TPWW Forums

TPWW Forums (https://www.tpwwforums.com/index.php)
-   wrestling forum (https://www.tpwwforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Last time something in wrestling truly shocked you (https://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=79872)

Zeeboe 05-26-2008 07:00 PM

Last time something in wrestling truly shocked you

For me, it was when Bischoff had showed up on Raw for the very first time back in 2002. It had been months since I read anything wrestling related on the net, and when he showed up...I was truly shocked. I remember I dropped the remote, and held my mouth open in total shockness for several minutes.

Looking back, I was behaving like a total mark. But I was still into wrestling then, and I don't know why but I just never thought in a billion years Bischoff would ever show up on WWE TV. It just wasn't something I ever once consider could happen. It was like it wasn't possible, and when it happened...I actually had chill bumps.

Savio 05-26-2008 07:02 PM

When Brock decided to just leave.

Destor 05-26-2008 07:03 PM

When Regal jobbed last Monday I was caught off guard.

Rob 05-26-2008 07:07 PM

Benoit double murder.

Rob 05-26-2008 07:07 PM

And if that isn't enough, fans cheering him after it.

NeanderCarl 05-26-2008 07:11 PM

Cena entering the Rumble this year. Big surprise.

Also, they totally gave away what would have been an amazing shock debut for Bischoff by showing him backstage with Booker in a skit before he came out on stage. Some of the impact was lost by doing that rather than just bringing him right out, in my view.

Lord-Of-Darkness 05-26-2008 07:11 PM

That time Cena overcame the odds. I couldn't beleive it.

Theo Dious 05-26-2008 07:11 PM

Matt Hardy showing up on Raw and attacking Edge. I was pretty shocked by that.

Lord-Of-Darkness 05-26-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Class Act Carl (Post 2167118)

Also, they totally gave away what would have been an amazing shock debut for Bischoff by showing him backstage with Booker in a skit before he came out on stage. Some of the impact was lost by doing that rather than just bringing him right out, in my view.

I've always thought that. If they just had Vince introduce him on stage it would have been alot better. But as soon as they showed him, it was obvious he wasn't just 'there' for another reason.

Lord-Of-Darkness 05-26-2008 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthTedious (Post 2167120)

I was racking my brain to think of the last time WWE truely shocked me, and I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.

Xero 05-26-2008 07:14 PM

Aside from the Benoit incident...

Cena returning at the Rumble caught me entirely off guard.

Also, Angle going to TNA.

Y2Ant 05-26-2008 07:21 PM

The debut of the Shockmaster.

Theo Dious 05-26-2008 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-Of-Darkness (Post 2167123)
I was racking my brain to think of the last time WWE truely shocked me, and I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.

It was in my mind to say Vince's limo exploding, but for some weird reason I half-expected it to happen. I don't know if I could have said "OMG it's going to blow up, honestly I think it was more like someone was going to suicide drive their car into him. Point being, something about the way it played out led me to expect SOMETHING, so I wasn't too shocked with it.

Everything about the Hardy deal shocked me though. Until it occurred to me that an ex-employee assaulting the man who stole his girlfriend would lead them to cut the monitors, most of me was at least half-convinced it was real. Nothing has really shocked me since then.

The Benoit thing, I don't count since I rather thought the thread was aimed towards "last time something WWE did" and not "something a deraged wrestler did." Though come to think of it, HHH's sudden use of the crossface was mildly shocking too.

Theo Dious 05-26-2008 07:53 PM

Other memorable shock moments include Vince's insanity promo where he announced he was bringing in the nWo, Undertaker's bell going off at the Royal Rumble in '04, the WCW buyout, and Hall and Nash showing up on WCW.

My first ever shock moment was when Marty Janetty tried to dive through the Barbershop window to escape from Shawn Michaels.

What an act of cowardism.

U-Warrior 05-26-2008 07:59 PM

Angle on TNA announcement

Lord-Of-Darkness 05-26-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthTedious (Post 2167144)

My first ever shock moment was when Marty Janetty tried to dive through the Barbershop window to escape from Shawn Michaels.

What an act of cowardism.

:rofl::lol::rofl::lol:

Hanso Amore 05-26-2008 08:39 PM

Edge cashing in the MITB and beating Cena.

I couldnt believe they did it. Something that actually made sense/was exciting/got viewers.

JH 05-26-2008 08:42 PM

Cena at the Rumble

jindrak 05-26-2008 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JH (Post 2167182)
Cena at the Rumble

I was live at MSG, and I was marking out just as much as the 5 year old kid in front of me.

The One 05-26-2008 10:52 PM

The Benoit weekend.

Storyline though I'd have to go with Eric Bischoff showing up on RAW.

El Fangel 05-26-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarthTedious (Post 2167120)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord-Of-Darkness (Post 2167123)

Fox 05-26-2008 10:58 PM

I think the obvious answer here is Cena at the Royal Rumble. NOBODY expected him to show up, let alone win the damn thing. He was supposed to be on the sidelines for 8 more fucking months.

I also think a lot of us have tried to put it out of our minds. It was a horrible night.

James Steele 05-26-2008 11:41 PM

Storyline wise-

I was shocked and fucking pissed by Cena coming in at the Rumble. Before that, it was Edge cashing in MITB. I fucking marked out like a mother fucker.

Mr. Nerfect 05-27-2008 01:02 AM

Am I the only one who wasn't shocked by Cena entering the Rumble? We were all making "Cena wins" jokes on the boards before it happened, and even though dirt sheets said he'd be gone a while, they said the same thing about Mr. Kennedy, who was back in a number of weeks, with the same kind of injury.

I wasn't shocked. More depressed. "They just couldn't wait, could they?" was my reaction. And once he came out #30, if you didn't see him winning, you are an idiot.

Mr. Nerfect 05-27-2008 01:03 AM

I can't remember the last time I was actually shocked. I mean, some good examples here, but none of them flat-out surprised me. They were small shocks, but The Undertaker being stripped of the World Heavyweight Title, and Chris Jericho vs. Shawn Michaels being signed for Judgment Day both sort of surprised me.

Orton retaining at WrestleMania, as well.

Can't remember the last time I was completely pleasantly surprised by something.

Mr. Nerfect 05-27-2008 01:06 AM

Once he parted ways with the WWE, Kurt Angle signing with TNA was exciting, but pretty expected. However, his actual parting with the WWE shocked the crap out of me.

Nervous Ferret 05-27-2008 01:06 AM

when ANDY the gnat BODDYSLAMMERED hulk hogen

Heros Welcome 05-27-2008 01:23 AM

Angle going to TNA. Litteraly fell out of my seat. Then said TNA is now in line for a push in ratings and fanbase and things are going to get great!!

.....yeah....I still fell out of my seat, but the latter part was waaaay off.

Rammsteinmad 05-27-2008 02:46 AM

Edge's first Title win.

FourFifty 05-27-2008 02:48 AM

When I saw this I had to watch it 10 times.

Seriously.
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIeeD-mLGIA&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xIeeD-mLGIA&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

El Fangel 05-27-2008 02:49 AM

:rofl:

FourFifty 05-27-2008 02:52 AM

I thought Ron was going to come back full time.... I was hyped, what can I say?

The Optimist 05-27-2008 03:30 AM

When Cena came into the Rumble I was shocked, in the sad way. I was full on, and totally expecting Big Show. Completely and fully, the dirt sheets were saying that he was preparing to come back and it was the thirtieth spot, so I was revved up for the whole Rumble to see him. When it happened, God, I can't even describe the dissappointment.

Also, I'm glad people can come up with some recent shocking events.

Xero 05-27-2008 01:21 PM

It seems the best way to shock us is to feed fake news to the news sites then do the exact opposite, or at the very least keep it under wraps. Angle worked the internet perfectly. They did the same with Cena at the Rumble.

I wish they'd do it more often. Those two actually made me look forward to watching their product, at least for a week or two. And especially for TNA, that's a hard thing to do currently.

Savio 05-27-2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 2167112)
Benoit double murder.

eh I had a feeling

Inadequacy 05-27-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savior (Post 2168033)
eh I had a feeling

Yeah, all the dirt sheets were talking about it.

Indifferent Clox 05-27-2008 05:00 PM

I remember thinking as soon as he was announced to be in the ECW title thing, "they're gonna do some thing where he kills his family and and puts bibles by their bodies and then kills himself, so predictable!"

I mean no way they were actually gonna give him the push!

addy2hotty 05-27-2008 06:43 PM

Regal beating CM Punk to win KOTR

KingofKings 05-30-2008 07:49 AM

Its hard to get shocked anymore when u live in UK dont watch the shows live n read wrestling forums because everything is discussed before we get to see it in the UK, but before i started looking at forums alot it was probably the Bischoff on raw.

For me BRING BACK BISHCOFF!!

I would have loved to see NWO lead by bischoff Vs WWE stable lead by mcmahon!! Why did this never happen, after WCW ended it could have been an NWO invasion, but obviously they just wanted to run their contract out sittin on their asses!

Gertner 05-30-2008 12:33 PM

Cena entering the Rumble