TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   mma forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   MMA Thread (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=65900)

redoneja 10-11-2007 06:55 PM

Quote:

Dana White posted the following at UFC.tv:

“I’m not surprised at all by Randy’s decision. I talked to Randy several weeks ago and he said that if he couldn’t fight Fedor, then he has nothing left to prove in the sport of mixed martial arts.

He has been doing a lot of acting, and I know he is in South Africa right now filming a movie. I think it’s a great move for Randy’s acting career to retire from fighting while he is on top.

As we all know, Randy retired before. The landscape in MMA changes every day. So when he is ready to come out of retirement again, he is still under contract with me, and I’m ready to promote him.”

Reavant 10-11-2007 09:33 PM

god damn im good

Dave Youell 10-12-2007 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reavant
god damn im good

Good call :y:

YOUR Hero 10-12-2007 09:58 AM

Glad to see Dana's comments were all positive. Reading that makes me think that Dana might be able to get Randy to come back for an analyst role or some sort of special appearance. when I say analyst, I don't mean for a career, but at a major event or the like.

YOUR Hero 10-12-2007 09:59 AM

...I was going to say he should hold a retirement ceremony for Randy but that might not be wise, because Randy may have a desire to fight again in the future.

Reavant 10-12-2007 02:48 PM

Dana needs to step back and become more professional. As much as he thinks it is, his demographic is not 18-35. At my wrestling facility, there is classes with kids that are in junior high and elementary school and many of them dont miss anything that has to do with ufc. When the kids want to horse around with the jujitsu or strikijng they dont say "lets do mma" they say "ufc me." Dana has made the sport main stream. Everyone at least knows what it is. However he is probably one of the most unprofessional presidents of any company anywhere.

As a face of a company like UFC, you cannot be seen on TV swearing and talking like a punk kid from boston. At first it was funny and entertaining, but that cant continue. I believe that the failure to sign a deal with HBO and a contract with Fedor falls primarily on dana White's shoulders. You cant discuss dealings with other parties publically especially when nothing has been worked out to begin with, and then go on to bash who ever backs out of a possable deal or doesnt do what dana wants. (i.e. His comments on wanderlei silva after he opted to fight in november rather than september with chuck and his current comments on Fedor after he signed with M-1).

An executive of a company needs to do be democratic enough to do what is best for the entire company. The problem seems to be that Dana has started to develop the personality of many of his fighters in terms of how he does business. It looks as if he thinks noone can compete with him, and if you dont want to be here then we dont need you and you will be nothing. Or even not letting guys fight in the UFC because of personal conflicts fighters that have nothing to do with their fighting ability or performance. Along with keeping guys off camera that seem to have "boring" fights are all huge mistakes being made by Dana White and Zuffa.

I really think that Dana could really end up biting himself in the ass, because if other companies such as M-1 find a way to offer fighters more money or treat them better, then we could start to see a lot more fighters start to jump ship FAST!

Mercury Bullet 10-12-2007 05:30 PM

I think that White has the same problem a lot of businessmen do, where they only think in terms of money. Whats going to happen eventually, is solid fighters are gonna take a pay cut for better treatment and more opportunity elsewhere. That, in turn, is going to build up other promotions with better fighters putting on better fights. And, when all is said and done, it was the "money first" philosophy that is going to set UFC back financially long term.

They are the biggest promotion, but they aren't the only promotion and if somewhere else is going to provide better treatment, people are going to start making the jump.

Mercury Bullet 10-14-2007 08:30 PM

Rumors are saying Ricardo Arona has signed with M-1.

Reavant 10-15-2007 12:15 PM

same rumors are saying hes fighting fedor too...... RIP ricardo

Mercury Bullet 10-15-2007 12:36 PM

That is a HUGE fight for that company. If they can keep up at this pace they are going to give UFC a little competition.

Rob 10-15-2007 08:26 PM

They aren't any competition. UFC is MMA right now. Sucks that Randy Couture has gone but oh well. They built a franchise after he quit the last time. And he might feel a little stupid when Fedor ends up in the UFC after all this.

Reavant 10-15-2007 09:40 PM

that depends on what american bought M-1

Reavant 10-15-2007 09:41 PM

plus if UFC doesnt bargain with andrei, he could end up there too

Crimson 10-15-2007 10:23 PM

UFC needs to becareful a little bit here..not signing Fedor, Couture retiring, Lidell and Ortiz 2 of their biggest draws are on a downslide..not the brightest it's been in awhile.

Rob 10-16-2007 10:27 AM

Quote:

plus if UFC doesnt bargain with andrei, he could end up there too

Seriously get off his cock. You have name dropped him about 10 times now. You got a picture with him. Hey good for you pal. I got pictures with Matt Serra and Brandon Vera so I'll just start going on about how great they are like I know them personally.

Vera says he'd kill Arlovski. He told me this morning over tea and crumpets.

Apocolyptik1 10-16-2007 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob

That made me chuckle :lol: .

On another note, I think Vera is going to get manhandled by Sylvia.

Apocolyptik1 10-16-2007 02:31 PM

Actually my last comment wasnt fair to say. I think Vera will do good in the opening round, finding his reach earlier and staying away from Sylvia. However, I dont see Vera hurting Sylvia, even though he has good feet/hands/knees. Then Sylvia will find his reach late in the 2nd, early in the 3rd and put him down.

They will start with hands, then trade kicks to see who is better. Knee's will be last resort to either fighter. I know a lot of people dont like Tim because of his slow methodical style, but it wins fights.

Mercury Bullet 10-16-2007 02:52 PM

I didn't say they were competition at this time. But they are certainly putting something good together it would seem. And sometime down the road they are going to be knocking on UFC's door.

Reavant 10-16-2007 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Seriously get off his cock. You have name dropped him about 10 times now. You got a picture with him. Hey good for you pal. I got pictures with Matt Serra and Brandon Vera so I'll just start going on about how great they are like I know them personally.

I train with him you meat gazer. Every wed. from 230-430. So I guess I do know him personally dont I. Him and his manager tell me things and i figure you guys might like to hear it. And so it doesnt seem like I make shit up, I give you the source that told me. I figure its probably good information if its coming from them. So yea I guess Im name dropping but its not to make me look cool rather than its to make the information more credible. This is an MMA thread and Id figure information about anyone in MMA would be realivant.

Reavant 10-16-2007 03:17 PM

on another note.....

Quote:

New MMA Organization Cage Fighting Championships, Inc. (CFC) Offers $3 Million Purse for Randy Couture VS Fedor Emelianenko
DAVIE, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Cage Fighting Championships (CFC) Spokesperson Crawford Grimsley announced today, “The CFC will put up a $3,000,000 purse to bring the Couture vs Emelianenko fight to Pay-Per-View. $1,000,000 will be guaranteed to each fighter while the winner takes home an additional cool million, making this the largest single purse for any one MMA fight.”

Grimsley, a former heavyweight boxer who went 12 rounds with big George Foreman for the world title in 1996 said, “I don’t know who set up the current MMA system of sanctioning bodies locking fighters into exclusive long term contracts. I do know who is out to change this system though, we are, the CFC. We are not going to try to reinvent the wheel, but we would like to add a little of the business model that professional boxing has adopted for decades. Can you imagine if professional boxing would not allow champion to fight champion. How many great boxing matches would we have missed?”

Grimsley added, “The UFC has made this sport into what it is today and my hat is off to them, but in the same regard, we feel the sport must allow the best from any league to fight each other when the time is right. We are willing to sit down with any and all parties necessary to make this fight happen including the UFC, Randy Couture, the Gersh Agency, Fedor Emelianenko, his manager Vadim Finkelstein and M-1. It happens everyday in boxing. That’s how you get an undisputed champion. This exclusivity only hurts the sport, the fans, the fighters and the amount of money a fighter can make. We are going to do everything we can to bring this fight and many others currently prohibited. It’s time for the MMA to change for the benefit of the fighters and fans, not the sanctioning bodies.”

The first CFC event took place October 6, 2007 and has already hit the radar of Mark Cuban’s HDNet Network, which only broadcasts in 1080i High Definition, and the hit show Inside MMA. Highlights of the first CFC Middleweight Title fight “Let the Rage Begin” aired this last Friday, October 12, 2007. For airing information, go to www.hd.net and look for the Inside MMA schedule.

About Cage Fighting Championships

The Cage Fighting Championships bring some of the world’s leading professional mixed martial arts professionals into battle inside a 6-foot high caged ring. Headquartered in Ft. Lauderdale, FL.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...66&newsLang=en

Mercury Bullet 10-16-2007 03:20 PM

That would be pretty sweet :y:

Crimson 10-16-2007 10:03 PM

So now the UFC will put this in their contracts where they can't fight outside UFC. :|

Crimson 10-16-2007 10:03 PM

They probably do already

McLegend 10-16-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

We are not going to try to reinvent the wheel, but we would like to add a little of the business model that professional boxing has adopted for decades.
Copying the business model that has pretty much killed boxing is always a good idea.

Reavant 10-16-2007 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson
They probably do already

no they actually do already

Rob 10-18-2007 09:07 AM

Quote:

I train with him you meat gazer. Every wed. from 230-430. So I guess I do know him personally dont I. Him and his manager tell me things and i figure you guys might like to hear it. And so it doesnt seem like I make shit up, I give you the source that told me. I figure its probably good information if its coming from them. So yea I guess Im name dropping but its not to make me look cool rather than its to make the information more credible. This is an MMA thread and Id figure information about anyone in MMA would be realivant.

Yawn!

Glad to hear your "exclusives" are so different from everything else that has been listed. You train with him? Okay fine whatever. Now his manager tells you stuff? Your bullshit might be credible if some of it actually happened but NONE of it does. NONE! ZERO! NADA! ZIP!

But hey you got a pic with Arlovski. Good for you pal. :y:

Reavant 10-18-2007 09:20 AM

Haha whatever dude... I dont care if you believe me or not. Fact is I do and your probably just jealous.

Oh and there was this:
Quote:

Plus I see Randy not fighting again. Theres no reason to now. He would either fight Vera or Sylvia. Theres no shame in losing to Fedor, but he might just retire champion now. Hes making so much money with all his gyms and the movie deal for the new scorpion king movie apparently that he doesnt need the money.

If you check it... I said this a day before Randy retired.... you think i dreamed this up? No Leo, his manager told me he would more likely than not do this.

Destor 10-18-2007 09:32 AM

This is hilarious coming from Rob. (But I do agree that name dropping immature, I don't name in the wrestling forum I'll say that much.)

The Naitch 10-18-2007 10:39 PM

Reavant and Rob should fight in a cage

I'll supply the prize money

Crimson 10-19-2007 12:18 AM

I don't really see it as name dropping..it's just Arlovski's name anyhow not a bunch of fighters. I mean if I trained with a UFC fighter i'd be hard pressed to keep my lips sealed,i'd probably be blabbering what he had as a snack.

Rob 10-19-2007 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor
This is hilarious coming from Rob. (But I do agree that name dropping immature, I don't name in the wrestling forum I'll say that much.)

How is it hilarious coming from me?

1 - Never named dropped even when I was buried for whatever I said. It might have come out that I knew one guy but even then I'm not sure.

2 - When I said something in the wrestling forum, how often was I wrong?

If anyone here happened to name drop but then gave useful info that actually was true then it wouldn't bother me. Seeing nothing backed up with name dropping is another story.

Rob 10-19-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crimson
I don't really see it as name dropping..it's just Arlovski's name anyhow not a bunch of fighters. I mean if I trained with a UFC fighter i'd be hard pressed to keep my lips sealed,i'd probably be blabbering what he had as a snack.

That's a different story. Saying you saw Quinton Jackson eating a Snickers bar or something is different from saying he is telling you the low down of his MMA future.

Rob 10-19-2007 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Naitch
Reavant and Rob should fight in a cage

I'll supply the prize money

Am I 12?

Mind you, I'd fight Fedor for £250,000.

Innovator 10-19-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Am I 12?

Mind you, I'd fight Fedor for £250,000.

Couple welts and possibly a broken arm for that much? Yeah I'd take it

Apocolyptik1 10-19-2007 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Am I 12?

Mind you, I'd get beat up by Fedor for £250,000.

:rofl: Couldnt resist.

PUMPED for 77. I think its going to be a solid card!

Rob 10-19-2007 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innovator
Couple welts and possibly a broken arm for that much? Yeah I'd take it

He can break my neck for 250k. British money of course.

Innovator 10-19-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
He can break my neck for 250k. British money of course.

that'd be rougly $511,000, so fuck yeah

Reavant 10-19-2007 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
If anyone here happened to name drop but then gave useful info that actually was true then it wouldn't bother me. Seeing nothing backed up with name dropping is another story.

:roll:
Quote:

Plus I see Randy not fighting again. Theres no reason to now. He would either fight Vera or Sylvia. Theres no shame in losing to Fedor, but he might just retire champion now. Hes making so much money with all his gyms and the movie deal for the new scorpion king movie apparently that he doesnt need the money.

Rob 10-20-2007 09:00 AM

My response to that:

1 - Lorretta Hunt of The Fight Network is also Randy Couture's autobiographer for his new book was on Between The Ropes this week saying as a fact that Randy Couture told her he is definately continuing fighting. He only resigned from the UFC. He didn't retire.

2 - Randy Couture didn't need the money before he came back from his retirement last time but he still did because no matter what you have in the bank, nobody can refuse those first huge pay days.

3 - What you wrote was clearly your opinion and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to one. Had you said your buddy Andrei Arlovski gave you the scoop, maybe your post would make sense.

Oh yeah, did your buddy Andrei tell you he is now the head security for the Jerry Springer show?

RP 10-20-2007 11:28 AM

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news?slu...yhoo&type=lgns

"Even if he loses, he'll be back before too long, if only because the middleweight division in the UFC is so bereft of legitimate challengers. It's clearly the weakest of the UFC's five divisions. The best middleweight Zuffa has under contract other than Silva or Franklin – and, perhaps, even including Silva and Franklin – is WEC champion Paulo Filho. "

When did this happen?

Because a Paulo Filho vs Silva match should have been made yesterday.

Reavant 10-20-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
My response to that:

1 - Lorretta Hunt of The Fight Network is also Randy Couture's autobiographer for his new book was on Between The Ropes this week saying as a fact that Randy Couture told her he is definately continuing fighting. He only resigned from the UFC. He didn't retire.

2 - Randy Couture didn't need the money before he came back from his retirement last time but he still did because no matter what you have in the bank, nobody can refuse those first huge pay days.

3 - What you wrote was clearly your opinion and that is fine. Everyone is entitled to one. Had you said your buddy Andrei Arlovski gave you the scoop, maybe your post would make sense.

Oh yeah, did your buddy Andrei tell you he is now the head security for the Jerry Springer show?

HAHA your an idiot... where do you think i got the idea? everything ive put up has come from something they say. I wrote it like an opinion because everything else they said was going wrong and it was pissing me off. and since theyre playing hardball in contract negotiations its understandable as to why he gets told he may fight a certain person and not have it happen.

Rob 10-20-2007 04:48 PM

Stop talking bollocks. It's embarrassing.

Reavant 10-20-2007 06:33 PM

stop being jealous... your embarrassing yourself

Reavant 10-20-2007 06:44 PM

http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2...new-video.html
ESPN interview with Dana white on the randy situation

RP 10-20-2007 07:21 PM

http://www.fighthype.com/pages/content1146.html

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 12:41 AM

Brock Lesnar signs with UFC.

Story Here.

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 12:46 AM

Results from UFC 77: (SPOILERS, DUH!)

-Matt Grice def. Jason Black via Split Decision (29-28 Grice, 29-28 Black, 29-28 Grice) after 3 Rounds.
-Josh Burkman def. Forrest Petz via Split Decision (29-28 Burkman, 29-28Petz, 29-28 Burkman) after 3 Rounds.
-Demian Maia def. Ryan Jensen via Submission (rear naked choke) at 2:40 of Round 1.
-Yushin Okami def. Jason MacDonald via Unanimous Decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27) after 3 Rounds.

-Alan Belcher def. Kalib Starnes via TKO (cut stoppage) at 1:39 of Round 2.
-Stephan Bonnar def. Eric Schafer via TKO (strikes) at 2:47 of Round 2.
-Alvin Robinson def. Jorge Gurgel via Unanimous Decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-27) after 3 Rounds.
-Tim Sylvia def. Brandon Vera via Unanimous Decision (29-27, 29-28, 29-28) after 3 Rounds.
-Anderson Silva (c) def. Rich Franklin via TKO (knee) at 1:07 of Round 2 to retain the Middleweight title.

McLegend 10-21-2007 12:56 AM

Anderson Silva is awsome

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 01:01 AM

I don't know that the middleweight division is so weak, I think it is more of Anderson Silva is that good.

Vastardikai 10-21-2007 01:38 AM

Belcher was dominant. When the ref says "I can see his skull." thats not good.

Tim Silvia can suck my cock. Most of his fight was laying on the cage. I wouldn't mind seeing Silvia fight Brock Lesnar.

The only shock in the Franklin-Silva fight was that there even was a second round. Rich was done after the right hand.

Blitz 10-21-2007 02:14 AM

Dug the Bonnar and Sylvia fights.

Was pulling for Franklin :(

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vastardikai
Belcher was dominant. When the ref says "I can see his skull." thats not good.

:( Kalib

I fucking hate Sylvia because all of his fights are him laying on his opponent..

Also, wooooo @ The Spider

He is the man.. I :heart: Franklin though..

Crimson 10-21-2007 10:33 AM

Silva is on another level right now..you can't stand up with the guy he's too good.

So I guess it's Sylvia vs. Minotaur for the title?

Reavant 10-21-2007 11:39 AM

I hate to say it but I think that lesnar is going to cut through the hwt division :(

Crimson 10-21-2007 12:12 PM

That would be cool

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 12:29 PM

Mmm...I dunno if Lesnar has really proven anything to be able to just "cut through" the hwt division. I'm not saying he can't though, he could be the real deal. Hopefully, they work him into it rather than just throwing him in there with top tier opponents.

Reavant 10-21-2007 01:59 PM

I dunno. Ive seen the guy wrestle... ncaa not wwe a lot and he is just sooo strong and athletic that I see him being a problem for every hwt out there. I honestly dont want him to be that good but im affraid he probably will be.

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 02:50 PM

Josh Koscheck was a phenomenal amateur wrestler also, and although he's done okay, did you see him get dominated by GSP?

Crimson 10-21-2007 03:11 PM

Well that's because GSP is god

Mercury Bullet 10-21-2007 03:14 PM

I think Big Nog or Sylvia could take Lesnar. Sylvia, because he is the one guy that I think could overpower Lesnar. He may take Sylvia down, but I think Sylvia would win a boring match that involved him rolling all over Lesnar on the ground. And Nogeira because, again, Lesnar would take him down but I think Nogeira would submit him from anywhere on the ground.

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 03:17 PM

Fedor could KO him..

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 03:23 PM

What happened to Bob Sapp??

http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/9171/sapp24oc.png

redoneja 10-21-2007 07:06 PM

I concour with Krispy. I fucking hate Syliva.

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 07:10 PM

http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70319

RP 10-21-2007 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redoneja
I concour with Krispy. I fucking hate Syliva.

actually i think sylvia is amazing. He has some incredible defense both standing and on the ground. Thats why people get pissed. No one can do anything to him unless your name is Couture and you clinch like a T-Rex.

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 08:14 PM

RP, a T-rex wouldn't have a very good clinch due to it's tiny arms..

http://rocr.xepher.net/weblog/images/trex.jpg

Reavant 10-21-2007 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet
I think Big Nog or Sylvia could take Lesnar. Sylvia, because he is the one guy that I think could overpower Lesnar. He may take Sylvia down, but I think Sylvia would win a boring match that involved him rolling all over Lesnar on the ground. And Nogeira because, again, Lesnar would take him down but I think Nogeira would submit him from anywhere on the ground.

See I dunno. I agree that nog could beat him because of all his techique and knowlege, but if sylvia got put to the ground hed get his head pownded in. Of course we have to see how brock can take a hit, but judging by how he continued to perforn at the wrestlemania when he nearly broke his neck with the star press, I think it would take a lot to KO him.

RP 10-21-2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kris P Lettus
RP, a T-rex wouldn't have a very good clinch due to it's tiny arms..

http://rocr.xepher.net/weblog/images/trex.jpg

was thinking more inline with his jaws

Kris P Lettus 10-21-2007 10:22 PM

Ahhh..

Rob 10-22-2007 05:30 AM

If Dana books Lesnar properly, he'll be the most dominate champion in their history. I don't think he will though and to be fair, it's too hard too because he needs at least 5 fights before he gets a good test and he isn't gonna get that in the UFC.

Reavant 10-23-2007 10:30 PM

wanderlei and liddel is confirmed on ufc.com... and the two top names being thrown around for Lesnar's debut are brad imes and crocop

Mercury Bullet 10-24-2007 01:30 AM

Cro Cop would be a HUGE fight, but even Lesnar winning doesn't necessarily prove he's the real deal. It could just prove Cro Cop is finished.

Destor 10-24-2007 01:59 AM

Yeah, but what a way to put Lesnar on the map.

Rob 10-24-2007 12:59 PM

Cro Cop would kill him.

Mercury Bullet 10-24-2007 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Cro Cop would kill him.

Looked like Cro Cop would kill Gonzaga too, but we all saw how that worked out.

Mercury Bullet 10-24-2007 01:47 PM

Evans vs. Bisping a #1 Contenders Match?

Rumors say that Dana White has stated the upcoming Evans/Bisping match will determine the top contender for the LHW title. I think that is STUPID considering how loaded that division is right now. Put two decent but unproven guys against each other, and boom, winner gets thrust into the title picture? What about Forrest, Jardine, Wandy, Houston...I mean Wandy needs to do a little proving in the UFC, Houston could use another fight against a top level guy, but Evans and Bisping are barely (if even) top 10 guys in that division.

Crimson 10-24-2007 08:36 PM

I agree WTF if it's true. Evans didnt prove shit against Tito..and Bisping needs work..Forrest, Jardine are more deserved.

RP 10-25-2007 12:15 PM

Frank Trigg vs Paulo Filho

Rob 10-26-2007 04:08 PM

Quote:

Looked like Cro Cop would kill Gonzaga too, but we all saw how that worked out.

Gonzaga had more than one MMA fight and had fought in the UFC before.

Mercury Bullet 10-26-2007 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
Gonzaga had more than one MMA fight and had fought in the UFC before.

A virtually unthinkable upset nonetheless.

RP 10-27-2007 01:49 AM

The only way Cro Crop faces Lesnar is if UFC absolutely feels Cro Crop has nothing left to offer them and will lose. No way UFC feeds Lesnar to Cro Crop knowing theres a chance Cro Crop wins. Just wouldnt make any sense for Lesnars first fight.

Rob 10-28-2007 04:18 PM

Quote:

A virtually unthinkable upset nonetheless.

Yeah that's why it was a number one contender fight right?

Mercury Bullet 10-28-2007 04:21 PM

It was declared a number one contenders match so Cro Cop could get his title shot...

Only it didn't quite go as planned for Dana and the UFC.

McLegend 10-28-2007 05:04 PM

Dana picked Gonzaga to win.

You can't sit here and tell me Gonzaga isn't a better fighter then Cro Cop. Gonzaga is just really a good all around fighter.

Not really that big of an upset, but just really a shocking ending.

Mercury Bullet 10-28-2007 06:59 PM

I'm not saying Gonzaga isn't a good fighter, but he was a nobody before that fight and 95% of the population did not expect him to win. And I'm sure Dana White did say he though Gonzaga would win, they wanted to add a little credibility to his unknown name coming into the fight.

Rob 10-28-2007 09:13 PM

You used Gonzaga as an argument to push Lesnar against Cro Cop. Lesnar isn't close to the level of fighter Gonzaga is. How can he be with less than 1/10 the experience?

Reavant 10-28-2007 10:38 PM

To be fair we've only seen one fight of lesnars and the guy was a fish. He could come in like houston alexander and blow through everyone. Or he could be another huge recent signed flops that the UFC seems to be getting. To say hes not at the level of gonzaga, although most likely true, may be unfair due to brock's credentials as a collegate athlete. Theres no belts in wrestling to show rank like there is in BJJ and most martial arts and no big professional level like boxing. He won basically the pinnicle of his sport (american wrestling is very different than international or olympics styles) which ends when he leaves college. With basic striking and good BJJ defense he could beat anyone in the division.

Mercury Bullet 10-28-2007 11:15 PM

We really have no idea where Lesnar ranks as a fighter, he's had one fight. It may have been a fluke cause the guy sucked that bad. Or it may be the same thing Lesnar is going to do to everybody he steps in the cage with.

My comparison was just that you cant say "Cro Cop would kill him"...because most everybody said Cro Cop would kill Gonzaga too, and that didn't exactly happen.

Crimson 10-28-2007 11:46 PM

Can't wait to see Lesnar in the cage. They'll bring him up slowly I imagine with low ranked fighters..so hopefully he's the real deal.

A weak ppv in november but can't wait for Silva/Liddell now..two men with their backs against the wall.

Rob 10-29-2007 04:17 AM

Quote:

We really have no idea where Lesnar ranks as a fighter, he's had one fight. It may have been a fluke cause the guy sucked that bad. Or it may be the same thing Lesnar is going to do to everybody he steps in the cage with.

My comparison was just that you cant say "Cro Cop would kill him"...because most everybody said Cro Cop would kill Gonzaga too, and that didn't exactly happen.

1 - Lesnar ranks the same as every other fighter with 1 pro win under his belt.

2 - Your comparison wasn't at all logical. I might beat Fedor then because nobody expects it.

Mercury Bullet 10-29-2007 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
2 - Your comparison wasn't at all logical. I might beat Fedor then because nobody expects it.

Yeh, uh, that really is not even remotely close to what I said.

An unknown professional fighter, is an unknown professional fighter. And it is impossible to predict an outcome, especially (in the case of Lesnar vs. Cro Cop) one appears to have a lot of potential while the other appears to be at the tail end of his career.

Reavant 10-29-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob
1 - Lesnar ranks the same as every other fighter with 1 pro win under his belt.

come on... your better than this

Reavant 10-30-2007 05:07 PM

theyre saying gonzaga vs. Werdum at UFC 80 in Newcastle

Rob 10-30-2007 05:19 PM

That's cool for me.

weather vane 11-02-2007 02:59 PM

You guys are pretty serious about your MMA huh?

Stickman 11-02-2007 03:06 PM

Sure beats baseball

weather vane 11-02-2007 03:18 PM

Oh I love MMA. I just find it hilarious how worked up some people have got in this thread.

Stickman 11-02-2007 06:39 PM

It's an internet forum, did you expect anything less ;)

Reavant 11-02-2007 07:32 PM

:wave:

Rob 11-02-2007 08:29 PM

Main event in Newcastle on January 19 is BJ Penn vs. Joe Stevenson for the interim lightweight title. :D Going!