TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   entertainment forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Dark Knight Rises (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=104972)

Blitz 07-24-2010 01:47 AM

The Dark Knight Rises

There's no thread on it, right? Let's do this.

Anyways, release date is July 20, 2012. Filming is supposed to begin next April.

Anyways, what spurred me to make the thread now is this article, in which Joseph Gordon-Levitt is rumoured as the Riddler.

Yes, it's just a rumour, but I am utterly in love with that casting.

Anyways, begin wild speculation.............now.

Skippord 07-24-2010 02:54 AM

I hope that casting happens

doubt it though

Kalyx triaD 07-24-2010 04:24 AM

Carrie Anne Moss as Selina Kyle please.

DrA 07-24-2010 05:26 AM

I'm interested in seeing how they portray The Riddler in this new film. He's very similar to The Joker, especially as cerebral as The Joker was in the last movie, so writing him as an original character could be tricky. However, he does have the potential to be a very intelligent character and is probably the perfect villian to have in these Chrisopher Nolan films. They probably should ditch the green jumpsuit though. A green suit with question marks all over it would be acceptable.

DrA 07-24-2010 05:55 AM

I also read that The Joker isn't going to be in this one at all, which I think would be the right thing to do even if Heath Ledger was still alive. His story was already told well. Any "closure" would feel forced.

Kalyx triaD 07-24-2010 06:19 AM

A simple line about Joker inspiring a new generation of crazies (just as Batman did in a way) would be closure enough. Joker left his mark on Gotham.

Dave Youell 07-24-2010 06:36 PM

If this is going to be Nolan's last one. Let's go all Arkham Asylum on us please.

Oh and David Tennant for the Riddler would be lovely

XCaliber 07-24-2010 06:43 PM

Know that this was supposedly a closed case but bring back Harvey Dent!

El Fangel 07-24-2010 08:12 PM

I would accept only one person if they ever did The Joker again and that person is Johnny Depp.

Having said that, I dont see it happening and its said nto to happen.

Please for the love of christ, dont cast a Robin or Batgirl.

Kalyx triaD 07-24-2010 08:23 PM

Robin I could fathom but where the Hell would a Batgirl come from?

FourFifty 07-24-2010 08:26 PM

I hope they bring in a Robin for two more Batman movies. Of course, in the second movie with Robin they need to recast the Joker for him to kill off Jason Todd.

Jeritron 07-24-2010 08:28 PM

I was walking around the underground tunnels in Chicago where the Joker demolition derby takes place today.
Was just walking somwhere and crossed through it and instantly recognized it, so we hung around for a bit. Twas awesome.

That is all

Jeritron 07-24-2010 08:32 PM

Riddler for sure though. I would bet just about anything on Catwoman, or at least Selina Kyle being in it. I feel even more sure about that than the Riddler.
Mainly because Rachel died in TDK and there's no way they will make the movie without a female lead/love interest. Even though Nolan makes them brilliantly, they're still blockbusters. Selina Kyle/Catwoman is the obvious choice to fill that slot

Lock Jaw 07-24-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD (Post 3172803)
Robin I could fathom but where the Hell would a Batgirl come from?

Barbara Gordon isn't possible, but Cassandra Cain could be. (They won't though)

Skippord 07-25-2010 04:44 AM

I'd like for Hush to be the villain

just a big fan of Hush

Nowhere Man 07-25-2010 06:41 AM

I dunno, there really wasn't much room in Bruce's childhood flashbacks in Begins to incorporate Thomas Elliot, and since an integral part of Hush's backstory was that he and Bruce were childhood friends, it kind of robs Hush of most of his character. Plus I can't imagine the studio going with a lesser-known villain like that to follow up the Joker.

Maybe if they did like in the original Hush graphic novel, where it looked like he was behind it all but in fact Riddler was pulling the strings.

mitchables 07-25-2010 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrA (Post 3172132)
I'm interested in seeing how they portray The Riddler in this new film. He's very similar to The Joker, especially as cerebral as The Joker was in the last movie, so writing him as an original character could be tricky. However, he does have the potential to be a very intelligent character and is probably the perfect villian to have in these Chrisopher Nolan films. They probably should ditch the green jumpsuit though. A green suit with question marks all over it would be acceptable.

jumpsuit hasn't been riddler's main costume since the late 80s. he mostly wears a dark green suit now, but i am a big fan of his depiction in alex ross' justice:

http://tonyznet.com/wonderwoman/comi.../Justice_2.jpg

it's basically his green suit costume with a dark green trench over it, lookin' badass. it would work perfectly in the nolan-verse. plus, they paint him as an obsessive-compulsive who can't help but leave clues for batman about his crimes because of an underlying trauma from his childhood when his father used to beat him for lying. so even though he's this brilliant criminal mind, he's compelled to tell the truth about his actions to appease the demonic torment of his father's influence.

so yeah, riddler and joker can be construed as very similar characters, especially in their surface-level depictions with all their jokes and riddles; but once you move past that into the meat of the character they're actually considerably different both in method and madness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FourFifty (Post 3172806)
I hope they bring in a Robin for two more Batman movies. Of course, in the second movie with Robin they need to recast the Joker for him to kill off Jason Todd.

so what, we're covering the whole story of dick grayson becoming robin, growing dissatisfied with his treatment by batman, leaving and becoming nightwing, bruce then finding and training jason to become the second robin in time for him to already be robin in your hypothetical second film here so we can kill him off?

lame. don't write films.

Jeritron 07-25-2010 05:56 PM

I know that Nolan intentionally left the narrows out of The Dark Knight because they were left in total chaos.
I wouldn't mind, or be suprised, to see that revisited and incorporated into the main conflict somehow

McLegend 07-25-2010 05:59 PM

I'm not really big on The Riddler.

Extreme Angle 07-25-2010 06:09 PM

I heard Johnny Depp was being The Joker :S

El Fangel 07-25-2010 06:31 PM

As long as they dont put nipples on his suit again. I think I could watch any of them.

Fignuts 07-26-2010 12:34 AM

I would like to see the riddler in the role of a rival vigilante detective, like he recently was in the comics. Ending of dark knight actually sets that scenario up perfectly.

Loose Cannon 07-27-2010 09:36 AM

yea, love Riddler.

I would only want to see the Joker in one scene in the movie if he's going to be in it. Just a couple lines to Batman while he's in his cell.

Jura 07-28-2010 12:24 AM

If they did a movie very similar to "Under The Red Hood" it would be amazing.

XL 07-28-2010 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jura (Post 3177030)
If they did a movie very similar to "Under The Red Hood" it would be amazing.

I kinda envisioned Joker as a Hannibal Lecter type that Batman would have to go to in order to understand The Riddler. I once mentioned the idea of having Depp play both. You could shoot Joker from behind in his cell. I think it would have an incredible duality to it.

Corporate CockSnogger 07-28-2010 06:48 AM

I don't really get why so many people are mentioning Johnny Depp.

Kalyx triaD 07-28-2010 07:25 AM

He's kinda awesome.

Sixx 07-28-2010 07:39 AM

If you're a 12 year old girl.

Sixx 07-28-2010 07:39 AM

Nah, he really is a great actor.

Corporate CockSnogger 07-28-2010 07:43 AM

Yeah there's no denying his acting talent but I really wouldn't want to see him in these Batman films.

Kalyx triaD 07-28-2010 07:50 AM

That's where you and a few of us differ, I guess.

Corporate CockSnogger 07-28-2010 07:52 AM

Fair enough I suppose.

Jon Kano 07-28-2010 08:56 AM

Hope they just go with one antagonist. It's the last film Nolan said he would do, dunno if it would be a good idea to introduce two key characters in the last, seems like it would turn into a big mess having to explain the beginning, middle and end of more than one new character in one last film.

Kalyx triaD 07-28-2010 09:16 AM

Each of the movies had multiple villains.

Loose Cannon 07-28-2010 09:40 AM

kind of wish we get a Nolan Bane after they totally raped his character in Batman Forever or whatever that was called

Kalyx triaD 07-28-2010 09:53 AM

He'd certainly have no mask but he'd work.

Jeritron 07-28-2010 01:12 PM

Joker appearing a la Hannibal Lecter was an idea I wanted before Ledger had died. Now that he's dead, I think the character should be retired in this trilogy or series.
Re-casting him is piss poor in concept, regardless of how talented or fitting the actor chosen is. I just don't think it's worth it.
I think there were still avenues to explore with him, but his story was wrapped up pretty well and there are no loose ends so there's no need to mess with something that just about everyone agrees was magic.

Buzzkill 07-28-2010 02:59 PM

Nolan has said the Joker will not make an appearance

El Fangel 07-28-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeritron (Post 3177406)
Joker appearing a la Hannibal Lecter was an idea I wanted before Ledger had died. Now that he's dead, I think the character should be retired in this trilogy or series.
Re-casting him is piss poor in concept, regardless of how talented or fitting the actor chosen is. I just don't think it's worth it.
I think there were still avenues to explore with him, but his story was wrapped up pretty well and there are no loose ends so there's no need to mess with something that just about everyone agrees was magic.

Completely agree, sad though since he is Batmans best known enemy.

In response to what was previously stated "Why Johnny Depp?"

Edward Scissorhands, Morten Rainey, Jack Sparrow, The Mad Hatter

Those characters seem real when Johnny did them, to the extent that you are watching these characters and not Johnny Depp portraying them. He distances himself from being Johnny Depp and becomes the character in the movie and I cant name a single actor that can do that as well as he can.

dronepool 07-28-2010 03:52 PM

^ He also played Hunter Thompson/Raoul Duke really well.