TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Were your parents wrestling fans? (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=127756)

Bad News Gertner 09-23-2014 10:02 PM

Were your parents wrestling fans?

My grandmother told me the coolest fucking story about my Great-Grandmother. The Original Sheik had a territory in Detroit in the 60's to the 80's. Well my great grandmother used to go to Cobo Hall every time they ran shows, and she'd sit front row at the TV tapings watching guys like Bobo Brazil, the Sheik and Dick the Bruiser kick the fuck out of each other. Lol the best thing is, she would have been like 60 at this time. Lol she might have been a stunt granny.

poopfromweiner dude 09-23-2014 10:06 PM

Were your parents gay? (did they like wrestling)

#1-norm-fan 09-23-2014 10:08 PM

My grandma was a big wrestling fan. She was into NWA/WCW while I was into WWF growing up. Used to go to her place to watch WCW PPVs until around '98 when I stopped caring much about it. My dad was into it too which is how I was raised on it.

Mercenary 09-23-2014 10:10 PM

My mom, and her side of the family were. My Dad was not, but he still let me watch

Asmo 09-23-2014 10:24 PM

Neither of my parents were, or rather, are. Yet, they didn't see any harm in letting their kid watch wrestling. They knew i was hooked, and helped fuel the interest as well.

Lock Jaw 09-23-2014 10:29 PM

My dad watches it, and my grandfather watched it as well. So many VHS tapes of old WCW/NWA stuff recorded by my grandfather.

Heisenberg 09-23-2014 10:29 PM

I think my dad watched wrestling, but I think he put it on so he could go do drugs and shit. My mom and stepdad regime in the 90s were total heels and wouldn't let me get the nWo shirt and said that wrestling was evil and wouldn't buy me anything to do with the evil nWo. They didn't watch, but they were super brainwashed into thinking the WCW nWo was a real New World Order(gov conspiracy) and still makes me laugh to this day. I don't wear my nWo shirt in front of them for fear that they will take me out of their will. Super Christian as Fuck

Emperor Smeat 09-23-2014 10:32 PM

Somewhat for a few years although my father was a bigger fan than my mom. They'd watch it more if me or my sister was watching but rarely on their own.

Same for my grandfather, he'd watch whenever anyone else was also watching but almost never on his own. He used to laugh whenever the Bushwackers were on tv because of their goofball antics.

screech 09-23-2014 10:39 PM

My dad watched when he was a kid. Always says back when it was "real fake wrestling."

My Mom hates wrestling. Didn't let us watch it for a while.

Seth82 09-23-2014 10:42 PM

My dad watched it growing up.

He was a mark for Cowboy Bob Ellis.

I ended up discovering wrestling through him. He had it turned on one day and we sat down to watch it. I was hooked from day one.

It was fun watching it with him at 6-8 years old.

My mom casually watched it with us. She liked Macho Man and Miss Elizabeth.

JimmyMess 09-23-2014 10:57 PM

Parents were not fans, but lets us watch it. And when we would get riled up about a storyline or a match that irked us or we were happy about, my dad would simply say "that's nice"

ron the dial 09-23-2014 10:59 PM

my mom's brother loved it. he actually got me into it. he passed away when i was 7, and left me as the only fan in the family. not sure where he got the love from. probably growing up in the south.

SlickyTrickyDamon 09-23-2014 11:18 PM

Yep. Dad got me into it. I'm bigger fan than him he probably regrets introducing it to me. He was a big fan of Boris Malenko.

DaveWadding 09-23-2014 11:32 PM

My parents both HATED it. My dad always got stuck taking me to the shows and stuff and my mom thought it was dumb but let me watch it anyways.

Mercenary 09-24-2014 01:37 AM

Also My step dad hated it, but yet was a real sport for taking me to all the house shows. He would cheer for the guys I hated just to piss off a 8 year old me

teamXtremist 09-24-2014 01:41 AM

My dad was a avid wrestling fan .he took me to events and always ordered the ppvs or rented the old ppvs.some of my best memories were with my dad watching wrestling

The Condor 09-24-2014 02:19 AM

Dad was a big Sammartino fan. He was just talking about Tony Garea and Larry Zybyzko the other day.

Bobholly138 09-24-2014 04:57 AM

My paternal grandparents were huge fans. And once Grandpa died I would go most Saturdays to watch Saturday Night with Grannie.

My Dad watched off and on. And still does. Mom quit watching once UWF folded.

Disturbed316 09-24-2014 05:02 AM

My grand parents did, and would call what I watched (WWF) 'not real wrestling'. Unsure about my parents though.

Nicky Fives 09-24-2014 08:03 AM

My parents and one uncle were casual fans, went to a local show just before I was born "just for the Hell of it".... my mom recalls nothing of the show except a couple of women in the row in front of them going apeshit for The Rougeau Brothers.....

Bobholly138 09-24-2014 09:07 AM

My Grannie was a huge JCP fan. She hated WWF. Through her I got my hatred of Hogan. To her Hogan wasn't a wrestler he was "A muscled up meathead!"

SNLfunnyguy 09-25-2014 06:23 AM

Lord no. Both hated me watching it and it would drive them crazy as I'd watch A LOT.

I still remember Dad's reaction to Goldust in 1996.

loopydate 09-25-2014 10:33 PM

My dad grew up watching Jerry Jarrett, Tojo Yamamoto, and all the dudes from the Kentucky/Tennessee territories growing up. Wasn't a huge WWF fan when I was a kid, but he and my mom always let me watch and they bought me toys and shit. Didn't care much for the Attitude Era, but I was already a teenager, so there's not much they could do about it.

Theo Dious 09-25-2014 11:09 PM

My grandfather used to watch local wrestling on TV with the lady next door. My grandmother would go out on the porch because she couldn't stand them yelling at the TV. One of the neighbors once asked her "are you really okay with them being alone in there?" To which she replied "well as long as I can hear them yelling at that damn show I don't have to worry now do I?"

Theo Dious 09-25-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNLfunnyguy (Post 4517288)
Lord no. Both hated me watching it and it would drive them crazy as I'd watch A LOT.

I still remember Dad's reaction to Goldust in 1996.

So what was his reaction? Was he appalled or aroused?

Cool King 09-26-2014 07:18 AM

My granny still watches wrestling and so does my uncle. They've been watching wrestling for years. Since around the 70's or something like that.

My mum used to enjoy wrestling, but that was when she was a kid and everyone was loving the British wrestlers of Big Daddy, Giant Haystacks, Catweazle, Mick McManus and so on. Back when I began watching, my mum really didn't like my watching it, as it was around the beginning of The Attitude Era and I was just a kid. She didn't like the violence, pretty much everything about the Divas division, and she also didn't like some of the gimmicks, most notably The Godfather and Val Venis.

My great auntie was also a huge fan, way back in the day, as my granny has told me before. I'm sure my great granny was also a wrestling fan. My brother and sister were also wrestling fans but my sister only really watched for a little while in the late 90's and my brother stopped watching around 2004/5.

Most of the wrestling fans have been on my mother's side of the family. When it comes to my father's side of the family, It's only been my dad and I think my uncle, as they too watched wrestling when they were kids but they stopped watching for years, but around the mid 2000's, my dad got into watching SmackDown with one of his best friends but it didn't really last long.

Sixx 09-26-2014 07:36 AM

They only wrestled eachother.

thedarkness214 09-27-2014 03:21 AM

Y0ur m0ms were fanz 0f the legend,,,, thats f0r sure,,,,

and y0ur dads,,, well,,, his c0ck was small,,,

Bobholly138 09-27-2014 08:04 AM

Talked to my aunt and found out my maternal grandparents use to goto the monthly shows in Biloxi. I am assuming it was GCCW and then Mid South.

On my father's side,because of grannie,all my cousins watched back in the 80s. With one cousin still watching. We had planned on going to the Mid South Reunion show that happened the same weekend of WM.

AJHayes 09-30-2014 10:15 PM

My mom and dad went on dates to Green Bay, WI to watch the AWA. Also, my dad is the inspiration for me using the Iron Claw ('Da Claw) as a finish. Dads dad was also a fan.

It's a family tradition, one that I'm trying to take just a bit further.

FourFifty 10-02-2014 03:12 AM

My great uncle was a fan. He enjoyed Haystacks Calhoun and Ricky Starr.

drave 10-02-2014 06:15 AM

Don't know much about what my dad was/wasn't into other than not raising me.

All that aside, the rest of my family was way into it. My grandma's 2nd husband would come over and buy WCW PPV's. I remember that is how I discovered Surfer Sting and Great Muta. I think he bought one of the War Games PPV's which was one of the first wrestling shows I ever watched. Great Muta was always my favorite when I was very young. The ninja-esque + sputa combo was so amazing to me. Both of my older brothers were huge fans too, especially for Macho Man and Warrior.

Heisenberg 10-02-2014 08:38 AM

My dad didn't raise me either

Simple Fan 10-04-2014 08:21 PM

My parents got me into wrestling my dad was a nwo fan and of sourse me as a kid was against the nwo.

Tom Guycott 10-05-2014 01:34 AM

My dad always thought it was stupid, but he's the type that also picked apart movies: especially most military-centric ones "THAT'S not the gun they would use..."

Mom, on the other hand, always was a huge fan, and in her opinion, Undertaker was one of the sexiest men on earth.

RiX1024 10-05-2014 03:51 AM

Both my parents watched the World of Sport wrestling but not fans, I got them into WWE when I first watch it in 99.

Shisen Kopf 10-05-2014 06:51 AM

My parents both think it's stupid. They used to bitch when I would watch it in high school and say "haven't you outgrown that by now?" So now whenever they come over I make sure to put on some old ECW ppvs on the 9.99 network. My grandfather liked it though and I started watching it with him when I was a little kid.