workers like Tito Santana, Rick Martel, and early Bret Hart. WWE, as a business cannot cater to 1/4 of its fanbase.

KIRA 07-20-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Condor (Post 4835964)
We had this discussion a while ago, but the hardcore fans who lionize Nakamura, Balor, Sasha, NXT, et al... are a small pie piece of WWE's total audience, and therefore it's business. They all deserve an opportunity, but if they don't click it's just because the broader audience isn't looking for what the hardcore fans like. for example, Jim Duggan was shit in the ring and quasi-mentally challenged, but he always out popped and drew better than workers like Tito Santana, Rick Martel, and early Bret Hart. WWE, as a business cannot cater to 1/4 of its fanbase.

I get that but they have a history of cutting the legs out from under a wrestler before they can even give it a go. Take Johnny Curtis his weird creepy insanely funny stalkerish character was awesome but instead we got Fandango. Then there are times when it seems they don't want something to succeed even after its proven it can (Cesaro) (R-Truths Heel Turn) Dolph Ziggler Dean Ambrose (Even tho he's the champ now) at one point instead of striking while he was white hot the company seemed intent on derailing his momentum.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 04:05 PM

Everything is controlled. It's up to wwe (vince) to present these guys in a certain way and do it at the right time. Look at the difference at how "internet darlings" have been shown off. Kevin Owens got hot shotted into a feud with Cena and was a threat. Styles got into the rumble then went into a feud with Jericho.

You can't just throw them to the wolves and say "now connect with them." At this level in front of this many people, they need to see personality come through in a program that's been drawn up with the intention of getting them over. The fly by the seat of your pants wwe writing style is what wouldn't get them over. Not knowing where to go week to week and just throwing guys in random matches like Neville or the divas revolution is the problem.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 04:09 PM

I loved the example Paul Heyman gave once. Talking about if you had Mark Henry get people to tap out via head Lock you can make it look devastating. Then when someone finally powers out of it in a big match it becomes a huge thing, like body slamming Yokozuna. It's all in the presentation.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 04:13 PM

As far as trying to appease a certain percentage of fan basis....the Hardcore fans are where it starts. If they aren't telling their casual wrestling fan friends about it, you get a stagnant product. You aren't trying to please everyone. That's a fools errand. If you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing no one.

Wrestling roots are in a carnival act, you have to draw eyeballs. Only way to keep people coming back is to give them things they've yet to see. Guys like Nakamura are what they need.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4835935)
In Noid's world, the women's division would be at its best if it was Kelly Kelly, Maryse, Aksana, Ashley Massaro, Rosa Mendez and the Bellas just passing the divas belt around every month in bathroom break matches during a ppv.

Well, that's complete horseshit.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4835970)
Everything is controlled. It's up to wwe (vince) to present these guys in a certain way and do it at the right time. Look at the difference at how "internet darlings" have been shown off. Kevin Owens got hot shotted into a feud with Cena and was a threat. Styles got into the rumble then went into a feud with Jericho.

You can't just throw them to the wolves and say "now connect with them." At this level in front of this many people, they need to see personality come through in a program that's been drawn up with the intention of getting them over. The fly by the seat of your pants wwe writing style is what wouldn't get them over. Not knowing where to go week to week and just throwing guys in random matches like Neville or the divas revolution is the problem.

In Frank Drebin's world, the Divas Revolution would have featured Sable standing in the ring and taking off her top constantly. See how bullshit it is?

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4835937)

Holy fuck you did it to MatthewAllenHanso too. Stop that.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4835974)
As far as trying to appease a certain percentage of fan basis....the Hardcore fans are where it starts. If they aren't telling their casual wrestling fan friends about it, you get a stagnant product. You aren't trying to please everyone. That's a fools errand. If you try to please everyone you'll end up pleasing no one.

Wrestling roots are in a carnival act, you have to draw eyeballs. Only way to keep people coming back is to give them things they've yet to see. Guys like Nakamura are what they need.

This is actually a good point. It's a shame you mar it with your fallacious reasoning elsewhere in this thread.

The WWE does need to create talk around the water cooler, and that does involve personalities that aren't embarrassing for people to watch. The presentation, style, charisma and "reality" of what Nakamura does edges him over a lot of guys there. I can understand people's trepidation and concern that the act might get stale fast though once the romance of him being Stateside wears off. I don't necessarily agree before you put fucking words in my mouth again, but I understand it.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4836023)
They should promote that Nooph chick from Breaking Ground to the main roster. She has a very distinct look that would be great if they could dress her up as Princess Jasmine.

I didn't say it.

Mr. Nerfect 07-20-2016 10:51 PM

She's trained by Lance Storm, Einstein. Can probably wrestle really good. You're putting a lot of effort in to come up with nothing.

Frank Drebin 07-20-2016 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4836156)
my ideal woman is Lena Dunham

Big Vic 07-21-2016 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noid (Post 4836021)
In Frank Drebin's world, the Divas Revolution would have featured Sable standing in the ring and taking off her top constantly.

I think Frank is on to something.

weather vane 07-21-2016 09:24 AM

Lena Dunham is the worst human on earth who isn't a terrorist, murderer or sex offender. Literally. The worst. Not hyperbole.

Innovator 07-21-2016 09:25 AM

You can scratch the sex offender part

weather vane 07-21-2016 11:04 AM

Fingering your own sister counts yeah...