TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   video games forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Biggest disappointment (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=117694)

El Fangel 02-27-2012 12:37 AM

Biggest disappointment

What game or games excited you, were hyped beyond belief only to leave you disappointed and wondering what happened.

For me, Jet Li Rise to Honor, The commercials had it as a fun looking fighting game and totally badass. It felt tedious and jerky at times and I remember dying several times pretty unfairly. Never finished it.

Another that springs to mind is Super Mario World 2,.perhaps nothing would match the first so this might be unfair but it felt weird playing as Yoshi after the original.

FFX-2, I haven't played any since.

Lastly, Gears of War. I thought this would be far better then Halo and be more fun to play. It only ever came across as an average shooter to me.

Destor 02-27-2012 12:48 AM

Skyrim easily

El Fangel 02-27-2012 12:59 AM

Care to elaborate? If you are due to the story I can see it. Just wondering if anything else.

Destor 02-27-2012 01:15 AM

1. main story was poor
  2. the ps3 port was completely broken for anything over 40hrs
  3. endless fetch quests with no personality life or real variance
  4. non stop hack and slash violence missions (a mjor departure for the franchise that used to boast both a large variety and some very quirky missions)
  5. several guilds are still largely broken no matter the platform
  6. the fighters guild is a also very terrible by any gaming standard
  7. ...the mages guild is pretty shit too
  8. broken crafting systems
  9. broken mage dam output
  10. removal of spell crafting (a staple of the franchise)
  11. being held by the hand through the enitre game (basically follow the glowing arrow spawning out of your feet till the mission solves itself [again huge departure from the franchise oblvion was bad about it but that took it to another level with skyim to the point i dont see why the Bandit leader you're supposed to go kill doesnt just start traveling across the world to get you and then kills himself once he's in eye sight. it would cut out a lot of fluff.])
  12. like oblivion no rare items are worth it due to poor (see: awful) item scaling (and scaling rare items to begin with)
  13. like oblivion you're punished for leveling up especially at high levels when you've maxed your dam outputs but the NPCs get to keep raising past cap in both dam and hp bassically killing the game out right unless you break the game with the awful crafting systems
  14. did i mention how the was less than no reward for the civil war arc? rediculous
  15. the removal of every skill that defines kajiit
  16. still annoyed about no attributes but its the trend these days
  17. for a game that is centered around stealing bioshocks gameplay and pushing nothing but combat you think they would have had some depth to it...sadly after 10hours you've seen it all
  18. stealth is broken
  19. especially with a bow
  20. i could keep going but im bored

El Fangel 02-27-2012 02:02 AM

Perhaps this is a bigger issue with you then myself as it was my first Elder Scroll game and I don't have a reference point from which to compare.

I have to say, what bothered me the most was the lack of variety of monsters in the wild. It seemed the only thing that truly was a threat was giants. Even the dragons were unusually easy with the difficulty at maximum.

The story was so disappointing and anticlimatic. When I killed Alduin I was like "That seriously can't be the end, can it"

I checked my gamerscore and saved. Haven't played it since.

Captain of Fun 02-27-2012 02:34 AM

Mercenaries 2

Captain of Fun 02-27-2012 02:39 AM

Also, FF VIII.

El Fangel 02-27-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3781225)
Also, FF VIII.

This was the first FF I ever played,the gameplay was fun but the story was something that Meyer would like.

Captain of Fun 02-27-2012 02:46 AM

Characters were bland and unlikable as well. I was coming off of FF VII, which was my first rpg since the first Dragon Warrior. VII's characters may be simple archetypes, but they are far more endearing than the shitheads you get to choose from in VIII.

CSL 02-27-2012 02:46 AM

Formula 1 98

El Fangel 02-27-2012 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3781231)
Characters were bland and unlikable as well. I was coming off of FF VII, which was my first rpg since the first Dragon Warrior. VII's characters may be simple archetypes, but they are far more endearing than the shitheads you get to choose from in VIII.

Fairly certain the only character I liked was Chickenwuss.

Awaits KK calling you and I fanboys for liking FF7.

Captain of Fun 02-27-2012 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fallen Angel (Post 3781246)
Fairly certain the only character I liked was Chickenwuss.

Awaits KK calling you and I fanboys for liking FF7.

Perish the thought.

But seriously, I was like 14, and it was only my second rpg, with the first being an archaic, clunky NES game. What's your excuse?

El Fangel 02-27-2012 03:23 AM

Bitch, please. My first RPG WAS FF8.

Captain of Fun 02-27-2012 03:27 AM

Have you ever played Dragon Warrior? You have to go into the menu, and select an option just to walk down stairs.

El Fangel 02-27-2012 04:06 AM

How about we agree they were each awful first RPG's and leave it at that.

LoDownM 02-27-2012 04:11 AM

Recently, Homefront, still haven't beat it.

All time, I don't know, have to think about it. Off the top of my head I'd have to say FF10. That's mostly because of the lack of a world map and the sphere leveling shit tho. And blitzball.

SlickyTrickyDamon 02-27-2012 04:17 AM

My biggest dissapointment was how hard the final mission for China was in Command and Conquer Generals. No matter how quickly I took out (or captured) the first GLA base the other one would whoop my ass.

LoDownM 02-27-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 3781267)
My biggest dissapointment was how hard the final mission for China was in Command and Conquer Generals. No matter how quickly I took out (or captured) the first GLA base the other one would whoop my ass.

Don't remember it being that hard, then again it was awhile ago, and since I always play "defense first" in RTS games, I probably had 4 rows of upgraded gattling cannons.

Fryza 02-27-2012 03:15 PM

Over-all, Final Fantasy 7.

Recently, X-Men Destiny.

Emperor Smeat 02-27-2012 04:01 PM

God of War 1 on the PS2, Gear of War 1 on the Xbox 360, The Conduit on the Wii, and Castlevania on the N64. Probably have more if I really thought about games that ended up as huge dissapointments but those are the ones that pop up right now.

Either got annoyed by the controls or certain moments that ended up killing my interest in the games.

Halo 3 is another and its all because of that one level along with the constant screen flickering every time Gravemind would speak. It was pretty neat at first but overused way too much to the point I kept getting headaches during his level.

Kane Knight 02-27-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryza (Post 3781553)
Over-all, Final Fantasy 7.

Recently, X-Men Destiny.

Awaits Fangerl spazzing out for you not liking FF7.

DAMN iNATOR 02-27-2012 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Destor (Post 3781200)
  1. main story was poor
  2. the ps3 port was completely broken for anything over 40hrs
  3. endless fetch quests with no personality life or real variance
  4. non stop hack and slash violence missions (a mjor departure for the franchise that used to boast both a large variety and some very quirky missions)
  5. several guilds are still largely broken no matter the platform
  6. the fighters guild is a also very terrible by any gaming standard
  7. ...the mages guild is pretty shit too
  8. broken crafting systems
  9. broken mage dam output
  10. removal of spell crafting (a staple of the franchise)
  11. being held by the hand through the enitre game (basically follow the glowing arrow spawning out of your feet till the mission solves itself [again huge departure from the franchise oblvion was bad about it but that took it to another level with skyim to the point i dont see why the Bandit leader you're supposed to go kill doesnt just start traveling across the world to get you and then kills himself once he's in eye sight. it would cut out a lot of fluff.])
  12. like oblivion no rare items are worth it due to poor (see: awful) item scaling (and scaling rare items to begin with)
  13. like oblivion you're punished for leveling up especially at high levels when you've maxed your dam outputs but the NPCs get to keep raising past cap in both dam and hp bassically killing the game out right unless you break the game with the awful crafting systems
  14. did i mention how the was less than no reward for the civil war arc? rediculous
  15. the removal of every skill that defines kajiit
  16. still annoyed about no attributes but its the trend these days
  17. for a game that is centered around stealing bioshocks gameplay and pushing nothing but combat you think they would have had some depth to it...sadly after 10hours you've seen it all
  18. stealth is broken
  19. especially with a bow
  20. i could keep going but im bored

@ #5 and #6 on your list it's the Companions and the College of Winterhold; those two don't go by their old names anymore for whatever reason. Not a criticism, just thought I'd point that out.

Destor 02-27-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR (Post 3781673)
@ #5 and #6 on your list it's the Companions and the College of Winterhold; those two don't go by their old names anymore for whatever reason. Not a criticism, just thought I'd point that out.

:roll:

Pintint 02-27-2012 08:37 PM

So far, Brink. Splash Damage's previous games were extremely addicting (Quake Wars & Wolf : Enemy Territory), but Brink was really boring and lifeless...

Savio 02-27-2012 10:40 PM

For some reason I thought "Backyard Wrestling" would be awesome.......:nono:

DAMN iNATOR 02-28-2012 10:30 AM

I'd like to forget the major misstep I made pre-ordering Duke Nukem Forever last year...

Captain of Fun 02-28-2012 10:49 AM

I never "got" the hype for Duke Nukem Forever. It was blatantly obvious that it was going to be mediocre from a gameplay standpoint. I understand the whole nostalgia thing. Afterall, I grew up around the time DN was at it's peak, but 60 dollars is quite a bit to pay for a little bit of nostalgia.

Kane Knight 02-28-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3782708)
I never "got" the hype for Duke Nukem Forever. It was blatantly obvious that it was going to be mediocre from a gameplay standpoint. I understand the whole nostalgia thing. Afterall, I grew up around the time DN was at it's peak, but 60 dollars is quite a bit to pay for a little bit of nostalgia.

It's not just nostalgia, but wishful thinking. DNF was going to reinvent the genre. Turn it on its ear. Save us from COD and Battlefield.

DAMN iNATOR 02-28-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain of Fun (Post 3782708)

And I was a victim of the hype once it was finally known that it would actually be released. And the worst part? I opted for the "Balls of Steel" edition which ended up costing me another not-well spent $40+.:nono: More like "Balls of FAIL".

Kane Knight 02-28-2012 03:43 PM

That describes most of the things you do, Damn nig gator.

Captain of Fun 02-28-2012 03:45 PM

"Balls of FAIL" he says.

Fryza 02-28-2012 03:46 PM

Duke Nukem Forever wasn't a disappointment for me on the two reasons that I had never played a Duke Nukem game before, and I snagged a copy of the game for five bucks.

It's hard for me to be disappointed at five dollar games most of the time.

Hanso Amore 02-29-2012 10:03 AM

TOO HUMAN

Fucking with my love of all things Norse. Was horrible.

the New Medal of Honor was horrible.

FF13 was hot garbage. so was FF12. And FF11...

Kane Knight 02-29-2012 10:33 AM

Too Human was an okay game. It fell victim to being overhyped. Especially considering it took like 30 years to bring out.

Crazy Nick 03-02-2012 12:06 AM

WrestleMania 21 for the XBOX, I thought that this just might be the only good wrestling game on the original XBOX, man was I disappointed. The graphics were great but the gameplay was extremely broken.

Raven Reaper 03-02-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoDownM (Post 3781263)
Recently, Homefront, still haven't beat it.

Haha. I finished that game on normal mode.. Even on that diffculty level, I still died from many machine gun turret shots.. Fucking korean assholes. The intro is just realistic..

My disappointment:

1. Super Street Fighter IV on Xbox. the controls and fatal power ups are hard to figure it out. I tried pressing all sorts of buttons. Can't seem to pull it off.

2. Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Limited characters and stages.

3. Dead Island. ONLY melee weapons I can find throughout the game and pointless quests like looking for a ring and champagne for the self centered survivors. I can never find shotguns on this game too..

XCaliber 03-02-2012 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RVDNick (Post 3785227)
WrestleMania 21 for the XBOX, I thought that this just might be the only good wrestling game on the original XBOX, man was I disappointed. The graphics were great but the gameplay was extremely broken.

I'm gonna take back my original comment and will agree with this instead this game was so bad somehow I managed to forget about it.

Fryza 03-02-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kane Knight (Post 3783712)
Too Human was an okay game. It fell victim to being overhyped. Especially considering it took like 30 years to bring out.

I felt the biggest problem was the melee controls. Using the stick to attack (like Geometry Wars) was unneeded.

Several times I'd see an enemy, flick the stick, and vigorously attack the wall for something it didn't do.

Kane Knight 03-02-2012 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fryza (Post 3785571)
I felt the biggest problem was the melee controls. Using the stick to attack (like Geometry Wars) was unneeded.

Several times I'd see an enemy, flick the stick, and vigorously attack the wall for something it didn't do.

Yeah. Don't take away camera controls!

Also, right stick to shoot works fine in games where you don't need to turn the camera around. Action games usually need that.

Testicle 03-02-2012 05:49 PM

OMFG, the Medal of Honor after Frontline.