TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   sports forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Baseball Talk: Your own team of really really good. (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=125825)

Frank Drebin 01-21-2014 10:55 PM

Baseball Talk: Your own team of really really good.

After the HOF names have been announced, talk always starts up about those in "The Hall of Really Good" who were just missing something that prevents them from getting into the Hall. What team could you put together of these types of players? They don't have to be the best player at their position not in the Hall, but just someone you have memories of being really good. This is after all, the Hall of Really Good.

Ill start with mine. Sound off with comments about others lists and posts some kind of list of your own. Lets talk about baseball.

C: Charles Johnson
I admittedly don't know a hell of a lot about him, but I know he was about as dominant a defender as I've seen, which says a lot for the position he played. I dunno. Always seemed to keep baserunners off balance.

1B: Fred Mcgriff
Pretty much the number 1 example of the Hall of Really Good. Never dominant, but was All-Star caliber for just about his whole career. Never got to a magic number, never won any big awards, but was always a tough hitter to face,

2B: Jay Bell
Here's a guy who spent his time toiling in obscurity in Pitt. Maybe he was drinking spiked coffee in '99 but I always remember hating seeing him in the 2 spot in the lineup ahead of the big boppers knowing he knew how to work a count and get on base.

3B: (Crazy) Edgardo Alfonso.
Just remember him being a beast for something like a 5-year stretch.

SS: Jeff Blauser
Always a Cub killer. Seemed like he got a hit everytime.

LF: Garrett Anderson
Another Fred McGriff type who was really good for a really long time, but never can close to sniffing the Hall.

CF: Chilli Davis
Yup

RF: Brian Giles
If he played in a big market on a good team in a place like Boston or New York, would have had some big post-season moments and would assuredly have been closer. Dominant for only 4 years, and a career 400 OBP.

DH: John Olerud
Dude was just a hitter. Pure and simple. Dude had a 473 OBP in '93. He got on base almost half the time. Good gravy.

SP: Dave Stieb
Never understood why he wasn't talked about more. Another guy up in a smaller market during his best years.

RP: Rod Beck
Just f'n loved that guy.

Anyway.....what do you think?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Fe93CLbHjxQ?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bad News Gertner 01-22-2014 01:14 AM

People bitch that Jack Morris isn't in the HOF, but Dave Stieb was pretty much better across the board.

screech 01-26-2014 10:52 AM

John Olerud 100p. Only thing he couldn't do well was run.

The Condor 01-26-2014 12:53 PM

Personally, Ron Santo and Jim Rice don't deserve to be there and Jeff Kent, Larry Walker, Tim Raines, and Edgar Martinez are gettin the shaft it would seem.

As for your list of very goods: Olerud is a no brainer along with Paul O'Neill, Mark Grudzielanek(look at the stats), and guys like Mike Sweeney and David Wells. Have a feeling Johan Santana might be in here someday because of his bad luck and going to the Mets.

DaveWadding 01-26-2014 01:09 PM

Edgar, Ron Santo was the best 3B alive before Mike Schmidt came along. Period. Look it up.

Bad News Gertner 01-26-2014 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screech (Post 4366844)
John Olerud 100p. Only thing he couldn't do well was run.

Lol C3P0

screech 01-26-2014 01:28 PM

Dude was awesome lol

DaveBrawl 01-26-2014 01:55 PM

C: Joe Girardi
1B: Todd Helton
2B: Eric Young
3B: Vinny Castilla
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
OF: Larry Walker
OF: Ellis Burks
OF: Dante Bichette
DH: Andres Galarraga
SP: Jeff Francis
RP: John Rocker

SlickyTrickyDamon 01-26-2014 03:03 PM

What about PED-use that would probably disqualify them for being in the Hall of Fame? Should we not include obvious cheats?

SlickyTrickyDamon 01-26-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveBrawl (Post 4366940)
C: Joe Girardi
1B: Todd Helton
2B: Eric Young
3B: Vinny Castilla
SS: Troy Tulowitzki
OF: Larry Walker
OF: Ellis Burks
OF: Dante Bichette
DH: Andres Galarraga
SP: Jeff Francis
RP: John Rocker

Why wouldn't Andres Galarraga make the Hall?

Frank Drebin 01-26-2014 04:15 PM

Cuz dogs rule and cats drool.

DaveBrawl 01-26-2014 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon (Post 4366981)
Why wouldn't Andres Galarraga make the Hall?

He may very well make it, but I just wanted to include him in my all Rockies and John Rocker lineup.

Droford 01-26-2014 11:11 PM

Im having a hard time coming up with a full lineup, but the first guy that popped into my mind is 1B/DH Mo Vaughn. Seemed like he always killed the Orioles in the 90's. I know he's dead to rights for PED use but anyway.

The Condor 01-27-2014 05:46 PM

Chuck and Steve Finley.

Frank Drebin 01-27-2014 06:24 PM

Angels are full of em. Jim Abbott, Wally Joyner.

Bad News Gertner 01-28-2014 05:44 AM

Albert Belle

Frank Drebin 01-28-2014 07:05 PM

http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/wp...lay_image.jpeg

The Condor 01-29-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Drebin (Post 4369363)

That moment inspired me to truck a kid in Little League. They do not condone such actions in little league as I found out. BJ Surhoff was a bad mamajamma for a period

Bad News Gertner 01-29-2014 03:58 AM

Carlos Delgado should be included.

Droford 01-29-2014 04:09 AM

OF - Juan Gonzalez..RBI machine

SP - Jack McDowell - dude was a solid starter, won 20 games back to back and a Cy Young. Shame his career had to go careening off a cliff when he turned 30..
SP - Kevin Brown - steroids would have kept him out of the hall anyway, but he was a pretty solid pitcher in the 90s..

The Condor 01-29-2014 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveWadding (Post 4366905)
Edgar, Ron Santo was the best 3B alive before Mike Schmidt came along. Period. Look it up.

Wadding, you're a solid dude. But I just don't get the whole Santo deal. Perhaps my lack of proximity to Chicago..

screech 01-29-2014 08:55 PM

Lance Berkman

Frank Drebin 01-30-2014 05:29 PM

....and now Michael Young.

Evil Vito 02-09-2014 03:20 PM

<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, I have found memories of Olerud and Fonzie on the Mets. I don't think Keith Hernandez ever got enough love from HOF voters. He wasn't your prototypical power 1B but he still hit for a high average, drove in runs, and was basically a defensive genius while also serving as captain of the Mets during one of the best stretches in their history.

Oh I have to give John Franco some love too. I never expected him to make the HOF but the fact that he went one-and-done on the ballot is sad. I'm guessing many of the voters felt his numbers were more of a result of longevity rather than sustained excellence, but he had some really good years.</font>

Hanso Amore 02-09-2014 05:51 PM

If olerud was born 15 years later he would be a sabremeticians wet dream.

The Condor 03-04-2014 11:28 AM

Frank Catalanotto was a solid dude, as was Ellis Burks and Jim Edmonds.