TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Holy crap, has anybody read Nintendo Power Magazine? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=3895)

Head 01-26-2004 05:17 PM

Holy crap, has anybody read Nintendo Power Magazine?

Yeah, I subscribed to it a few months back for $20 to get that Zelda disc (which I would say was worth it), and god I must this magazine is pathetic.

The reviews are pretty much describing how appropriate the game is for children, and they never give any game under 3 stars. Besides that, the whole magazine is pretty much crappy walkthroughs of crappy GBA games.

I know that Nintendo is trying to targer younger audiences and be family friendly, but this is just pathetic.

*end stupid rant*

Yeah.

Funky Fly 01-26-2004 07:49 PM

What were you expecting?

I'm biased in favor of Nintendo when it comes to games, but even I wouldn't turn to Nintendo power for serious gaming new/reviews/walkthroughs/etc.

SuperSlim 01-26-2004 07:57 PM

nintendo gamer magazine?

crap on top of more crap

Kane Knight 01-26-2004 11:23 PM

Nintendo Power has been that way for ages. I remember back when Street Fighter 2 hit SNES...While Gamepro and other contemporary magazines put out comprehensive strategy guides, the Nintendo idea of a strategy guide was to rehash information from the INSTRUCTION BOOK!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT! THE! ****!

Kane Knight 01-26-2004 11:23 PM

And any in-house mag is gonna suck for reviews.

Arashi Kage 01-26-2004 11:23 PM

I had a Nintendo Power Subscription from January '95 until November 2002. When my subscription ran out, I thought it wasn't worth it anymore cuz everything is online these days, not like the mid '90's when paper based media was the only source.

I do miss getting bonus stuff, like a free player's guide with resubscription. I almost thought about re-subscribing when I heard of the Zelda disk, but it didn't include the SNES one, so it wasn't enough to motivate me.

Yeah, the reviews were fairly poor, however, sometimes games received fair reviews.

road doggy dogg 01-26-2004 11:25 PM

LOL yeah I remember back in like grade 5 Nintendo Power was the shit

Granted, some of the walkthroughs were very helpful. Like I remember when Yoshi's Island first came out, the walkthrough had detailed maps of every level, showing where all the secrets and red coins, etc were. I'm surprised the magazine's still even made though, I thought it just faded away long ago

Vega 01-27-2004 02:22 AM

Stopped getting it years ago because it became shit.

Sephiroth 01-27-2004 07:11 AM

Don't get it anymore, just because the entire mag sucks.

Know i get:

Gamepro
PSM

They are pretty good IMO.

Hired Hitman 01-27-2004 09:30 AM

while the games evolved, the magazine stayed the same :D

Kane Knight 01-27-2004 11:29 AM

I'm not even sure it stayed the same. It used to be a lot better than it's been the last couple times I looked at it.

Granted, look is all I do...I don't think I'd buy the mag...

Funky Fly 01-27-2004 12:55 PM

Gamepro isn't as good as it once was either.

EGM is the goods. :Y:

Game Informer is alright, but not worthy of the $5 price tag.

SuperSlim 01-27-2004 03:10 PM

I think I get either Game Informer or GameInsider.

Head 01-27-2004 03:17 PM

I don't really read gaming magazines anymore...kinda poinless since it only comes out once a month and doesn't have any videos or anything.

Subscribing to IGN is much better.