TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   WCW/ECW Ring vs WWF Ring (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=126192)

James Steele 03-12-2014 01:40 AM

WCW/ECW Ring vs WWF Ring

After going on a multi-day binge on WWE Network, I am reminded of something I used to wonder about when I was younger. WCW and ECW's ring made a much more pronounced and different noise when people were slammed and stuff than the WWF ring. Anybody know why this is and/or what causes this?

Wolverine 03-12-2014 08:58 AM

A WWE ring was made with an all steel frame and plywood for the flooring, where as WCW only used steel posts and a wood frame wood planks as the flooring (I believe ECW used the same set up).

Bad News Gertner 03-12-2014 10:21 AM

WWE's ring was friggen brutal and stiff as hell compared to WCW/ECW.

I remember this one time I wrestled Lenny Lane in a dark match in 1996 in Peoria for the WWF and my back was a mess for three days.

Shisen Kopf 03-12-2014 11:12 AM

Wcw/ecw/wwe rings all lack the honor and workrate compared to other rassle Feds with honor.

DrCrawford 03-12-2014 11:32 AM

I miss the WCW ring, although I remember reading that people would often slip on the logo.

BTW, I preferred the black ropes and gray canvas of WCW

WWE's white ropes look awful

CSL 03-12-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolverine (Post 4393647)
A WWE ring was made with an all steel frame and plywood for the flooring, where as WCW only used steel posts and a wood frame wood planks as the flooring (I believe ECW used the same set up).

I'd be very surprised if this was the case post like 1980-odd in terms of using a wooden ring, especially in the "big leagues"

I'd bet it's pretty much simply down to a different set up in terms of sound/the ring mics volume levels, namely that they were turned way up in WCW, and the fact that WCW and ECW used a smaller, more compact ring compared to WWF/E's monster rings. I believe the only real difference between the rings themselves (at the end) were the ropes (WCW used heavy steel cable ropes again adding to the compactness/"rigidity", WWF/E the traditional coated/covered ropes)

Executioner 03-12-2014 06:21 PM

Haven't more WWF/E ropes broke than WCW/ECW? I've seen both styles of ropes used live and it always seemed like the cables worked better than actual rope.

Savio 03-12-2014 11:19 PM

I remember hearing Foley say he hated the WWE ring because it was harder and had less bounce than the others.

Wolverine 03-13-2014 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSL (Post 4393726)
I'd be very surprised if this was the case post like 1980-odd in terms of using a wooden ring, especially in the "big leagues"

I'd bet it's pretty much simply down to a different set up in terms of sound/the ring mics volume levels, namely that they were turned way up in WCW, and the fact that WCW and ECW used a smaller, more compact ring compared to WWF/E's monster rings. I believe the only real difference between the rings themselves (at the end) were the ropes (WCW used heavy steel cable ropes again adding to the compactness/"rigidity", WWF/E the traditional coated/covered ropes)

And this may be right, I'm going off of both a site I read it on but it gave no background info on if/when rings set up changed, and a friend of mine who had helped set up those rings, There were differences in the ropes and I know WCW/ECW used a heavier material for the turnbuckles (at least from what I've heard). Though I do believe the frames were different between the two as well, maybe not a wood frame but now I'm going into speculation on stuff I don't know enough about.

Bad News Gertner 03-13-2014 10:11 AM

The rings were also mic'd differently.

Seth82 03-13-2014 11:08 PM

I believe WCW used elevator cable for the ropes.

Tom Guycott 03-13-2014 11:46 PM

They may have been mic'd differently, but that doesn't explain the difference in the sound itself. That's like saying the sound of hitting a baseball with a wooden bat and an aluminum bat is different from one another because your hearing aid is in the wrong ear. Running steps, stomps, and slams had a different sound (mostly going WWE vs WCW here), one was more of a dull thud (WWE) and the other would be more of a sharper crack (WCW). Also, as stated a couple of other points in the thread, it has been said by many other people besides Foley and Gertner that WWE rings have "less give". A more rigid suspension means less vibration on impact and also less things slapping together underneath.

Asmo 03-19-2014 10:16 AM

Just leaving this in here: http://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=118104

The Rogerer 03-20-2014 09:24 AM

Wasn't Foley's ear episode due to them using the elevator cables in Germany? Or perhaps it was the ring crew tightened them more than they needed?

Bobholly138 03-20-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rogerer (Post 4397566)
Wasn't Foley's ear episode due to them using the elevator cables in Germany? Or perhaps it was the ring crew tightened them more than they needed?

I think it was because of both issues.

Savio 03-20-2014 08:13 PM

Someone who wrestled before him complained of them being too loose, so they tightened them up pretty tight.