TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Can Brodus Clay become a real 'main event player'? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=125581)

Anybody Thrilla 12-24-2013 05:31 PM

Can Brodus Clay become a real 'main event player'?

I find myself oddly intrigued with the current direction of Brodus Clay. The Funkasaurus thing was fun for a couple months, but it definitely ran it's course long ago. He's been showing a different side as of late, and even his matches are becoming more watchable. I think he'll work quite well as a heel, maybe even aligning with The Authority down the line.

Your thoughts?

Evil Vito 12-24-2013 05:45 PM

<font color=goldenrod>I loved some of his heel promo work way back on NXT Season 4, the man can definitely cut a good promo if given a chance. I'm not sure he'll ever be a true main eventer at this point - but I do think he could conceivably have a decent program with Big E Langston for the Intercontinental Title.

I just hope they give his new heel character a good amount of TV time and don't relegate him to Main Event duty within a few weeks. It's times like this that I miss the split and having ECW as a brand, really. He'd have been able to go there, spend a few months working his heel character on television every week, and then presumably be brought back to a main show with more momentum.</font>

Anybody Thrilla 12-24-2013 05:46 PM

I can see him being the 'muscle' for The Authority, since it doesn't look like they want Kane to wrestle.

Ultra Mantis 12-24-2013 05:50 PM

For some reason I see this going the same way as Shad's heel turn.

Anybody Thrilla 12-24-2013 05:53 PM

So you think he'll be released soon?

Tensai beat Brodus on some show recently. Was it Main Event?

Ultra Mantis 12-24-2013 06:07 PM

I can see him losing the feud and never doing anything of note, whether that means he gets released or they just sparingly use him as a jobber. I think Tensai beat him on Smackdown last week.

Heyman 12-24-2013 07:56 PM

My answer is 'no'.

Can he be a main event player? Sure. Will he become a main event player? I don't think so. I don't see the WWE booking him that way. If he's lucky, he could get a Mark Henry type title run way in the future, but even that's a stretch.

I think we'll see him win the Intercontinental Title one day, and then fade into the background again. I see him being what guys like Rikisihi, Val Venis, Test, etc., were back in the day. He'll get a push, which will then be shortly followed by a push off a cliff.

Ps - Clay won't be released soon. He'll go over Tensai big time in the not-so-distant future.

Pps - Bringing back a 44 year old Batista is a mistake in my opinion. Hopefully, his only purpose will be to be the bodyguard for The Authority.

Vastardikai 12-24-2013 08:24 PM

If you told me 20 years ago that a guy with a Connecticut Blueblood gimmick would be not only in the Main Event, but One of the top guys in the company, I'd call you crazy.

Stranger things have happened.

#1-norm-fan 12-24-2013 08:26 PM

I think he could flirt with the main event picture as a monster for a face champion like Cena to overcome at some point.

I prefer him as a face though. He's incredibly likeable but they turned him into a jobber too fast for the sake of making Big Show seem like a threat for the hundredth time. If he hits the main event now, he's just gonna be the same generic monster heel as opposed to showing off that personality.

SlickyTrickyDamon 12-24-2013 08:39 PM

I don't think so not with there only being one world title now.

dronepool 12-24-2013 08:44 PM

I don't like him, but I don't know. Not anytime til after WM30 if anything...

Bad News Gertner 12-25-2013 03:20 AM

Love my Brodus, but no. He's a lot better in the ring than people give him credit for. Sort of a "poor mans Umaga". He's definitely useful and from things that I've heard he's very creative. Came up with Mark Henry's Hall of Pain.

whiteyford 12-25-2013 05:47 AM

It depends on how he's booked, he has all the tools, needs a better finisher though, I could see him around the main event even if he's not holding the title.

Bad News Gertner 12-25-2013 05:57 AM

I don't even know where to begin on that. Maybe a running powerslam. He's not very tall.

GD 12-25-2013 06:20 AM

Rosie and Rico return to RAW to help Brodus become a main event player and reform the 3-minute warning.

Emperor Smeat 12-25-2013 02:43 PM

Probably not although WWF Fan's idea of him being used as the quick "heel du jour" feud for Cena or whoever is the top face at the time does make a lot of sense.

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 03:15 PM

For clarification sake, I wasn't really referring to the actual "main event" as much as I was to Brodus Clay being something to pay attention to in the WWE landscape.

Also, whoever said he needs a new finisher is right. Maybe a Vader Bomb sorta thing?

whiteyford 12-25-2013 03:24 PM

Can't think of anyone who uses a powerbomb finisher now, always looks impressive.

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 03:33 PM

Yeah, that could work. His body is shaped so oddly.

whiteyford 12-25-2013 04:22 PM

Thumb spike maybe?

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 04:30 PM

I hate that move. Maybe he should do a 450 or something.

whiteyford 12-25-2013 04:43 PM

A springboard 450 at least.

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 04:46 PM

Springboard 450, transitioned into "The Worm" mid-air. Nothing less.

whiteyford 12-25-2013 04:49 PM

Complete with 'chopping' action before hitting it?

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 04:50 PM

Obvi.

Fignuts 12-25-2013 07:02 PM

Think Tensai is a lot better. Guy has had some great matches with Sheamus and Kofi. Can't even think of one good Brodus Clay match. He's by no means bad, for his style, but nothing he's done has really stood out.

Tensai has the experience to put a better match together. Mic skills aren't bad either.

Anybody Thrilla 12-25-2013 07:16 PM

I have been enjoying Tensai on commentary.

#1-norm-fan 12-25-2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fignuts (Post 4347376)
Think Tensai is a lot better. Guy has had some great matches with Sheamus and Kofi. Can't even think of one good Brodus Clay match. He's by no means bad, for his style, but nothing he's done has really stood out.

Tensai has the experience to put a better match together. Mic skills aren't bad either.

Brodus has just been a comedy character and in a bunch of quick matches on NXT. We've never seen him in a spot to put on great matches.

Tensai's matches with Sheamus when Sheamus was champion though were awesome. I really wish they would have had a legit feud over the title instead of just random TV matches.

Bad News Gertner 12-25-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 4347311)
Springboard 450, transitioned into "The Worm" mid-air. Nothing less.

Followed by a Canadian Destroyer

Bad News Gertner 12-25-2013 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whiteyford (Post 4347261)
Can't think of anyone who uses a powerbomb finisher now, always looks impressive.

I think with the WWE's focus on concussions has eliminated that move for the most part.

Shadrick 12-26-2013 12:40 AM

Swagger uses a Gutwrench Powerbomb still, right?

Shadrick 12-26-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Mantis (Post 4347041)
For some reason I see this going the same way as Shad's heel turn.

My heel turn was great, fuck you

Bad News Gertner 12-26-2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadrick (Post 4347494)
Swagger uses a Gutwrench Powerbomb still, right?

Rarely. He's still falling with his opponent so the guy lands flat on his back. A regular powerbomb it's very easy to drill the back of your head.

Frank Drebin 12-26-2013 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla (Post 4347269)
Yeah, that could work. His body is shaped so oddly.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...ir-d4vet0g.jpg

http://www.candyconceptsinc.com/asse.../red-apple.jpg

Would love it if he did this though:

http://coldslitherpodcast.files.word...keem.jpg?w=411

mike adamle 12-26-2013 05:54 AM

I could see him feuding with John Cena similar to how Earthquake feuded with Hulk Hogan but other than that I'm not to sure about him being in the main event.

whiteyford 12-26-2013 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad News Gertner (Post 4347439)
I think with the WWE's focus on concussions has eliminated that move for the most part.

Bossman slam or something like that maybe? Honestly could see him getting repackaged with the Von Erich Claw as a finisher. Or a heart punch.

Impeccable 12-26-2013 06:58 AM

I have liked the little Brodus/Tensai feud that's been going on. I honestly though if anyone was going to turn in that team, it would have been Tensai. It's nice to see a few little sub feuds going on that don't involve any of the top guys or over a belt. Almost like Attitude era in that respect.

But to answer the question, I'm actually a fan of Clay and was before the Funkasaurus gimmick. I think if given the opportunity, and build him up a bit, he could hang in the main event as a filler threat for a reigning champion between the big PPVs.

Ultra Mantis 12-26-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadrick (Post 4347495)
My heel turn was great, fuck you

Nah, you're a natural babyface

#1-norm-fan 12-26-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike adamle (Post 4347576)
I could see him feuding with John Cena similar to how Earthquake feuded with Hulk Hogan but other than that I'm not to sure about him being in the main event.

This is what I see him as. Something like what Mark Henry, Ryback, Umaga or The Great Khali were for Cena for a month or two but not really a stand-alone main eventer.

mike adamle 12-26-2013 06:02 PM

Man, forgot all about Umaga til you just mentioned him. It's a shame he went so early, guy could've been a legend.